ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,396

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#161 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Read up on how things ended in Vancouver for AV...similarities are scary...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#162 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:10 pm

If the Rangers miss the playoffs, AV is gone. Simple as that.

I DO think when the Rangers move Nash & Grabner they will go after Evander Kane. Gritty, big scoring LW? HARD to find. After Winnipeg and Buffalo, two cities where the token Black guy is in every instagram of those towns, he'll be much calmer and comfortable in NYC where you're just one of 8.5 million diverse.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#163 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 am

Captain America, Ryan Mcdonagh scores 2 goals and Brady Skjei also puts one in...Rangers snap their losing streak. It’s never good when the defense almost outscored the forwards.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,949

Post#164 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Well the reports are coming out, the Rangers will officially be sellers this deadline. Let the trading games begin, the deadline is the 28th next month. We have about 30 days to squeeze out all the value we can from this team.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#165 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 pm

The problem with the Rangers is the fact, they have a very blue collar, lunch pail workman roster with a Hall of Fame goaltender. Who are the cornerstones of this team? Nash is almost 5 yrs from his former glory. The rest of the offense doesn't quite scare opposing teams.

F Mika Zibanejad, J.T. Miller, and Pavel Buchnevich, and D Brady Skjei are good 2nd and/or 3rd line players. The Rangers have begun nurturing first line roster led by Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil, and Igor Shestyorkin but none of them are ready for another season or two.

Whoever gave Marc Staal, a full no-trade clause should be shot. 30-year old and second highest paid defenseman (Shattenkirk getting top pay) who is guaranteed almost $6M per season till 2021. Nice job. Nash and Mcdonagh have partial no-trade clauses. I think Mcdonagh is going to be dangled but unless the Rangers get a haul, they won't part with their Captain.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#166 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:08 pm

To be fair, how many truly potential cornerstones are there in hockey? I personally wouldn't mind if the Rangers go after someone like Jonathan Drouin and try and grab that next great goal scorer. Though with Montreal reeling this year, I see no reason as to why they would give him up. I think more than any other sport, there are gems to find all around the league. NHL is all about opportunity and fit, there are a ton of guys who could fit the bill. Maybe Yakupov? Sam Reinhart?

It's as you say, we have nice pieces, but nothing that you have to try and take away from us. Our scoring chances are usually predicated on precise puck movement and simply grinding until we do. Sure we get the occasional breakaway, but it seems like only Grabner gets those.

The Rangers don't owe it to Hank to try and compete this year, we've done it for years and that's part of the reason we're in this mess now. I don't blame them at all for that, we've had our runs. We've been in the playoffs the past seven years and the Rangers are viewed in high regard around the league.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#167 » by magnumt » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Odd timing for the Rangers to rebuild and be sellers. But, they've Drafted well the last few years, so I trust them. For now.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#168 » by NYKHardKnock » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:16 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The problem with the Rangers is the fact, they have a very blue collar, lunch pail workman roster with a Hall of Fame goaltender. Who are the cornerstones of this team? Nash is almost 5 yrs from his former glory. The rest of the offense doesn't quite scare opposing teams.

F Mika Zibanejad, J.T. Miller, and Pavel Buchnevich, and D Brady Skjei are good 2nd and/or 3rd line players. The Rangers have begun nurturing first line roster led by Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil, and Igor Shestyorkin but none of them are ready for another season or two.

Whoever gave Marc Staal, a full no-trade clause should be shot. 30-year old and second highest paid defenseman (Shattenkirk getting top pay) who is guaranteed almost $6M per season till 2021. Nice job. Nash and Mcdonagh have partial no-trade clauses. I think Mcdonagh is going to be dangled but unless the Rangers get a haul, they won't part with their Captain.
Andersson can very much take the #3 C spot next season. I would like Chytil to have another season or mid season call up from Hartford. I would hate for a full rebuild with Lundqvist in his last few years, but I think it's best, otherewise it'll set the team back many years. Retain half his salary and send him to a contending team that needs a starting goalie. He will not win a cup with the NYR.

You have 2-3 years of lotto picks, Igor should be starting. Especially with Allaire I would be shocked if he weren't an NHL elite goalie 3-5 years. And the Rangers should be contending by 22-23
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#169 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:To be fair, how many truly potential cornerstones are there in hockey? I personally wouldn't mind if the Rangers go after someone like Jonathan Drouin and try and grab that next great goal scorer. Though with Montreal reeling this year, I see no reason as to why they would give him up. I think more than any other sport, there are gems to find all around the league. NHL is all about opportunity and fit, there are a ton of guys who could fit the bill. Maybe Yakupov? Sam Reinhart?

It's as you say, we have nice pieces, but nothing that you have to try and take away from us. Our scoring chances are usually predicated on precise puck movement and simply grinding until we do. Sure we get the occasional breakaway, but it seems like only Grabner gets those.

The Rangers don't owe it to Hank to try and compete this year, we've done it for years and that's part of the reason we're in this mess now. I don't blame them at all for that, we've had our runs. We've been in the playoffs the past seven years and the Rangers are viewed in high regard around the league.

When the Rangers had Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Martin St. Louis around Lundqvist, I'd say that's a starting nucleus. The pieces that the Rangers currently have are nice but more second and 3rd unit scorers.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#170 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm

"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#171 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Well Nash and Grabner are expiring contracts...Grabner doesn't have a no-trade so they can make it work.

