ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#181 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 4, 2018 2:31 pm

At this point, the Rangers should trade everyone....EVERRRRYONNE!!!!!! (Leon the Professional reference)

1. Since Mika Zibanejad returned from concussion, he hasn't produced much. Since the All-Star break, AV inserted him into the first line as Center. Guess what? NOTHING. He's NOT a 1st line center. It's clear he's not a first line guy because he can't stay healthy and he is not as aggressive. Mika is at his best when he rushes the net. Only he's not a beefy dude. He's tall but fragile. Last year, you could hear his bone break at MSG when he tried to chase the puck (Rangers dumped the puck in, to forecheck) and fell awkwardly. Now, he plays with trepidation. Second round Center at best. He's the second highest paid Forward BTW...

2. Last night, JT Miller got a goal for the first time in feels like a month. Is he a first line center? This was a guy that the Rangers originally didn't think would make the team. He was brilliant last season but this year, I think the league has caught up to him. Mostly he's undersized. 3rd line Center? Yes.

3. Jesper Fast and Jimmy Vesey are nice players but they ebb and flow in production, NEITHER are consistent or healthy enough to be first line guys.

4. Desharnais, Holland, Carey...life time AHL guys. NONE of which can play on the second line let alone the first line.

When AV was coaching in Vancouver, he had blue collar centers but BIG bruising wings in Naslund and Bertuzzi...he has SMALL speedy Rangers on the Rangers and Nash.

Let's go over to defense....

1. Smith and Holden serviceable big buys with limited skill set. They lack speed and they don't hit very hard.

2. Skjei is one player the Rangers better lock up, smartly as they did McDonagh...that's the only real keeper outside of McD.

This is a rare time in Ranger history because the team has tuned out not only AV but also Hank.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#182 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Feb 5, 2018 11:10 pm

UGH....reading Blue shirt banter and there's this rumor of McDonagh for Center Tyler Johnson being the framework of the deal. Um, Tyler Johnson is 5'8" and if you've noticed the trend in the league is getting bigger, faster bodies at Center who can see all over the ice and make those home run passes to speedy forwards. On the Lightning where Johnson has Stamkos and other weapons, I am weary of his stats as well.

I just hope the Rangers don't pull a Knicks...
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#183 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:36 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:UGH....reading Blue shirt banter and there's this rumor of McDonagh for Center Tyler Johnson being the framework of the deal. Um, Tyler Johnson is 5'8" and if you've noticed the trend in the league is getting bigger, faster bodies at Center who can see all over the ice and make those home run passes to speedy forwards. On the Lightning where Johnson has Stamkos and other weapons, I am weary of his stats as well.

I just hope the Rangers don't pull a Knicks...

I still have nightmares with how much Johnson had his way with us a few years ago. I don't mind trading McDonagh if the right deal is there, but this would make no sense for us. Adding Johnson here doesn't move the needle at all, but I understand he'd be one of the pieces coming our way. Now maybe if we started with Mikhail Sergachev...
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#184 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Feb 6, 2018 8:53 am

Bad angle goal leads to yet another Rangers loss. Once again, Zucchini/Mika/Nash...pretty quiet.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#185 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Feb 6, 2018 3:08 pm

Here's my worry with the Rangers...there is no such thing as a "quick rebuild" in hockey. Unlike basketball and football, hockey draft picks take anywhere from 1-3 years to ripen...and even STILL there is no guarantee they'll become top line players.

The reason why I believe it is crucial, Mcdonagh is retained is due to the fact, a team NEEDS to retain its character. Right now, the Rangers have a very humble blue collar. That is how they made it through 3 rounds of game 7s en route to the Stanley Cup finals. Otherwise, a total overhaul reminds me a lot of the Lindros years...Ugh. Ugly.

If the Rangers can move Nash and Grabner, not only will they have a good cache of draft picks but also free up enough cap space to have a shot at defenseman, Erik Karlsson. Move one more salary and they'll have a shot at LW Evander Kane. That's two huge upgrades plus they have 3 kids brewing in the minors plus whatever their draft picks yield.

But this notion that the Rangers can get something from Tampa, please note the Rangers had Richards, St. Louis and came away with nothing while Tampa Bay used those picks and space to become a Stanley Cup winner.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#186 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:44 am

Rangers getting waxed at home vs the Bruins 1-5. Lundquist pulled.

