ImageImageImageImageImage

The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Re: The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition 

Post#201 » by GEOLINK » Thu Mar 8, 2018 6:11 am

PorzinGAWD wrote:
Mecca wrote:LOL I really was a Burke-stan in Michigan. I wanted him so bad that draft. Good thing we didn't make my proposed trade. Found my old post in 2013 smh lol.

Its crazy to look back and realize the trash the knicks put around Melo in his prime :banghead:

Only if we didn't trade our entire roster to get him and players wanted to come play with him here...
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,262

Post#202 » by DOT » Thu Mar 8, 2018 11:28 am

GEOLINK wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:
Mecca wrote:LOL I really was a Burke-stan in Michigan. I wanted him so bad that draft. Good thing we didn't make my proposed trade. Found my old post in 2013 smh lol.

Its crazy to look back and realize the trash the knicks put around Melo in his prime :banghead:

Only if we didn't trade our entire roster to get him and players wanted to come play with him here...

Was just talking about this in another thread

While trading for Melo definitely hurt our chances, us signing Amare was by far the bigger reason we couldn't do anything with Melo
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#203 » by WargamesX » Thu Mar 8, 2018 1:18 pm

K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:

While trading for Melo definitely hurt our chances, us signing Amare was by far the bigger reason we couldn't do anything with Melo

Not to mention wasting the Amnesty on Billups when they didn't need to pick up his option to get Tyson Chandler. That more than anything ruined the knicks chances to make add a legit piece
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by DOT » Thu Mar 8, 2018 1:53 pm

PorzinGAWD wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Only if we didn't trade our entire roster to get him and players wanted to come play with him here...

Not to mention wasting the Amnesty on Billups when they didn't need to pick up his option to get Tyson Chandler. That more than anything ruined the knicks chances to make add a legit piece

It's one of those things where everybody made several mistakes. Trading for Melo was definitely one of them, but it wasn't the only reason

Just think, we don't trade for Melo or sign Amare, so we win less games in 2011. We then pick 9th instead of 17th (according to win shares, Amare and Melo gave us 11 wins, but I say we still win like 33 without them), and pick Kemba cause we need a PG, then sign Melo in free agency, and we still have enough left to sign Tyson or someone else if we want cause we don't trade for Chauncey's contract. And we still have Gallo/Chandler/Fields to trade for better fitting pieces (or keep them, depending on how we feel) and all our draft picks if it doesn't work out
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#205 » by NYKAL » Thu Mar 8, 2018 2:55 pm

PorzinGAWD wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Only if we didn't trade our entire roster to get him and players wanted to come play with him here...

amnestying Billups to me was the biggest error. How long did we go without a decent point guard.....oh wait. we are still without one.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#206 » by GEOLINK » Thu Mar 8, 2018 3:00 pm

Billups was damaged goods by that point. He didn't even want to get traded away from Denver.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#207 » by dakomish23 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 3:16 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:

- Pretty sure we’d have to waive WC to get the cap space to sign him outright
- We got back Felton a year later
- We had cap space one year as a playoff team. ONE. We signed a top FA. Why did we only have cap space one year? Oh yeah, we opted in to Billups only to use the amnesty that should of been used on Amare.

The excuses made to blame Melo instead of this franchise are still hilarious.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#208 » by dakomish23 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 3:19 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
malik959 wrote:Man you guys kill me, you want to tank but on the other hand you want the best player on the floor :dontknow: . I really like Burke and can see him beating out Mudiay for starting guard Next year. Maybe even Frank with THJ and Mikal Bridges :lift: , man that would be awsome. Having Frank, Bridges, and KP as our defenders would make us one of the top defenses in the league. Frank can climb over that rookie wall and really show his defensive skills with some added muscle.

I'd really like to see Frank with Mikal Bridges.

I could do without the THJr part though.

Who’s going to take him? DET?

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#209 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Mar 8, 2018 3:41 pm

K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:

You realize no Amar'e no Melo, right? There was no way Melo was fighting to come here to be by himself. The idea was supposed to be James/Bosh and then get Amar'e by trade. The superfriends teamed up and no one wanted NYC money so they settled on amar'e to make it look like they were still a destination. That was enough to get Melo interested with the idea that Paul would follow. (The wedding toast.) Paul didn't follow and they picked up Chandler instead in a very awkwardedly timed deal.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,307

Post#210 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Mar 8, 2018 6:25 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
malik959 wrote:Man you guys kill me, you want to tank but on the other hand you want the best player on the floor :dontknow: . I really like Burke and can see him beating out Mudiay for starting guard Next year. Maybe even Frank with THJ and Mikal Bridges :lift: , man that would be awsome. Having Frank, Bridges, and KP as our defenders would make us one of the top defenses in the league. Frank can climb over that rookie wall and really show his defensive skills with some added muscle.

