ImageImageImageImageImage

NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

SpikJagger
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#121 » by SpikJagger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Synciere wrote:but players saw Blatt clearly was ill prepared to deal with Lebron. In a league in which you have to have stars to win, your coach has to be able to demand respect, even from the worlds best player.

I mean, do people not feel the same way about Lue though? Maybe he doesn't have that reputation because he's an explayer and is "lebrons boy".

I've literally seen Lue sit in the bench and stare mindlessly while Lebron is in the huddle coaching the guys. Isn't he always seen overriding Lue? Haven't they had their fare share of on court arguing?

I mean, Lue has Brons respect for obv. reasons but that doesn't hold Bron back from treating his boy like an assistant coach at time while LeCoach takes the helm.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#122 » by Sark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:17 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Sark wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
With what Saint Johns has done this season Chris Mullen's name has to be in the hat as well...

Why? Because he's a known name?

Because he is a college coach in the area who is having some success (beating Duke and Villanova recently), it also helps that he is a known name and a local product himself.

He is 13-13 and 2-11 in conference. A few good wins doesn't inspire me to the point that I think he should be Knicks head coach.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#123 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 pm

SpikJagger wrote:
Synciere wrote:but players saw Blatt clearly was ill prepared to deal with Lebron. In a league in which you have to have stars to win, your coach has to be able to demand respect, even from the worlds best player.

I mean, do people not feel the same way about Lue though? Maybe he doesn't have that reputation because he's an explayer and is "lebrons boy".

I've literally seen Lue sit in the bench and stare mindlessly while Lebron is in the huddle coaching the guys. Isn't he always seen overriding Lue? Haven't they had their fare share of on court arguing?

I mean, Lue has Brons respect for obv. reasons but that doesn't hold Bron back from treating his boy like an assistant coach at time while LeCoach takes the helm.

The only coach who didn't put up with LeBron's ego was Spo, and that's because he had Riley backing him. Lue is a horrible coach and the only reason he's still there is because he's a "yes man" to LeBron.

The Cavs initially signed Blatt to coach a young group of players that was set to include Irving and Wiggins. Instead, he got LeBron, which is obviously great because you're going to the finals, but it also is terrible because it removes you from coach essentially. He could demand respect from LeBron all he wanted, but it wasn't going to do anything. Putting him on a team like the Knicks with KP, a lotto pick this year, and hopefully another one next year will be a perfect fit for someone like Blatt - the guy I feel like we should have signed instead of Jeff.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#124 » by Synciere » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
SpikJagger wrote:

The only coach who didn't put up with LeBron's ego was Spo, and that's because he had Riley backing him. Lue is a horrible coach and the only reason he's still there is because he's a "yes man" to LeBron.

The Cavs initially signed Blatt to coach a young group of players that was set to include Irving and Wiggins. Instead, he got LeBron, which is obviously great because you're going to the finals, but it also is terrible because it removes you from coach essentially. He could demand respect from LeBron all he wanted, but it wasn't going to do anything. Putting him on a team like the Knicks with KP, a lotto pick this year, and hopefully another one next year will be a perfect fit for someone like Blatt - the guy I feel like we should have signed instead of Jeff.

Where do you guys get this stuff? The reason Lue was hired was because he had the ability to tell Lebron to shut the f*** up when he was hired. He had Lebrons respect. You're making a lot of excuses for Blatt's inability to earn the respect of the team and Lebron. Whatever the reason, it didn't happen. There are multiple reports of Lue having the team's and Lebron's respect when he was hired. I don't want a coach just for this young team. I want a coach who can handle both the younguns and veterans whom we may sign to better in two years. I want to kill this cycle of hiring coaches for 2 years and then replacing. You can't build a culture that way.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#125 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 pm

SpikJagger wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I think Blatt is a good coach, but I really wonder about the impact of perception. I mean, part of leading is reputation.

I think the perception around both Lebron and the Cavs has changed drastically this season though. I think people (fans, players, executives alike) always doubted the Blatt firing. Now with this dysfunctional Cavaliers season it's become more and more apparent that Blatt def. did get a "raw deal" and that there's been issues with the franchise as a whole, that don't nec reflect on the coach.

Everything from Kyrie to the Griffin firing to the Billups rejection to Lue losing the lockeroom to all the losses this season. Even all the controversy with Gilbert and Lebron. Cavs made it very apparent that being a winning franchise and a dysfunctional one aren't mutually exclusive.

If anything this season has alleviated Blatts perception and reputation. If anything i think people are looking at the Cavs and specifically Lue with a negative perception as of late. Lue has been a laughing stock as of late around the league among scouts and executives with those lineups and lack of effort his players have been giving him.

Blatt will be fine and his rep is fine. The only thing i'm worried about are reports that he wasn't familiar with all NBA players (didn't know their names, needed to rely strictly on scouting reports, etc.)

I think this is a good point; this season by the Cavs helps Blatt out a lot.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#126 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Synciere wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
SpikJagger wrote:

Where do you guys get this stuff? The reason Lue was hired was because he had the ability to tell Lebron to shut the f*** up when he was hired. He had Lebrons respect. You're making a lot of excuses for Blatt's inability to earn the respect of the team and Lebron. Whatever the reason, it didn't happen. There are multiple reports of Lue having the team's and Lebron's respect when he was hired. I don't want a coach just for this young team. I want a coach who can handle both the younguns and veterans whom we may sign to better in two years. I want to kill this cycle of hiring coaches for 2 years and then replacing. You can't build a culture that way.

