ImageImageImageImageImage

What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#521 » by Zingod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 pm

No energy.

He always starts hot, then slows down to bargnani levels by late dec/early jan.

Then after all star break same ****.

Dude was averaging 30ppg on 50/40/80ish splits early in the season and was a legit mvp candidate.

Obviously that wasn't sustainable, but now his fg % is very Andrea Bargnanish. He just averages more ppg than Bargs ever did.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#522 » by Amsterdam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 pm

PK is averaging more points at his age than all other scoring leaders. No problem here.
Not only as the main guy is he gonna get hammered, but noone is factoring not having THJ is having on his game.

THJ makes doubling KP difficult. If you're not a guard or have a strong 2nd option, it's not going to be easy.

22 people, remember that number.

Btw, Lauri Markkanen looks like a player alot of teams are going to regret not selecting. He's another sharp shooting young big, that's going to get better.

Glad to have KP though. With THJ, a strong wing, KP is on another level.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#523 » by Greenie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Kinglee wrote:
NY 567 wrote:
Greenie wrote:Too bad KP is not Giannis

We don't know that yet. He's got similar physical tools and has the same issues Giannis did, primarily that he needs to grow into his body still.

No the **** they don't

:lol:
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 705

Post#524 » by pwayknicks » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 pm

His rebounding really worries me more then anything else. On offense, he I don’t think will be a number 1 option, at least not on a championship caliber team. But he has to do a better job on blocking out, he is to often going for the shot block as opposed to making the simple play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#525 » by ChaosHamster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Knicks are like top5 rebounding team in the league.

Yeah, KP could be better, but I don't see the gigantic issue here.
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 705

Post#526 » by pwayknicks » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 am

ChaosHamster wrote:Knicks are like top5 rebounding team in the league.

That’s if your of the kp should be a 4 his whole career person. Whenever he’s the 5 in the lineup he has to depend heavily on Beasley and the guards rebounding and blocking out cuz he’s just not even average at that end

The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#527 » by fatalogic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 am

pwayknicks wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:Knicks are like top5 rebounding team in the league.

That’s if your of the kp should be a 4 his whole career person. Whenever he’s the 5 in the lineup he has to depend heavily on Beasley and the guards rebounding and blocking out cuz he’s just not even average at that end

Which is why I laugh when people want to put him at the 5 right now. Never mind the fact that the Knicks are paying 40+ million to the center position and have a log jam. KP does not have any center skills besides rim protection. He isn't a good rebounder, he doesn't set good screens, his post moves lacking and he can't stay healthy as a 4. The 4 or 5 designation doesn't really matter in the long run.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#528 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 am

Too bad Melo isn’t Lebron. *shrug*
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#529 » by NYKHardKnock » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:45 am

I come to realization.. Yes, Kris can become very lethargic and tired easily. But the importance of THJr out there is vital for KP's and the teams success. Who else do we have on the team putting pressure on defenses without THJr? Well you have Beasley, but no one else can really create for themselves. I'm certainly the OP of this thread, but I think KP true issue is he cannot handle being the only one to score, plus below average point guards won't help.

If you can get a point guard who can dish, p&r, shoot and create, THJr, a sf like a Harrison Barnes, and a center thats a brick wall. KP will score with such ease it'll be so scary that If we can build a team this way he'll win championships.

G:Chris Paul
G:Tim Hardaway Jr.
F:Harrison Barnes
F:Kristaps Porzingis
C:DeAndre Jordan

Type team.

My opinions on KP have been up and down and have been his harshest critic, but I sometimes need to slow myself down and be patient considering hes just 22 freaking years old.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#530 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 pm

pwayknicks wrote:His rebounding really worries me more then anything else. On offense, he I don’t think will be a number 1 option, at least not on a championship caliber team. But he has to do a better job on blocking out, he is to often going for the shot block as opposed to making the simple play.

I think that has something to do with role and usage, but also the fact that he just isn't a naturally strong rebounder and probably never will be.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#531 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:

It's a useless comparison, comparing players who can create with those that don't. It's just apples and oranges. Might as well compare small point guards to big centers.

