ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#2001 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:36 pm

TMU wrote:Shameless bump so that this franchise won't be forgotten.

So, the Mets are allegedly going after McCutchen. An absolute stud and complete player, but for a mere 1-year rental. If this talk is any serious, what are we offering and what's our plan once his contract is up?

Why not go after Cargo if you're looking for a pillow contract? Both guys come with a lot of upside and a ton of potential downside. But hey Sandy told us already, we have Nimmo so why are we looking at OF's?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,441

Post#2002 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:16 am

When I saw that this thread was back up I was hoping to see something positive, but alas, same old barrel of nothing. This year is going to be painful.

Where's reub? He's the only one here with the positive attitude. We need a pep talk!
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#2003 » by reub » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:35 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:When I saw that this thread was back up I was hoping to see something positive, but alas, same old barrel of nothing. This year is going to be painful.

Where's reub? He's the only one here with the positive attitude. We need a pep talk!

I'll repeat myself. We need to add a guy who is a big bopper that can play 1B and RF. That's it. We've got plenty of talent everywhere else. Just get me Jay Bruce back.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2004 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:37 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:When I saw that this thread was back up I was hoping to see something positive, but alas, same old barrel of nothing. This year is going to be painful.

I'll repeat myself. We need to add a guy who is a big bopper that can play 1B and RF. That's it. We've got plenty of talent everywhere else. Just get me Jay Bruce back.

But that would cost money.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2005 » by reub » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:46 am

This article predicts that Bruce will end up getting 3 years for $39 million.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/11/16/jay-bruce-mlb-free-agent-market

They sold off much more than that amount of money at the trade deadline last year.

Guys like Bruce are undervalued in today's game but I think that he's perfect for what we need.

He compensates for our question marks at 1B (Smith), RF (Conforto's shoulder) and CF (Lagaras' questionable health and bat).
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2006 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 6, 2018 7:58 am

Free Palestine
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#2007 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:14 pm

reub wrote:This article predicts that Bruce will end up getting 3 years for $39 million.

They sold off much more than that amount of money at the trade deadline last year.

Guys like Bruce are undervalued in today's game but I think that he's perfect for what we need.

He compensates for our question marks at 1B (Smith), RF (Conforto's shoulder) and CF (Lagaras' questionable health and bat).

If your team is built around SP, you need to have a sured up bullpen and ideally speed in the field. I am a fan of Bruce for 1B. If we were a spending team, I would trade Dom Smith for McCutchen (in the deal) and sign Bruce to play 1B. We really need help at C and CF. Those two positions really have let us down and it is time to move on from Daurno at C. We are best served to get him some reps at 3B and 1B at this point.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2008 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 6, 2018 3:55 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:The baseball gods have answered my prayers! Rejoice! Rejoice!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752673-jenrry-mejia-mets-agree-to-contract-to-avoid-arbitration-despite-ped-suspension

My beef I always had with baseball, I never did like arbitration and the amount of control they had over players.

This free agent market has actually helped the Mets, teams aren't spending due to the luxury tax.

I still really hope they make a genuine effort for Realmuto. At least really consider LuCroy, D'Arnaud can at least tell his grand kids he was traded for two Cy Young winners.

Move Lagares, it's not that I don't like him, it's just that you can pay a bench OF that much for us. It frees up 6.5 million this year and 9 million next year. Since we don't care about defense, Conforto/Nimmo can hold down CF.

Sign Lucas Duda, Jarrod Dyson and Howie Kendrick. Most of these guys won't cost much at all and well it's probably the best we can do.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#2009 » by el13adnino » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:08 pm

these orange and blue teams from ny fooking suc
:crazy:
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#2010 » by TMU » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:26 pm

Those damn SF GIants better make their moves already. Now that the Mets are talking to the Pirates, those guys also want in. Why do they keep following us? :)
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2011 » by reub » Sat Jan 6, 2018 8:20 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:The baseball gods have answered my prayers! Rejoice! Rejoice!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752673-jenrry-mejia-mets-agree-to-contract-to-avoid-arbitration-despite-ped-suspension

My beef I always had with baseball, I never did like arbitration and the amount of control they had over players.

