ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks | Bucks PG: "Where the post game at" Edition of the PG

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,215

Re: Knicks | Bucks PG: 

Post#81 » by mpharris36 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:16 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
vallen wrote:

its a **** stat to judge anything on really but it has to do with your contribution on whole, as well as the opponent your guarding.

its not solely on his defense.

30 minutes without doing anything on offense is non productive period.

correct so if he was doing nothing wouldn't he be hurting the team?

Check the score.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app

I did and I watched the game as well. Frank wasn't in when the bucks when on there big run run to go up 16...you want to guess who was?
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,149

Re: Knicks | Bucks PG: "Where the post game at" Edition of the PG 

Post#82 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Feels like 1-6 are locks in terms of players, just the order is the wild card.

Of course, the Knicks are picking 3 spots out of that, because 7th on is where the draft gets "iffy", in terms of there being a few really good players and some question marks, and Knicks will need someone to reach on Young or Carter to increase the odds of Mikal.
Even if Mikal is drafted, someone may have to reach on one of those guys for Brown to fall.

Consolation is even Mikal and Brown could be drafted and Sexton is there with Carter and Young.

Knicks would take Carter or Young.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#83 » by Red Vines » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Mudiay played decent in the 2nd half but I knew he wasn't going to lead us to a W, he was just trying not to embarrass himself.

Frank is Frank right now until he has the 90 days this summer to turn into Giannis.

Burke plays at such random times and he was focused on getting guys shots. Appears his shooting wrist is still hurt. Overall he looks like a guy who knows he's not starting no matter what he does and that's too bad, really got the shaft this year after sacrificing and playing well.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,215

Post#84 » by mpharris36 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Red Vines wrote:Mudiay played decent in the 2nd half but I knew he wasn't going to lead us to a W, he was just trying not to embarrass himself.

Frank is Frank right now until he has the 90 days this summer to turn into Giannis.

Burke plays at such random times and he was focused on getting guys shots. Appears his shooting wrist is still hurt. Overall he looks like a guy who knows he's not starting no matter what he does and that's too bad, really got the shaft this year after sacrificing and playing well.

knocks both mudiay and frank and makes excuses for burke...who would have guessed it.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#85 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Did anyone think Jeff talked to Mudiay and said: "Um....Muddy....you're tank is too obvious...score a little more..."?
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,147

Post#86 » by Fat Kat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
K P 6 wrote:People sleeping on Frank still? Straight impact player without scoring the ball. That to me is impressive. Every best knick lineup Includes him. I wonder why ?

I have no idea what Frank will become.

If he doesn't improve at all, not one bit, he'd be a good defensive guard off the bench who moves the ball and is willing to play a team game. Basically a better Ron Baker. That's the floor. Without speculating about ceiling, because who knows, I think he becomes some kind of glue/role guy, at 1,2, who can guard 3's and not get killed on switches to 4's. Ideally, he'd get paired with Mikal Bridges (assuming the Knicks don't luck out in the lottery and also luck out that Bridges falls - neither likely), so now that's pairing him with a guy comfortable guarding 1-4 and who is also a glue/role guy. Makes it sound as if I'm putting down Mikal or Frank, but I'm saying they would be EXCELLENT glue/role guys. These are the kind of players a team should collect - some all around potential but stout defenders, jump shots look either good, or strong indication they'll come around based on form. The players a teams collects until it finds that star facilitator. Don't waste time and $ on the Amare's and Melo's of the world. Get players who are cost controlled, willing to play within the system and themselves, who are versatile on D and bide time for the star who creates. If a team gets a big who is a star, he has to be defensively good at protecting the paint. Then it's waiting for the very above average facilitator.

Oh and that team should collect players like Burke as well, because guys who can create and score well can be excused for lackluster D. I personally believe the key is that a team could have 2 guys like that in the rotation - one in the backcourt and one in the frontcourt. And they can carry one guy who can't do anything on offense (barely) but is really good on defense.

Trouble is, Knicks as currently constituted already have four "pretty good on offense, not good on defense" guys, 2 in the backcourt and 2 in the front court. Three in the backcourt if you count Mudiay as "good on offense", which he isn't.

