ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#2021 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Mecca wrote:Man you guys need some speed and defense in the worst way.

Rosario, Legares and Cespedes all have at least decent speed (when they're able to get onto the field of play). But we need more athleticism, maybe at 2B. Which probably means that Jose is coming back on the cheap. Maybe that'll save us some extra money to sign an infielder and Addison Reed.

I'm good with the Bruce signing. He plays RF/1B which are not positions where you expect to play your speedy players. You like to have thumpers at those two spots. Bruce was very clutch in playoff race and playoffs for the Indians. He's a leader in the clubhouse and gives us a LH to play at 1B is case Smith sucks.

Did I call it or did I call it on Bruce?

Indeed you did, sir. Now how about getting us a vet SP, an athletic second baseman and a reliable top end of the BP piece.

God speed!
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2022 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 pm

TMU wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Rosario, Legares and Cespedes all have at least decent speed (when they're able to get onto the field of play). But we need more athleticism, maybe at 2B. Which probably means that Jose is coming back on the cheap. Maybe that'll save us some extra money to sign an infielder and Addison Reed.

I'm good with the Bruce signing. He plays RF/1B which are not positions where you expect to play your speedy players. You like to have thumpers at those two spots. Bruce was very clutch in playoff race and playoffs for the Indians. He's a leader in the clubhouse and gives us a LH to play at 1B is case Smith sucks.

Nahhhhh..... stop giving yourself credit, Sandy. I mean Reub. :wink:

Welcome home Jay Bruce. This gives us the 1B/OF insurance. Guy plays great defense and while I'd like to see him get his averages up a bit, hopefully he'll be a steady 25+/90+ guy.

I'd also say hell no to Frazier or Adrian Gonzalez (another ****bag like Jose Bautista).

Wait. Are we talking about the same Jay Bruce? :lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2023 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Second base acquisition update. The Wilponzis nixed a deal for Jason Kipnis. :noway: Jose Reyes on his way.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/1/11/16878260/mets-indians-jason-kipnis-trade-mlb-second-base

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the New York Mets and Cleveland Indians nearly had a trade in place that would have sent Jason Kipnis to New York.

Per Heyman’s report, people on both sides had thought they had a deal. ‘Top officials’ within the Mets organization quashed the deal after deeming Kipnis not a “good value.” It seems likely that ‘top officials’ means ownership, which would track with their reputation as being less open to spending on players they don’t personally think make sense for the team. Kipnis is guaranteed $30.5 million over the next two seasons, less than the 3 year/$39 million contract given to Jay Bruce last night.

Perhaps their opinion was informed by his sub-par 2017 season, where he slashed .232/.291/.414 and hit 12 home runs. Kipnis is a career .268/.340/.422 hitter who had a career year, power wise, in 2016, slugging 23 home runs.

As Heyman goes on to report, the Mets are still seeking help at second base. He writes that Neil Walker is uninterested in returning due to a rocky departure. The Mets do not seem to have interest in Starlin Castro, who recently requested a trade from the Marlins. One cheaper solution at second base seems to be Jose Reyes, who apparently would like to return to the club.

The Mets are reported to still be engaged in trade talks with the Pittsburgh Pirates for second baseman Josh Harrison, who has one year and two team options remaining on his contract. Harrison is owed $10.25 million in 2018.
POSTING POLICIES:
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#2024 » by reub » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Indeed you did, sir. Now how about getting us a vet SP, an athletic second baseman and a reliable top end of the BP piece.

God speed!

I'll work on that right away, sir.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#2025 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Second base acquisition update. The Wilponzis nixed a deal for Jason Kipnis. :noway: Jose Reyes on his way.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/1/11/16878260/mets-indians-jason-kipnis-trade-mlb-second-base

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the New York Mets and Cleveland Indians nearly had a trade in place that would have sent Jason Kipnis to New York.

Per Heyman’s report, people on both sides had thought they had a deal. ‘Top officials’ within the Mets organization quashed the deal after deeming Kipnis not a “good value.” It seems likely that ‘top officials’ means ownership, which would track with their reputation as being less open to spending on players they don’t personally think make sense for the team. Kipnis is guaranteed $30.5 million over the next two seasons, less than the 3 year/$39 million contract given to Jay Bruce last night.

Perhaps their opinion was informed by his sub-par 2017 season, where he slashed .232/.291/.414 and hit 12 home runs. Kipnis is a career .268/.340/.422 hitter who had a career year, power wise, in 2016, slugging 23 home runs.

As Heyman goes on to report, the Mets are still seeking help at second base. He writes that Neil Walker is uninterested in returning due to a rocky departure. The Mets do not seem to have interest in Starlin Castro, who recently requested a trade from the Marlins. One cheaper solution at second base seems to be Jose Reyes, who apparently would like to return to the club.

The Mets are reported to still be engaged in trade talks with the Pittsburgh Pirates for second baseman Josh Harrison, who has one year and two team options remaining on his contract. Harrison is owed $10.25 million in 2018.

Why did we want Kipinis? I want guys who hit .280+ and have speed. At least Harrison hits .279...

Personally, I would rather get a couple big threats rather than get the Stephen Drew's of the world... Wish we would trade Asdrubel.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2026 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Second base acquisition update. The Wilponzis nixed a deal for Jason Kipnis. :noway: Jose Reyes on his way.

