ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#201 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 9, 2018 5:30 am

Manhattan Project wrote:But since 2015 what have the Rangers done that was so bad? The days of Sather just throwing money at free agents are over. Gorton has done a good job of building this team piece by piece and the trades he's done were all rational to me. Maybe the Hagelin trade, but the jury is still out on Gropp. The Eric Staal trade ended up being a bust, but I had no problem with the deal. The Smith contract in hindsight looks bad, but his play in the playoffs last year was good. Maybe losing Lindberg to the Golden Knights, but we were going to lose someone. Maybe the Stepan trades blows up in our face, but we got a seventh overall and a solid prospect in return.

I mean I think your being way to hard on Gorton, Sather ain't calling the shots no more.

My point is, there's nothing to indicate that the Rangers need a total overhaul, it almost never works in hockey and if nothing else lengthens rebuilding...

Sather admitted his mistake in 2004, he's responsible for building the team that made a Stanley Cup run in 2014. Gorton took over the season after. No...I don't give him credit for the 2014 team.

As for the moves Gorton made...

He's the guy who traded away Hagelin for a defensive bust, Emerson.

He's the guy who traded for Yandle then lost him...

He's the guy who signed Brendan Smith to an outrageous contract.

He's the guy who brought in Shattenkirk who doesn't fit that team.

Other moves weren't as distressing but haven't really panned out: Mika Zibanejad can't stay healthy.

AV hates Buchnevich...who seems to get Ntilikina treatment in playing time.

We'll see if he can get good value for expiring contracts and sign Kane, Karlsson (another Swede) but those are clearly the BEST moves he can make.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#202 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Finally Rangers snapped their losing streak....

Rangers made an curious move, receiving forward John Albert and defenseman/goon Hubert Labrie from the Washington Capitals in exchange for minor league forwards, Adam Chapie and Joe Whitney. Don't think it makes the Rangers any better. Basically plugs a hole left my injuries to the defensive corps.

McDonagh is the latest to get hurt. That'll affect his value. I don't see Lightning making a good deal a deal for him.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#203 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Rangers stretch their win streak to a glorious 2 games over the Winnipeg Jets. Zucc finally gets back on track. Grabby with an empty netter.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,396

Post#204 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:58 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers stretch their win streak to a glorious 2 games over the Winnipeg Jets. Zucc finally gets back on track. Grabby with an empty netter.

Rangers had to weather a serious storm in the 1st period. Two of the Jets goals were called back but the video backed the calls. Good game considering they are dealing with a shorthanded roster.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#205 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

The NY Rangers are 3 games over .500 and that's good for LAST PLACE in the Metropolitan Division, the most murderous division in the NHL.

This is what makes the Rangers transitioning soooo damn difficult.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#206 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 am

Well the Rangers had their 2 game streak snapped. 2-3 loss to the Minnesota Wild. Staal’s brother delivered the first stroke, a player the Rangers weren’t interested in keeping, having a rebound season.

More injuries, more call ups and more inconsistent play.

At this point the Rangers could miss the playoffs. Gonna be a photo finish.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#207 » by BadNewsBarnes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Another HORRIBLE first period.
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#208 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:00 am

The Isles swept the Rangers this season and if AV gets fired, it’ll be due to his predictable nature that the Isles always punish him for.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#209 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Former NY Ranger 1st line Center D. Brassard scored a goal, 2 assists and the Senators put a whuppin’ on the Rangers. Grabner with 2 goals.

Mcdonagh submitted his no-trade list. I’ll be shattered if the Rangers trade Mac.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#210 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Rangers got shalacked at home against the Flyers 7-4. Going into the 3rd, the Rangers were down 4-5 before Philly pulled away. What can I say, the Rangers are not playing with any sense of urgency.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#211 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers got shalacked at home against the Flyers 7-4. Going into the 3rd, the Rangers were down 4-5 before Philly pulled away. What can I say, the Rangers are not playing with any sense of urgency.