It's a transition, so we'll see if the Knicks get it right. Mikal would give the Knicks a LOT of options in future roster construction, especially if Frank pans out. And if KP comes back and stays healthy (doubtful)

How does

Burke
Frank
Mikal
KP
Enes

Look to you?
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#87 » by EchelonNYK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Adelheid wrote:Nobody stops the tank. Nobody ever has...

This team is in the middle of nowhere. A single win will separate them from the pack even more. Finishing 7th-8th is the best they could do at this point. They're not catching Orlando or Atlanta. Those teams are a special kind of bad.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#88 » by nedleeds » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:The team was 23-32 when KP got injured, there was no playoff hunt even with him, but that wasn't because of anything he was doing as he was our top producer, all star level. The team has won one game since, but racked up 10 more additional losses, so the impact is definite, even if some refuse to admit.

This team really doesn't have much talent to truly develop outside of him.

Exactly.
KP is also a top 5 defensive big in the league. We only occasionally played D because of him. Jeff also hardly played him with Frank. That should be something to look foward to in Fall 2019 :roll:
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#89 » by blueNorange » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:57 pm

2010 wrote:
Dantares wrote:Glad to hear Jeff took mudiay to the side and gave him that little pep talk.

Just look at how much the floor opens up when mudiay is hitting his jumpshots. He can get in the lane at will when that happens. He was drawing fouls, guys were overcommitting on ball denial so mudiay was getting backdoor cuts. Somebody even fouled him at the 3 point line because he was consistently hitting that j.

Word. If Frankie Immunity gets a grace period so does Mudiay. 8-)

one has 50 nba games and a smooth looking jumper that just needs reps

the other is in year 3 and has a hitch in his shot that’ll never be fixed

frank deserves a grace period, mudiay just sucks.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,913

Re: RE: Re: Knicks | Bucks PG: "Where the post game at" Edition of the PG 

Post#90 » by GONYK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Fury wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Mikal Bridges
Troy Brown
Sexton

That's where I'm at, at the moment. Figuring the Knicks picking 9th.

Not as if I don't see positive things about Bagley, Porter, Bamba, Ayton, Donic - it's just they'll be gone.

Because smart teams knew when and how to tank.

Don’t forget triple J and hope some sucker team picks Young ahead of us (will prob be us)

Young is actually the key to our draft, IMO.

If some team bites on him early, then I think that opens the door to Bridges or JJJ falling to us, assuming Porter goes early.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#91 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I'm not a Perry fan - or anti Perry - yet. But that 18 million is just replacement money from Melo. Kanter was the "cost" of shedding Melo.
There was probably an edict from Dolan to move Melo and the bad PR. Phil and Melo sniped at each other, Phil was fired, Melo got traded? Coincidence? Probably not. This is the Dolan factor. Non conspiratorial read is they wanted to accommodate Melo and remove some stink of not being a franchise that goes about things "the right way" and improve their rep with other teams, agents.

On face value,with the NTC of Melo, getting two 25 year old players, one of whom had a cheap and moveable contract, was solid.

Moving McD for Mudiay might not have been a good move. But the Melo trade can't take that into account. It's a separate action

I am going to respectfully disagree. If I was Perry, I'd say, "We'll eat MOST of Melo's remaining contract BUT you have to give us 2 First round picks, one of which may be lottery protected...and Roberson."

Perry has worked in Sacramento, Detroit....not EXACTLY institutions known for success rebuilding. Detroit is great once every 15-20 yrs. Not exactly Christmas.

Oh and the Mudiay move was a dumpster fire in the making. ANY Knicks fan who thought this was a good idea, PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE NADS. You deserve it. STUPID.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#92 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
K P 6 wrote:People sleeping on Frank still? Straight impact player without scoring the ball. That to me is impressive. Every best knick lineup Includes him. I wonder why ?

I have no idea what Frank will become.

