ImageImageImageImageImage

Damyean Dotson Can't Be Stopped

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Re: Damyean Dotson Can't Be Stopped 

Post#81 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:55 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
You’re using “have patience”’as an excuse to not play the kids?

Isn’t that backwards?

Let the kids play and have patience through their development.

Knicks don’t have patience. They went win now as always.

Agreed on adding talent. Disagree on keeping this current group together. We need to cut bait before we overpay (more) bench players and pretend they’re quality starters. That’s how you end up in cap hell. Sorry, deeper in cap hell

If you think this season was about win now than you have not been watching.

You don't just throw young players in when they are not ready and expect them to develop. You want to instill work ethic and make them earn it. It is up to the players to step up and take a spot. Everyone on this team had had a chance to play this season in different spots.

Remember this was everyone's first year in Jeff's system. It takes time to put it together especially when you are missing your star player for a big portion.

No one is saying all of these guys are going to be stars but a lot of them can be effective bench pieces. Burke, Dotson, Kornet, Williams, Thomas, KOQ, Baker, Beasley are all good players to have off of your bench. I don't see them overpaying to keep any of them but if they come back at a reasonable price I am all for it. It is up to the scouts and management to make sure they hit on our pick this year so some of these guys don't have to play prominent roles.

For once the team needs to stay the course with one plan and build from within. Worse case next year we still suck but players show developed potential and the tankers get another top 10 pick.

If you think this season wasn’t about win now, then you haven’t been watching.

Spent all the cap space in big overpay for THJ
Started Sessions then Jack
Started Kanter
Started Lee
Then started Beas & LFT multiple games
Still playing the vets big minutes
Even bringing vets in to close games at this stage of the season
The only person they trade for assets was a guy on a rookie deal

Everything about this season screams “win now”

Instill work ethic and make them earn it? Folks are still running with this line? :lol: That in now way shape or form is what this team did. They went with who could win now. There are plenty of times where he younger guys “earned” their minutes and would not come back in because the coach went to his safety blanket - the vets.

You’re fine with defending the approach to rebuilding this team took. Cool. I’m not.

Let’s just agree to disagree

I agree with you up to a certain date. Gotta remember Tim and Kanter are 25 yrs old and at least in my opinion 25yr olds fit both models. In other words you could win now or rebuild with 25yr olds. They just happened to play well. But yes, the Knicks tried to win and if you remember I was probably the most vocal in hating it feeling this was a great opportunity to tank after the Melo trade. I didn't allot of time in your corner

Then KP went down. Since then I feel like the Knicks HAVE BEEN doing everything I've asked for so maybe you can say it's too little too late but outside of these recent meaningless wins (often brought upon by the very youth you claim we don't play) what else did you expect to see? I mean, we have the 2nd worst record in the league since the all star game and all the youngins are getting minutes.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#82 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
He did play in 41 games this year and 13 in the G-League so it's not like he didn't get opportunities. It is up to him to make an impact with the opportunities he did have. I like Dotson and think he could be a good rotation player but he wasn't ready to play major minutes.

We need to for once have patience. This is not a sprint it's a marathon. We have tried sprinting with quick fixes that never work out. Let these kids take time to learn the game and develop their skills without all of this New York fan/media pressure. The Knicks have done a great job using their developmental system this year and it shows with how these guys have stepped right in and played within Jeff's system. I think if Frank started in the G-League this year he would be better off right now. Knicks just need to keep these guys together, develop the system and keep adding talent.

Isn’t that backwards?

Agreed on adding talent. Disagree on keeping this current group together. We need to cut bait before we overpay (more) bench players and pretend they’re quality starters. That’s how you end up in cap hell. Sorry, deeper in cap hell

Dakomish, Dotson is a second rounder. If you wanna get bent out of shape about someone, who if given all the time in the world will probably develop into a third stringer or trade fodder then be my guest.

When someone says we don't play our kids, I tend to focus on guys with potential to start. Are there exceptions? Are there Lance Stephensens out there? Sure but not seeing Dotson everyday doesn't warrant your overall assessment of how we run our lineup.

Frank plays
Mudiay plays
Kornet playing
Williams was playing
Dotson now plays

But yeah, don't lose sleep over guys in the Ndour tier of player

I don’t care if he was an undrafted FA that we signed to a 10 day.

The season is over. The season has been over for months. Every smart team is going to give their minutes to the young guys to see if they can show signs of being in the rotation long term.

I have been hearing the “he’s not going to amount to anything but end of bench piece” mantra for over a decade and that excuse has been proven wrong multiple times. How do you know what he develops into? You don’t know. I don’t know. The Knicks don’t know. How about we at least try to find out? What do you lose if he fails? Nothing. I also know what we gain if he pans out.

Either you accept where this team stands in the hierarchy of the NBA & expect to see what a team of this caliber should be doing, or you can accept the decision making by this franchise.

To each their own.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#83 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Isn’t that backwards?