I'd really like to see Frank with Mikal Bridges.

I could do without the THJr part though.

Who’s going to take him? DET?

Nobody. Knicks stuck with his non defense ass for 3 more full seasons.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by DOT » Thu Mar 8, 2018 6:36 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

You realize no Amar'e no Melo, right? There was no way Melo was fighting to come here to be by himself. The idea was supposed to be James/Bosh and then get Amar'e by trade. The superfriends teamed up and no one wanted NYC money so they settled on amar'e to make it look like they were still a destination. That was enough to get Melo interested with the idea that Paul would follow. (The wedding toast.) Paul didn't follow and they picked up Chandler instead in a very awkwardedly timed deal.

And?

I'm saying signing Amare and trading for Melo both hamstrung us in terms of putting a competitive team around him. Do you disagree?
Whether or not Melo would've come here without Amare doesn't matter to my argument. So what's our options, sign Amare and trade for Melo like we did, or don't sign Amare or trade for Melo, so Melo won't come here but we keep our cap space free and retain our picks. I think it's obvious that the 2nd choice is better, given the outcome of the first one
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#212 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Mar 8, 2018 6:37 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:

- We had cap space one year as a playoff team. ONE. We signed a top FA. Why did we only have cap space one year? Oh yeah, we opted in to Billups only to use the amnesty that should of been used on Amare.

The lack of blame for Melo on the situation is RIDICULOUS.
:beer: RIP mags
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#213 » by dakomish23 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 6:42 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

The typical bandwagon blame everything on Melo is PITIFUL

You don’t like how it turned out? Blame the front office for once instead of caping for this garbage franchise

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#214 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:06 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

You don’t like how it turned out? Blame the front office for once instead of caping for this garbage franchise

First of all...I blame Melo for what Melo does/did and the FO for what they did. Always.

Too bad some Knicks fans care more about Melo than the team to do the same. If you think Me7o cared about anything more than top dollar and top dog here you're mistaken. His actions prove that. His actions cost us players/assets/coaches that compounded the FO mistakes and somewhat handcuffed the team.

It goes BOTH ways. Melo is gone. The FO has churned over 4 times since that trade. The HC...5 times. The roster...continuously. Why does this board have to re-hash this "discussion" over and over with half blaming Melo and half blaming the FO and almost no one placing blame where it belongs? Both sides were wrong.

Put it this way. The team made mistakes. Melo made selfish demands. Both hurt the team multiple times. The end. Move on.

Let's not forget...Me7o forced the trade for money...Not to play for the Knicks. He stayed for money. Not caring about how we could build a team around him.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#215 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:07 pm

K-DOT wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Was just talking about this in another thread

And?

I'm saying signing Amare and trading for Melo both hamstrung us in terms of putting a competitive team around him. Do you disagree?
Whether or not Melo would've come here without Amare doesn't matter to my argument. So what's our options, sign Amare and trade for Melo like we did, or don't sign Amare or trade for Melo, so Melo won't come here but we keep our cap space free and retain our picks. I think it's obvious that the 2nd choice is better, given the outcome of the first one

Well, it's difficult to hamstring Melo with Amare if Melo doesn't come here without Amar'e. It's a chicken and egg thing. You needed Amar'e to get Melo to NY.

So signing Amar'e wasn't the biggest reason we couldn't do anything with Melo. Not amnestying him and not opting out on Billups when we had the chance were far bigger reasons. We would have had the money for a chance at Paul or other options.

And let's not pretend that in 2010 the Knicks regime was prepared to be irrelevant. That wasn't happening.

I think it is very important to note that it was clear that cap space was useless in new York so it wouldn't necessarily be important or better to have it. And as for picks. That doesn't guarantee competitiveness. See us now. You can't use hindsight against a speculative future. It isn't reasonable. There are too many variables in free agency and the draft.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#216 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:18 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

And?

Well, it's difficult to hamstring Melo with Amare if Melo doesn't come here without Amar'e. It's a chicken and egg thing. You needed Amar'e to get Melo to NY.

