ImageImageImageImageImage

The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,642

Re: The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition 

Post#261 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

but but.....
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,880

Re: RE: Re: The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition 

Post#262 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:07 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Great video HW. You’re still a believer right?

Absolutely. 100%. No doubt about it. Just have a little patience. Frank is going to be fine. It'll be worth the wait imo.

I’m still a believer. I see new things the kid does every game and am looking fwd to when he puts it together.

I’m all about the long game right the next few years

He's already the best defensive PnR guard in the league, but people are claiming that he has no real NBA skill
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#263 » by dakomish23 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:12 pm

GONYK wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Absolutely. 100%. No doubt about it. Just have a little patience. Frank is going to be fine. It'll be worth the wait imo.

I’m still a believer. I see new things the kid does every game and am looking fwd to when he puts it together.

He's already the best defensive PnR guard in the league, but people are claiming that he has no real NBA skill

He’s also shown positive flashes at using the PnR to create for himself or others

I don’t get the hate.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#264 » by Dantares » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:26 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

but but.....

statistical noise like his plus/minus and on and off splits. vallen said he doesn't have an impact on the floor because he can't score, it's true.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#265 » by fatalogic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Dantares wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

but but.....

statistical noise like his plus/minus and on and off splits. vallen said he doesn't have an impact on the floor because he can't score, it's true.

Being an elite defender is not statistical noise. Ask the Thunder what it's like to play without an elite defender. They are a totally different team without Roberson. Frank still has upside to improve his offensive game.
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#266 » by Dantares » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 pm

fatalogic wrote:
Dantares wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

but but.....

Being an elite defender is not statistical noise. Ask the Thunder what it's like to play without an elite defender. They are a totally different team without Roberson. Frank still has upside to improve his offensive game.

I know. i should have used green font.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#267 » by dakomish23 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#268 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:11 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

He’s also shown positive flashes at using the PnR to create for himself or others

I don’t get the hate.

He's already picking up when to go hard to the hoop. He's still a little tentative pull up with his shot. The kid is so damn unselfish ... to a fault.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#269 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:33 pm

GONYK wrote:
levendis wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

lol that's beyond nuts. He's 19... jesus.
And people want to trade him for a late Lottery pick

There are 19 yr olds in the late lottery. Just because a player is Young does not garauntee you he'll be what you believe his potential will be.

In fact you have no idea what his potential should be. So I can't say it's a crazy idea. Do you wake up and say "I must trade this guy"? Maybe not but paint yourself some scenarios.

I'm not an idealist. There's not a single move type that hasn't been done with success or total failure. So no, I don't believe there are rules or things you can't do or always must do in every position. So putting aside your probable rule to never trade 19yr olds let's talk actual names.

Tell me right now. If Young slipped to 9 and then someone told you they'd trade you pick 13 which happens to be Miles Bridges you wouldn't highly consider that for a PG struggling to disti guish himself from Mudiay and Burke, who also may not even end up at PG in two yrs?

Forget, "people wanna trade him for a late lotto pick" and actually think "who would I pick in the late lottery?" I'll let you perform the excersize and you don't even have to share it, but I'm just saying I can probably trust you to find a solid combination with two lottery picks, especially understanding the caveat that currently none of our pgs stand out.

You could make a solid case even if Frank was better than what he is now. So what? I have 3 Pgs and 0 SFs. I'd like to balance out my prospect pool
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#270 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
GONYK wrote:
levendis wrote:
lol that's beyond nuts. He's 19... jesus.
And people want to trade him for a late Lottery pick

There are 19 yr olds in the late lottery. Just because a player is Young does not garauntee you he'll be what you believe his potential will be.

In fact you have no idea what his potential should be. So I can't say it's a crazy idea. Do you wake up and say "I must trade this guy"? Maybe not but paint yourself some scenarios.

I'm not an idealist. There's not a single move type that hasn't been done with success or total failure. So no, I don't believe there are rules or things you can't do or always must do in every position. So putting aside your probable rule to never trade 19yr olds let's talk actual names.

Tell me right now. If Young slipped to 9 and then someone told you they'd trade you pick 13 which happens to be Miles Bridges you wouldn't highly consider that for a PG struggling to disti guish himself from Mudiay and Burke, who also may not even end up at PG in two yrs?

