ImageImageImageImageImage

What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#541 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:44 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:Being the first option on a team without any other above average playmakers isn't easy. I wonder where we've seen that before...

Is why I have low confidence the right players will ever be around KP.

You sure as hell won’t if you keep playing these vets instead of developing the kids.

But as long as we get to 30ish wins and “played the right way” every win was worth it. Am I right?

Culchah!!!!!!!

Stupid franchise.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,264

Post#542 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Ibraheim brought this up and I think it’s a very good point how we are posting him up so much and iso’ing him a lot. The Ringer also discussed this and other items in a recent article.

The article also had a great point about KP’s usage. It’s very rare for a 7’ player to avg over 30 in minutes AND usage. Only 6 players since 1977 have done that. Dirk didn’t do that until he was 27 and only had 2 seasons above 30. In his 3rd season he was at a 23.8 usage.

They also mention how KP plays about 10minutes in the first quarter which is a lot for a big.

Bottom line, this is not typical for a 7’ player and we are asking a TON from KP. While KP needs to improve on some things and do things differently, the coaching staff can definetly utilize him better and adjust his minutes to help preserve him. It will never be easy until we get better PG play and KP gets more help, but there are still things the coaching staff can do.

Looking at KP's monthly splits his usage has gone down each month and is 29.4 in Jan, he is up to over 38mpg in Jan...that is way too high

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/11/16877958/kristaps-porzingis-superstar-injury-history

Porzingis is simply facing the cost of doing business as a giant in the NBA. He’s averaging 33 minutes with a 32.4 usage rate, a rarity since 1977-78, the first season usage can be calculated on Basketball-Reference. Only six players listed at 7 feet or taller have averaged 30 or more in both minutes and usage (Yao Ming, Dirk Nowitzki, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Shaquille O’Neal). Porzingis is primed to join the ranks. When the minutes and usage thresholds are dropped to 25, we have a sample of 115 such seasons by 7-footers; in 23 of those player seasons, or 20 percent, 7-footers missed over one-fourth of their possible games. By comparison, of 386 player seasons for those between 6-foot-8 and 6-foot-11, only in 14.8 percent of them did players miss one-fourth of their games, which correlates strongly with a 2014 study by FiveThirtyEight that found 7-footers drafted in the lottery this century miss roughly seven more games per season than shorter players.....

Anyone who witnessed the Best Bad NBA Game of the Month on Wednesday night—a 122-119 double-overtime win for the Bulls over the Knicks—saw a microcosm of Porzingis’s season: a fast start followed by a struggle. The Knicks don’t make it easy on Porzingis. They ran isolation after isolation for Porzingis, with so few creative screen actions to get him open and easy shots. The game is a constant physical battle for him. It’d help to not force him to post up so frequently since fewer one-on-one touches down low would lead to fewer bumps and bruises. (Only five bigs attempt more post-ups per game, according to Synergy Sports.) The development of Frank Ntilikina at point guard and the return of Tim Hardaway Jr. should also get him easier baskets.

Porzingis said in October that he prefers playing power forward because at center he’s “fighting with the big a lot of times and I’m wasting a lot of energy.” Tweaking his workload could help, too. Porzingis frequently plays the entire first quarter and is one of five big men to average over 10 minutes in the opening frame (two of the others are Anthony Davis and Blake Griffin). I’d be interested to see coach Jeff Hornacek tweak his rotations to give Porzingis shorter stints per quarter. He could find inspiration in what Spurs coach Gregg Popovich does with LaMarcus Aldridge. Pop generally pulls Aldridge with about three minutes to go in the first and third quarters, then sends him back in with nine minutes to go in the second and fourth quarters. Or Hornacek could get funky like Sixers coach Brett Brown, who takes out Joel Embiid midway through each quarter, then puts him back in with about three minutes left. Whatever it is, they’ll need to figure out adjustments to coax that old Porzingis out of hiding.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,306

Post#543 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Jeff's riding KP like a horse to save his coaching ass
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#544 » by Jay10 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Read on Twitter
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#545 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Porzingis needs two things:

1. A coach who take him to the next level. Horancek is a "I'm here if you need me coach." Sometimes a coach has to push his budding superstar to address his deficiencies.

2. He does need a veteran point guard who will teach him. I remembered when D'Antoni lit up Toney Douglas for making a mistake. Douglas didn't know what he did wrong. Billups came over, put his arm around him and explained to him what he should have done. You NEED 1-2 vets to do that. Ramon Sessions was SUPPOSED to be that guy.

KP started the season great. He played at MVP level.
He didnt need a coach or pg to teach.

He simply doesnt have that energy to play like that whole season.
Better coach would help him to save some energy. When you have a good coach and system you score with less effort.
Veteran star might help him mentally.

But at the end of the day he'll face same problems over and over again.

KP needs Doncic, Porter Jr or maybe Ayton. He simply needs star player with him. Only way to acquire a talent like that is tanking. This year is the last chance for us. We must tank hard. Otherwise fans going to blame KP next year meanwhile KP look his way out of Knicks.

