ImageImageImageImageImage

What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#1 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:23 am

Clearly he's not performing like he was earlier in the season, similar to last season's beginning. I mean he clearly shows how dominate he can be since he did show his skill and how good he can be.. Is it just that he can't handle so many game in short amount of time? Is it Timmy being out? Jarret MF Jack? What is it??

My personal opinion is that he can't handle being a #1 option due him being so soft and weak.

KP was playing like a superstar, now he's lucky if he's on an all star level.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#2 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:27 am

Some of it is on him, he also has awful coaching and his teammates aren't really good.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#3 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:29 am

When you have a habit of taking bad shots at a high rate, you're never going to be a consistent shooter. Midrange contested jumpers that went in November have a habit of not going in in January.
bkzfinest11
Rookie
And1: 244

Post#4 » by bkzfinest11 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:30 am

Thugger HBC wrote:Some of it is on him, he also has awful coaching and his teammates aren't really good.

wasnt this the case with melo all these years?
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#5 » by Fat » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:30 am

blame the girlfriend
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#6 » by br7knicks » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:31 am

i was crucified because i said we need to expect he's going to hit that wall at some point this season. i'm sorry i'm one of the few who are not drinking the KP kool-aid. i need to see a few years of consistent play.

the **** needs to learn better defensive discipline. and as the leader, he needs to set the example of hustling his ass off every possession. i'm not a fan of his. he needs to earn it. melo clearly didn't with his play, KP is not far behind. i wouldn't mind a better coach coming in, one who will hold him accountable, and break the habits he's developed since he's joined the NBA with the knicks
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#7 » by CrazyKnicks » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:31 am

Difficult for anyone to keep the level of play he had at the beginning of the year. Fatigue and the physicality of the league wears players down especially a young guy like KP.

Our second option in THJ is out as well and we don't have much talent anyways. So all that factors in. KP isn't as good as he was at the beginning and not as bad as he is now. Just growing pains with a young player with not much of a supporting cast.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,949

Post#8 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:33 am

- Hardaway injury.
- Nagging injuries.
- Lack of good PG play.
- Defenses scheming him, he has to learn how to combat that.

I mean it's not really that complicated, people got so excited with how he came out guns blazing that now compared to that, people seem to think he's trash. I don't get it, I mean he's still pretty good...
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
bkzfinest11
Rookie

Post#9 » by bkzfinest11 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:35 am

br7knicks wrote:i was crucified because i said we need to expect he's going to hit that wall at some point this season. i'm sorry i'm one of the few who are not drinking the KP kool-aid. i need to see a few years of consistent play.

the **** needs to learn better defensive discipline. and as the leader, he needs to set the example of hustling his ass off every possession. i'm not a fan of his. he needs to earn it. melo clearly didn't with his play, KP is not far behind. i wouldn't mind a better coach coming in, one who will hold him accountable, and break the habits he's developed since he's joined the NBA with the knicks

support every word. KP is fake, only reason he is relevant is because he plays for Knicks. Any other team he would just be a player.He can opt out and go to who ever he wants, his frame is not built for 13+ year of winning basketball seasons. KP apologist about to rain down on you.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#10 » by Greenie » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:35 am

Nothing. This is who he has shown himself to be. You know it, now build a team that will cover his weaknesses.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#11 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:36 am

br7knicks wrote:i was crucified because i said we need to expect he's going to hit that wall at some point this season. i'm sorry i'm one of the few who are not drinking the KP kool-aid. i need to see a few years of consistent play.

His shot selection has been poor all season. A hot start tends to fade when you continue to take poor shots. This was always the Melo excuse "Those are shots I normally make" No they're not or else your shooting percentage would reflect it. As far as holding him accountable he's already been handed the keys to City Hall and is a DOlan cash cow so we're looking again at a musical chairs of a coaches who come in to appease the golden goose while our "star" juices his PPG to get into all star games. The similarities are startling.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Re: RE: Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#12 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:41 am

bkzfinest11 wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Some of it is on him, he also has awful coaching and his teammates aren't really good.

Yeah to a degree. KP is young enough to the above issues can be fixed by the time he hits his prime.

The first has to be the coaching. Jeff has to go.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,161

Post#13 » by BBALLER4FR » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:41 am

bkzfinest11 wrote:

support every word. KP is fake, only reason he is relevant is because he plays for Knicks. Any other team he would just be a player.He can opt out and go to who ever he wants, his frame is not built for 13+ year of winning basketball seasons. KP apologist about to rain down on you.

This is NUTZ!!!
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Greenie
RealGM

Post#14 » by Greenie » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:43 am

Everyone isn't LeBron.

You must cover the weaknesses while accentuating the strengths. We are not good at that at all. We build some of the illest fitting rosters in NBA history.
Enzo954
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,254

Post#15 » by Enzo954 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:43 am

I'll probably get blasted for this but when I watch KP this year, I see him trying to mimic ISO Melo. He over dribbles and try's to make too many moves. He get's way too fancy out there instead of looking for a quick clean shot or fast move to the basket. I actually thought that he was making a turn in the right direction the other night against the Pelicans when he didn't overthink and just make quick decisions. He had a great game but unfortunately that was short lived.

I'm sure there are other things to consider like his stamina/anemia, bad coaching and lack of playmakers surrounding him.
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#16 » by Zingod » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:44 am

Too tall.
bkzfinest11
Rookie

Re: RE: Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#17 » by bkzfinest11 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:45 am

Thugger HBC wrote:
bkzfinest11 wrote:

Yeah to a degree. KP is young enough to the above issues can be fixed by the time he hits his prime.

The first has to be the coaching. Jeff has to go.

Yup, I am down. Jeff needs to go, but i don't think Steve or Perry are willing to do that. That's why i like Phil you ask him question he answers straight out. How can they all sit a preach youth and every single came roll out jack. What is Jack teaching that is so valuable, oh wait him allowing every pg to go by him. Enough is enough man.
bkzfinest11
Rookie

Post#18 » by bkzfinest11 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:47 am

BBALLER4FR wrote:
bkzfinest11 wrote:

This is NUTZ!!!

How is this nuts, you really think he can lead a team for 82 straigh games every year?
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#19 » by BeagleBoss » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:50 am

Teams are doubling, playing him physical, he isn't getting calls from the zebras, he plays too fast, he has Jack and Ntilikina who are terrible, Hornecek hasn't adjusted to get him better looks and most importantly, he is hurt and inexperienced.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#20 » by Greenie » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:51 am

We had the Melo convo already when it comes to KP. People don't have to like it but that's how he plays. I brought it up last year. He mimics A LOT of Melo on offense. Nothing wrong with that but KP is 7'3'' trying to mimic a 6'8'' dude with guard handles. Not really gonna work for him. He has to add his own common sense to it. Tired of seeing him handle the ball TBH.

Hence why I stay wanting a PG.

Return to New York Knicks