ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,396

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#321 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm

bkzfinest11 wrote:
BadNewsBarnes wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Mans literally had to come in here and suck dick to get his team’s thread stickied.

Sad state of affairs to get down on knees...just for that...smh

been 24hr. just checking... Mets Fan got the sticky yet?

Yup :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#322 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:I’d put Hicks at leadoff tbh.

Isn't the most classic 1,2 the Yankees could bat, based on current roster, Gardner-Didi?
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#323 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:20 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Isn't the most classic 1,2 the Yankees could bat, based on current roster, Gardner-Didi?

Hicks is a better hitter, better at getting on base and probably strikes out less then Gardy. I’m terms of classic lineups go..

Hicks
Didi
GCS
Judge
Sanchez
?
?
?
Torreyes?

Judge/GCS/Sanchez should be rotating DH every game.

Torreyes may or may not be starting, if he is then u can bat him 9th. 4th outfielder is either Frazier, Jacoby or Gardy. Who starts at 3B? Adjuar? (Sp?) is Drury going to start? What’s up with Torres? Will he start in the minors(probably) Bird looking suspect.

Curious to see how it all comes together.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,157

Post#324 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
I guess that proves he's not a Joey Votto level hitter when it comes to strike outs. Who cares?

I'm pretty sure if you google up MLB's greatest lead off hitters, there's ONE defining point...they don't strike out excessively and manage to get consistently on base which puts pressure on the pitcher.

Also more often than not, they are great base stealers or can run well. It's a KEY ingredient in manufacturing runs.

There is a difference between having Judge bat lead off and him being the great leadoff hitter. We don't need him to be the greatest leadoff hitter if he becomes our leadoff hitter. We just need to have him continue being the great hitter he was for most of last year.

Besides strikeouts the whole "leadoff hitter" thing is so overrated. A new hitter leads off at the start of every inning. At some point Giancarlo Stanton will lead off. At some point Gary Sanchez will lead off. And at some point Aaron Judge will lead off. You are making a big deal about what is essentially the 1st at bat in a game that will feature at least 27 at bats. Not that big of a deal.

Personally I do NOT think Judge is going to have a decent but not very good sophomore season. I think he's going to hit between 32-35 home runs, about 80-89 RBIs, and .270 Avg...but he will strike out 160+ times.

First of all, if Judge was to average those numbers for the rest of his career he would be a very successful player. But I don't think he'll do that. He'll probably hit closer to 50 homers again because he's so damned strong, hits in a really good lineup and plays half his games at Yankee Stadium. He'll probably strike out at least 180 times. But as long as he's hitting home runs and drawing walks I am happy.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#325 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Hicks is a better hitter, better at getting on base and probably strikes out less then Gardy. I’m terms of classic lineups go..

Hicks
Didi
GCS
Judge
Sanchez
Frazier?
?
?
Torreyes?

Judge/GCS/Sanchez should be rotating DH every game.

Torreyes may or may not be starting, if he is then u can bat him 9th. 4th outfielder is either Frazier or Gardy. Who starts at 3B? Adjuar? (Sp?) is Drury going to start? What’s up with Torres? Will he start in the minors(probably) Bird looking suspect.

Curious to see how it all comes together.

4th OF is Ellsbury, unless he starts season on DL. Then it's who knows? McKinney? Wade, the super utility role? It's pretty interesting to think how the whole thing plays out. My guess - not batting order, but lineup - the hitters. The SP/RP seems set except for last reliever

1B - Bird
2B- Drury (until Torres gets called up in a month)
SS - Didi
3B - Andujar
LF - Garder
CF - Hicks
RF - Judge
C - Sanchez
DH- Stanton

Bench: C - Romine, Inf/OF - Wade, Ellsbury (or McKinney), Tyler Austin (gut feeling) - Lind over Austin (*edited)
One month later - Torres is called up, Drury joins Wade as versatile bench guy, McKinney or Austin sent down (depending on Ellsbury health)

edit - my reasoning is cost control of Torres, that Wade provides real SS/2B skills but can play OF, Drury had 3B/2B skills, Stanton winds up being another OF'er, Austin because he can play 1B and OF.
Or Lind beats out Austin. I think Austin is better than his numbers show in limited time.

Oh, Lind bats left. Austin will have to kill spring training to beat him out.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#326 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 pm

If Jacoby starts the season (which you are right, he probably does) then he probably leads off. I like Hicks in the front of the lineup because of how great he is at working counts. Just need 1 of Jacoby or Hicks to get on base in the first inning and we have a chance to blow the game open.

Jacoby
Hicks
GSC
Judge
Sanchez
Didi
Drury
Bird
Andujar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#327 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Jacoby Ellsbury hates hitting lead off...I remember him mentioning that, although Girardi made him hit there when he had to. Y'know at his age and the state of his body, I kind of prefer someone like Bird over Ellsbury. Not saying Ellsbury should start.

BTW I haven't heard a word but is Gleyber Torres going to make the team, opening day?

Cause I remember distinctly being given a hard time from someone who guaranteed this guy would be a starter Opening Day...the moment after he was injured last season in the minors.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#328 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:If Jacoby starts the season (which you are right, he probably does) then he probably leads off. I like Hicks in the front of the lineup because of how great he is at working counts. Just need 1 of Jacoby or Hicks to get on base in the first inning and we have a chance to blow the game open.

Jacoby
Hicks
GSC
Judge
Sanchez
Didi
Drury
Bird
Andujar

I don't see Ellsbury over Gardner. It's weird. IF Ellsbury is truly 100%, he's better than Gardner. But he's never healthy. And Gardner means a lot in terms of leadership, so I just assume he starts and Ells is 4th OF. Frazier would have had to tear up spring training and his concussion ended that dream. AAA for him.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#329 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Jacoby Ellsbury hates hitting lead off...I remember him mentioning that, although Girardi made him hit there when he had to. Y'know at his age and the state of his body, I kind of prefer someone like Bird over Ellsbury. Not saying Ellsbury should start.

BTW I haven't heard a word but is Gleyber Torres going to make the team, opening day?

Cause I remember distinctly being given a hard time from someone who guaranteed this guy would be a starter Opening Day...the moment after he was injured last season in the minors.

I think they control him and call him up in a month. Wasn't me who argued with you. Still too early, but he's looked a bit rusty. That provides the excuse. If he was tearing it up, or does from this point on, he goes north with the team. IMHO.
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#330 » by levendis » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Gegorious and his .318 OBP shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the lineup in front of guys like Judge/Stanton/Sanchez/Bird.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,157

Post#331 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:43 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:If Jacoby starts the season (which you are right, he probably does) then he probably leads off. I like Hicks in the front of the lineup because of how great he is at working counts. Just need 1 of Jacoby or Hicks to get on base in the first inning and we have a chance to blow the game open.

Jacoby
Hicks
GSC
Judge
Sanchez
Didi
Drury
Bird
Andujar

I don't see Ellsbury over Gardner. It's weird. IF Ellsbury is truly 100%, he's better than Gardner. But he's never healthy. And Gardner means a lot in terms of leadership, so I just assume he starts and Ells is 4th OF. Frazier would have had to tear up spring training and his concussion ended that dream. AAA for him.

No he isn't. Since he signed with the Yankees the only year he was clearly the better player was in 2014. Every other year Gardner was either better or close enough that the difference in their salaries is disgusting.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#332 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Put Stanton and Judge at 8th and 9th. That will throw people off and really be unconventional.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#333 » by Mecca » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:34 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

No, Didi is a low OBP player and doesn't take pitches. Gardner, Hicks is the most classic because of OBP and pitches taken.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#334 » by levendis » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

No, Didi is a low OBP player and doesn't take pitches. Gardner, Hicks is the most classic because of OBP and pitches taken.

If Hicks proves he's the high OBP player he was in the first half he should bat first, until then Gardner should be there.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,038

Post#335 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Ellsbury is only here because of that salary. He's not better than anyone and, he's killing young guys chances of making the team. Terrible signing. Maybe they can pay most of his deal to move him eventually.

Gardy is the leadoff man. Judge is not a bad look though. 1-0 starts every few games will lead to a few extra wins a year. It's crazy though because...even though Judge does have decent speed and can run the bases well...you need more speed at the leadoff. Judge is just too big to be that guy. His strikeout numbers aside. Didi is not a leadoff hitter. His OBP is usually right around his avg. He doesn't see a lot of pitches either...unless he's fighting them off occasionally. Until Gardy can't do it anymore...he should be the guy.

Nice 2-0 lead here established by Gardy/Judge as 1 and 2. Let's beat these scrubs!!
:beer: RIP mags
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#336 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I figured Didi maybe for bat control. I don't think the Yankees have a classic # 1 or a #2 hitter anywhere on the team, honestly.

Gardner and Hicks I could see. Even Hicks has more pop than the classic #2.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#337 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Jacoby
Hicks
GSC
Judge
Sanchez
Didi
Drury
Bird
Andujar

No he isn't. Since he signed with the Yankees the only year he was clearly the better player was in 2014. Every other year Gardner was either better or close enough that the difference in their salaries is disgusting.

I meant sort of based on career and his theoretically best play, which the Yanks only saw once. To me, Gardner has been better mostly because of Ellsbury's injuries. I'm not here to prop up Ellsbury. I'd rather see Gardner play, and he does. Like stated, Ellsbury is still on the team because of $. It's one of Cashman's mistakes. The other being McCann, which at least he erased and in a decent way.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#338 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 pm

levendis wrote:Gegorious and his .318 OBP shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the lineup in front of guys like Judge/Stanton/Sanchez/Bird.

Yet they had him batting 3rd at some point.

I was thinking mostly about bat control, some speed, but I really don't like him at the top of the order. Was more thinking out loud. I'll state it again. I don't think the Yanks have an old fashioned quality leadoff hitter or # 2 hitter. They have guys who can fill the roles "ok", but Gardner doesn't really tear it up in batting average and walks and his base stealing hasn't been great for about 5 years - but I'd guess that more a function of approach. Gardner is a classic leadoff hitter, he just isn't really a great one. He could just as soon be batting 7-9 on a team that had a really good lead off hitter. It's hard to say what Hicks is, because he's had one good half season, but he did draw a good number of walks. Conversely, he's strike out 100+ times if he ever played a full year, but that's not as big a deal as it used to be, so I guess that's ok now for a guy who hits 2nd. It certainly wouldn't have been for most of the history of baseball, but the attitude towards strikeouts is way different than it used to be and baseball FO people know analytics, so I'd assume they'd be ok with it.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,038

Post#339 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Judge 1.000 OBP today. 3-2 is almost ALWAYS the count.

STANTON!!! LONG BALL!!! Harvey gets rocked today!!! 5-1 bottom 5. Stanton hits his first Yankee HR!!!
:beer: RIP mags
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#340 » by GEOLINK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:42 pm

DONGCARLO FINALLY STRIKES!

Return to New York Knicks