Dakomish, Dotson is a second rounder. If you wanna get bent out of shape about someone, who if given all the time in the world will probably develop into a third stringer or trade fodder then be my guest.

When someone says we don't play our kids, I tend to focus on guys with potential to start. Are there exceptions? Are there Lance Stephensens out there? Sure but not seeing Dotson everyday doesn't warrant your overall assessment of how we run our lineup.

Frank plays
Mudiay plays
Kornet playing
Williams was playing
Dotson now plays

But yeah, don't lose sleep over guys in the Ndour tier of player

I don’t care if he was an undrafted FA that we signed to a 10 day.

The season is over. The season has been over for months. Every smart team is going to give their minutes to the young guys to see if they can show signs of being in the rotation long term.

I have been hearing the “he’s not going to amount to anything but end of bench piece” mantra for over a decade and that excuse has been proven wrong multiple times. How do you know what he develops into? You don’t know. I don’t know. The Knicks don’t know. How about we at least try to find out? What do you lose if he fails? Nothing. I also know what we gain if he pans out.

Either you accept where this team stands in the hierarchy of the NBA & expect to see what a team of this caliber should be doing, or you can accept the decision making by this franchise.

To each their own.

Oven so, you said kids. Kids

Kids

As in plural ? As in, we don't play any of them. I'm basically showing you that that's really not the case, save for one guy you're touting whose a deep second round draftee. One I'll remind you was send down to the D"evelopmental"- league multiple times this season.

Again, I wished the Knicks tanked since the trade deadline. Actually. I had wished they did so from the Melo trade but that wasn't thier plan and many people here was against that thinking. The anti tanking brigade. But there was a distinct moment in time where that sentiment shifted.....KPs injury. And since that time almost every youngin got a shot.

We don't watch practice Dakomish. I sure as hell ain't watching no D- league game. Sometimes there was no better time than the time you saw him. Not a moment before. Idk, I'm not there. But I do know he's a 24 yr old rookie selected in the second round. Let it go
ohboy109
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#84 » by ohboy109 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Dotson has more upside than Frank!
im looking forward to seeing him next year if only they can trade thj!
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#85 » by reub » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:17 pm

ohboy109 wrote:Dotson has more upside than Frank!

He doesn't have more upside than Frank and Hardaway's contract makes him untradeable.
But I like Dotson too.
ohboy109
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#86 » by ohboy109 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 pm

reub wrote:

He doesn't have more upside than Frank and Hardaway's contract makes him untradeable.
But I like Dotson too.

Hell yea he does, just watch he is more explosive
thats why i said if only they can trade him, cant stand thj! he a 6th man anyway
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#87 » by denterprise » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:14 pm

ohboy109 wrote:
reub wrote:

But I like Dotson too.

Hell yea he does, just watch he is more explosive
thats why i said if only they can trade him, cant stand thj! he a 6th man anyway

Being more explosive does not mean having more upside. There were plenty of players that were more explosive than John Stockton, who's rookie season was much like Franks, but he turned out to be one of the best PG to play the game. I am pulling for Dotson to have a significant bench role on this team and eventually challenge for a starting position. Like you I hate the Hardaway signing. It was an awful signing for a team that needed a total rebuild.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#88 » by magnumt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 am

• Their games are completely different.

• Their positions are completely different.

• They both can be good. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#89 » by TheBigBoss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 am

magnumt wrote:

If by some miracle we got Doncic, Frank/Dotson might have a chance at being our future backcourt with Luka at SF. Having them and KP would mask Doncic's defensive issues while having shooters on the floor that hit could hit the open looks he provides. Lets hope that what we saw from those two at the end of the season was for real and that we get lucky in drafting Luka of course.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#90 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:40 am

TheBigBoss wrote:
magnumt wrote:

If by some miracle we got Doncic, Frank/Dotson might have a chance at being our future backcourt with Luka at SF. Having them and KP would mask Doncic's defensive issues while having shooters on the floor that hit could hit the open looks he provides. Lets hope that what we saw from those two at the end of the season was for real and that we get lucky in drafting Luka of course.

Luka needs to pull an Eli Manning!! Ping pong balls never go our way.
:beer: RIP mags
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#91 » by malik959 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:11 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
magnumt wrote:

Uuuuummm Dotson is about 4 years older than Frank, of course he's more advanced at this moment. But in no way does he have more upside than him. Now Dotson is gifted and I feel that if it weren't for his off court troubles he could have been a first Rd draft pick (late 20's) a year ago.
knicksanity
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#92 » by knicksanity » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:21 am

Dotson would be a GOOD spark plug off for us off the bench next season! Need takers for Lee. I would love to trade Lance but if we will land Mikal he's a good mentor for him in terms of DEFENSE
iCallBankshot
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#93 » by iCallBankshot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:11 pm

GIMME_DATT wrote:Image

EWWW those candies are so gross. I almost threw up at the image.

Return to New York Knicks