If he doesn't improve at all, not one bit, he'd be a good defensive guard off the bench who moves the ball and is willing to play a team game. Basically a better Ron Baker. That's the floor. Without speculating about ceiling, because who knows, I think he becomes some kind of glue/role guy, at 1,2, who can guard 3's and not get killed on switches to 4's. Ideally, he'd get paired with Mikal Bridges (assuming the Knicks don't luck out in the lottery and also luck out that Bridges falls - neither likely), so now that's pairing him with a guy comfortable guarding 1-4 and who is also a glue/role guy. Makes it sound as if I'm putting down Mikal or Frank, but I'm saying they would be EXCELLENT glue/role guys. These are the kind of players a team should collect - some all around potential but stout defenders, jump shots look either good, or strong indication they'll come around based on form. The players a teams collects until it finds that star facilitator. Don't waste time and $ on the Amare's and Melo's of the world. Get players who are cost controlled, willing to play within the system and themselves, who are versatile on D and bide time for the star who creates. If a team gets a big who is a star, he has to be defensively good at protecting the paint. Then it's waiting for the very above average facilitator.

Oh and that team should collect players like Burke as well, because guys who can create and score well can be excused for lackluster D. I personally believe the key is that a team could have 2 guys like that in the rotation - one in the backcourt and one in the frontcourt. And they can carry one guy who can't do anything on offense (barely) but is really good on defense.

Trouble is, Knicks as currently constituted already have four "pretty good on offense, not good on defense" guys, 2 in the backcourt and 2 in the front court. Three in the backcourt if you count Mudiay as "good on offense", which he isn't.

It's a transition, so we'll see if the Knicks get it right. Mikal would give the Knicks a LOT of options in future roster construction, especially if Frank pans out. And if KP comes back and stays healthy (doubtful)

How does

Burke
Frank
Mikal
KP
Enes

Look to you?

"ok"
Better than a lineup with THJr in it. Ideally I'd rather Burke come off the bench, but I'd have him the rotation for 25+ mpg anyway, so it's a little moot.
Enes has to go as well. Eventually.
It's a decent transitional team.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#93 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I'm not a Perry fan - or anti Perry - yet. But that 18 million is just replacement money from Melo. Kanter was the "cost" of shedding Melo.
There was probably an edict from Dolan to move Melo and the bad PR. Phil and Melo sniped at each other, Phil was fired, Melo got traded? Coincidence? Probably not. This is the Dolan factor. Non conspiratorial read is they wanted to accommodate Melo and remove some stink of not being a franchise that goes about things "the right way" and improve their rep with other teams, agents.

On face value,with the NTC of Melo, getting two 25 year old players, one of whom had a cheap and moveable contract, was solid.

Moving McD for Mudiay might not have been a good move. But the Melo trade can't take that into account. It's a separate action

I am going to respectfully disagree. If I was Perry, I'd say, "We'll eat MOST of Melo's remaining contract BUT you have to give us 2 First round picks, one of which may be lottery protected...and Roberson."

Perry has worked in Sacramento, Detroit....not EXACTLY institutions known for success rebuilding. Detroit is great once every 15-20 yrs. Not exactly Christmas.

Oh and the Mudiay move was a dumpster fire in the making. ANY Knicks fan who thought this was a good idea, PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE NADS. You deserve it. STUPID.

I'm not going to rehash the Melo trade. Anyway you slice it, Knicks were taking back someone who made 15 million plus and probably had some issues. Kanter seems like the sort of level of guy who would come back - not expiring, decent player, sort of overpaid. The upside he's not on the team any longer than Melo would have been. Other than Miss Cleo level stuff of when either opts in or out. It's easy to say all this and that about eating contracts etc. Who knows if such things were on offer. I'd say, on the face of it, it seems like a logical kind of trade for Melo that reasonably competent teams would make. Sure it could be better, but it always felt like "yeah, that's about what a Melo with NTC would look like"
I'm not really a Kanter fan, just facing facts. There are the deals I would like, and then reality. Kanter seems like a reality piece back. I'll be glad when he expires or is willing to play for 8 million a year as a backup. Or KOQ for that same price. Both decent, semi flawed backup C's.

