ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#321 » by BKAY » Thu Mar 8, 2018 4:57 pm

The Rangers are not making the playoffs. If the Rangers make the playoffs then AV truly is an amazing coach. Our best player is who? Zucc, Kreider? Not really looking like a team that will jump from the last spot in the Metro division to playoffs.

We have 10(!). 10. 10 picks in this years draft. 3! in the first round. No need to freak out about where they land with their own first pick this year. Plus 9 picks next year and possibly another first rounder if TB wins the Cup this year or next.

Rangers aren't done dealing. I see them making a solid push at moving up in the draft for a top 3. The amount of picks they have is almost overkill considering they do have a solid amount of prospects nearly ready to make the jump to the NHL.

Future is bright. We could see 4-5 first round picks on the rangers or in the system. Probably at least one more big trade. The arrival of Shestyorkin. Rangers have everything they need for a good rebuild.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#322 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 9, 2018 12:58 am

The Tampa Bay Lightning put up 2 quick goals on 11 shots...as for the Rangers, they haven't delivered a shot on goal, yet.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#323 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 9, 2018 3:35 am

Rangers rally stopped just short, Lightning win 5-3.

Boy, penny for the thoughts on: Ryan Callahan, Girardi, Mcdonagh, and JT Miller.

Essentially GM and Red Wing great, Steve Yzerman raided all the gritty players from the Rangers to compliment his big, fast scoring lines. The result? A team that could contend for multiple Cups in the next 3-5 yrs.

Meanwhile, undersized but speedy Ryan Spooner is making a statement (1 goal, 2 assists). He's a FA and a huge threat to the Rangers gorgeous amount of cap space. Why? Vigneault is a fool for small forwards.

Still, Spooner pulled off a feat not seen all season. He conjured the invisible man, Mats Zuccarello who scored his 11th goal.

I think it's safe to say, the defensive core of the Rangers is in shambles. O'Gara is horrible.

The one redeeming quality, Kevin Hayes is having a great season. Outside of Buchnevich, he's one of the few bright spots on the Rangers.

Side note: NO ONE owns Lundquist unlike the Lighting.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#324 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:35 am

Rangers drop one in Florida, 4-3 SO loss.

I'm assuming one or some of these 14 defensive prospects are going to show something at sometime...next year. For now, the Knicks might actually have better defense than the Rangers. O'Gara is going to be released as the season ends. Gilmour is good offensively but a green light defensively. There's really nothing to talk about other than Spooner who is a FA is looking to fleece someone. He's another scoring center who is great offensively but a liability defensively.

March 30th. McDonagh back in NY as a TB Lightning. Emotions will be HIGH.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#325 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 am

Ran my Ranger record to 7-1 at the Garden after they defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 6-3. Vesey had a hat trick, his third coming in the form of an empty netter. Three quick observations:

1. Gilmour, O'Gara, DeAngelo...not seeing it. Slow. Horrific defensive awareness. Horrible puck handling skills. 'Canes nearly outshot the Rangers 2:1. Marc Staal is the unsung hero with SEVEN blocked shots. Also, Namestnikov was "meh." Rumors this guy was dressed up by Yzerman because he was surrounded by top talent. Sounds about right. I was not impressed.

2. Offense looks like garbage. The Vigneault offense is quick, precise passing that will elicit a reaction from the defense that will open up a lane to shoot. This is ONLY if every player is on the same page and the offense is second hand nature. It's not for this group and it won't be next season because the Rangers will have a face lift. You could tell AV streamlined the plays because when the Rangers were just attacking the net, THAT'S when they scored.

3. Carolina bullied the smallish Rangers forwards but Buchnevich was the unsung hero. You can't find his jersey being sold at the Garden...but Vesey is there.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#326 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:20 am

I was in attendance tonight, Rangers vs the Pittsburgh Penguins. What a game!

This game had it all. 1st Period the Rangers kept the Pens scoreless but the game was already tilting in favor of the Pens because Pittsburgh does what it does best, it wears out their opponent chasing them up and down the ice rink. Spooner, Vesey and all these undersized forwards were exhausted and barely made their presence known.