Forget, "people wanna trade him for a late lotto pick" and actually think "who would I pick in the late lottery?" I'll let you perform the excersize and you don't even have to share it, but I'm just saying I can probably trust you to find a solid combination with two lottery picks, especially understanding the caveat that currently none of our pgs stand out.

You could make a solid case even if Frank was better than what he is now. So what? I have 3 Pgs and 0 SFs. I'd like to balance out my prospect pool

Who is talking about potential? Frank is a top defensive PG in the league right now.

I'm not objecting to trading a 19 yr old as a hard and fast rule. I'm objecting to trading a 19 yr old who has already proven to be elite at something very important just for the chance at another 19 yr old.

In terms of actual players in this draft, I think the draft is pretty weak overall outside of the top 5, so I personally would have trouble crafting a scenario where two lotto picks is worth it, over just pairing another young guy with Frank.

In your scenario, if I liked Miles Bridges, I'd just draft him at 9 and call it a day. Pick up a solid PG in the high 2nd round.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#271 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 pm

GONYK wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
GONYK wrote:And people want to trade him for a late Lottery pick

Who is talking about potential? Frank is a top defensive PG in the league right now.

I'm not objecting to trading a 19 yr old as a hard and fast rule. I'm objecting to trading a 19 yr old who has already proven to be elite at something very important just for the chance at another 19 yr old.

In terms of actual players in this draft, I think the draft is pretty weak overall outside of the top 5, so I personally would have trouble crafting a scenario where two lotto picks is worth it, over just pairing another young guy with Frank.

In your scenario, if I liked Miles Bridges, I'd just draft him at 9 and call it a day. Pick up a solid PG in the high 2nd round.

Fair enough, you played along. Nobody is offering a late lottery pick for Frank so it's all fantasy anyway. I'd just hate to do nothing and in a year or two he's being developed at SG, which we're already starting to see, which essentially nullifies this defensive skill you are touting.

Now all of a sudden you've drafted a player with the cieling of Avery Bradley at pic 8
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#272 » by earthmansurfer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:40 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Fair enough, you played along. Nobody is offering a late lottery pick for Frank so it's all fantasy anyway. I'd just hate to do nothing and in a year or two he's being developed at SG, which we're already starting to see, which essentially nullifies this defensive skill you are touting.

Now all of a sudden you've drafted a player with the cieling of Avery Bradley at pic 8

Frank is not being developed as a shooting guard, it appears they are just taking some pressure off him as he develops his handle. And how is his great defense nullified if he plays SG? He can guards who they want him to, just depends on lineup.

Hopefully the 2nd youngest player in the NBA develops already.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#273 » by CharlesOakley » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:51 pm

You guys pretend that the lottery is a sure thing. If you look just at 1st picks in the last 20 years we see, Olowokandi, Kwame Brown, Andrew Bogut, Bargnani, Greg Oden and Anthony Bennett. That is more than 25% busts with the first pick.

We also have too many posters that undervalue the defensive side of the game. Having a 19-year-old who is one of the best on-ball defenders in the game is huge. Defense still wins championships. Assuming that neither his offense nor his defense (?!?!) is going to improve in the next couple of seasons is shockingly stupid.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#274 » by fatalogic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:46 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:You guys pretend that the lottery is a sure thing. If you look just at 1st picks in the last 20 years we see, Olowokandi, Kwame Brown, Andrew Bogut, Bargnani, Greg Oden and Anthony Bennett. That is more than 25% busts with the first pick.

We also have too many posters that undervalue the defensive side of the game. Having a 19-year-old who is one of the best on-ball defenders in the game is huge. Defense still wins championships. Assuming that neither his offense nor his defense (?!?!) is going to improve in the next couple of seasons is shockingly stupid.

On the flip side the Knicks have actually done really well with top 5 picks in the past 25 years the only problem is they have only had 2.I think a lot of people are just tired of losing but also tired of not getting high draft picks. The organization has some strange love for picks 8 - 10 and they never seem to get those picks right. I'm hoping Frank is the one to change that trend though.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#275 » by GONYK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:49 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:You guys pretend that the lottery is a sure thing. If you look just at 1st picks in the last 20 years we see, Olowokandi, Kwame Brown, Andrew Bogut, Bargnani, Greg Oden and Anthony Bennett. That is more than 25% busts with the first pick.

This is nuts to me. People have spent the last 8 years complaining about Felton, Calderon, and Rose being absolute shotgun wounds on the perimeter defensively, and now that we have a kid who is elite at it, it doesn't matter.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#276 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:57 pm

GONYK wrote:

This is nuts to me. People have spent the last 8 years complaining about Felton, Calderon, and Rose being absolute shotgun wounds on the perimeter defensively, and now that we have a kid who is elite at it, it doesn't matter.

Renaldo Balkman and Iman Shumpert were great defenders. You know what happened. I'd like for Frank to develop his offensive game so he doesn't meet the same fate. Thing about defense alone is that no one player can change a teams defense so eventually people start doubting the impact of your only skill

Jared Jeffries was actually a good defender
Balkman was actually a good defender
Shumpert was actually a good defender

They never improved elsewhere and by the time they were gone people started thinking thier defense was even overrated. Kid doesn't have to average 20. But damn, can I get on be single 20pt game to show me he's even capable of it? I think his season high is 13 pts. I've seen guys average 5 pts thier rookie yr but get a 20pt game a few times. Later on they averaged 15-20. It's rare that somebody averages 5 points by literally consistently scoring 5 points every game and then incrementally raises that average. Not to mention his assist totals are non existent too.

What concerns me is this isn't a playoff team where he gets no minutes. He gets a ton of minutes. He's gotta ramp up the aggressiveness.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#277 » by dakomish23 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:38 am

I’ll take that 25% risk all day over living in the mid lottery. Look at all the #1’s in the past 20 years that have lived up to their draft status and even some HOF guys

Duncan
Brand
Yao
Lebron
D12
Rose
Griffin
Wall
Irving
Davis
KAT
Simmons

If you’re in the top 5 for a few years in a row, odds are you’re going to be in the mix to land an all star. Even SAC landed Boogie.

We better hope for a top pick this year. We are utterly devoid of high caliber talent. Not sure there’s a keeper on this roster other than KP & Frank.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#278 » by GONYK » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Renaldo Balkman and Iman Shumpert were great defenders. You know what happened. I'd like for Frank to develop his offensive game so he doesn't meet the same fate. Thing about defense alone is that no one player can change a teams defense so eventually people start doubting the impact of your only skill

They never improved elsewhere and by the time they were gone people started thinking thier defense was even overrated. Kid doesn't have to average 20. But damn, can I get on be single 20pt game to show me he's even capable of it? I think his season high is 13 pts. I've seen guys average 5 pts thier rookie yr but get a 20pt game a few times. Later on they averaged 15-20. It's rare that somebody averages 5 points by literally consistently scoring 5 points every game and then incrementally raises that average. Not to mention his assist totals are non existent too.

What concerns me is this isn't a playoff team where he gets no minutes. He gets a ton of minutes. He's gotta ramp up the aggressiveness.

Jeffries was 21 when he entered the league
Shump was 21
Balkman was 22

Frank is doing this at 19, and he's showed plenty of flashes as a PG as well. He has been an impact player in a bunch of games for us this season.

I totally agree that he needs to ramp up his aggressiveness, but I think we have a few seasons before it's time to worry. Especially if he physically matures to where Shump was at 21. He's already more aggressive now that he was a month ago.

I agree it would be nice if Frank got 20, but I can name a few young guys who dropped 20+ in their rookie seasons, and now are out of the league entirely.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#279 » by NY2TheBay » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jrue, that dance isnt the best look. But if youre having fun, get it.
iCallBankshot
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#280 » by iCallBankshot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:16 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Most of us agree Frank needs to rank up the aggressiveness but, haven't we seen an improvement in him learning when to shoot vs. pass and pick his spots? That's why Frank honestly needs 35 minutes a game rest of season but ya know, Jeff is our coach. Still, I'm encouraged because I can name zero facets of Franks offensive fundamentals that look to be completely broken. I think the kid has a solid foundation, brings elite defense and is a physical freak who's only going to get stronger and taller.

Return to New York Knicks