ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#361 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:58 am

Blackhawks win. 3 teams are ONE point behind the Rangers with 2 games left in the season.

Tonight Isles vs Rangers. I’ll be there. Isles own AV and this Ranger team. Should be interesting.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#362 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Apr 5, 2018 10:08 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Blackhawks win. 3 teams are ONE point behind the Rangers with 2 games left in the season.

Tonight Isles vs Rangers. I’ll be there. Isles own AV and this Ranger team. Should be interesting.

That Tavares guy would sure look good in a Ranger jersey...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#363 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 5, 2018 1:45 pm

That’s the key. Tavares is in his prime. He is the perfect centerpiece on the first line. He’s also the kind of player that would make a guy like Karleson say, interesting.

Lines 2-4 fall into place.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#364 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:05 am

Rangers lose, or did they?

Isles drop behind the Rangers. If Chicago and Edmonton win their last game, the Rangers have the 6th best shot at the #1 pick.

Few things:

1:Chytil is the real deal. On the face-offs he was smoking the Isles. Good anticipation and body language. Not afraid to crash the net.

2. Name-Stank-ov sucks. When Buchnevich was back on the Hayes & Mika line was when the Rangers were at their best.

3. The defense is atrocious. I can’t even begin to describe the horror that was the second period. The Rangers outshot the Isles 2:1 and yet, simple stuff like staying with your man, finishing your check...too small, too slow.

4. At the risk of being unpopular, Time to say goodbye to Vesey, O’Gara, Spooner...brings a big zero to the table.

Lastly the Isles fans said goodbye to Tavares.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#365 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:13 am

Btw if the Rangers can get as high as #3 I would be estatic. Tkchuk would be amazing.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,291

Post#366 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Apr 6, 2018 4:35 am

Tavares stays put. Isles beat a Rangers again. I win 20 bucks!! Boom!! Going to Sizzler!!!
:beer: RIP mags
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#367 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 6, 2018 5:33 am

How is Tavares staying put? The Isles didn't move anyone, they have so many guaranteed contracts, and Tavares is not taking a discount.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#368 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Apr 7, 2018 1:27 pm

Blackhawks got beat by the Blues. Still ONE point behind the Rangers. Hawks play the Winnipeg Jets today. All the Rangers need is an overtime loss to tie.

Oilers play the Canucks, should win...that would move the Rangers up to 8th best chance in the lottery.

I think if the Rangers can get to #7, they can mortgage the 7th, another first rounder and second rounder for a shot at Tkachuk.

Gorton has to realize he NEEDS a blue chipper.

At the game vs the Isles, it's CLEAR Lias Andersson needs work...A LOT of work. Really, really piss poor getting back on defense. Almost lazy out there. Chytil is REALLY good.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#369 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 8, 2018 1:58 am

Damn. Hawks win. Best the Rangers can hope is 8th IF Edmonton wins.

Rangers having Knick luck.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#370 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 8, 2018 9:03 am

Oilers win. Rangers enter the lottery #8...May fortune favor the foolish.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#371 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 8, 2018 9:45 am

Holy sh#%! AV is gone!
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#372 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Apr 8, 2018 1:54 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:

Holy sh#%! AV is gone!

Wow...that didn't take long.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#373 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 8, 2018 2:10 pm

The Rangers ate $8M over the next two years. Unlike the NBA, the NHL seldom does stuff like that, with money owed. That means, GM Gorton HAS a concrete plan. I'm fascinated to see who he drafts, signs as a FA, and hires as a coach.

Brave new world...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#374 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:18 am

I got itchy scalp, just thinking about how GM Gorton is going to draft and bring FAs to the Rangers.

First off, just wanted to say NONE of the 14 defensive prospects (so far) that the Rangers have, belong on a first line. Against the Isles, once again the Isles bullied Pionk. He's lucky he doesn't get called for more penalties. Basically a small guy is easy to shadow and do illegal punches, grabs, hits, and spearing. Sure Pionk is nice offensively but skates backwards HORRIBLY. High hockey IQ but there's a reason why "athletics" comes from the body and good genes.

