ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#341 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Chytil and Andersson have been called up to the Rangers. Dammit. Capitals game or MGMT. :banghead:

Howden has been looking good as well, scored two goals the other day.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#342 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:36 am

I have a good feeling, next season the Rangers are going to have a season similar to the NY Yankees last season where no one expected the young talent to mature this quickly and you’re going to see all the experience these young kids are getting to prepare them for the off-season where they’ll work on their game.

I am just hoping the Rangers trade up in the draft and get at least ONE go-to guy who will be the face and future of the organization.

Free Agency can go either way. They don’t have to go crazy. I like one year deals.

They are loaded with talent, it’s just a matter of fitting the pieces to the appropriate line.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#343 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I have a good feeling, next season the Rangers are going to have a season similar to the NY Yankees last season where no one expected the young talent to mature this quickly and you’re going to see all the experience these young kids are getting to prepare them for the off-season where they’ll work on their game.

I am just hoping the Rangers trade up in the draft and get at least ONE go-to guy who will be the face and future of the organization.

Free Agency can go either way. They don’t have to go crazy. I like one year deals.

They are loaded with talent, it’s just a matter of fitting the pieces to the appropriate line.

What changed? I feel like you did a complete 180 from a few weeks ago. Like I said all along, the Rangers aren't undergoing a five year retool. There's a ton of talent on the roster already and the farm is loaded.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#344 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:What changed? I feel like you did a complete 180 from a few weeks ago. Like I said all along, the Rangers aren't undergoing a five year retool. There's a ton of talent on the roster already and the farm is loaded.

I've always like the position the Rangers are in. I have NOT been a huge fan of the Rangers' trades in terms of what they got back.

Well, I still don't care for Ryan Spooner who has almost completely disappeared after a brief point streak immediately after the trade. I think Namestnikov has been exposed as a product of the Lightning's awesome lines. He's been average at best. I really don't think the Rangers needed a mediocre stone on skates like O'Gara because they already have over a dozen defensive prospects so why bother?

As for the call ups, Gilmour has been terrible. Sloppy work has led to odd man rushes the other way. DeAngelo and Kampfer hasn't been much better. Centermen Desharnais, Carey, Holland have all been "meh."

Pionk has been the lone bright spot on defense BUT...BUT he's great offensively but limited defensively. He does not possess "intercept speed." In other words, against the Bluejackets they picked his pocket a couple of times and took off the other way and Pionk couldn't catch him to save his life. He's average 6' 0" and was manhandled by the taller, faster, bigger but LESSER talented Bluejackets.

What I DO like the about the NY Rangers, they NOW have the #3 and #4 lines with much better quality. They're still average but DEEPER.

Line #2

LW Kreider, C ZIBANEJAD, RW Fast: Arguably the most productive line but Mika is not a first line center. He gets hurt a lot but when he's healthy, he's amazing. Against the Pens, AV noticing that the Pens destroyed his game plans down 1-3, put Mika's line out against the Pens 2nd line and the Rangers rallied and WON.

Line #3

LW Vesey, C Hayes, RW ZUCCARELLO: Hayes has been the breakout player. He's 6'5" and always being aggressive. Still not sure about Vesey. He's a good kid but again, easily screened and pretty meh defensively. Zucc has been consistently a pest for the opposition but next season is he on his way out?

Line #4

LW "stooge du jour" C NAMESTNIKOV, RW Buchnevich: This is why I am convinced Buchnevich will be moved. He's a great, aggressive young player who worked well with Hayes and Mika. Now, he's been dropped to 4th and put with his "buddy Russian." The production has declined as of late.

Now, AV has shook up those lines to insert Centers Chytil and Andersson. Yes, the Rangers will get better but it's NOT going to be any of the names the Rangers got in those deals but the ones they got in the last draft. One can only hope they can ascend and get the 1-2 "Go to" guys that will make them elite again.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#345 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Addendum:

Also dying to see defenseman Ryan Lundgren get the call up. Let’s get some D that hits?

And Ty Ronning who is this alleged Scoring Machine but incredibly undersized.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#346 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:52 pm

Less than 5 min in the game, the Caps race out 2-0 lead. Sorry AV, that first line is not a real first line.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#347 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:40 am

4-0 Caps end of 1st. Yup. Welcome to the NHL, Chytill and Andersson.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#348 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:03 am

Right now the NY Rangers are getting a reality check:

1. That first line isn’t a real first line. More like 2nd or 3rd.

2. Size matters

3. Too small a sample size for the kids.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#349 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:11 am

Andersson scored a goal, first in hopefully a long line of many.
Chytil gets an assist.

Two new guys getting their first points in the NHL.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#350 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:11 am

Definitely. Hints at the future. I am salivating at seeing Ryan Lundgren getting the call up. The defense desperately NEEDS a hitter. A guy with a high hockey IQ who can lead and punish.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#351 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Updates!

Defenseman Shattenkirk is out for the season.

G Lundqvist is in danger of not getting getting 30 wins for the first time in 11 seasons.