They are not a very good team. Let the sell-off begin.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#212 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 pm

8 days to go until the deadline. One thing that sucks about hockey is that you barely hear any rumors in regards to players, trades just usually happen. Allegedly the Bruins and Lightning have been asking about McDonagh, we're asking for DeBrusk from the Bruins who looks like a really nice LW.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#213 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Anything can happen but I'm hoping Mcdonagh stays with the Rangers because defensemen are kind of like pitchers in MLB, they cost A LOT in FA and more often than not, you get burned. Knicks need front line Center BADLY but DeBrusk is promising...even though I STILL say the Rangers go out and get Evander Kane who will take anything to get out of Buffalo.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#214 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 pm

https://nypost.com/2018/02/20/rangers-fire-sale-begins-with-nick-holden/

If you’re scoring at home, the Rangers flipped a 2017 fourth-rounder for a 2018 third-rounder, 24-year-old defenseman Rob O’Gara and 135 games (plus 11 in the playoffs) from Nick Holden following a trade Tuesday that sent No. 55 to the Bruins.

Holden, obtained at the 2016 draft from the Avalanche for that fourth-rounder, is the first Blueshirt out the door in the massive renovation process leading into the Feb. 26 trade deadline that will continue through the summer...The addition of the third-rounder gives the Rangers seven picks in the upcoming draft, including all of their own for the first six rounds.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#215 » by BadNewsBarnes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 pm

j4remi wrote:Image

That's a decent start. We should be looking for more draft picks.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#216 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Nick Holden, often first line defenseman paired with Mcdonagh, was traded and frees up $1.8M. Holden's numbers fell off from 11 goals, 23 assists, +13 to 3 goals, 9 assists, negative 3. Rob O'Gara who put up zeroes...should be a bench warmer. 3rd Rounder sounds like modest intake but O'Gara is a 23 year old, which means 18 year old in defenseman years. He's also a monster 6'4" which is what you need to surround your goalie as he gets older.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:04 am

It's a solid deal I think. O'Gara might be nothing more than a third line goon, but at least he brings a ton of size. We also pick up a third round pick in the deal. Considering we gave up a fourth round pick for Holden, we at least won that trade with him. Holden at the end of the day was a solid player, but nothing special. He'll be 31 and was going to be a free agent.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#218 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Agreed.

Holden had a great first year with the Rangers but this season, he's turned the puck over at the blue line so many times, it's made the Garden wince. Don't know why AV thought it was a good idea to pair him with Mcdonagh on the first line because I've watched him make basic defenseman 101 mistakes such as when there's a 2:1 you force the man with the puck to commit/pass it to the outside so the goalie has the angle in his favor. Naw, Nick would keep skating backwards, backwards until he obscures Hank's vision, he takes a valiant swipe with the stick but both players have got the drop and have every option available.

The Rangers need size on defense especially on the checking line. Let me re-emphasize that, the Rangers need SIZE on defense especially on the checking line. Guys who can out-muscle the opposing forwards who park in front of Lundquist.

Now, the 3rd round pick is nice but again, there's no telling if the pick is going to mature into a good prospect let alone make the team but it clears up cap space and hockey is a sport that demands vets. Even if the Rangers get a haul after the deadline, they're going to need to go after Karleson and Kane and A LOT of time to figure out the NEW personality.

When the Detroit Red Wings were constantly getting knocked out by the Dynasty Edmonton Oilers in playoffs, the team considered a fire sale. Adam Oates and Adam Graves, aka the Adam Smashers were traded but young owner, Mike Illitch stepped in and said NO to trading away a kid named Steve Yzerman who became the personality of the Red Wing Dynasty.

Next Monday, we'll see where the NY Rangers are. I read that pretty much everyone will be skating and/or playing by Friday, which means trade bait.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#219 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:42 am

Rangers drop one to the Montreal Canadians. Staal and Buchnevich were back. Nash and Grabner were healthy scratches. Mcdonagh still injured.

Rookie goaltender Georgiev had a decent debut, stopping 40 shots but letting in 3 goals.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#220 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:59 am

Woah a trade with the Devils. We pick up a second and Rykov a defensive prospect. He’s been making his way up the ranks for the Devils, a former Buchnevich teammate as well if I looked it up correctly.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks