ImageImageImageImageImage

Frank Ntilikina - Sophomore Year

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#141 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:45 pm

eagle54 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
The league is so offense oriented now. The reverse of how it used to be. And Frank doesn't seem like he'll be THAT dude on offense.
But, then again, if you put the right guys around him, he won't need to be. Whether or not Frank is ultimately a success depends on the team the front office builds around him. Hopefully Perry & Mills can get the job done there.

Do you think warriors won without good Defense ? Klay Green and now even KD are very good defender too. Like you say, not a problem if frank is not a 25 ppg guy, KP and another guys could be the first option. Frank could be 3rd or 4th and with his mentality he can easily accept that so not future ego's war it's perfect for us to build.

KD plays defense AND scores 26 ppg. Klay plays defense AND scores 20 ppg as the third offensive option.

Draymond is a defensive guy who gets to all-star games, but, he's like that Tupac song "You aint shyt without your homeboys"

Frank will probably never average 20 ppg. So ok, he looks promising defensively. But this league doesn't put a premium on defense like it used to. Think about it. A Mike D'Antoni team might win the championship.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Re: RE: Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#142 » by GONYK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
eagle54 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
The league is so offense oriented now. The reverse of how it used to be. And Frank doesn't seem like he'll be THAT dude on offense.
But, then again, if you put the right guys around him, he won't need to be. Whether or not Frank is ultimately a success depends on the team the front office builds around him. Hopefully Perry & Mills can get the job done there.

Do you think warriors won without good Defense ? Klay Green and now even KD are very good defender too. Like you say, not a problem if frank is not a 25 ppg guy, KP and another guys could be the first option. Frank could be 3rd or 4th and with his mentality he can easily accept that so not future ego's war it's perfect for us to build.

KD plays defense AND scores 26 ppg. Klay plays defense AND scores 20 ppg as the third offensive option.

Draymond is a defensive guy who gets to all-star games, but, he's like that Tupac song "You aint shyt without your homeboys"

Frank will probably never average 20 ppg. So ok, he looks promising defensively. But this league doesn't put a premium on defense like it used to. Think about it. A Mike D'Antoni team might win the championship.

Warriors don't win anything without Draymond though.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#143 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:50 pm

GONYK wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
eagle54 wrote:

So Frank is Draymond Green. Wonderful.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#144 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:52 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:DSJ was the obvious choice, but, I'm not mad at having Frank. Phil and his damn triangle...

Frank will be a solid, steady, productive player for us. When is the last time the Knicks had that in the backcourt? This year's pick is critical to his and KP's careers.

Honestly, I still prefer Frank to DSJ. Defense in my mind is just sooo important now. I am really tired of one way players. When you can get a 2 way point guard in the NBA, which is a guards league, it really gives you an advantage. I know Frank is not there on offense yet, but I don't think the last two games were a fluke. He is a cerebral cat (Lebron said so 8-) ), smart player, VERY good defender (chance to be great DPOY), with a good shot. But he can't really create much yet.

Frank is really still growing. And he is like really young. That 1 year or so younger really is a big jump for many players. What he showed as an older HS senior essentially, is impressive. Kid has a bright future and might really amount to much much than a steady and productive player. Let him fill out, build up, get faster. If his offense even gets good, with his defense, uh oh.

DSJ can really bring it, but he can't play defense. He doesn't seem to be the type of PG that is making everyone around him better. But on the right team, yeah, he can be great and be a champion. But I want some D from my guard.

That's what SHE said....Lol

Well said.

We need a few all star level talent players to have a chance at a championship. We also need team chemistry. We have KP and we really need Frank to reach his potential AND we need another max (2 way) player. A lot is going to depend on our new coach, we all know that too well. ch ch ch changes... I do hope we try to become a 2 way team, just as one of the new managers just said, at least he mentioned it regarding being a defensive team.

Frank is a very mature professional basketball player, he is not really a kid like a lot of these guys. Not meaning that against the others, but he played pro ball in another country where it is more a team game. He is adjust really well. A lot of these guys prepare for this, but they are still teenagers or 20/21 years old and well, I'm sure you all remember that, know that, can imagine that...
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#145 » by Marty McFly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
GONYK wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

Drayguard green. as I've said before.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#146 » by GONYK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:00 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
GONYK wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

If Frank is a 3× All-Star, DPOY, and All-NBA both defensively and overall in his first 5 years, I'd think we should all be happy
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#147 » by Marty McFly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:06 pm

GONYK wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
GONYK wrote:Warriors don't win anything without Draymond though.

If Frank is a 3× All-Star, DPOY, and All-NBA both defensively and overall in his first 5 years, I'd think we should all be happy

but. but. but. 20ppg!
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#148 » by eagle54 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:KD plays defense AND scores 26 ppg. Klay plays defense AND scores 20 ppg as the third offensive option.

But at the moment a Mike D's team never won a championship...
So now can you say me the offensive stats of the spurs when they won ? I could help you https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2014.html

So Warriors are one of the best team of the history, maybe a dynasty but it's not a generality.
Knicks need to build its own identity and have at least a decent defense if we want to hope good future. So let's frank grown , maybe it's a 15ppg guy with elite defense (or not) but his profile never prevent to win a title.

And before thinking about a title, thinking about to have a decent team and go to the PO every year... If you have a good coach, a culture and some interesting players you will become attractive in FA to catch the last piece ( FA or trade : like celtic with kyrie ...or hayward).
eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#149 » by eagle54 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 pm

GONYK wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

But Monk can be impressive with his dunk :D
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#150 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:38 pm

GONYK wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

ImageImageImage
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#151 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

Even better if we have three All-Stars & two MVPs playing with him.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#152 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:12 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Even better if we have three All-Stars & two MVPs playing with him.