Why did we want Kipinis? I want guys who hit .280+ and have speed. At least Harrison hits .279...

Personally, I would rather get a couple big threats rather than get the Stephen Drew's of the world... Wish we would trade Asdrubel.

To answer your question, I don't know. All I know is that I do not want the Wilpons in the player personnel decision making process like at all. This scares me.
POSTING POLICIES:
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#2027 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

How 'bout this. We send Pirates Cabrera (8M) Lagares (4.M, + 2 years 15.5M), Dom Smith, D'Aurno and Wheeler for McCutchen and Cervelli. Cervelli makes a lot, but taking back that salary for a guy who is solid would be sort of a "cost of doing business."

Is there any chance of a Cespedes-McCutchen-Conforto out field? Is there?
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#2028 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

To answer your question, I don't know. All I know is that I do not want the Wilpons in the player personnel decision making process like at all. This scares me.

Agreed, though I am all for Jose Reyes coming back. I still want to get the band back together with Dillon Gee as an innings eater and Jon Niese as a RP.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2029 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

How 'bout this. We send Pirates Cabrera (8M) Lagares (4.M, + 2 years 15.5M), Dom Smith, D'Aurno and Wheeler for McCutchen and Cervelli. Cervelli makes a lot, but taking back that salary for a guy who is solid would be sort of a "cost of doing business."

I actually think that's a lot to give up for one year of a declining McCutchen. I have to look at Cervelli's contract length and stats. Haven't followed him lately.
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2030 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

Agreed, though I am all for Jose Reyes coming back. I still want to get the band back together with Dillon Gee as an innings eater and Jon Niese as a RP.

Niese and Gee???

POSTING POLICIES:
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#2031 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Niese and Gee???

hotness right?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2032 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:50 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Agreed, though I am all for Jose Reyes coming back. I still want to get the band back together with Dillon Gee as an innings eater and Jon Niese as a RP.

Niese and Gee???

hotness right?

With Omar back, maybe you have a shot. :lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#2033 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I actually think that's a lot to give up for one year of a declining McCutchen. I have to look at Cervelli's contract length and stats. Haven't followed him lately.

Cervelli had a bad year last year, but I figure that to get McCutchen we have to give up something... we are not the Yankees who just wink and other teams owners and get handed MVP's. Cervelli makes about 22M over the next 2 years. The more "Wilpon" thing to do is perhaps pick up one of the lesser C's off the FA list, but the important thing is that we get one that can actually play the position.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#2034 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:33 am

What the Mets are saying right now is that Collins was the problem last year. Hey Callaway, we're gonna give you the same exact roster and your supposed to get all the results that Terry couldn't. Defense? Who needs that you have 30 aces pitching. Speed on the base paths? Chicks dig the long ball. Bullpen? We signed Swarzak what more do you want? [Why do I get Bastrado vibes from him?]
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2035 » by reub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 am

Manhattan Project wrote:What the Mets are saying right now is that Collins was the problem last year. Hey Callaway, we're gonna give you the same exact roster and your supposed to get all the results that Terry couldn't. Defense? Who needs that you have 30 aces pitching. Speed on the base paths? Chicks dig the long ball. Bullpen? We signed Swarzak what more do you want? [Why do I get Bastrado vibes from him?]

New manager and new training staff. The new training staff might be the more important one with this group.
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#2036 » by Daaaarryyl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:32 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:Why did we want Kipinis? I want guys who hit .280+ and have speed. At least Harrison hits .279...

Totally agree but I look at OBP a lot more than BA.

The guy I wanted was Yelich if Jeter was gonna deal him and he probably will.

Would have cost a ton, Matz, Peterson, Jiminez + another kid or two.

Too late now w/Bruce signing anyway though.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#2037 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 am

Daaaarryyl wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Why did we want Kipinis? I want guys who hit .280+ and have speed. At least Harrison hits .279...

Totally agree but I look at OBP a lot more than BA.

The guy I wanted was Yelich if Jeter was gonna deal him and he probably will.

Would have cost a ton, Matz, Peterson, Jiminez + another kid or two.

Too late now w/Bruce signing anyway though.

Theoretically it shouldn't be, particularly if Dom Smith is on the move.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#2038 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 am

So what do we do with Nimmo? You figure one of him and Lagares probably gets traded at this point, you would think Nimmo still has a little value. The OF is locked up for the next few years now, Lagares is still coming back from injury and fits better as the fourth OF.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2039 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 pm

How about Eduardo Nunez for that athletic infielder? I think I'd like him or Frazier for 3B but preferably Nunny.
POSTING POLICIES:
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2040 » by reub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:How about Eduardo Nunez for that athletic infielder? I think I'd like him or Frazier for 3B but preferably Nunny.

And where will you play Cabrera? 2B?
We've got Rosario as a lock as SS. Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Possibly Reyes too if he signs.
TJ. Rivera, Reyes, Flores or Cabrera at 2B. That's 4 guys for 2 positions if we sign Reyes.
With Jay Bruce, our outfield is stacked, especially if Conforto can play CF.
We're looking pretty, pretty good if our pitching stays healthy.

Return to New York Knicks