I have hopes Lundgren can be a great defenseman because he has something the Rangers have lacked: HITTING. A physical guy who has the size, speed, and mass to put a hurting on a Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin. Again, the NHL is a beast to play in.

Goodbye Vesey, Spooner, and all the small-ish forwards that were just outplayed. You can also move "Name-STANK-ov" because he was a big ZERO without the Lightning's top scorers.

Basically Gorton has picks. We'll see how he uses them.

As for coaches, it'll be very interesting to see who he hires. You need a guy who can teach.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#375 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Apr 9, 2018 1:48 pm

Rumor reported that the NY Rangers are close to signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a roughly $6M/2-3 season. Won't be official until after July 1st. Kovalchuk was playing over in Russia, guess he misses a US pay cheque. He's 34 now. He was a scoring machine with the Thrashers. Not sure what he has left.

I hope Gorton has more creativity in mind.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#376 » by NYKHardKnock » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:13 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rumor reported that the NY Rangers are close to signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a roughly $6M/2-3 season. Won't be official until after July 1st. Kovalchuk was playing over in Russia, guess he misses a US pay cheque. He's 34 now. He was a scoring machine with the Thrashers. Not sure what he has left.

He probably has his best season with SKA this season in terms of goals. He's still got it, he's still a star player. I can see a 30-30 season easily. I'd love to see Chytil and Kovalchuk together. Probably means Zucc is gone as well.

I think it's a move where if who ever we sign as a coach and if we could solidify the defense, we could compete, if not, we can deal Kovalchuk at the TDL and get a lot in return and go on with the rebuild
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#377 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:46 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rumor reported that the NY Rangers are close to signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a roughly $6M/2-3 season. Won't be official until after July 1st. Kovalchuk was playing over in Russia, guess he misses a US pay cheque. He's 34 now. He was a scoring machine with the Thrashers. Not sure what he has left.

Russian league is very competitive and the players usually translate fairly well. So not the worst signing at that price. He was a good NHL player so worth a shot to see if he has something left.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#378 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:51 pm

I agree. I think Kovalchuk is still a quality pure scorer, mentor to Chytil and Buchnevich. I hesitate to say, Swedes and Russians congregate let alone get alone.

Lias Andersson will be mentored by fellow Swede Lundqvist and Nordic neighbor, Zuccarello. BTW watching Andersson live, I gotta say, he's horrific and lazy getting back on defense. Hopefully he's more into the game next season.

Chytil is amazing. He knows how to play and he's really good on the face off. He frustrated the hell out of the Isles winning 3/4.

Now, the Rangers need first line defense BADLY...I mean, REALLY REALLY badly. Please bring Lundgren up. ANYONE who can throw a check.

Finally Gorton BETTER go all out and get that in this draft. Don't get a "maybe" that's the stupid Knicks. Get your MAN. I don't care if it's defense or offense but it has to be a "Go-to" stud.

Right now, of the 14 defensive prospects, only TWO look like they can play in the NHL.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#379 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:49 pm

Not going to lie, this to me is wonderful news in us linked to Kovalchuk. He could be our go to scorer, this is hockey, 35 isn't THAT old. With that being said, the pipe dream of Tavares probably ends but hey we can still hope.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#380 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Kovalchuk is a 6'3" RW monster. That's exactly what the Rangers need now that Rick Nash is gone to Boston. BTW there's a rumor Nash
might come back for a short-term deal.

And if they get Tavares...goodness.

Let's talk about the Rangers hugest need: Defense.

This season only TWO Rangers had a Plus +/-...

Staal +11
Hayes +1

Every one else was heavy in the negative which tells us a couple things:

1. Rangers forwards are not contributing on the other end.

2. NONE of the 14 Rangers defensive prospects, some of which were called up...are ready for the NHL.

Hence, the Rangers might consider packaging their embarrassment of picks to get the once in a generation defenseman especially if you have a Kovalchuk signed.

Return to New York Knicks