ImageImageImage
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#153 » by Wonderllama » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:32 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
Kristaps6_NYK wrote:Yeah we missed out on DSJ and Mitchell, but Frank is no slouch.?

you lost me there

we didn't miss out on DSJ, we dogged a bullet there

that guy literally plays top 5 worst defense at his position in the nba

we dont need that

I said before the draft I wanted DSJ over Frank, and I stand corrected. Frank is definitely a better prospect.

Not gonna fret over Mitchell. It's one of those super lucky mid round picks that works out incredibly for whatever reason.

But maybe I'm feeling regret for passing over Malik Monk? Kid was good to close the Hornets season.

Still, having such a young player with unlimited potential like Frank is exciting as hell. I'll say what no one else has said. THANK YOU Phil Jackson!
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#154 » by No-Man » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 am

Frank might be Doug Christie meets Bruce Bowen, and that's fine, I would take that in the top10 in any draft.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#155 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:38 am

Fischella wrote:Frank might be Doug Christie meets Bruce Bowen, and that's fine, I would take that in the top10 in any draft.

That's an interesting and good "non star" combo to come up with. It took Christie a few years to become good as well. Before his wife stole his gonads.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,189

Post#156 » by gavran » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:40 am

Marty McFly wrote:
GONYK wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

but. but. but. 20ppg!

If Mike James can average 20 PPG, so can Frank.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#157 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 pm

He should be a solid starter in the league and had a decent rookie year for a 19 year old from Europe. Eventually should be able to guard 1-4 with ease, which obviously makes him valuable on the defensive end.

If he continues to work hard on his offensive game, he could still get close to being a Jrue level player on offense, which would be a great 4th guy on a championship team. Worst case Jose (TOR version) with elite D, which would be a solid #5th guy.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#158 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:02 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
eagle54 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

The other thing that needs to be mentioned, cuz you'll probably get killed on this post, is we're talking about the 8th pick in a draft. Not 20th, not 30th.....The 8th.

Think of our favorite pure defenders. Tony Allen, Danny Green, guys who are fan favorites. You need guys like that but you wouldn't draft them with an 8th pick so it's not simply an argument about valueing defense. I LOVE defense and because I love defense, I would naturally love Frank........But that doesn't mean that I like him at the 8th pick. And then as a secondary argument even given the low offensive output individually, what's the secondary skill? Ok he'll never be a top scorer and he defends. Does he project as an elite passer, elite rebounder?

For me it's about opportunity cost. Could we have found a running mate for KP at picck 8 and then simply found a defensive role player in a future draft where we had a lower pick? So I think people don't understand the true argument. Signing Renaldo Balkman made sense. But it made sense with our second rounder that year, while there were better options where he was drafted. It'd be like signing Zhair Smith with our 9th pick this yr when we could've just traded down and still signed him at pick 15. It's about value at the pick slot.

With all that said, it is what it is, he's a knick. It did look like toward the end he started getting more confident. I think he recently had a game where he took 16 shots, which is all I've been asking him to do all yr. And all my critics asked "oh well you want him just jacking up bad shots". Well guess what? He scored at a 53%clip that night. The night he took 16 shots. So point is, acting confident and being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean inefficient, it means confident and aggressive. Let's see what he does in the off-season to build more confidence. I view him as a long term piece. Hopefully he continues to get aggressive. I don't need him to be a 20pt scorer but I don't think it's crazy to be a 13pt scorer at some point. That'd be good
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#159 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
eagle54 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

The other thing that needs to be mentioned, cuz you'll probably get killed on this post, is we're talking about the 8th pick in a draft. Not 20th, not 30th.....The 8th.

Think of our favorite pure defenders. Tony Allen, Danny Green, guys who are fan favorites. You need guys like that but you wouldn't draft them with an 8th pick so it's not simply an argument about valueing defense. I LOVE defense and because I love defense, I would naturally love Frank........But that doesn't mean that I like him at the 8th pick. And then as a secondary argument even given the low offensive output individually, what's the secondary skill? Ok he'll never be a top scorer and he defends. Does he project as an elite passer, elite rebounder?

For me it's about opportunity cost. Could we have found a running mate for KP at picck 8 and then simply found a defensive role player in a future draft where we had a lower pick? So I think people don't understand the true argument. Signing Renaldo Balkman made sense. But it made sense with our second rounder that year, while there were better options where he was drafted. It'd be like signing Zhair Smith with our 9th pick this yr when we could've just traded down and still signed him at pick 15. It's about value at the pick slot.

With all that said, it is what it is, he's a knick. It did look like toward the end he started getting more confident. I think he recently had a game where he took 16 shots, which is all I've been asking him to do all yr. And all my critics asked "oh well you want him just jacking up bad shots". Well guess what? He scored at a 53%clip that night. The night he took 16 shots. So point is, acting confident and being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean inefficient, it means confident and aggressive. Let's see what he does in the off-season to build more confidence. I view him as a long term piece. Hopefully he continues to get aggressive. I don't need him to be a 20pt scorer but I don't think it's crazy to be a 13pt scorer at some point. That'd be good
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#160 » by EchelonNYK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:31 pm

omerome wrote:As much as Mitchell has impressed this season, so you honestly think he would have developed like that here? Jeff loves his vets so he would be playing behind Lee and Timmy. I doubt he would have gotten the leeway here as he does in Utah.

Donovan Mitchell doesn't need much development. He spent 2 yrs at Louisville and played at a high level under a very good college basketball coach. The kid was ready to produce Day 1

Looks for incoming prospects like Mikal Bridges to produce the second he steps on a NBA court as well.

Return to New York Knicks