ImageImageImageImageImage

OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Re: OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies? 

Post#1241 » by FlashFlood » Tue Mar 6, 2018 11:39 pm

Any resources you guys recommend for someone trying to get into crypto currencies?
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#1242 » by ITGM » Wed Mar 7, 2018 12:10 am

FlashFlood wrote:Any resources you guys recommend for someone trying to get into crypto currencies?

This dude has been my go-to resource since December. He even provides materials on Fibonacci Retracement. I suggest you go thru his earlier videos that teach you how to read crypto charts on Trading View.

Naeem should give me a lifetime free membership to his discord community for endorsing his channel on here.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#1243 » by earthmansurfer » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:32 am

EnigmatiC wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:Hey guys, don't worry. I think we are seeing a coming dip for the continued move up. I don't see us going lower than 8k, maybe not even there. And, I don't think this will be drawn out. We are heading up after this, too much build up imo. (Barring anything huge in the world.)

damn you think we'll go that low? that 11.7k resistance is a motherf*cker

I think 9k ish holds. I am NOT trading this and haven‘t in a while, so not advice. But those newer to crypto might be ******* a brick...
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#1244 » by NY2TheBay » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:41 am

ITGM wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:Any resources you guys recommend for someone trying to get into crypto currencies?

This dude has been my go-to resource since December. He even provides materials on Fibonacci Retracement. I suggest you go thru his earlier videos that teach you how to read crypto charts on Trading View.

Naeem should give me a lifetime free membership to his discord community for endorsing his channel on here.

I gave an endorsement to my guy at FUD TV on here, he had like 300 subscribers at the time. Saw him BLOW THE F UP after I made my post about him. All good, I dont have a problem shouting out those that are in the know and put out good content. But ITGEM, my dude, I feel you. Looking for my dividends :lol: .
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#1245 » by ITGM » Wed Mar 7, 2018 12:01 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:But ITGEM, my dude, I feel you. Looking for my dividends :lol: .

Facts!
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,453

Post#1246 » by EnigmatiC » Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:23 pm

well this escalated quickly
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Post#1247 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:28 pm

I think I read something yesterday where someone was selling a multi-million dollar home but only for bitcoin.
Free Palestine
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#1248 » by Bill Pidto » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:27 pm

This is a great thread.

Would love to see you guys list your top 5 alt coins to buy right now. I’ve had some money in BTC, ETH, and now LTC.. but still yet to buy any alt coins and I’d like to get in on this dip.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1249 » by robillionaire » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:05 pm

Well, I finally finished accumulating, I’m all in EOS
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#1250 » by CharlesOakley » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:44 pm

ITGM wrote:

Fib retracements have been employed with no statistical edge for decades in all kinds of markets. It is one of the most popular "indicators" for amateur traders. I would be wary of anyone that pushes them as giving an edge. Using them as a filter is fine, using them as an indicator isn't.

Most people who use fib also include 50% retracements in their fib calculations. 50% cannot be calculated from the Fibonacci series.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#1251 » by cuyankees » Wed Mar 7, 2018 10:45 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:
ITGM wrote:

Fib retracements have been employed with no statistical edge for decades in all kinds of markets. It is one of the most popular "indicators" for amateur traders. I would be wary of anyone that pushes them as giving an edge. Using them as a filter is fine, using them as an indicator isn't.

Most people who use fib also include 50% retracements in their fib calculations. 50% cannot be calculated from the Fibonacci series.

Irony: someone posting about a trusted source relying on Fib calculations in a thread about Crypto “investing”.

Crypto and their creations, ICOs, are the biggest scams known to man. However, like any asset bubble, ride the wave and make $ until musical chairs ends ala housing bubble and every asset bubble that corrected after irrational “investing”.
Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,719

Post#1252 » by Handledatruth » Wed Mar 7, 2018 11:34 pm

cuyankees wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:
ITGM wrote:

Irony: someone posting about a trusted source relying on Fib calculations in a thread about Crypto “investing”.

Crypto and their creations, ICOs, are the biggest scams known to man. However, like any asset bubble, ride the wave and make $ until musical chairs ends ala housing bubble and every asset bubble that corrected after irrational “investing”.

