Should the Knicks sign Kristaps Porzingis to a max extension this offseason?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Should the Knicks sign Kristaps Porzingis to a max extension this offseason? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:10 pm

1. Yes
2. No
2hard2guard
Junior
And1: 15

Re: Should the Knicks sign Kristaps Porzingis to a max extension this offseason? 

Post#2 » by 2hard2guard » Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:20 pm

Why do a 80-100 million deal on a guy with a bum knee ! Chronic injury prone player ! I'm a Knicks fan and he is not or will never be a franchise or go to player ! If he adds 25+ pounds of muscle weight he may survive the NBA physical game but given that acl issue he is dead wood to me !
Joe-P
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Should the Knicks sign Kristaps Porzingis to a max extension this offseason? 

Post#3 » by Joe-P » Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:59 pm

2hard2guard wrote:Why do a 80-100 million deal on a guy with a bum knee ! Chronic injury prone player ! I'm a Knicks fan and he is not or will never be a franchise or go to player ! If he adds 25+ pounds of muscle weight he may survive the NBA physical game but given that acl issue he is dead wood to me !

I'm sorry... but what?!? Porzingod is a rare asset to hold onto in today's league. Anyone can clearly see that. Can you ever get a stretch 4 as dynamic as him? Think of some people who tore their ACL and came back. Lowry from college? Baron Davis? A very serious injury won't stop him from being who he was, even with recovery he will shine back in the Garden. i'd take him over many as a franchise player.
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#4 » by bj2323 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:43 pm

Torn ACL's are not as dreadful as like they were in the past. Still a bad injury to have, but medicine and physical therapy has drastically improved. He's still young and will come back from this.
I likes sports
TJ_Baller_24
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by TJ_Baller_24 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 4:15 pm

I fully expect the Knicks to sign Porzingis to an extension. I think that if the Knicks organization does this it will attract many marquee free agents. A lot of people don't agree with me because Porzingis tore his ACL.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#6 » by luss54321 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:44 pm

Does the pope **** in the woods?
2hard2guard
Junior
And1: 15

Post#7 » by 2hard2guard » Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:07 pm

This is a series of missed games & injuries one after another, his ankles & legs are so fukin lame his knee gave out ! This is like you tryin to get life insurance with a bad heart ! His agent prob will be looking long contract which may be way over 100 mill so if your a smart owner do you fork up the money for a geriatric risk ? The Knicks tanking will get them a great pick ! Trading off some pieces you can hopefully move up and get a top 3-4 pick so porzingis is expendable
Rabo715
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Rabo715 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:15 pm

This injury is devastating on so many levels. But the Knicks really have no choice but to offer the extension. While ACL injuries are typically ominous for NBA players, the players best suited for recovery are people who can shoot. And when you have a 7-3 player who leads the NBA in blocks, shoots 3s, and leads the team in scoring, you have to sign him to a max even if his ceiling is a little lower now.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#9 » by colaroaster » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:59 pm

porzingas prolly melting right now on his move to get out of melo's shadow b/c he has no where to hide - at least melo could chuck three's from anywhere
horusgrant
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#10 » by horusgrant » Thu Feb 8, 2018 8:44 pm

i wouldn't

business wise

what happens if he comes back & he's nowhere near the same player he once was
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#11 » by Barcs » Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:17 pm

Who the hell is voting yes on this??? Must be people that hate the Knicks and want to sabotage them. Coming off a major ACL injury, you give a max deal, for a player that has proved he can't stay healthy or compete at a high level consistently? Somebody is smoking some very good stuff.

I agree with extending him, but not on a max deal. He's not a top league talent, plain and simple. It's not even guaranteed that he returns to form.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,725

Post#12 » by HotelVitale » Thu Feb 8, 2018 10:40 pm

Barcs wrote:Who the hell is voting yes on this??? Must be people that hate the Knicks and want to sabotage them. Coming off a major ACL injury, you give a max deal, for a player that has proved he can't stay healthy or compete at a high level consistently? Somebody is smoking some very good stuff. I agree with extending him, but not on a max deal. He's not a top league talent, plain and simple. It's not even guaranteed that he returns to form.

Don't think you understand how NBA finances work based on how you're talking about this. You're talking as though you only give maxes out to MVP candidates, say the top 10 or 15 players in the league. Problems with that:
--there are 30 teams in the NBA, every one of them would love to max out any top-15 player
--zero of the top-30 or so players who are in or about to enter their primes are available just for $ or cap space
--the post-rookie max is only 25% of the cap

Given those facts, it's common wisdom that, if you have the chance to acquire a top-50 or so player and lock them up through their prime, you always do that. The only reason you wouldn't is if you already have multiple expensive all-stars better than the player you're about to extend (like the Heat or Celtics big 3, or the current Warriors); in that case your flexibility is limited and signing another max guy might be disastrous for your depth. The Knicks have no other all-star talent and no one who's definitely on that path, so it's a no brainer to keep Porzingis in the fold.

They don't have to do it now and they could just wait to see if KP makes a reasonable recovery, but there's no question they should re-sign him to a max deal if he's vaguely as good as he was pre-injury. (And many other teams would absolutely offer Porzingis the max if it meant getting him for nothing.)
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#13 » by Barcs » Thu Feb 8, 2018 11:28 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Barcs wrote:Who the hell is voting yes on this??? Must be people that hate the Knicks and want to sabotage them. Coming off a major ACL injury, you give a max deal, for a player that has proved he can't stay healthy or compete at a high level consistently? Somebody is smoking some very good stuff. I agree with extending him, but not on a max deal. He's not a top league talent, plain and simple. It's not even guaranteed that he returns to form.

Don't think you understand how NBA finances work based on how you're talking about this. You're talking as though you only give maxes out to MVP candidates, say the top 10 or 15 players in the league. Problems with that:
--there are 30 teams in the NBA, every one of them would love to max out any top-15 player
--zero of the top-30 or so players who are in or about to enter their primes are available just for $ or cap space
--the post-rookie max is only 25% of the cap

Given those facts, it's common wisdom that, if you have the chance to acquire a top-50 or so player and lock them up through their prime, you always do that. The only reason you wouldn't is if you already have multiple expensive all-stars better than the player you're about to extend (like the Heat or Celtics big 3, or the current Warriors); in that case your flexibility is limited and signing another max guy might be disastrous for your depth. The Knicks have no other all-star talent and no one who's definitely on that path, so it's a no brainer to keep Porzingis in the fold.

They don't have to do it now and they could just wait to see if KP makes a reasonable recovery, but there's no question they should re-sign him to a max deal if he's vaguely as good as he was pre-injury. (And many other teams would absolutely offer Porzingis the max if it meant getting him for nothing.)

I get what you are saying here, but you don't give a guy coming off a major injury a max deal, rookie or not. That was the primary factor for me. Contracts like that are the ones that burn teams for many years to come. I can't count the amount of times the Knicks did that and got boned. I would consider it as well if he came back and played as good as he was playing AND stayed healthy, but right now with a torn ACL and his inability to finish a single season, it's a terrible idea to extend him this off season. The guy is always hurt.

I also think he's been over rated by fans a bit. He's very good, but nowhere near great. The guy waved to somebody in the crowd on the last play of a game and screwed up the play as a result. He's still very immature and has a long way to go, IMO.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:

Return to Polls Discussion