Raptors Pitched DeMar DeRozan On Shooting More Three-Pointers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Raptors Pitched DeMar DeRozan On Shooting More Three-Pointers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Bobby Webster and the Toronto Raptors three highest ranked coaches were called into the office of Masai Ujiri on December 19th before summoning in DeMar DeRozan.

"I didn't know what the hell was going on," DeRozan recalls. "I thought, 'S---, I know I can't be traded.' It was like I was being called into the principal's office.'"

The Raptors had reinvented their offense but they needed something more from DeRozan.

Ujiri told DeRozan they wanted him to become Toronto's Kobe Bryant as a lifetime player who defines a franchise, but they needed him to shoot more three-pointers.

If DeRozan began to shoot more three-pointers, he would take less contact, create more space and possessions would flow more naturally.

"When everyone has that kind of confidence in you -- that you can carry a franchise -- it gives you that extra confidence," DeRozan said. "For them to say I could be in [Kobe's] position -- it was an honor accepting that fully."

DeRozan has since averaged more almost four three-point attempts per game.

"Is [the new offense] gonna translate into the playoffs?" Casey asks. "We're gonna find out."

The league is respectful, yet skeptical. "We take that disrespect," DeRozan says, "and carry it into games."

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Re: Raptors Pitched DeMar DeRozan On Shooting More Three-Pointers 

Post#2 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Good move by the FO. They know how to get the most out of their players in Toronto.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
BasketballJunky
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#3 » by BasketballJunky » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 pm

My honest opinion is the Raptors, Casey, Derozan should’ve self discovered and made the necessary tweaks years ago.

The results have been amazing so far this year. The buyout market was unkind I thought joe Johnson, bellinelli, Brewer , even ilyasova would’ve helped the rotation. It’s a good reminder though that we have to develop from within. Raptors will likely pick up their 50th win tonight against Brooklyn in just 67 games. Sky is the Limit!
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#4 » by Reeko » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 pm

BasketballJunky wrote:My honest opinion is the Raptors, Casey, Derozan should’ve self discovered and made the necessary tweaks years ago.

The results have been amazing so far this year. The buyout market was unkind I thought joe Johnson, bellinelli, Brewer , even ilyasova would’ve helped the rotation. It’s a good reminder though that we have to develop from within. Raptors will likely pick up their 50th win tonight against Brooklyn in just 67 games. Sky is the Limit!

The Raptors have the best bench in the NBA. There was no need for them to pick up a player in the buyout market.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#5 » by macNcheese3 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Love what DD is doing. He has a great work ethic
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#6 » by F N 11 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 pm

BasketballJunky wrote:My honest opinion is the Raptors, Casey, Derozan should’ve self discovered and made the necessary tweaks years ago.

The Raptors have a sick bench that plays together made up of guys looking to make a name for themselves.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#7 » by RaptorPride » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 pm

None of those players would have got minutes here
Spoiler:

luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#8 » by luss54321 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:23 pm

What a ridiculous argument.

DeRozan is shooting 31% from 3PT... including 28% in February and 28% so far in March.

There's no metric that will EVER say a player shooting 30% from 3 needs to shoot more deep balls. Toronto is obviously a much improved team this year, but I can guarantee you it's not due to DeRozan's poor 3PT shooting.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#9 » by CoachD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 pm

luss54321 wrote:What a ridiculous argument.

DeRozan is shooting 31% from 3PT... including 28% in February and 28% so far in March.

There's no metric that will EVER say a player shooting 30% from 3 needs to shoot more deep balls. Toronto is obviously a much improved team this year, but I can guarantee you it's not due to DeRozan's poor 3PT shooting.

If you check, I believe his corner 3 is much higher.

Also, the difference is, in the playoffs in years past, teams would go under ball screens on Demar EVERY SINGLE TIME and Demar would either dribble into a double or pass out. Now, when teams go under, he's sticking that shot. I believe his 3pt% on ball screens is over 34% and that's enough to keep teams honest.
KnightofHyrule
Sixth Man
And1: 1,929

Post#10 » by KnightofHyrule » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm

31 makes per 100 3pt shots (31% from 3-pt range)
93 Points

45 makes per 100 midrange shots (45% from midrange)
90 points

Not only that, but it spaces the floor as well for the other players to penetrate. In other words, DeRozan shooting 3s helps improve the Raptors. It is not one of the main reasons, but it certainly doesn't hinder them.
casey_glory7 wrote:Raptors vs GS finals 2018 confirmed. I'll pay every realgm member 50 bucks if im wrong.

Thanks for ruining everything, KD....
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#11 » by hyberx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Somebody is seriously clueless if they still do not understand the importance of 3pters in the modern NBA. There is a good reason that all the top teams are good at 3pters. It also affects the whole spacing and stretch the defense, changing the whole scheme.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#12 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 pm

hyberx wrote:Somebody is seriously clueless if they still do not understand the importance of 3pters in the modern NBA. There is a good reason that all the top teams are good at 3pters. It also affects the whole spacing and stretch the defense, changing the whole scheme.

His mindset was that the is an elite mid range shooter, which he is.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#13 » by luss54321 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm

KnightofHyrule wrote:

93 Points

90 points

Not only that, but it spaces the floor as well for the other players to penetrate. In other words, DeRozan shooting 3s helps improve the Raptors. It is not one of the main reasons, but it certainly doesn't hinder them.

Well to be honest he's really not a good mid range shooter either. DeRozan is great around the basket and great at drawing fouls, but his shooting numbers across the board are below average. I don't understand how a player missing 3 pointers improves a team's spacing. There's no reason to defend DeRozan beyond the arc. Any smart team would go below the screen and let him take the 3.
KnightofHyrule
Sixth Man
And1: 1,929

Post#14 » by KnightofHyrule » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 pm

luss54321 wrote:
KnightofHyrule wrote:

93 Points

90 points

Well to be honest he's really not a good mid range shooter either. DeRozan is great around the basket and great at drawing fouls, but his shooting numbers across the board are below average. I don't understand how a player missing 3 pointers improves a team's spacing. There's no reason to defend DeRozan beyond the arc. Any smart team would go below the screen and let him take the 3.

And then he drops five straight 3 pointers in your face.

The reason he's at 31% is because players actually defend him at the perimeter. If not, he's just gonna get comfortable and drain them like its practice. There's video of him swishing like five no look 3-pointers in a row. There are a few games when he was even hitting contested 3's like it was nothing. You still go under screens, but you can't just wait there. You have to make him feel you. It's not like Giannis, who hits 30% because he's uncontested. DeRozan would hit over 50% if he was uncontested.

Look at Jonas Valanciunas. He's shooting 44% from 3. A couple months ago that was closer to 50% because dudes let him take the 3. At that point, does it even make sense to leave him open? A wide open JV is better than a defensed Steph Curry. Now you actually have some dudes closing out on JV lol. JV's smart though and doesn't shoot it.

This is how the game has evolved. If you can shoot just 30% from 3 you are actually benefiting your team over taking midrange shots. So just eliminate the midrange. Dunks, Layups and 3-pointers. Only shoot midrange when you are completely open.
casey_glory7 wrote:Raptors vs GS finals 2018 confirmed. I'll pay every realgm member 50 bucks if im wrong.

Thanks for ruining everything, KD....
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#15 » by Boogie! » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 pm

This is the best thing I've read.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#16 » by DCRYsing89 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:32 pm

KnightofHyrule wrote:
luss54321 wrote:
KnightofHyrule wrote:
93 Points

90 points

And then he drops five straight 3 pointers in your face.

The reason he's at 31% is because players actually defend him at the perimeter. If not, he's just gonna get comfortable and drain them like its practice. There's video of him swishing like five no look 3-pointers in a row. There are a few games when he was even hitting contested 3's like it was nothing. You still go under screens, but you can't just wait there. You have to make him feel you. It's not like Giannis, who hits 30% because he's uncontested. DeRozan would hit over 50% if he was uncontested.

Look at Jonas Valanciunas. He's shooting 44% from 3. A couple months ago that was closer to 50% because dudes let him take the 3. At that point, does it even make sense to leave him open? A wide open JV is better than a defensed Steph Curry. Now you actually have some dudes closing out on JV lol. JV's smart though and doesn't shoot it.

This is how the game has evolved. If you can shoot just 30% from 3 you are actually benefiting your team over taking midrange shots. So just eliminate the midrange. Dunks, Layups and 3-pointers. Only shoot midrange when you are completely open.

Its pretty obvious in any competitivve bball setting that the 3ball is important.
My club team there is like 2 of us who shoot around 30%...
The teams we verse will legit double the ball 90% of the time, thus stopping our offence entirely.
DeRozan is a important peice in their offence so he has to buy into the system.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.

Return to Wiretap Discussion