So signing Amar'e wasn't the biggest reason we couldn't do anything with Melo. Not amnestying him and not opting out on Billups when we had the chance were far bigger reasons. We would have had the money for a chance at Paul or other options.

And let's not pretend that in 2010 the Knicks regime was prepared to be irrelevant. That wasn't happening.

I think it is very important to note that it was clear that cap space was useless in new York so it wouldn't necessarily be important or better to have it. And as for picks. That doesn't guarantee competitiveness. See us now. You can't use hindsight against a speculative future. It isn't reasonable. There are too many variables in free agency and the draft.

The myth that no Amar'e no Me7o can be shut down. Me7o would have gone to Brooklyn. Said so in his own words.

He came for the money. If he wanted to play with Amar'e...and win in NY...he wouldn't have forced the team to meet the Nuggets demands to keep him out of Brooklyn...just so he could get a max extension before the CBA expired. THAT'S the domino that he brought to the mess.

It wasn't to play with Amar'e. It was to get out of Denver while securing that max extension before the CBA expired. End of story.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#217 » by dakomish23 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:24 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

First of all...I blame Melo for what Melo does/did and the FO for what they did. Always.

Too bad some Knicks fans care more about Melo than the team to do the same. If you think Me7o cared about anything more than top dollar and top dog here you're mistaken. His actions prove that. His actions cost us players/assets/coaches that compounded the FO mistakes and somewhat handcuffed the team.

It goes BOTH ways. Melo is gone. The FO has churned over 4 times since that trade. The HC...5 times. The roster...continuously. Why does this board have to re-hash this "discussion" over and over with half blaming Melo and half blaming the FO and almost no one placing blame where it belongs? Both sides were wrong.

Put it this way. The team made mistakes. Melo made selfish demands. Both hurt the team multiple times. The end. Move on.

Let's not forget...Me7o forced the trade for money...Not to play for the Knicks. He stayed for money. Not caring about how we could build a team around him.

True or false - we got Felton back
True or false - we would of had to waive WC to sign Melo
True or false - the so called amazing wing players we sent out have missed over 400+ games combined during Melo’s tenure here
True or false - we had cap space one year as a playoff team
True or false - we signed a top FA that year
True or false - we used the amnesty instead of opting out on Billups
True or false - we used our one asset left on one of the biggest busts in recent NBA history

This has nothing to do with putting Melo over the team. It has everything to do with Knicks fans who continue to defend this garbage organization despite their many many MANY failures and refuse to accept their fault in this situation.

Same garbage excuses every time. “No one wanted to play with him”. Really? We had cap space when we were good???!!

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#218 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:35 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

True or false - the so called amazing wing players we sent out have missed over 400+ games combined during Melo’s tenure here
True or false - we used our one asset left on one of the biggest busts in recent NBA history

This has nothing to do with putting Melo over the team. It has everything to do with Knicks fans who continue to defend this garbage organization despite their many many MANY failures and refuse to accept their fault in this situation.

Same garbage excuses every time. “No one wanted to play with him”. Really? We had cap space when we were good???!!

More blah blah blah? The dude forced his way out of Denver. In doing that...he also caused a bidding war that hurt the team. Why? To get his max extension. Not to play with Amar'e or for this team. That cost this team a lot and helped compound the mistakes of the front office. Period. He gets blamed for HIS actions. The FO gets blamed for their actions.

I don't see that anywhere in your blah blah blah.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#219 » by dakomish23 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:38 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

More blah blah blah? The dude forced his way out of Denver. In doing that...he also caused a bidding war that hurt the team. Why? To get his max extension. Not to play with Amar'e or for this team. That cost this team a lot and helped compound the mistakes of the front office. Period. He gets blamed for HIS actions. The FO gets blamed for their actions.

I don't see that anywhere in your blah blah blah.

Exactly what I thought. I present facts and your response is to blame the PLAYER for the decisions of the FRANCHISE.

Did I miss when Melo was working in the FO to make the Knicks trade for him??

Knicks can never do any wrong.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#220 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:43 pm

K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:

This is blatantly obvious to anyone with even a semi-functioning brain. Name the last team to win a title with a third of their cap giving them practically nothing... I'll wait :lol: it's amazing we even got to the 2nd seed in that scenario and a shot at the conference finals. Shows how good Melo actually was in his prime...

Return to New York Knicks