Former ESPN President Preferred Relationship With NBA Over NFL

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Former ESPN President Preferred Relationship With NBA Over NFL 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 pm

In a report from Sports Business Journal about ESPN's relationship with the NFL, former president John Skipper is described as favoring basketball and his relationship with Adam Silver over the NFL and its leaders.

Skipper did not engage with the people who matter at the NFL, like Goodell and Brian Rolapp, executive vice president of media, sources said. 

Silver also did not socialize or develop close ties with influential NFL owners like Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones.

ESPN's new president, Jimmy Pitaro, has already met with key leaders from the NFL as he attempts to repair the relationship.

Via John Ourand/Sports Business Journal

Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Re: Former ESPN President Preferred Relationship With NBA Over NFL 

Post#2 » by Javier Acosta » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:25 am

Silver also did not socialize or develop close ties with influential NFL owners like Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones.

Skipper or Silver?

Also, not surprised.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#3 » by MitchB3 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 pm

I guess he knew that the NBA would overtake the NFL at some point.
Lazy10
Junior
And1: 179

Post#4 » by Lazy10 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 pm

MitchB3 wrote:I guess he knew that the NBA would overtake the NFL at some point.

It won't though
MitchB3
Starter

Post#5 » by MitchB3 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Lazy10 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:I guess he knew that the NBA would overtake the NFL at some point.

It won't though

Funny typical American response. The NBA is more relatable, you can see the players face, but hey that's just what I see.
Lazy10
Junior
And1: 179

Post#6 » by Lazy10 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:07 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Lazy10 wrote:

It won't though

Funny typical American response. The NBA is more relatable, you can see the players face, but hey that's just what I see.

Doesn't matter the NFL owns NBA ratings. Pretty sure world series gets more or similar ratings than NBA. NFL is going to remain king for next few decades. NBA needs to pass MLB first
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#7 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Lazy10 wrote:

It won't though

Actually, it's the correct response. Despite the PR nightmares that the NFL creates for themselves seemingly every five minutes, it is still by far the most popular league in the US and it generates more revenue than any other sports league in the world. Football is king in America, and it probably always will be.
Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Post#8 » by Javier Acosta » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:17 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Lazy10 wrote:

It won't though

i am sure soccer showcases the players face less often and is more popular.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#9 » by MitchB3 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
Lazy10 wrote:It won't though

Actually, it's the correct response. Despite the PR nightmares that the NFL creates for themselves seemingly every five minutes, it is still by far the most popular league in the US and it generates more revenue than any other sports league in the world. Football is king in America, and it probably always will be.

AMERICA. NFL isn't king in the world.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#10 » by colaroaster » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm

espn cannibalized themselves with facebook only comments.. no one uses facebook and they quickly became an irrelevant website
..goodell a snake? who would of thought
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,247

Post#11 » by Harry Garris » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:33 pm

colaroaster wrote:espn cannibalized themselves with facebook only comments.. no one uses facebook and they quickly became an irrelevant website
..goodell a snake? who would of thought

Facebook is #2 or #3 in web traffic pretty much every day. You might not use Facebook yourself but everyone has a Facebook page and its used significantly more than any other social media site. Just thought I'd point that out because a lot of my friends also believe Facebook is dying since they and their friend group might use it less now but that's definitely not the case.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#12 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

AMERICA. NFL isn't king in the world.

Yes... as I said, football is king in America. ESPN is an American network with an American audience, and therefore its president needs to keep the network in touch with American sports fans' preferences. As long as the NFL is by far the most popular sport in the US, it's probably not the best business move to alienate them in favor of a significantly less popular league.

Furthermore, you originally argued that the NBA was going to surpass the NFL. Given that the US is the only country in the world where the NBA still has to *surpass* the NFL, what else could you have possibly been implying?

Return to Wiretap Discussion