Reports, watching games/analysis, etc. It’s the truth. LeBron has been running over Lue for a while now. Blatt is an actual coach and would be great for a young team like ours. You disagree, that’s fine. IMO (based off watching games/analysis, reading a lot, reading Cavs fans opinions, etc, Lue really is nothing more than a “yes man,” unlike Blatt who actually coaches.
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#127 » by Synciere » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:54 pm

SpikJagger wrote:

Yeah I think most players feel Lue has earned respect. Part of it is probably that he was a player. Part of it is that he had the backing of guys like Shaq and Kobe and Larry Brown. Part of it is that he was an assistant for some years. Whatever the reason, Lue was the guy they went to when they fired Blatt, and he was on the bench when they won the chip! If that doesn't earn him more respect now than David Blatt................

I've seen him let Lebron take over on the bench and I've seen him take over from Lebron, by force when he's needed to. Handling a guy like Lebron probably requires that balancing act, an act, again, that Blatt failed miserably at.
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#128 » by Synciere » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Synciere wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Reports, watching games/analysis, etc. It’s the truth. LeBron has been running over Lue for a while now. Blatt is an actual coach and would be great for a young team like ours. You disagree, that’s fine. IMO (based off watching games/analysis, reading a lot, reading Cavs fans opinions, etc, Lue really is nothing more than a “yes man,” unlike Blatt who actually coaches.

Blatt sat there, drew up plays and game plans, and when Lebron disagreed, erased his board and started again. At times Lebron didn't even have to say anything. He'd just look away or look at him the way I do when I want my son to stop acting out and don't want to spaz on him. Blatt was the epitome of a yes man, and I could easily see that reputation causing Star and superstar players to disrespect him off rip. I've watched all those games and read all those articles and spoken to all of those fans, especially since during that time I lived in Ohio, and it's clear to me that Lue managed to straddle that fence of better than Blatt. I don't want to hire a coach just for the young ones or just for veterans. I want a coach well versed in the league as it is today with the gravitas to handle all of the trappings, especially in a harsh NY market.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#129 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Synciere wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Synciere wrote:

Blatt sat there, drew up plays and game plans, and when Lebron disagreed, erased his board and started again. At times Lebron didn't even have to say anything. He'd just look away or look at him the way I do when I want my son to stop acting out and don't want to spaz on him. Blatt was the epitome of a yes man, and I could easily see that reputation causing Star and superstar players to disrespect him off rip. I've watched all those games and read all those articles and spoken to all of those fans, especially since during that time I lived in Ohio, and it's clear to me that Lue managed to straddle that fence of better than Blatt. I don't want to hire a coach just for the young ones or just for veterans. I want a coach well versed in the league as it is today with the gravitas to handle all of the trappings, especially in a harsh NY market.

K. I find it interesting you saw this and also that Jackson isn’t that bad (lol), but to each his own. Enjoy your day.
SpikJagger
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#130 » by SpikJagger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Would anyone want to hire Lue for this team if for some reason Lebron leaves this season and Koby Altman goes a different direction?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,899

Post#131 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:13 am

Sark wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Sark wrote:

Why? Because he's a known name?

Because he is a college coach in the area who is having some success (beating Duke and Villanova recently), it also helps that he is a known name and a local product himself.

He is 13-13 and 2-11 in conference. A few good wins doesn't inspire me to the point that I think he should be Knicks head coach.

He is just starting to get a team he put together out there. Building a program takes time.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#132 » by Sark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Sark wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

He is just starting to get a team he put together out there. Building a program takes time.

2 wins doesn't mean he's ready to take over as coach of the Knicks. We'd be hiring him based off name alone. Star fcking to the max.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,899

Post#133 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 am

Sark wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Sark wrote:

2 wins doesn't mean he's ready to take over as coach of the Knicks. We'd be hiring him based off name alone. Star fcking to the max.

It's more than wins, but we will re-visit this idea in March. Let's see how they finish the season.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
iCallBankshot
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#134 » by iCallBankshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 am

Newyorknick94 wrote:
Shemy wrote:any brad stevens type dudes in College??

We need to copy everything Boston does

I would love to know if anyone has a college coaches scouting report
iCallBankshot
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#135 » by iCallBankshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 am

CharlesOakley wrote:We need an actual development coach. High draft picks isn't worth a thing if we can't get the young guys playing right. The right way to tank is to play the youngsters, give them a proper system on offense and defense and let the results land where they may. We don't have the talent to not suck. I feel like sucking next season is guaranteed. Player development is not guaranteed, which is why we need a new coach.

That was Brett Brown!
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,292

Post#136 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:59 am

The Knicks aren't looking for a coach right now. There are no candidates.
:beer: RIP mags
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#137 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 am

SpikJagger wrote:Would anyone want to hire Lue for this team if for some reason Lebron leaves this season and Koby Altman goes a different direction?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Lue is awful.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#138 » by BasicBall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 am

David Fizdale
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,126

Post#139 » by bleedblue3303 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Mark Few!
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#140 » by Spot31 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 am

Jerry Sloan
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4

Return to New York Knicks