I said numerous times about this issue. What happened to Melo happens again. Dont expect KP to do all work by himself.
Melo haters celebrated the trade but now people starting to turn against KP.
There is no single star to lead their team to win in this league.
Even MVP Westbrook had solid guys like Adams, Oladipo and many role players. Those helped him to reach playoffs.
LBJ, Curry, Wall, Kyrie all have good players, stars playing along them.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#546 » by god shammgod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Jeff's riding KP like a horse to save his coaching ass

i said the other day that kp might never be able to handle this many minutes and usage. it might not be about getting in better shape, he might just be too big for that. this team desperately needs a 2nd star. preferably at the 2 or 3.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#547 » by Phish Tank » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
They also mention how KP plays about 10minutes in the first quarter which is a lot for a big.

Porzingis said in October that he prefers playing power forward because at center he’s “fighting with the big a lot of times and I’m wasting a lot of energy.” Tweaking his workload could help, too. Porzingis frequently plays the entire first quarter and is one of five big men to average over 10 minutes in the opening frame (two of the others are Anthony Davis and Blake Griffin). I’d be interested to see coach Jeff Hornacek tweak his rotations to give Porzingis shorter stints per quarter. He could find inspiration in what Spurs coach Gregg Popovich does with LaMarcus Aldridge. Pop generally pulls Aldridge with about three minutes to go in the first and third quarters, then sends him back in with nine minutes to go in the second and fourth quarters. Or Hornacek could get funky like Sixers coach Brett Brown, who takes out Joel Embiid midway through each quarter, then puts him back in with about three minutes left. Whatever it is, they’ll need to figure out adjustments to coax that old Porzingis out of hiding.

seems like a good question for Jeff to answer, but the beat writers are too stupid to ask him that
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#548 » by JBreezeNY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 pm

god shammgod wrote:

i said the other day that kp might never be able to handle this many minutes and usage. it might not be about getting in better shape, he might just be too big for that. this team desperately needs a 2nd star. preferably at the 2 or 3.

Well it’s a good thing we’re fighting for a playoff spot instead of tanking for a 2nd star.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#549 » by Billy Goat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Porzingis needs two things:

1. A coach who take him to the next level. Horancek is a "I'm here if you need me coach." Sometimes a coach has to push his budding superstar to address his deficiencies.

2. He does need a veteran point guard who will teach him. I remembered when D'Antoni lit up Toney Douglas for making a mistake. Douglas didn't know what he did wrong. Billups came over, put his arm around him and explained to him what he should have done. You NEED 1-2 vets to do that. Ramon Sessions was SUPPOSED to be that guy.

A coach having the authority to criticize a big name player has to get green lighted from above him. Hornacek isnt stupid, Dolan is always going to side with the name over the coach. ( I believe he called KP soft last year and then he skipped the exit meeting)

The Knicks have had a million coaches the last 10 years. That's not a battle the coach is going to win unless ownership signs off on it.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#550 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 pm

exclusive footage of KP after games
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#551 » by Greenie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:47 pm

All franchise players play a lot. It comes with the territory.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#552 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Phish Tank wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

seems like a good question for Jeff to answer, but the beat writers are too stupid to ask him that

Or they'd just like to ask WHG for the 10th time how he feels about his playing time
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#553 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Greenie wrote:

Apparently not 7' ones, according the article.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#554 » by Greenie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Apparently not 7' ones, according the article.

Welp
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#555 » by GnarlesOakley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:04 am

He fooled me until now, unfortunately the truth is becoming more and more obvious.

Porzingis is fools gold.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#556 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 am

GnarlesOakley wrote:He fooled me until now, unfortunately the truth is becoming more and more obvious.

Porzingis is fools gold.

He's a tertiary piece on a good team.

He's not a franchise guy. He's not Robin.

But he can stretch the floor for a 4 or a 5 and alter shots, at least through December.

Play him 28-30 mpg, save his energy, go get real franchise players.
YouthMovement
General Manager
And1: 4,758

Post#557 » by YouthMovement » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
GnarlesOakley wrote:He fooled me until now, unfortunately the truth is becoming more and more obvious.

Porzingis is fools gold.

He's a tertiary piece on a good team.

He's not a franchise guy. He's not Robin.

But he can stretch the floor for a 4 or a 5 and alter shots, at least through December.

Play him 28-30 mpg, save his energy, go get real franchise players.

sadly, i pretty much agree with all of this. only 2nd option if you have a top 10 player as your 1st option
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#558 » by GnarlesOakley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 am

I'm not sure I'd want him as the third option if he keeps playing this lazy. Right now he's a cancer.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#559 » by KnickFan33 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 am

If rumors from off-season were true, I gotta agree with Hornacek. KP needs to stop playing like a puss.
bkzfinest11
Rookie
And1: 244

Post#560 » by bkzfinest11 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 am

Greenie wrote:

plus he wanted it. I don't feel any sympathy for him

Return to New York Knicks