ImageImageImageImageImage

What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,658

Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#501 » by shtolky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 pm

23.7ppg, 7 rpg, 2.3 blks, 37% from 3...on a team that is currently devoid of any offensive talent and a steady PG...oh and he's 22. Nothing is wrong with him. The haters will be out now and when he plays well again they'll hide as always. Give me a break. Booing him on draft night to these numbers in year 3 before his 23rd birthday and it still isn't good enough.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#502 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Sark wrote:
nyk97 wrote:
Blockwatcher wrote:
Read on Twitter
/video/1

That's wrong

KP needs a chauncey, kidd type veteran.

No that's the last thing he needs. What he does need is a young core of players to grow with. Another old vet is just another quick fix. We need KP to grow with Frank, the way Malone and Stockton grew together.

That's why the fact that we play Jack with the starters because of mesh is mind boggling. How can Frank mesh with guys like KP or Kanter when he only shares the floor with KOQ and Beasley?

What makes it even more bizarre is that when Frank is paired with KP, (last I checked) the Knicks are much better on both ends of the court. So, if we’re trying to win we’re doing it the wrong way; if we’re trying to develop our guys, we’re doing it the wrong way.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#503 » by Jimmit79 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:57 pm

I really hope perry fires Jeff soon this guy doesn't care about development of our young player.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#504 » by whocares1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:I really hope perry fires Jeff soon this guy doesn't care about development of our young player.

If Perry wanted Jeff to focus on player development, then Jeff would be playing the young guys.
Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#505 » by Apples » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:I really hope perry fires Jeff soon this guy doesn't care about development of our young player.

He's coaching without job sercurity. The problem is the Knicks managment (the never do) didn't make it clear that they want the young players to develop this year. They gave us the usual 'we want to make the playoffs' answers.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#506 » by NY 567 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Greenie wrote:
NY 567 wrote:He's better than Giannis was in his third year, I wonder how many of you would have given up on him? Mark my words, getting rid of KP would be the biggest mistake the franchise has ever made, and we've done a whole lot of dumb ****.

Too bad KP is not Giannis

We don't know that yet. He's got similar physical tools and has the same issues Giannis did, primarily that he needs to grow into his body still.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#507 » by Barcs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Porzingis seems like he's tired and really hasn't been the same since the elbow injury. He's not bad by any stretch, but if I hear about him playing overseas this offseason when he should be resting, I will riot. It seems like all that extra activity is taking a toll. He's a walking injury waiting to happen.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,943

Post#508 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Sark wrote:
nyk97 wrote:

No that's the last thing he needs. What he does need is a young core of players to grow with. Another old vet is just another quick fix. We need KP to grow with Frank, the way Malone and Stockton grew together.

That's why the fact that we play Jack with the starters because of mesh is mind boggling. How can Frank mesh with guys like KP or Kanter when he only shares the floor with KOQ and Beasley?

What makes it even more bizarre is that when Frank is paired with KP, (last I checked) the Knicks are much better on both ends of the court. So, if we’re trying to win we’re doing it the wrong way; if we’re trying to develop our guys, we’re doing it the wrong way.

The wrong way is the knicks way.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#509 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Porzingis needs two things:

1. A coach who take him to the next level. Horancek is a "I'm here if you need me coach." Sometimes a coach has to push his budding superstar to address his deficiencies.

2. He does need a veteran point guard who will teach him. I remembered when D'Antoni lit up Toney Douglas for making a mistake. Douglas didn't know what he did wrong. Billups came over, put his arm around him and explained to him what he should have done. You NEED 1-2 vets to do that. Ramon Sessions was SUPPOSED to be that guy.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,400

Post#510 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

I have a HUGE problem with forcing Porzingis to post players up whether they're guards, centers, or forwards. It seems like that's what is happening. I think that can hinder his development and wear him the fuc out.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,400

Post#511 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Fat Kat wrote:KP is losing his legs in the 2nd half. That's his problem. He's not able to establish or hold his position late in games, and it makes it hard to feed him the ball. He probably needs a quick hook early to maintain his strength.