Blockchain has real momentum in the technology realm and you should look at these ICOs as if you were looking at ".coms" in the late 90s. That wave you mention riding might end up being Google (or not), but to just chalk it all up as a scam is equally misinformed.
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#1253 » by cuyankees » Thu Mar 8, 2018 12:17 am

Handledatruth wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:

Blockchain has real momentum in the technology realm and you should look at these ICOs as if you were looking at ".coms" in the late 90s. That wave you mention riding might end up being Google (or not), but to just chalk it all up as a scam is equally misinformed.

You’re tying a technological concept (blockchain) to a form of currency and “investing” in crypto currency doesn’t correlate to the uptake in adoption of blockchain. Common fallacy with these cryptocurrencies simply bc cryptocurrencies are based on blockchain.

And as for your reference, ICOs are different than .coms bc as least with the .coms, you were acquiring equity/ownership stakes in the actual .coms where as ICOs offer no equity/ownership, it’s an agreement to provide a derivative crypto currency, despite claims that it’s disrupting the early stage VC markets. When you buy into an ICO, you’re buying into a another crypto currency, not the company, not the technology (blockchain). Explain how that isn’t a scam/pyramid scheme.
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,453

Post#1254 » by EnigmatiC » Thu Mar 8, 2018 1:20 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/82ryay/ive_mapped_the_exact_time_when_money_was/?st=jehtlexa&sh=f66ed548

Must read thread for the crypto-heads in here. If you aren't caught up on the news a Mt. Gox trustee has been selling off a CRAZY amount of bitcoin to payback creditors and users since Dec 17 (the date BTC was at an all-time high). Someone mapped out when these BTC were sold and how many were sold. Bad news this guy still has 160,000+ BTC to sell.

They look like they were sold at classic support levels thus allowing BTC to break through and dump more.
Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,719

Post#1255 » by Handledatruth » Thu Mar 8, 2018 2:29 am

cuyankees wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Irony: someone posting about a trusted source relying on Fib calculations in a thread about Crypto “investing”.

You’re tying a technological concept (blockchain) to a form of currency and “investing” in crypto currency doesn’t correlate to the uptake in adoption of blockchain. Common fallacy with these cryptocurrencies simply bc cryptocurrencies are based on blockchain.

And as for your reference, ICOs are different than .coms bc as least with the .coms, you were acquiring equity/ownership stakes in the actual .coms where as ICOs offer no equity/ownership, it’s an agreement to provide a derivative crypto currency, despite claims that it’s disrupting the early stage VC markets. When you buy into an ICO, you’re buying into a another crypto currency, not the company, not the technology (blockchain). Explain how that isn’t a scam/pyramid scheme.

Your questions on how to set an actual value on a "coin" are no different from questions asked by people who bought into .coms with no idea on how they could be monetized. So regardless of whether you are getting stocks that eventually are going to tank or eth coins that could potentially tank as well, you are taking the same leap. Putting aside Bitcoin that is actually designed to replace fiat currency, the future adoption of the other blockchain technologies will play a huge role in what your "coin" is worth and many will end up being worthless. However, there will be some googles or yahoos that stick and whoever owns some of those coins will be the true winners. Are these investments gambles? Hell yah they are, but let's not paint everything as a scam. Especially with the transparency provided by a decentralized blockchain. At least these blockchains are pretty much an open ledger. Name me a pyramid scheme or scam with an open ledger.

*side note* that being said feel free to go in on centralized blockchains. I can't defend those :lol:
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#1256 » by digitaldropoff » Thu Mar 8, 2018 3:41 am

I've never heard of a pyramid scheme that gave me the ability to purchase items I don't normally have access to that I really enjoy. :D
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#1257 » by NY2TheBay » Thu Mar 8, 2018 5:22 am

Bill Pidto wrote:This is a great thread.

Would love to see you guys list your top 5 alt coins to buy right now. I’ve had some money in BTC, ETH, and now LTC.. but still yet to buy any alt coins and I’d like to get in on this dip.

BP.

Hit me with a PM.
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#1258 » by cuyankees » Thu Mar 8, 2018 6:56 pm

Handledatruth wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

Your questions on how to set an actual value on a "coin" are no different from questions asked by people who bought into .coms with no idea on how they could be monetized. So regardless of whether you are getting stocks that eventually are going to tank or eth coins that could potentially tank as well, you are taking the same leap. Putting aside Bitcoin that is actually designed to replace fiat currency, the future adoption of the other blockchain technologies will play a huge role in what your "coin" is worth and many will end up being worthless. However, there will be some googles or yahoos that stick and whoever owns some of those coins will be the true winners. Are these investments gambles? Hell yah they are, but let's not paint everything as a scam. Especially with the transparency provided by a decentralized blockchain. At least these blockchains are pretty much an open ledger. Name me a pyramid scheme or scam with an open ledger.

*side note* that being said feel free to go in on centralized blockchains. I can't defend those :lol:

I don’t have any questions. The concept of blockchain has been around for a solid amount and if you’re a tech person, specifically in the security space, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

I know exactly what an ICO is and how it’s a complete scam. 1st, when you buy stock, you own equity in a company, you’re entitled to company assets during bankruptcy (now getting them as common holder is a whole diff story but not topic here). When you buy an ICO, you don’t own any equity in any company. You own an alt coin that was mined/created by a company, nothing backing it, no company assets, that’s it. You talk about it replacing fiat currency, but that’s the perfect explanation to an ICO being a scam. I start my own company, fire up the printing presses and start printing currency bills with my company logo, issue them to “investors” in exchange for USD. What makes the value of my newly company currency go up? We all know the answer to this so won’t continue with a Principles of Econ 101 course. Yeah, speculation just like what’s going on now, people with lotto tix, but at the root of it, what will make the value of my currency go up? A currency value can’t be driven solely by speculation, it’s driven by people buying it bc a particular transaction demands it.

This discussion is identical to a call I had recently with a startup. Foreign founder wanted access to early stage VC investors with an ICO. Cool, but I asked him exactly what all my peers would ask during the initial convo.
“What do I get for my investment?”
“An alt eth coin from my company.”
“Ok, I’m confused, what incentive do I have to buy your coin? Why not just buy eth coin directly and bypass the whole involvement of your company.”
Pondering, followed by “You’re getting an investment the future”
“Ok, great, but I can invest in the future with a direct eth coin investment. Why your coin relative to others? There’s more liquidity with eth coin than your alt eth coin. So left scratching my head why your coin.”

There is no answer and that’s where the pyramid scheme ends...
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,286

Post#1259 » by RHODEY » Thu Mar 8, 2018 9:15 pm

cuyankees wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:
cuyankees wrote:You’re tying a technological concept (blockchain) to a form of currency and “investing” in crypto currency doesn’t correlate to the uptake in adoption of blockchain. Common fallacy with these cryptocurrencies simply bc cryptocurrencies are based on blockchain.

I don’t have any questions. The concept of blockchain has been around for a solid amount and if you’re a tech person, specifically in the security space, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

I know exactly what an ICO is and how it’s a complete scam. 1st, when you buy stock, you own equity in a company, you’re entitled to company assets during bankruptcy (now getting them as common holder is a whole diff story but not topic here). When you buy an ICO, you don’t own any equity in any company. You own an alt coin that was mined/created by a company, nothing backing it, no company assets, that’s it. You talk about it replacing fiat currency, but that’s the perfect explanation to an ICO being a scam. I start my own company, fire up the printing presses and start printing currency bills with my company logo, issue them to “investors” in exchange for USD. What makes the value of my newly company currency go up? We all know the answer to this so won’t continue with a Principles of Econ 101 course. Yeah, speculation just like what’s going on now, people with lotto tix, but at the root of it, what will make the value of my currency go up? A currency value can’t be driven solely by speculation, it’s driven by people buying it bc a particular transaction demands it.

This discussion is identical to a call I had recently with a startup. Foreign founder wanted access to early stage VC investors with an ICO. Cool, but I asked him exactly what all my peers would ask during the initial convo.
“What do I get for my investment?”
“An alt eth coin from my company.”
“Ok, I’m confused, what incentive do I have to buy your coin? Why not just buy eth coin directly and bypass the whole involvement of your company.”
Pondering, followed by “You’re getting an investment the future”
“Ok, great, but I can invest in the future with a direct eth coin investment. Why your coin relative to others? There’s more liquidity with eth coin than your alt eth coin. So left scratching my head why your coin.”

There is no answer and that’s where the pyramid scheme ends...

NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#1260 » by NY2TheBay » Fri Mar 9, 2018 4:50 am

NY2TheBay wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:This is a great thread.

BP.

Hit me with a PM.

Homie, enable your PM's :lol:

I just wrote you a damn missive and couldnt send it.

Return to New York Knicks