It's time. And goodbye AV. You scowling twerp.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#187 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:51 am

The dominate Rangers we all know for a decade is overrrrr
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,394

Post#188 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:09 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers getting waxed at home vs the Bruins 1-5. Lundquist pulled.

It's time. And goodbye AV. You scowling twerp.

It's a FUBAR.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#189 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:45 am

Seems like what I wrote earlier in the season was pretty accurate.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#190 » by NYKnicksFTW » Thu Feb 8, 2018 4:02 am

Hornacek will be fired
AV will be fired

New head coaches coming to MSG!
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#191 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:58 pm

Blue Shirts Banter at it again, this time assessing the value of Nick Holden who is serviceable, stay at home defenseman with size but not much else...and leaves his man prematurely BUT if the Rangers can move his contract complete with trading Nash & Grabner for draft picks then the Rangers do NOT have to have a fire sale as they had in 2004:

1. Moving Rick Nash $7.8M + Grabner $1.6M + Holden $1.6M = $11M cap space

2. Target D Erik Karlsson $6.M who can be convinced if fellow Swede Henrik Lundquist sells him on New York.

3. Target LW Evander Kane $5.2 who can't wait to live in another city where for once, he's not the "token Black guy."

Now...the Rangers can bring size and speed to their top line.

Then bring up L. Andersson & a few call-ups and you are back in business.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,394

Post#192 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:47 pm

This is a cross post in another thread...it's good news...

“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 8, 2018 11:10 pm

Smith put on waivers, we're losing players left and right to injuries, kudos to the Rangers for coming out and stating the obvious. They had a great run and we came damn close against the Kings. No shame in admitting the obvious that a rebuild in on the way.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#194 » by The_Special_One » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:02 am

The Knicks could learn a thing or two from the Rangers...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#195 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:50 am

The Rangers waived Brendan Smith on HIS Birthday...not exactly the best time to waive a guy that they horribly overpaid when the Red Wings couldn't wait to dump him for a bag of pucks. Another stay at home defenseman who doesn't have very good awareness but more or less a checking line defenseman.

Essentially the Rangers are in a mad dash to SLASH payroll and that makes me think they WILL go HARD after Karlsson and Kane in the off-season.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 9, 2018 2:26 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:The Rangers waived Brendan Smith on HIS Birthday...not exactly the best time to waive a guy that they horribly overpaid when the Red Wings couldn't wait to dump him for a bag of pucks. Another stay at home defenseman who doesn't have very good awareness but more or less a checking line defenseman.

Essentially the Rangers are in a mad dash to SLASH payroll and that makes me think they WILL go HARD after Karlsson and Kane in the off-season.

I don't see it that way at all. I think this trade deadline is going to be a bloodbath, the Rangers are going to be bad the next few years. Gorton kept talking long term, I think everyone is going to be traded whether it's the deadline or before the draft. I'd love to add Karlson, but he makes absolutely no sense when we're not going to be contenders. ESPECIALLY with the letter letting the fans and ticket holders no, everyone is for sale.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#197 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 9, 2018 3:01 am

Manhattan Project wrote:I don't see it that way at all. I think this trade deadline is going to be a bloodbath, the Rangers are going to be bad the next few years. Gorton kept talking long term, I think everyone is going to be traded whether it's the deadline or before the draft. I'd love to add Karlson, but he makes absolutely no sense when we're not going to be contenders. ESPECIALLY with the letter letting the fans and ticket holders no, everyone is for sale.

I really hope you're wrong.

Um, it's a HUGE mistake ripping up a hockey club. Similar to MLB players, NHL players take a couple seasons to ferment. So anyone Gorton drafts, we won't see them 1-2 seasons PLUS another season or two in the pros to ripen. If the Rangers are intent on burning the club down to ground, it won't take a few seasons, it'll take FIVE years to rebuild into a playoff contender. MINIMUM. That's IF everything goes right.

Then there comes the vets...a non-competitive team has to overpay to get one vet. Who remembers when Sather went out and signed Lindros, Bure, etc. It was a DISASTER.