He probably needs to not be forced to post players up just because he's 7'3". I have more concerns with how his body can handle that than defending centers who have no offensive games to speak of.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#512 » by Red Vines » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm

I think the All-Star game has distorted the way he's approaching games. He's tired and forcing the issue trying to get a spot, we don't need that.
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#513 » by Kinglee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm

NY 567 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
NY 567 wrote:He's better than Giannis was in his third year, I wonder how many of you would have given up on him? Mark my words, getting rid of KP would be the biggest mistake the franchise has ever made, and we've done a whole lot of dumb ****.

Too bad KP is not Giannis

We don't know that yet. He's got similar physical tools and has the same issues Giannis did, primarily that he needs to grow into his body still.

No the **** they don't
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#514 » by Sark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Porzingis needs two things:

1. A coach who take him to the next level. Horancek is a "I'm here if you need me coach." Sometimes a coach has to push his budding superstar to address his deficiencies.

2. He does need a veteran point guard who will teach him. I remembered when D'Antoni lit up Toney Douglas for making a mistake. Douglas didn't know what he did wrong. Billups came over, put his arm around him and explained to him what he should have done. You NEED 1-2 vets to do that. Ramon Sessions was SUPPOSED to be that guy.

Needing veteran point guards is probably the most overrated thing in basketball. Players need good teammates, young or old.

And it's not the point guards job to teach. That's the coach's job.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#515 » by Fury » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:14 pm

shtolky wrote:23.7ppg, 7 rpg, 2.3 blks, 37% from 3...on a team that is currently devoid of any offensive talent and a steady PG...oh and he's 22. Nothing is wrong with him. The haters will be out now and when he plays well again they'll hide as always. Give me a break. Booing him on draft night to these numbers in year 3 before his 23rd birthday and it still isn't good enough.

+1
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#516 » by Fury » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm

If I were building the knicks, I’d get a bunch of great screeners at different positions and run KP off screens. He always gets good looks off of screens, in the mid range game and getting to the bucket. I’d also try get him some corner 3s. Just needs easier shots to get his confidence up. He went super hero mode too early and it’s screwed up his shot selection too. Hardaway def is missed. And he’s not setting up well on his jumpers. Just a combination of things that starts with him and Jeff and the way they approach the game
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#517 » by DrKnick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:19 pm

Guess we need Melo then.
nyk97
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,219

Post#518 » by nyk97 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Sark wrote:
nyk97 wrote:
Blockwatcher wrote:
Read on Twitter
/video/1

That's wrong

having a chauncey and kidd type vet doesnt mean giving up growing frank and kp together, thats honestly all on Jeff. during our 2012 season we had leaders/vets on the bench. imagine having this to grow with frank and kp
"im willing to ride or die for new york" -carl
nykinoz
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#519 » by nykinoz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Fury wrote:
shtolky wrote:23.7ppg, 7 rpg, 2.3 blks, 37% from 3...on a team that is currently devoid of any offensive talent and a steady PG...oh and he's 22. Nothing is wrong with him. The haters will be out now and when he plays well again they'll hide as always. Give me a break. Booing him on draft night to these numbers in year 3 before his 23rd birthday and it still isn't good enough.

+1

+1000
Knicks fan since 1991
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#520 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Apples wrote:

He's coaching without job sercurity. The problem is the Knicks managment (the never do) didn't make it clear that they want the young players to develop this year. They gave us the usual 'we want to make the playoffs' answers.

I wouldn't say they didn't develop though. Frank gets great minutes, KP is still a developing player, McDermott plays and although I wish we would just tank already there's still value in them developing while trying to win games.

Let's see what happens at the trade deadline. My hope is that in our attempt at winning we raised the value of a couple vets and could make a deal for some prospects, it makes us wise in the short term and we're in better draft position for it with more youth coming in. Maybe that was the plan all along.

Return to New York Knicks