Similar to Nash, Mcdonagh has a partial no-trade clause, so the Rangers are NOT going to get much because contending teams will low ball you. It's not worth getting a late first rounder for your BEST defenseman who is on a very good contract. You will NEVER get a another defenseman taking $4.7M per season. The reason why the Rangers traded captain Callahan was due to his stupid contract, which was $6+ per season. Similar to Girardi, a DUMB signing. Mcdonagh is locked in.

Trading Mcdonagh, makes 30-year old Staal the Rangers best hope on D.

Zuccarello won't yield that much. He's 29 yrs old, undersized, making $4.5M.

When you have a lunch pail team w/o All-Star appearances, it makes it hard asking for a fair return. The Rangers don't need a full rebuild, they have at least 3-4 key young guys at vital positions on their way. What they simply must do is, move the contracts that they won't be re-newing anyways.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Well Nash and Grabner are expiring contracts...Grabner doesn't have a no-trade so they can make it work.

Similar to Nash, Mcdonagh has a partial no-trade clause, so the Rangers are NOT going to get much because contending teams will low ball you. It's not worth getting a late first rounder for your BEST defenseman who is on a very good contract. You will NEVER get a another defenseman taking $4.7M per season. The reason why the Rangers traded captain Callahan was due to his stupid contract, which was $6+ per season. Similar to Girardi, a DUMB signing. Mcdonagh is locked in.

Trading Mcdonagh, makes 30-year old Staal the Rangers best hope on D.

Zuccarello won't yield that much. He's 29 yrs old, undersized, making $4.5M.

When you have a lunch pail team w/o All-Star appearances, it makes it hard asking for a fair return. The Rangers don't need a full rebuild, they have at least 3-4 key young guys at vital positions on their way. What they simply must do is, move the contracts that they won't be re-newing anyways.

I think your overlooking one valuable thing, this team has players with a TON of playoff experience. That's usually valued in hockey, see a Justin Williams, a Joel Ward. More or less lunch pail players but always seem to be in the middle of things during the playoffs. Any casual fan expecting to have a "Yankee" like trade deadline is in for a surprise, but I do see value on this team.

I wouldn't mind a Hagelin like trade, even though that didn't work out for us. We targeted Etem and were high on Gropp. At least we attempted to get bigger and faster on the wings. While Gropp hasn't exactly developed like they hope, I didn't mind the idea behind the deal.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#173 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
I think your overlooking one valuable thing, this team has players with a TON of playoff experience. That's usually valued in hockey, see a Justin Williams, a Joel Ward. More or less lunch pail players but always seem to be in the middle of things during the playoffs. Any casual fan expecting to have a "Yankee" like trade deadline is in for a surprise, but I do see value on this team.

I wouldn't mind a Hagelin like trade, even though that didn't work out for us. We targeted Etem and were high on Gropp. At least we attempted to get bigger and faster on the wings. While Gropp hasn't exactly developed like they hope, I didn't mind the idea behind the deal.

Carl Hagelin just turned 29 in August. He's experienced by way of NY Rangers taking a chance on a guy passed over by others.

Hagelin is a checking line guy...who excels on penalty killing. Rangers TRADED Hagelin for two draft picks (No. 59 and 179) to the Anaheim Ducks for Emerson Etem and the No. 41 pick in the draft. Those draft picks: #59 Center Julius Nattinen and Goalie Garrett Metcalf...anyone hear about them? Emerson Etem was a BUST.

Rangers will NEVER get another opportunity for a guy like that. 2015 was when the Rangers lost Brian Boyle, Tanner Glass, and Hagelin who were playoff monsters and defensively carried Lundquist to the Stanley Cup Finals...

No, I'm sorry the front office has not proven to me to know how to make good roster moves since 2015.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#174 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 2, 2018 1:05 am

6 minutes into the second period, 4-0 Toronto...Lundquist was pulled. Say it with me, #Rebuild
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#175 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 2, 2018 12:35 pm

Time to fire AV.. Rangers look like a dumpster fire out there. Hank was pissed in the post game.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#176 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Feb 2, 2018 1:07 pm

Looked like the Rangers were building a young promising organization for a while until they weren't.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#177 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:08 pm

Well, they missed their window when they lost to the Kings 1-4. Keep in mind, they HAD the lead in EVERY game, going into the 3rd period. I still say, Hank lost that series for them. The LAST line of defense MUST preserve the lead. That's a goalie's ONLY job.

I still say, the Rangers don't have to overhaul the team. They have 2 expiring contracts in Grabner and Nash, which should fetch them a haul in young talent. They have at least 3-4 really good prospects. Again, they don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

They DO have to continue getting younger, faster, and bigger.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#178 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Feb 3, 2018 10:30 pm

Pavel Butchnevich is out indefinitely d/t a concussion. Not good. NOT good at all. Rangers better start making moves because Grabner's scoring drought is bound to lower the return.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#179 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 4, 2018 3:31 am

Staal is the latest to go down. Rangers trailing the Preds 1-3. Mcdonagh with a great assist to JT Miller's goal. That's it. I'm sorry but if the Islanders beat the Rangers for the 10th out of the last 12 times, AV is going to the gallows.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#180 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Feb 4, 2018 1:08 pm

So there are a bunch of rumors about a Mcdonagh trade to the Lightning...

Return to New York Knicks