KP has more Melo in his game in that he's more the guy to "get" the ball than facilitate. Obviously Melo is and was the better pure scoring option, even from the very beginning of his NBA career. Again, they are also different, because KP is 7'3" and does alter teams approach in the paint, even playing the 4.

As an aside - I beat on KP enough, mostly because I'm disappointed in the team and frankly, also in KP, being that it's year 3 and he's lethargic as f*ck again, which is a BIG concern.

But even though he isn't the master of any of his skill sets yet, a player who can play in the post yet still shoot respectably from outside while being 7'3" yet still capable of actually playing the 4 is still pretty special.

It's up to the management of the Knicks to work around his strengths and shortcomings and they could have a pretty good team.

Chance of that happening is probably 15%.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#532 » by Greenie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:

Yep.

We see what happened to him...
Greenie
RealGM

Post#533 » by Greenie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm

So now one of Melo's best friends is coming here?

Not a chance in hell Chris Paul signs here. ZERO.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#534 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Greenie wrote:So now one of Melo's best friends is coming here?

Not a chance in hell Chris Paul signs here. ZERO.

Too old. Don't want. Even if he winds up having 3 years in the tank, don't want the risk or the $.

Let's do this right and build internally and with smart trades.

Not saying you are advocating Paul
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#535 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

shtolky wrote:23.7ppg, 7 rpg, 2.3 blks, 37% from 3...on a team that is currently devoid of any offensive talent and a steady PG...oh and he's 22. Nothing is wrong with him. The haters will be out now and when he plays well again they'll hide as always. Give me a break. Booing him on draft night to these numbers in year 3 before his 23rd birthday and it still isn't good enough.

This was the right answer when this thread started last week and it's still the right answer.

I'll also add that he hasn't been 100% healthy since the first couple weeks of the season.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#536 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:29 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
shtolky wrote:23.7ppg, 7 rpg, 2.3 blks, 37% from 3...on a team that is currently devoid of any offensive talent and a steady PG...oh and he's 22. Nothing is wrong with him. The haters will be out now and when he plays well again they'll hide as always. Give me a break. Booing him on draft night to these numbers in year 3 before his 23rd birthday and it still isn't good enough.

This was the right answer when this thread started last week and it's still the right answer.

I'll also add that he hasn't been 100% healthy since the first couple weeks of the season.

You could say it's a legit concern that KP winds up "not 100% healthy" each year before the AS break.

Buy it's true about the PG's. I mean, the Knicks PG rotation is a washed guy who should be giving 15 steady "vet minutes" at backup PG and is backed up by a player known by every scout to be a project - which to me means 2 years away.

Let's not talk about SF, where if you combined the best skills of each player it would equal one really good SF, but science hasn't gotten there yet.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#537 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:58 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:

You could say it's a legit concern that KP winds up "not 100% healthy" each year before the AS break.

Yes, if he turns out to be one of those players that just can't stay healthy, that should absolutely be a concern.

thebuzzardman wrote:Buy it's true about the PG's. I mean, the Knicks PG rotation is a washed guy who should be giving 15 steady "vet minutes" at backup PG and is backed up by a player known by every scout to be a project - which to me means 2 years away.

Let's not talk about SF, where if you combined the best skills of each player it would equal one really good SF, but science hasn't gotten there yet.

Yup, you hit the nail on the head here. The Knicks have several players who are forced to play roles they aren't good enough to fill. The same could probably be said for THJ, who would be the perfect 6th man on a contending team, but is being asked to be the #2 guy. And he's been injured anyway, so we've got Lee in that role.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#538 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Being the first option on a team without any other above average playmakers isn't easy. I wonder where we've seen that before...
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#539 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:Being the first option on a team without any other above average playmakers isn't easy. I wonder where we've seen that before...

Is why I have low confidence the right players will ever be around KP.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#540 » by Greenie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:Being the first option on a team without any other above average playmakers isn't easy. I wonder where we've seen that before...

Bingo

Return to New York Knicks