I also said I'm not sold on Perry either way. He's been ok with cheap deals for cast off kind of guys who've been ok. That's solid. Mudiay trade doesn't look good right now but I understand it in theory. Even if I judge it now as bad, his track record is still "ok". It's also still early yet. Ok could turn "good" and just as easily (and likely, on the Knicks) turn bad.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,992

Post#94 » by anotherhomer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:45 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:I didn’t even know we had a game today

Damn, Frank played 33 minutes and only scored 2 points on 4 shots?

ya i look at the boxscore and i'm like WAT

it's kinda weird because i was honest high on Frank.....did PJax really make a bad pick or Jeff is screwing him over?
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,992

Post#95 » by anotherhomer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
This team really doesn't have much talent to truly develop outside of him.

*you don't ocnsider frank to be a talent :( don't tell me knicks whip on this pick
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#96 » by GYK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:59 pm

vallen wrote:
Dantares wrote:Just when I said Burke has star potential he puts up back to back stinkers. Sorry for the jinx guys.

Troy Williams is nice. Kind of reminds me of ariza.

Frank was meh tonight but he somehow ends up having a decent plus/minus on the night because his defense is good.

Kornet looked overwhelmed and a little nervous. You could tell he wasn't playing loose.

Timmy played really good.

when you dont shoot, you dont destroy your +/-. sure the defense help too, but when your invisible in the stat lines your invisible in +/-

That's not true at all. It's has zero to do with your box score. Go 0 for 10 but be on the floor during a 10-0 run you just got +10 in +/-
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,598

Post#97 » by Capn'O » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Triple C wrote:

I liked what I saw from him last night. Was impacting both ends.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,264
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#98 » by BKlutch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Triple C wrote:

He is very quick in the open court and agile around the basket - he made a few layups where he was fouled. He also hit a 3 - if he can shoot, that will really open up his opportunities to drive. Now is the time to play him and look at what he can do a bit more.

I felt like McBuckets cooled off as the season went on, his shots didn't fall, and Knicks stopped looking for him when he moved without the ball. So maybe Troy could play a wing role.

Sometimes, I wonder what the team would look like with KP at the 5, a stretch 4 like Troy (or better), and guards who can shoot, penetrate, and defend. I'll probably have to keep wondering...

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

NYKnicks6
Senior
And1: 399

Post#99 » by NYKnicks6 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Triple C wrote:

I really like this guy..would love to have him back next year.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#100 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Does anyone else feel like there's a good chance for the Knicks to trade up in this draft to get a prospect the really like?

There are some very good prospects in the top 6-7, but there's no real consensus on the order outside Doncic and Ayton. Those guys are considered the best and will one in the top 3...but 3-7 is kinda up in the air.

If we pick 9 I could easily see a team in the 5-6 range swapping #6 for #9 + 2nd + some asset or cash. We should still walk away from this draft with a very solid player.

Of course, this all goes back to trading Melo in 2015 when it would have benefited our franchise to the max. It was clear he was done et we dragged it out. And here we are, picking in the mid lotto instead of in the top 3 because they are directionless.

Obviously, in hindsight picking Frank at #8 instead of being in the top 3 doesn't look all that bad. Nobody from 1-7 is absolutely blowing the league away as the next bona fide superstar. Of course Taytum and Ball have been good and Fultz still has skiy-high upside. And I like what Fox has shown in terms of a lead PG.

but in terms of the next franchise changer, none of them strike me as that. However, hindsight is 20/20, and marginal outcomes are the product of the poor team construction. This team made futile attempt after futile attempt to make the playoffs with aged vets in the hopes of losing in round 1.

And here we are. After season after season of making the same mistake over and over and over again. It was finally our chance to surround KP with young, hungry talent that was looking to earn their place in the league for cheap. It was finally our chance to give KP full reign and let him go wild. It was finally time to give all of our minutes to young players. It was finally our chance to pick in the top 5 in a loaded draft. It was finally time to begin clearing our books completely.

And what did we do?

Sign Tim Hardaway Jr.
Give Jarret Jack the starting job
Keep Kanter/Lee/KOQ
Not negotiate a buyout with Noah
Favoring Lance Thomas over literally anyone

The only thing this front office is good at is sabotaging its chances of success.

Return to New York Knicks