Fox Buys Thursday Night Football For $60M Per Game

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Fox Buys Thursday Night Football For $60M Per Game 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 pm

Fox has secured the rights to Thursday Night Football for the next five seasons at an annual average of more than $660 million per year.

Fox will broadcast Thursday games each season from Week 4 to Week 15, not including Thanksgiving night.

CBS paid $37.5 million per game for eight games during the 2014 and 2015 seasons. For the past two seasons, NBC joined CBS to broadcast five games each at a cost of $45 million each. The new deal values each game at an average of more than $60 million.

"We feel very confident in their ability to continue to grow this franchise," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said on a Wednesday morning conference call.

Via Darren Rovell/ESPN

BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Re: Fox Buys Thursday Night Football For $60M Per Game 

Post#2 » by BorkLazer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 pm

F**k Joe Buck
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:36 pm

"Bloomberg's Scott Soshnick and Lucas Shaw reported Fox had competition from NBC and CBS - who paid a combined $450 million a year to air TNF games each of the past two seasons but noted "their enthusiasm has waned with NFL ratings down 9.7 percent this past regular season."

"Interest has waned" yet the NFL’s bottom line just jumped $100+ million per year.

Can’t make it up.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 pm

I do like the irony of fox sports buying more NFL television rights while foxnews favourite son Donald does his best to kill NFL ratings as a whole.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#5 » by Barcs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Don't be fooled by the ratings. The NFL is in no shortage of money.

This is going to suck, however. Aikmen and Joe buck are the worst announce team in the history of sports, now I'm forced to listen to their verbal diarrhea every Thursday?
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,525

Post#6 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu Feb 1, 2018 1:04 am

The_Hater wrote:I do like the irony of fox sports buying more NFL television rights while foxnews favourite son Donald does his best to kill NFL ratings as a whole.

Not just Trump, Fox News has contributed to the anti-NFL kneeling stuff while Fox broadcast increases its investment in the NFL. Will Fox tell their Fox News personalities to cool it on the NFL?
teebonze
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#7 » by teebonze » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:48 am

BorkLazer wrote:F**k Joe Buck

Luckily he won’t be available most of the season during this time because he does baseball. Hopefully Fox decides to have their own dedicated Thursday night team that is not Joe Buck & Troy Aikman.
What you know about Dirk’s leadership skills is non existent. You don’t have a clue. Your ability to evaluate leadership skills….well you obviously have an overinflated value of your own. Did you take business classes at Marquette?
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#8 » by BorkLazer » Thu Feb 1, 2018 12:17 pm

teebonze wrote:

Luckily he won’t be available most of the season during this time because he does baseball. Hopefully Fox decides to have their own dedicated Thursday night team that is not Joe Buck & Troy Aikman.

God I hope so. Get Gus Johnson in there!
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Feb 1, 2018 4:19 pm

From listening to Troy Aikman this morning on his regular Thursday appearance on The Ticket in Dallas, it sounds like the game would have to have some significance for he and Buck to do a TNF game. Short of that, they are staying on Sunday afternoons. It was part of the negotiations.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion