Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Cheesin
Freshman
And1: 84

Troy Brown 

Post#1 » by Cheesin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm

What's your guys thoughts on him?

If he can become more consistent with his 3 I fee like he could be a solid 3 d guy...isn't the best athlete for a wing but has really good footwork and feel for the game imo
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,078

Re: Troy Brown 

Post#2 » by The-Power » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:42 pm

I doubt he will ever be a really good 3&D guy because if his pans out, you'll want to have him more in an on-ball role (not primary or even secondary, but clearly someone who gets touches on offense). His versatility is actually what makes him intriguing and that's usually the opposite of why 3&D players are appealing (they are very limited but can shoot and defend, so they can find a role anywhere).

Brown can handle the ball a bit, he has good vision, good passing skills, some craftiness around the rim, moves off the ball, rebounds and defends the passing lanes well, and could become a decent shooter. What limits him is the lack of acceleration (both for getting into the lane and defending athletic guards/wings) and the absence of an elite skill might make it harder for him to immediately find a role on an NBA team. But he's still very young, so there's lots of time for him to establish himself.

In a best case scenario, he could become a less athletic version of Jimmy Butler – which would probably be a borderline All-Star. But a lot of Butler's game is also about mentality, and while I do like Brown's personality and leadership from what I have seen, it remains to be seen if he has the fire to reach his potential. The worst case scenario would be something like current Igoudala: a player who cannot really create for himself anymore and doesn't really look to shoot it while not being able to hang with every offensive player anymore but someone who has value off the bench with his high basketball IQ, knowing his role and bringing some defensive flexibility.

I hope he can improve and become a great player as he remains one of my favorite players in the draft. I just like smart and versatile players who approach basketball – the game, the team, the media – the right way. I'm not entirely sure what to expect of him at the next level but I'd probably still take him in the late lottery if he declares. But one part of me hopes that he returns to Oregon and shoots for the title in a leading role next year.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Post#3 » by eminence » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:49 pm

I like him a lot. Think he has plenty of potential as a secondary ballhandler from the wing, defense seems passable at worst. Smaller Kyle Anderson? Late lotto - mid first seems like a reasonable range. In the 8-11 range on my personal list.
I bought a boat.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:06 pm

The-Power wrote:I doubt he will ever be a really good 3&D guy because if his pans out, you'll want to have him more in an on-ball role (not primary or even secondary, but clearly someone who gets touches on offense). His versatility is actually what makes him intriguing and that's usually the opposite of why 3&D players are appealing (they are very limited but can shoot and defend, so they can find a role anywhere).

Brown can handle the ball a bit, he has good vision, good passing skills, some craftiness around the rim, moves off the ball, rebounds and defends the passing lanes well, and could become a decent shooter. What limits him is the lack of acceleration (both for getting into the lane and defending athletic guards/wings) and the absence of an elite skill might make it harder for him to immediately find a role on an NBA team. But he's still very young, so there's lots of time for him to establish himself.

In a best case scenario, he could become a less athletic version of Jimmy Butler – which would probably be a borderline All-Star. But a lot of Butler's game is also about mentality, and while I do like Brown's personality and leadership from what I have seen, it remains to be seen if he has the fire to reach his potential. The worst case scenario would be something like current Igoudala: a player who cannot really create for himself anymore and doesn't really look to shoot it while not being able to hang with every offensive player anymore but someone who has value off the bench with his high basketball IQ, knowing his role and bringing some defensive flexibility.

I hope he can improve and become a great player as he remains one of my favorite players in the draft. I just like smart and versatile players who approach basketball – the game, the team, the media – the right way. I'm not entirely sure what to expect of him at the next level but I'd probably still take him in the late lottery if he declares. But one part of me hopes that he returns to Oregon and shoots for the title in a leading role next year.

I’m so tired of people saying he’s not athletic. He definitely is and he’s actually just as athletic as Jimmy Butler in terms of verticality, if not more. He’s just not as quick as Jimmy. Part of why he’s so good a rebounding is his vertical leap. He does some really tough things around the rim only someone with his vertical can do. You’ll see at the combine when he tests.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#5 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm

I see an almost carbon copy Evan Turner in my limited viewing. Even his stats are Turner like. Most people see that as a negative comp, but Turner was the 2nd overall pick and his play earned him a massive contract.

Hopefully he develops a jumper in the league. Teams like Atlanta could get the most out of his potential. They surely need a guy of his skillset.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#6 » by The-Power » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I’m so tired of people saying he’s not athletic. He definitely is and he’s actually just as athletic as Jimmy Butler in terms of verticality, if not more. He’s just not as quick as Jimmy. Part of why he’s so good a rebounding is his vertical leap. He does some really tough things around the rim only someone with his vertical can do. You’ll see at the combine when he tests.

I wrote that he lacks great acceleration (compared to some other elite wing players) and I believe this to be very true. I never claimed that he's not athletic, did I?

To say that he's less athletic than Butler isn't actually something offending. Butler is a freak athlete with an incredibly quick first step – he just doesn't rely on it as often or, rather, as prominently as some other players. I do believe Brown's relatively pedestrian acceleration will limit the pressure he can put on defenses and limit the leverage he can use for his playmaking and at-the-rim scoring – but I don't believe that Brown isn't athletic, that's just not true.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#7 » by Catchall » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 am

I'm curious to see how he measures. I think his strengths and weaknesses make him somewhat comparable to Harrison Barnes, potentially a big wing with even a few minutes at the 4.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
The-Power
General Manager

Post#8 » by The-Power » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:44 am

Catchall wrote:I'm curious to see how he measures. I think his strengths and weaknesses make him somewhat comparable to Harrison Barnes, potentially a big wing with even a few minutes at the 4.

Brown has a great feel for the game while Barnes hasn't. That truly sets them apart. They are very different players in general, unless you are solely referring to possible height and length. But in this regard, Barnes is bigger and more athletic (even though he never quite figured out how to use it, partly because of his lack of handles and partly because he's lacking functional athleticism in some aspects).
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#9 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 am

The-Power wrote:I doubt he will ever be a really good 3&D guy because if his pans out, you'll want to have him more in an on-ball role (not primary or even secondary, but clearly someone who gets touches on offense). His versatility is actually what makes him intriguing and that's usually the opposite of why 3&D players are appealing (they are very limited but can shoot and defend, so they can find a role anywhere).

How do you feel about a Khris Middleton type comparision? Its not perfect but it kinda fits the mold you outlined.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#10 » by RipCity71252 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:46 am

Biggest difference for me between Brown and Middleton is shot mechanics. Khris has a quicker/cleaner release with more natural lean. Also much more comfortable shooting off balance which allows him to be more effective in tight spaces as a tough shot maker / mid range player.

Different kind of athletes too. Both are slow, but Khris has crisper/more efficient movements whereas Troy is rangier/more flexible. Troy also relies much more on his strength and is more comfortable operating in big spaces.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Post#11 » by eminence » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:20 pm

I don't like the Middleton comp. Everything RipCity said, and Brown is just a far far more natural passer.
I bought a boat.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Middleton couldn’t handle the ball when he came into the league. Even now he pretty much only uses it in small amounts. He uses triple threat more than actually dribbling. Brown has a good handle and he changes direction much better. Brown also gets contact and when Middleton entered the league he would shy away from it, often pulling up for Mid-range jumpers. Middleton is also has a better midrange and post fade. Brown is more crafty and a better finisher around the rim. Brown is a better passer and rebounder than Middleton was, but Middleton was a better shooter. Athletically they are not the same at all. Middleton is much slower and Brown really isn’t that slow. He has Average Speed, while Middleton is slow. In terms of speed he’s similar to TJ Warren, but he explodes and changes directions better. I can’t wait for the combine for this kid so people stop making these bad comparisons.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#13 » by RipCity71252 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:03 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Middleton couldn’t handle the ball when he came into the league. Even now he pretty much only uses it in small amounts. He uses triple threat more than actually dribbling. Brown has a good handle and he changes direction much better. Brown also gets contact and when Middleton entered the league he would shy away from it, often pulling up for Mid-range jumpers. Middleton is also has a better midrange and post fade. Brown is more crafty and a better finisher around the rim. Brown is a better passer and rebounder than Middleton was, but Middleton was a better shooter. Athletically they are not the same at all. Middleton is much slower and Brown really isn’t that slow. He has Average Speed, while Middleton is slow. In terms of speed he’s similar to TJ Warren, but he explodes and changes directions better. I can’t wait for the combine for this kid so people stop making these bad comparisons.

Brown looks pretty athletic in big spaces, but his lack of quickness is going to limit him in the half court I think.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:25 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Middleton couldn’t handle the ball when he came into the league. Even now he pretty much only uses it in small amounts. He uses triple threat more than actually dribbling. Brown has a good handle and he changes direction much better. Brown also gets contact and when Middleton entered the league he would shy away from it, often pulling up for Mid-range jumpers. Middleton is also has a better midrange and post fade. Brown is more crafty and a better finisher around the rim. Brown is a better passer and rebounder than Middleton was, but Middleton was a better shooter. Athletically they are not the same at all. Middleton is much slower and Brown really isn’t that slow. He has Average Speed, while Middleton is slow. In terms of speed he’s similar to TJ Warren, but he explodes and changes directions better. I can’t wait for the combine for this kid so people stop making these bad comparisons.

Brown looks pretty athletic in big spaces, but his lack of quickness is going to limit him in the half court I think.

The thing is he’s not a point guard (even if he wants to be one). He’s not going to have a screen set for him on the perimeter so he can drive to the basket in the NBA. He doesn’t have the kind of speed to push past defenders and I don’t think anyone is expecting that of him. He’s a wing P&R player that will get more open lanes off of secondary drives on a possession and will have to worry more about finishing at the basket (which he has potential at). He’s not someone that will be getting a ton of touches until he can score consistently.
Again, a lot like TJ Warren.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#15 » by Catchall » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:19 am

Nice mix of skills in these highlights. He rebounds, defends, passes, runs the floor, makes an open shot, etc. Good size and physicality for a 2-guard. He can also probably defend up a position or two. Not as athletic and explosive as Jaylen Brown, but he may be a similar caliber prospect given his ball skills and feel for the game.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#16 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:21 am

Catchall wrote:Nice mix of skills in these highlights. He rebounds, defends, passes, runs the floor, makes an open shot, etc. Good size and physicality for a 2-guard. He can also probably defend up a position or two. Not as athletic and explosive as Jaylen Brown, but he may be a similar caliber prospect given his ball skills and feel for the game.

Wasnt feel for the game a knock against Jaylen Brown?
Catchall
RealGM

Post#17 » by Catchall » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Catchall wrote:Nice mix of skills in these highlights. He rebounds, defends, passes, runs the floor, makes an open shot, etc. Good size and physicality for a 2-guard. He can also probably defend up a position or two. Not as athletic and explosive as Jaylen Brown, but he may be a similar caliber prospect given his ball skills and feel for the game.

Wasnt feel for the game a knock against Jaylen Brown?

It shouldn't be. He has some decent PG skills on the ball. He's not you're starting PG, but as a secondary initiator he looks solid. He's looked much better in his last few games compared to the start of the season.

Compare what he's doing as a freshman to what Mikal Bridges did as a freshman and sophomore, and you'd conclude that Brown is in that tier as a prospect.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 5, 2018 5:37 pm

Reminds me of Caris LeVert with a little Paul Pierce mixed in. Even Paul George minus the freak athleticism.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#19 » by dukes_wild » Mon Mar 5, 2018 5:50 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Reminds me of Caris LeVert with a little Paul Pierce mixed in. Even Paul George minus the freak athleticism.

Yep Caris LeVert is the best comp for him imo.

I love Troy Brown. He's been one of my most intriguing college players this year. Very good all around prospect. Might never be a master at anything, but a jack of all trades, very similar to Caris LeVert in that sense
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 5, 2018 7:07 pm

Top 10 prospect.

Return to NBA Draft