Rangers in Washington for Round 2.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#352 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:55 am

Rangers defenseman Pionk failed to move the Caps forward parked in front of Lundqvist and just like that it’s over.

Watch that play, Pionk fell to his knees and just stayed there out of breathe.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#353 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 am

Rangers demolished by the Lightning 2-7. I’m hoping at least 2 out of the 14 defensive prospects Gorton either received in trades, picks, or past drafts pan out.

It was just embarrassing.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#354 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:57 am

If the Isles and Blackhawks win a damn game, the Rangers will have the 4th chance to land #1 pick. For now they have the 6th best chance IF the standings hold another week.

Should the Rangers draft offense? Defense?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#355 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:If the Isles and Blackhawks win a damn game, the Rangers will have the 4th chance to land #1 pick. For now they have the 6th best chance IF the standings hold another week.

Should the Rangers draft offense? Defense?

Dahlin should probably be the only defensemen we draft, though from the sound of it there's not a chance the top pick overall is getting drafted. He's being called a generational talent and a can't miss prospect, he's out produced Hedman/Karlsson at similar ages and what not. So unless we win the lotto there's not a chance we go after a defensemen IMO.

I mean you can look at any mock draft, there are plenty of wingers/centers going in the top ten. Obviously I can't tell you a damn thing about any of these guys because I don't follow it at all but it appears regardless of where the Rangers end up their going to be in position to land an exciting prospect. Having two other first's is just icing on the cake, we have the draft capital so I do hope we identify guys we like and get aggressive in moving up.

Chytil scored his first goal in the massacre, while nothing impressive he at least showed some good awareness in tracking the puck off the wall and got his first one. Just days after Andersson, the kids are showing something.

We still haven't seen Hajek and Rykov who are supposed to be the guys we're counting on. Andersson and Chytil looking solid and Howden will probably be here next year. Next year Shattenkirk, Skjei, Staal, Pionk etc we will have some serious trade bait and competition for our three lines on defense.

If Shestyorkin is the real deal, man the Rangers are loaded with talent. This team needed to retool, to me they did a good job doing that. They weren't going anywhere with the way the roster was constructed.

If they could land a Tavares, Van Riemsdyk, Kane or Stone those are four guys that would all fit with the core.

RFA's: Possible first round picks/picks for Hayes, Vesey, Spooner, Namestnikov if we don't bring them back. Maybe we give up those two late first round picks for what looks like a super talented class of restricted free agents... William Karlsson, Jason Zucker, Anthony Mantha, Sam Reinhart, Tomas Hertl, Brock Nelson, Mattias Janmark, Max Domi, William Nylander and many more.

To me the flexibility the Rangers have in this offseason is impressive. Gorton to me will make or break this team for the immediate future, I think he put us in position to knock it out the park.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#356 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 1, 2018 6:46 pm

After last night's win against Carolina, the Rangers chances of ascending to 4th best chance of landing #1 took a serious hit. I dunno what's going to happen. There's word Gorton isn't done dismantling the NY Rangers, which I don't think he should do. Obviously he has some impending FAs, that he should trade.

The thing about these call ups, they haven't translated into more wins or anything eye popping. So far the call ups have been average from defensive stand point.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#357 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:14 pm

If the NY Rangers choose to release their restricted free agents, it will give the Rangers $24,125,556 in cap space. Here are the sacrifices:

Spooner, Ryan (C, LW): After a brief spurt, he has had 1 point in last 7 games. Undersized. Not a difference maker.
Hayes, Kevin (C): Brilliant scorer on the penalty kill. Arguably the best Ranger. Definitely most consistent. Must re-sign.
Namestnikov, Vladislav (C, LW): Dropped him to the 4th line. Product of playing on Tampa's top lines.
Vesey, Jimmy (LW): Tallies less than 20 goals/season. Good kid but...can the Rangers keep playing a kid who doesn't produce?
O'Gara, Rob (D): Completely useless. Goodbye.
Skjei, Brady (D): All stats are down. Good kid. Age 24. Could re-sign for 2 seasons.
Gilmour, John (D): Terrible. Get out.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#358 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:20 pm

Rangers get sha-lacked by the NJ Devils 2-5. This game was over VERY early as the Devils raced out to a 3-0 lead before they put in the bench warmers. Spooner and Hayes with the only goals in a meaningless game for the Rangers, or is it?

If the Blackhawks beat the Blues...

If the Oilers beat the Golden Knights (who have nothing to lose)...

IF the Rangers lose to the NY Islanders...

They could move up 3 spots.

Many, many questions will be raised in the off-season. What pieces are a part of the Rangers future? What free agents do the Rangers go after? What happens in the draft? A LOT of things to discuss.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#359 » by BadNewsBarnes » Wed Apr 4, 2018 5:11 pm

This season can't end soon enough...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#360 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 5, 2018 12:26 am

I’m going to the game tomorrow. Not sure how I should root. Hate the Isles but Rangers need to lose in order to win.

Return to New York Knicks