This free agent market has actually helped the Mets, teams aren't spending due to the luxury tax.

I still really hope they make a genuine effort for Realmuto. At least really consider LuCroy, D'Arnaud can at least tell his grand kids he was traded for two Cy Young winners.

Move Lagares, it's not that I don't like him, it's just that you can pay a bench OF that much for us. It frees up 6.5 million this year and 9 million next year. Since we don't care about defense, Conforto/Nimmo can hold down CF.

Sign Lucas Duda, Jarrod Dyson and Howie Kendrick. Most of these guys won't cost much at all and well it's probably the best we can do.

I wouldn't mind getting Duda and Hendrick. I just think that Bruce is a better all around middle of the order hitter than Duda is.

Dyson is 33 and that should ring some alarm bells because he relies so much on his legs. Plus weak hitting.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#2012 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:48 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Move Lagares, it's not that I don't like him, it's just that you can pay a bench OF that much for us. It frees up 6.5 million this year and 9 million next year. Since we don't care about defense, Conforto/Nimmo can hold down CF.

Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2013 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 am

Looks like Bruce is coming back on a three year deal. Not the biggest Bruce fan around, but he certainly played well for us last year. Our speed and defense takes a hit with him, but he is a legit bat.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2014 » by reub » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 am

reub wrote:This article predicts that Bruce will end up getting 3 years for $39 million.

We're signing Jay Bruce for 3 years/$39 million. All is well.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#2015 » by Mecca » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:12 am

Man you guys need some speed and defense in the worst way.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2016 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:32 am

Mecca wrote:Man you guys need some speed and defense in the worst way.

Rosario, Legares and Cespedes all have at least decent speed (when they're able to get onto the field of play). But we need more athleticism, maybe at 2B. Which probably means that Jose is coming back on the cheap. Maybe that'll save us some extra money to sign an infielder and Addison Reed.

I'm good with the Bruce signing. He plays RF/1B which are not positions where you expect to play your speedy players. You like to have thumpers at those two spots. Bruce was very clutch in playoff race and playoffs for the Indians. He's a leader in the clubhouse and gives us a LH to play at 1B is case Smith sucks.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2017 » by reub » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:11 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Rosario, Legares and Cespedes all have at least decent speed (when they're able to get onto the field of play). But we need more athleticism, maybe at 2B. Which probably means that Jose is coming back on the cheap. Maybe that'll save us some extra money to sign an infielder and Addison Reed.

I'm good with the Bruce signing. He plays RF/1B which are not positions where you expect to play your speedy players. You like to have thumpers at those two spots. Bruce was very clutch in playoff race and playoffs for the Indians. He's a leader in the clubhouse and gives us a LH to play at 1B is case Smith sucks.

Did I call it or did I call it on Bruce?
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#2018 » by TMU » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Did I call it or did I call it on Bruce?

Nahhhhh..... stop giving yourself credit, Sandy. I mean Reub. :wink:

Welcome home Jay Bruce. This gives us the 1B/OF insurance. Guy plays great defense and while I'd like to see him get his averages up a bit, hopefully he'll be a steady 25+/90+ guy.

I'd also say hell no to Frazier or Adrian Gonzalez (another ****bag like Jose Bautista).
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2019 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:48 pm

All I know is Lorenzo Cain better sign for more money than this, he would’ve been a lot better for us than Bruce.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,206

Post#2020 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:All I know is Lorenzo Cain better sign for more money than this, he would’ve been a lot better for us than Bruce.

I agree he better be in the 4 yrs 60 million range or I wont be happy. Not that bruce isn't a bad player but it was more important to get a center fielder that improves our team speed and defense. Rather than another all or nothing power hitter that is weak defensively.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ

Return to New York Knicks