ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Conflict of Interest

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

FixTheKnicks
Freshman
And1: 30

Knicks Conflict of Interest 

Post#1 » by FixTheKnicks » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Not sure if it’s just me or other fans out there feel the same, but I feel like there’s a big conflict of interest with this team that’ll eventually take us nowhere. The conflict is 2 part and revolves around arguably our 2 most important players .

Firstly is whether to play for the playoffs this year or to try for a lottery pick. The team is currently 19-22 and still just a few games out of the 5th seed in the east. Which would have been our spot already if it wasn’t for late game mishaps. With THJr returning the team should get back to playing better basketball which would help their playoff chances. A lot of fans want to tank for a pick but the reality is we are far off from getting a top 5 picks, which is usually where the talent is unless you get lucky.

For seconds, both management and our star player Porzingis have a desire to win and to make the playoffs. But the main issue is our 8th overall draft pick needs development, with Frank on the court he becomes such a liability on offense that it hurts our team. It’s great that he can defend and who knows what he can evolve into but at the moment playing him more minutes does not help Porzingis.

KP needs a point guard that can both penetrate and score. Frank does not provide these options at the moment, but playing him more is beneficially to his development. However we cannot fully develop Frank while growing KP into being the superstar many thinks he will become.

Where should the team go?

I don’t think it’s the worse of options trying to deal Frank to see what we can get in return only for the sake of Porzingis and keeping him both happy and healthy. Currently the burden on his back is heavy and he needs some relief. A point guard that can drive and open up the floor while providing scoring would help both KP and this team in my opinion. Jack has been providing this but he is only Jack after all and towards the end of his career.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Re: Knicks Conflict of Interest 

Post#2 » by King of Canada » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm

We're not dealing Frank, but nobody should be expecting him to be "the guy" at pg for at least another year or two. We need to bring in another pg that can do a little of everything, including shoot from 3 and keep a fast pace. I'm pretty confident that the Platypus will make it happen (in addition to an actual NBA SF).
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#3 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Trading Frank now would be terrible management unless you're getting a top player back. If we wanted to go that route we probably would have gotten more value dealing our pick before the draft than trading Frank in his current form. He's too much of an unknown still to put a proper trade value on IMO.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#4 » by j4remi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 pm

The team should go with youth and not trade Frank just to lose in the first round of the playoffs. Come on now.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,446

Post#5 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:12 pm

We need to build towards the future and that includes Frank. The future is much more important then this season. Winning this season should not be the priority.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#6 » by Phish Tank » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

wouldn't necessarily call it a conflict of interest....

But we overachieved over the first 41 games. Because of that, we've stayed in a playoff hunt when we really should have been in a freefall since November.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#7 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:21 pm

LOL, mods responded to this thread like a 911 call. Where's Thugger, KT, Mags, GONYK and Capn'O? Oh, different shift.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Trade Frank?

POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#9 » by Juggynaut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:25 pm

If we're not building for the future then we're stupid. And the Knicks have been stupid for a very long time so I wouldn't be surprised by anything.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#10 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 pm

j4remi wrote:The team should go with youth and not trade Frank just to lose in the first round of the playoffs. Come on now.

Deeeez Knicks wrote:We need to build towards the future and that includes Frank. The future is much more important then this season. Winning this season should not be the priority.

Phish Tank wrote:wouldn't necessarily call it a conflict of interest....

But we overachieved over the first 41 games. Because of that, we've stayed in a playoff hunt when we really should have been in a freefall since November.

Juggynaut wrote:If we're not building for the future then we're stupid. And the Knicks have been stupid for a very long time so I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#11 » by Blockwatcher » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:We need to build towards the future and that includes Frank.

j4remi wrote:The team should go with youth and not trade Frank.

Knicksfan1992 wrote:Trading Frank now would be terrible management.

King of Canada wrote:We're not dealing Frank, .

I see no conflict of interests
1 John 2 : 15-17
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#12 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Knicks need to do what’s best for the organization in the long term which is also what’s best for KP in the long term - develop the kids and add more high end talent through the draft.

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#13 » by Sark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 pm

How many minutes have KP and Frank played together? It seems rather low.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Sark wrote:How many minutes have KP and Frank played together? It seems rather low.

http://nbawowy.com/swu2pnqsee

290. Or if 36 minutes is the benchmark for starters, a total of 8 games.

Year 1 of the rebuild.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#15 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 pm

I'd hope the idea of trading Frank isn't in the Knicks execs thoughts. He's really young, see what you have.

As far as a conflict of interest, I understand the reasoning, but I think it's overblown.

Expecting a team to be competitive is natural. Who wouldn't want their team is be competitive in games? With competitiveness, some games will be won and depending on how the players grow as the season goes on, more wins than expected could happen.

This what happened with KP especially. Yes, he has had some bumps in the progression, but it's of little doubt that the focus is 100% on him from a team perspective. Frank I think has been given quite a bit of opportunity, I do think he should be starting by now, but I'm not that engaged in that aspect as long as he gets consistent meaningful minutes of the course of the year...so no major qualms there.

I think the issue is preference. Some preferred Willy and Dotson to automatically be given minutes and expanded roles even if those two haven't/aren't better options to a roster that is developing and trying to be competitive. As a fan, I don't think they are better options than what's already on the court, but not against them getting some burn. I also don't think this particular team has as many "kids" as fans think they do.

Now one point I do think is unfounded is the team is putting winning over development. That theory is downright ridiculous.

1) This team plays horrible perimeter defense by design, and most teams in the league incorporates the three.

2) We're damn near last in the three ball ourselves. So if the team isn't trying to run up the score AND isn't trying to defend the shot that generates the most points...exactly how are they really putting winning in front of anything?

3)pg play overall is atrocious on offense, subpar on defense. Starting Session or Jack doesn't indicate to me that a team is trying to win. Frank actually would be the better starting option since ha actually plays defense and can make the similar plays the other guys do.

Basically what I see is a team built badly and doesnt have on the sidelines a modern day innovation to truly be a competitive product, and now the team is falling into what they truly are.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#16 » by Sark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Sark wrote:How many minutes have KP and Frank played together? It seems rather low.

http://nbawowy.com/swu2pnqsee

290. Or if 36 minutes is the benchmark for starters, a total of 8 games.

Year 1 of the rebuild.

Wow. That's impressive. I thought it was about half that. At least that's what it seems like.
bigtimeRC3
Pro Prospect
And1: 571

Post#17 » by bigtimeRC3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 pm

I would trade frank and our first round pick for the number one pick and run away. It's likely we won't even be top 5 even if we are bad. Deandre ayton is a once in a lifetime talent .
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#18 » by BeagleBoss » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 pm

You're not getting much for Ntilikina so you might as well keep him and see if he improves.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#19 » by seren » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:28 pm

This is not NFL where you sit your first round QB for several years before you pass the torch. Frank should have started weeks ago if not the beginning of the season. Give the dam ball to the dude and let's go.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#20 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Trade Frank?

I said the same thing.

Return to New York Knicks