2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#61 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:13 pm

This morning's blurb of interest...

Stephen Jones explains why 'it'd be real difficult' to work out long-term contract with DL David Irving
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/01/24/stephen-jones-explains-itd-real-difficult-work-long-term-contract-dl-david-irving

MOBILE, Ala. -- Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones didn't sound optimistic Wednesday about working out a long-term deal for defensive lineman David Irving.

Irving will be a restricted free agent this offseason and is expected to re-sign with Dallas. The Cowboys will likely place a second-round tender on him. Irving can negotiate with other teams, but the Cowboys have the option to match any deal and would receive a second-round pick if they opt not to match the deal.

Irving had a career-high seven sacks last season in only eight games. He missed the first four games because of a suspension and the last four games because of a concussion. He has 11 1/2 sacks in his three seasons in Dallas.

"It'll be a difficult one and probably, if anything, he needs to put together a full season and consistency and all of that," Jones said. "Obviously played outstanding when he was healthy. DeMarcus Lawrence put together a full, great year and obviously that's important. So therefore, I think it'd be real difficult to figure out something long-term with David."

Brandon George - Dallas Morning News
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#62 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Redskins...

gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#63 » by gravytrain24 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:47 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Redskins...

It will take 5 games before they clamor for Colt McCoy or whoever the rookie QB is. Living in the D.C. area this was the biggest story of the night, not our basketball team ending someones 8 game win streak with out our 5 time all star. I hate the skids.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:

It will take 5 games before they clamor for Colt McCoy or whoever the rookie QB is. Living in the D.C. area this was the biggest story of the night, not our basketball team ending someones 8 game win streak with out our 5 time all star. I hate the skids.

My best friend of over 40 years (Texan - but a true fan) is a die hard Redskins fan. He ended our call last night with "I'm gonna go puke now".

I don't blame him. Or you.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#65 » by gravytrain24 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:

My best friend of over 40 years (Texan - but a true fan) is a die hard Redskins fan. He ended our call last night with "I'm gonna go puke now".

That's funny, some people here are trying to justify him being a great quarterback. It's terrible because i'm a realist of my team and others but you can't say that to people here because it immediately comes back to, "when was the last time y'all won a playoff game" or "cowgirls this, cowgirls that". That's why I love when the cowboys sweep them b/c I get to come back with "we beat y'all tho, twice"
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:37 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:It will take 5 games before they clamor for Colt McCoy or whoever the rookie QB is. Living in the D.C. area this was the biggest story of the night, not our basketball team ending someones 8 game win streak with out our 5 time all star. I hate the skids.

That's funny, some people here are trying to justify him being a great quarterback. It's terrible because i'm a realist of my team and others but you can't say that to people here because it immediately comes back to, "when was the last time y'all won a playoff game" or "cowgirls this, cowgirls that". That's why I love when the cowboys sweep them b/c I get to come back with "we beat y'all tho, twice"

I don't know how anyone can look at Alex Smith and call him "great". That is idiotic. To even make the attempt at saying they improved the team by replacing Cousins with Smith is absurd.

And speaking of idiotic... Bruce Allen. He's ruined two teams now. It won't be long before he takes the Redskins to "Browns level". When that happens, all those people up there will be left with is "when was the last time y'all won a playoff game"... while they live in an annual 4-12 world. I know some really good Redskins fans who don't deserve this.

But let's you and me keep rooting for the continued health and sustained ownership of Little Danny Snyder. The Redskins need him.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Feb 1, 2018 1:18 pm

All this blather about Earl Thomas coming home...

Is he going to take a home town discount?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#68 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 2, 2018 6:51 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:All this blather about Earl Thomas coming home...

I actually think he could. I believe he’ll be 30 years old next season. Seattle will let him walk because his current skill level doesn’t match his pay. Some team will still offer him a big contract though. If the Cowboys are at least close to other offered I think he would take a little less to play with the Cowboys.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:14 pm

Mr B wrote:

I actually think he could. I believe he’ll be 30 years old next season. Seattle will let him walk because his current skill level doesn’t match his pay. Some team will still offer him a big contract though. If the Cowboys are at least close to other offered I think he would take a little less to play with the Cowboys.

Anything is possible... after all - his old position coach is already here. One should not dismiss that selling point, I suppose.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#70 » by gravytrain24 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:25 am

I really hope Garrett was watching this game and taking notes because is subpar coaching and non adjustments aren't acceptable anymore
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#71 » by gravytrain24 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 5:00 am

I wonder what it would take to get Malcolm Butler. He must've done something to get on belichecks bad side.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:54 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:I really hope Garrett was watching this game and taking notes because is subpar coaching and non adjustments aren't acceptable anymore

The sad part is watching Peterson probably didn't affect Garrett at all. The dude is driven by his "process" mantra. And even if he were prone to taking chances, we need some upgrades on offense (specifically at WR) to drive that.

I'm more of the opinion that I hope Jerry was watching. Because in the end, it's up to him.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:57 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:I wonder what it would take to get Malcolm Butler. He must've done something to get on belichecks bad side.

The mystery question from last night... what the hell happened there?

I'm not sure about him coming here though. I don't want to limit the playing time for the kids at CB... and we do have more pressing issues (like the D-Line) that need addressed.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 5, 2018 1:21 pm

Second question from last night.

What the hell???

Read on Twitter
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#75 » by gravytrain24 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:29 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Second question from last night.

What the hell???

Read on Twitter

Philly fans can't have nice things.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#76 » by gravytrain24 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:33 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:I really hope Garrett was watching this game and taking notes because is subpar coaching and non adjustments aren't acceptable anymore

The sad part is watching Peterson probably didn't affect Garrett at all. The dude is driven by his "process" mantra. And even if he were prone to taking chances, we need some upgrades on offense (specifically at WR) to drive that.

I'm more of the opinion that I hope Jerry was watching. Because in the end, it's up to him.

I think you can take chances with the players we have but if stories are true about how players are limited on their route trees and you can take a chance because everyone already knows whats about to happen. I feel that both offenses are built the same but Pederson takes advantage of what all of his players can do, while Garrett goes through his processes.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by gravytrain24 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:35 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:I wonder what it would take to get Malcolm Butler. He must've done something to get on belichecks bad side.

I'm not sure about him coming here though. I don't want to limit the playing time for the kids at CB... and we do have more pressing issues (like the D-Line) that need addressed.

You still have injury prone scandrick on the roster tho, no one can develop behind him because they aren't get consistent time. If you could swap them, i'd be fine with that.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:44 pm

My final take...

Note to the Omni Dallas - you did the same damn thing when the Astros won the World Series. This is unacceptable.

The end.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:46 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

You still have injury prone scandrick on the roster tho, no one can develop behind him because they aren't get consistent time. If you could swap them, i'd be fine with that.

I think Scandrick is either gone or moves back to the slot as the #3 CB. The kids are going to play. And based on the tea leaves locally, I suspect he is gone.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#80 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Feb 5, 2018 5:50 pm

Spoiler:
He's still under contract Otis! :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to Dallas Cowboys