In the second period, the Pens raced out 2-0 lead. Pens fans were rubbing it in the face of the Ranger fans.

Drunken Pens female: Donald Trump said this is a free country, so I can stand when I want. (obscuring Ranger fans view)

Sober male Ranger fan: Trump also said, grab 'em by the pussy. Just saying!

Third period, the Rangers STOP overpassing...and they get 2 goals on the power play. Kreider the main catalyst with other Rangers providing the deflections for goals.

STRANGEST rule: Goalie accidently knocks the goalpost from the moorings a penalty shot was awarded to the Pens because it was within 2 minutes of the period.

OT begins and the RAngers complete the upset.

I am 8-1 for the season!!!
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#327 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:09 am

For one night, I could forget about the tank and enjoy beating the Pens....
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#328 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pm

BlueShirtBanter is reporting the Rangers are VERY intersted in signing Erik Karlsson and old man, Ilya Kovalchuk this Summer. *face palm*

1. Yes, the Rangers need DEFENSE and Leadership. Oh that's right, they traded away their captain. Karlsson is looking for PK Subban money, somewhere between $10-11M PER season. That would fill up all the space the Rangers have after their house cleaning.

Um, Gorton did you know this upcoming draft is DEEP in defensemen? :lol:

2. Ilya Kovalchuk will be 35 yrs old and was last seen asking for money on the streets of Moscow. The Rangers can sign him to a decent offer and he'll serve as a mentor to Buchnevich. Not a bad idea, so long as it's a 1-2 year deal. THAT'S it.

The disturbing part of the article that it never discussed is how clueless the Rangers looked out there, passing back and forth. Against the Pens in the 1st period, they wasted 1 min 30 secs on a power play passing it to each other. NOT ONE SHOT on goal. UGH. The rally started when the Rangers just started driving to the net, camping around the goalie for redirections.

The trend of the NHL is no more cute crap. PURE athleticism and size.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#329 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Well this win streak has dropped the NY Rangers to 10th spot. Still, they have more than enough extra draft picks to move up and get their "go-to" guy such as 6'3" Brady Tkachuk, son of Keith Tkachuk. THAT's the monster the Rangers need to screen the goaltender and fight for the goal on a rebound. Again, Gorton MUST not be complacent. You need first line guys...

BTW all those young guys they called up, not one of them are keepers. Good lord, just mediocrity.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#330 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:58 am

Forgot to Update: Shattenkirk's knee is barking. Rangers are delaying his comeback (probably last game of the season vs the Isles).

Update: AV is not going anywhere. He's owed $4M per season with 2 years left.

Talk that the Rangers traded might come back when FA hits at a reduced salary...

I actually think it's 50/50 that Nash comes back at a reduced salary.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#331 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:30 am

Tough OT loss for the Rangers, ending their 2 game win streak. Since coming back from blood clot and hip surgery, Kreider has been on FIRE. He factored in on every goal vs the Pens and he puts up another 2 assists, feeding Mika Zibanejad. When Fast is healthy, the second line forwards are clicking. Scary when Shattenkirk is healthy and back on the second line.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#332 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:04 am

Is Ty Ronning the real deal? Undersized forward 5'7" (5'9" listing is generous) but a scoring machine in the minors...he has SIXTY-ONE goals in 70 games. Wow.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#333 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Strangely enough, the Rangers who traded away 3 of their best players are above last place, Islanders...whom they play on the LAST game of the season. Rangers are also 2 points from ascending Carolina.

Tonight, they have Henrik in goal.

Maybe winning too much?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#334 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:46 am

IF you don't think John Tortorella doesn't OWN Henrik Lundquist and the NY Rangers, know it from watching tonight's loss. 1st Period, the Rangers were sloppy and sleep walking. Pionk and Spooner were spent with 5 min left in the period.

Trust me as a guy who played hockey with his friends up until college, size is a huge advantage in stride and reach. Blue Jackets were just as fast if not quicker than the undersized Rangers.