Up until the Rangers were hit by a injury storm, they were 5 points from first place. This NHL season, NO ONE looked favorable. Still no one looks unbeatable. You NEED core guys in the locker room who set the tone. The Yankees had Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams, and Andy Pettitte before adding Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez. The Rangers NEED the same as well. You NEED Mcdonagh, Zucc, Henrik...as the Rangers call up the younger guys to put them on the same page.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#198 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 9, 2018 3:20 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:I really hope you're wrong.

Um, it's a HUGE mistake ripping up a hockey club. Similar to MLB players, NHL players take a couple seasons to ferment. So anyone Gorton drafts, we won't see them 1-2 seasons PLUS another season or two in the pros to ripen. If the Rangers are intent on burning the club down to ground, it won't take a few seasons, it'll take FIVE years to rebuild into a playoff contender. MINIMUM. That's IF everything goes right.

Then there comes the vets...a non-competitive team has to overpay to get one vet. Who remembers when Sather went out and signed Lindros, Bure, etc. It was a DISASTER.

Up until the Rangers were hit by a injury storm, they were 5 points from first place. This NHL season, NO ONE looked favorable. Still no one looks unbeatable. You NEED core guys in the locker room who set the tone. The Yankees had Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams, and Andy Pettitte before adding Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez. The Rangers NEED the same as well. You NEED Mcdonagh, Zucc, Henrik...as the Rangers call up the younger guys to put them on the same page.

Whose actually safe on this team? Mika, Hank, Kreider, Vesey, Buchenvich, Hayes, Miller, DeAngelo and Skeji? After that whose really worth keeping around? Chytil, Andersson, Gettinger and Shestyorkin are in place already. We're talking about trading the likes of Zuccarello, Nash, Grabner and McDonagh if we're getting crazy. In the offseason it would make sense to move on from Shattenkirk.

I won't pretend to follow college hockey or hockey overseas, but apparently this draft is all about Rasmus Dahlin. I'll be watching Sweden games this Olympics to see what the hype is all about. Even Keith Tkachuck's other son is in this draft and I like his brother Matthew.

I don't think it's going to be near rock bottom like you do, they have a lot of the wingers in place already and possibly the centers next year if Andersson and Chytil are able to make the leap. With a new coach, youth infused team I don't see this as a five year process.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#199 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 9, 2018 3:23 am

Sather did this firesale crap in 2004, how'd it go?

fire sale of 2004 Sather traded for Pavel Bure, Eric Lindros, Jaromir Jagr, Alexei Kovalev, Mike Dunham, and Tom Poti. He also signed big ticket free agents like Bobby Holik and Darius Kasparaitis. The result of all those blockbuster deals and big contracts? The Rangers failed to qualify for the playoffs for four consecutive years before admitting defeat in March of 2004.-Blueshirtbanter

You do as the Red Wings did during their era of dominance when they were debating whether or not to trade Yzerman after trading away Adam Graves, Adam Oates, etc. You slowly replace parts as you get other components working. You don't do it completely in ONE season.

No doubt there is a lot of fat to trim but....

Buchnevich is 22, AV has kept this kid off the ice yet he's top 4 scorer. Keeper.
Mcdonagh is in his prime and you'll NEVER get a defenseman on such a generous contract.
Zuc is 30 but similar to Kreider, they have post season blood...can let their contract expire as youth ripens.
Lundquist is a Hall of Famer, can't let him go despite that outrageous salary.

You need four working lines in the league, so it's not like JT Miller, Vesey don't have a place on the club.

The Rangers have to be careful about who they give big money to. Staal should NEVER have gotten that contract. Shattenkirk, eh. Learning what his limitations are.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 9, 2018 3:32 am

But since 2015 what have the Rangers done that was so bad? The days of Sather just throwing money at free agents are over. Gorton has done a good job of building this team piece by piece and the trades he's done were all rational to me. Maybe the Hagelin trade, but the jury is still out on Gropp. The Eric Staal trade ended up being a bust, but I had no problem with the deal. The Smith contract in hindsight looks bad, but his play in the playoffs last year was good. Maybe losing Lindberg to the Golden Knights, but we were going to lose someone. Maybe the Stepan trades blows up in our face, but we got a seventh overall and a solid prospect in return.

I mean I think your being way to hard on Gorton, Sather ain't calling the shots no more.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks