ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,949

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#2601 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:32 am

In this day and age, workhorses rarely exist anymore. The days of guys like Verlander, Sale, Scherzer etc are over. A lot of pitchers are flash in the pans these days. One day your Dontrelle Willis, the D Train and the next day your the answer to remember that Marlin pitcher? You need to prove your worth over the course of a couple years before your not considered a flash in the pan.

A lot of pitchers in baseball have filthy stuff. Severino still has to prove he can be that durable pitcher year in and year out. Look at someone like Pineda, filthy stuff but didn't know how to harness it. Severino has all the tools to be an ace, he's coming off a 14-6 year so lets pump the brakes on him being the worlds most amazing pitcher just yet. Like I said, I like him a lot but NY especially is just so damn quick to anoint the next coming.

So with that being said, lets make this thread about the Mets again and keep the damn Yankees out of it.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#2602 » by reub » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 am

:D
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#2603 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 am

reub wrote:Hey Mecca, what's the score in the Yankee game tonight?

Can you both PLEASE keep your trolling in your own PM's?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#2604 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:44 am

Manhattan Project wrote:In this day and age, workhorses rarely exist anymore. The days of guys like Verlander, Sale, Scherzer etc are over. A lot of pitchers are flash in the pans these days. One day your Dontrelle Willis, the D Train and the next day your the answer to remember that Marlin pitcher? You need to prove your worth over the course of a couple years before your not considered a flash in the pan.

A lot of pitchers in baseball have filthy stuff. Severino still has to prove he can be that durable pitcher year in and year out. Look at someone like Pineda, filthy stuff but didn't know how to harness it. Severino has all the tools to be an ace, he's coming off a 14-6 year so lets pump the brakes on him being the worlds most amazing pitcher just yet. Like I said, I like him a lot but NY especially is just so damn quick to anoint the next coming.

So with that being said, lets make this thread about the Mets again and keep the damn Yankees out of it.

To a similar extent, we can talk about Harvey and (hopefully not) Thor.
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,949

Post#2605 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:To a similar extent, we can talk about Harvey and (hopefully not) Thor.

Absolutely, it's amazing how quick the entire staff was anointed the Four Aces. With our pitchers though you can look at injuries and blame them for derailment. Harvey obviously has gone through a whole lot with his surgeries and is working his way back. Thor to me is going to be fine, he's just an absolute freak of nature.

Look at someone like Kluber, sometimes it just takes on pitch to reinvent your entire career. Met fans know the story of Dickey and all of a sudden we had a CY Young award winner on our hands. To have a pitcher that's consistently filthy year in and year out is so damn rare these days. It's why I appreciate what the likes of Kershaw, Sale, Schrezer, Verlander etc have done with consistency. Now a days a 4 ERA while going 6 innings is a quality start, I have that old school mentality when it comes to baseball. A ton of pitchers have the potential to be great, just in today's baseball it's hard for them to break through.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#2606 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:25 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:To a similar extent, we can talk about Harvey and (hopefully not) Thor.

Absolutely, it's amazing how quick the entire staff was anointed the Four Aces. With our pitchers though you can look at injuries and blame them for derailment. Harvey obviously has gone through a whole lot with his surgeries and is working his way back. Thor to me is going to be fine, he's just an absolute freak of nature.

Look at someone like Kluber, sometimes it just takes on pitch to reinvent your entire career. Met fans know the story of Dickey and all of a sudden we had a CY Young award winner on our hands. To have a pitcher that's consistently filthy year in and year out is so damn rare these days. It's why I appreciate what the likes of Kershaw, Sale, Schrezer, Verlander etc have done with consistency. Now a days a 4 ERA while going 6 innings is a quality start, I have that old school mentality when it comes to baseball. A ton of pitchers have the potential to be great, just in today's baseball it's hard for them to break through.

IMO the rules just don't favor it. Baseball needs an overhaul regarding cap so perhaps they would have more investment in longevity. You may care more about ruining you 5 million dollar young pitcher rather than you 500k young pitcher.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,444

Post#2607 » by NYKnickerbocker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 am

crazy, none of our starters have had a dominant game at all, **** degrom and thor have been kinda mediocre for their standards, and were still 10-1.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#2608 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 am

NYKnickerbocker wrote:crazy, none of our starters have had a dominant game at all, **** degrom and thor have been kinda mediocre for their standards, and were still 10-1.

Not gonna lie, in Thor's case it has me a little shook because he hasn't been dominant in like a year. On the other hand, I have to remind myself he is basically still on the come back from injury. You don't miss 90% of a season like he did and show up in god mod. Took actual Thor like 2 movies to get back his powers!
Lotsix
Rookie
And1: 287

Post#2609 » by Lotsix » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:47 am

Within the next 3 starts the top 3 will be in a groove, the wildcards are wheeler and matz. Wheeler looked filthy his first start, 2 hits in 7IP. This Mets team get the game to the 6th with a lead and it might very well be over with the guys in the pen.
KennySkyWalker
Senior
And1: 200

Post#2610 » by KennySkyWalker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 am

NYKnickerbocker wrote:crazy, none of our starters have had a dominant game at all, **** degrom and thor have been kinda mediocre for their standards, and were still 10-1.

Perhaps the plan is to not dominate, instead they are pitching to contact more often. With our improved defense it is best not to hurt your arm trying to blow it by everyone. I'm a HUGE fan of good fielding all-around the diamond and I could never understand how Sandy kept putting together teams based on top tier pitching but with a terrible defense. Finally we have a team where the defense is solid and we have a very nice bullpen to come in to give our starters a break.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#2611 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:19 am

I think Wheeler had a dominant performance Wednesday night against the Fish. 7 innings, 2 hits, 1 run, 1BB, 9 Ks? Something like that. Funny, he's the only one who's gone 7 innings. None of the others have.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2612 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:22 am

KennySkyWalker wrote:

Perhaps the plan is to not dominate, instead they are pitching to contact more often. With our improved defense it is best not to hurt your arm trying to blow it by everyone. I'm a HUGE fan of good fielding all-around the diamond and I could never understand how Sandy kept putting together teams based on top tier pitching but with a terrible defense. Finally we have a team where the defense is solid and we have a very nice bullpen to come in to give our starters a break.

From what I understand about Calloway, he preaches the use of curveballs more often. That's what they did in Cleveland. Maybe that has something to do with it. Though I have to believe that once the weather breaks, Noah will loosen up and start mowing them down at a much greater pace.
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,642

Post#2613 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:37 pm

and it begins..

TDA most likely with Tommy John

Plawecki with a broke hand

got to make a trade right? Just hard to make deals this early.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,526

Post#2614 » by Lord Commander » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:49 pm

mpharris36 wrote:and it begins..

Wouldn’t mind picking up Realmuto, but the cost will be too high
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#2615 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Lord Commander wrote:

yeah the marlins probably would want wheeler/matz and dominic smith or something like that. JT is good but he aint that good.

Probably makes sense to take more of a vet approach. I would love to get my hands on Salvador Perez or someone like that if we were willing to take on some of his contract. More likely someone like Lucroy makes sense.

ROSTER

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#2616 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:In this day and age, workhorses rarely exist anymore. The days of guys like Verlander, Sale, Scherzer etc are over. A lot of pitchers are flash in the pans these days. One day your Dontrelle Willis, the D Train and the next day your the answer to remember that Marlin pitcher? You need to prove your worth over the course of a couple years before your not considered a flash in the pan.

Jesus MP, poor post. You just used W-L as your driving point when baseball circles don’t even care about it as it’s based upon luck. Also, when did Pineda get CY Young votes??? Never.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,526

Post#2617 » by Lord Commander » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:02 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Lord Commander wrote:

yeah the marlins probably would want wheeler/matz and dominic smith or something like that. JT is good but he aint that good.

Probably makes sense to take more of a vet approach. I would love to get my hands on Salvador Perez or someone like that if we were willing to take on some of his contract. More likely someone like Lucroy makes sense.

No, we're not that desperate. As much as I like him, I don't even think I'd trade Nimmo and a low level arm for him.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#2618 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Lord Commander wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Lord Commander wrote:

No, we're not that desperate. As much as I like him, I don't even think I'd trade Nimmo and a low level arm for him.

and that wouldn't get that deal done either so you see the issue we might have finding a trade partner.

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2619 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Mecca wrote:

Jesus MP, poor post. You just used W-L as your driving point when baseball circles don’t even care about it as it’s based upon luck. Also, when did Pineda get CY Young votes??? Never.

Can't believe you guys got your asses kicked again last night. :P (Coming over here is not without its risks :lol: )
POSTING POLICIES:
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#2620 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Can't believe you guys got your asses kicked again last night. :P (Coming over here is not without its risks :lol: )

I’m not worried about being a good team. Have worries of Boston winning the division as I hate one game playoffs.

I expect us to trade for Archer in a few months
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney

Return to New York Knicks