Since his hot start, Spooner has been pretty quiet in the last few games.

The back breaker was the save Henrik made but he didn't cover up. The Bluejackets didn't hear the whistle and flicked the puck in with the Rangers standing around.

From that point on, the Bluejackets had the advantage.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#335 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:06 am

Rangers drop their third straight game, this time on the road against the Philadelphia Flyers. Good lord, after the Super Bowl win this bitter town of bricks must be drunk on power.

Want to talk about what's working with the Rangers...

1. Could a "new" Ryan be the Future Captain of the NY Rangers?

Defenseman, Ryan Lindgren was part of the Rick Nash trade. The thing I like about this 20 year old kid is the fact, he can HIT. Fast forward the youtube video to 5:00 mark. Those hits are teeth shattering. He's 6'0" tall but he's got a wide stocky body with a low center of gravity. This IS the guy that the NY Rangers could pair with big, rugged Center, Brett Howden on the checking line.

2. Libor Hajek might be the most "ready" of the talented prospect trio (Filip Chytil and Lias Andersson) who can play point on the power play

Defenseman Libor Hajek is 6'2" monster who has "Lidstrom" skill running the point on the power play. That's what's missing on the Rangers. I was watching Pionk and other Ranger defenseman trying to run the point on the blue line...good lord, they couldn't handle a pass if it was hand delivered. This kid knows how to make decisions and move the puck around, something Vinneault loves.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#336 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers drop their third straight game, this time on the road against the Philadelphia Flyers. Good lord, after the Super Bowl win this bitter town of bricks must be drunk on power.

Want to talk about what's working with the Rangers...

1. Could a "new" Ryan be the Future Captain of the NY Rangers?

Defenseman, Ryan Lindgren was part of the Rick Nash trade. The thing I like about this 20 year old kid is the fact, he can HIT. Fast forward the youtube video to 5:00 mark. Those hits are teeth shattering. He's 6'0" tall but he's got a wide stocky body with a low center of gravity. This IS the guy that the NY Rangers could pair with big, rugged Center, Brett Howden on the checking line.

2. Libor Hajek might be the most "ready" of the talented prospect trio (Filip Chytil and Lias Andersson) who can play point on the power play

Defenseman Libor Hajek is 6'2" monster who has "Lidstrom" skill running the point on the power play. That's what's missing on the Rangers. I was watching Pionk and other Ranger defenseman trying to run the point on the blue line...good lord, they couldn't handle a pass if it was hand delivered. This kid knows how to make decisions and move the puck around, something Vinneault loves.

What are your thoughts on Pionk? I know he's on an impressive point streak, something not done by a defensemen since Leetch. I'd be the first to admit that I haven't watched that past few games.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#337 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:37 am

Pionk is nice offensively but he gets outmuscled and caught napping defensively.

I was at the Columbus Bluejackets game, they outhustled, shoved him around at ease. It was so bad, Henrik didn’t trust him to pick up the puck before the Blue Jackets were on his butt and that’s how Henrik got hurt.

Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#338 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:42 am

Rangers running all over Buffalo. Fantasy Stats for EVERYONE!!!!!!

This is the kind of game I don't like because it doesn't give any accurate indication of how good a player is or can be.

The one thing I think, intersting...Ryan Spooner has gone silent for the better part of a week. That's good news because the Rangers don't need to get any smaller with the trend in the NHL finding guys the size of Mario Lemieux and waiting for their skills to develop.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#339 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Last night makes me wonder, should the Rangers trade Kreisler and Zuccarello? You still need vets. And if the Rangers are sticking with AV as coach, you need guys who know the system as the call ups continue.

I still say between the Giants, Jets, Isles, Knicks, Nets...the Rangers are CLOSEST to the Yankees in turns of a quick rebuild/retool.

Boatload of prospects
13M under the cap
Bunch of picks
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#340 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Chytil and Andersson have been called up to the Rangers. Dammit. Capitals game or MGMT. :banghead:

Return to New York Knicks