ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Likely To Stretch Noah After Sept 1st

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,207

Re: Knicks Likely To Stretch Noah After Sept 1st 

Post#121 » by The Lamma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 am

Please do not stretch Noah. Do not prolong the ugh.

Steve Carell gif all day. No! No!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#122 » by Wonderllama » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:08 am

Why do we create bad contracts of our own free will. Why can't we take bad contracts from other teams along with their first round picks?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,136

Post#123 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:13 am

Are you guys related? I found it interesting that there were back to bak llama usernames posting.
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,207

Post#124 » by The Lamma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Are you guys related? I found it interesting that there were back to bak llama usernames posting.

To Wonderllama:

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#125 » by PeoplesChamp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:25 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Having Noah's EC after next season could be valuable...

Isiah is that you?

Yea, I was thinking that we can do a sign and trade for Kemba and we can eat Batums contract in the process while handing over 2 unprotected 1sts and offering an unprotected pick swap in the gap year. The catch is that I have to be able to drop the B-word towards the female of my choice.

Mainly, if we do want to add a FA or trade for an actual superstar (like Celts did Kyrie) we can use the versatility of the Noah contract to our advantage. Same with Lee, Thomas etc. If we create the cap space NOW, we also create a chance to USE IT. If we free up say 12M in cap, we have jjjjust enough to overpay a MLE type guy for 3 years and become an unmovable. The only scenario that I would not throw an absolute hissy fit about would be if we stretched Noah to eat a 1 year contract attached to a pick.

And what team is going to give you their superstar for Noah’s expiring contract?

Or will you be happy with another Ariza & Penny for Francis type trade? Because that’s what that kind of thinking gets you when you overestimate the worth of an expiring contract.

If you need a more recent example, ask the Lakers how their attempts to trade Deng have worked out. And he actually has something to offer on the court, unlike Noah.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#126 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:52 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
Isiah is that you?

Yea, I was thinking that we can do a sign and trade for Kemba and we can eat Batums contract in the process while handing over 2 unprotected 1sts and offering an unprotected pick swap in the gap year. The catch is that I have to be able to drop the B-word towards the female of my choice.

Mainly, if we do want to add a FA or trade for an actual superstar (like Celts did Kyrie) we can use the versatility of the Noah contract to our advantage. Same with Lee, Thomas etc. If we create the cap space NOW, we also create a chance to USE IT. If we free up say 12M in cap, we have jjjjust enough to overpay a MLE type guy for 3 years and become an unmovable. The only scenario that I would not throw an absolute hissy fit about would be if we stretched Noah to eat a 1 year contract attached to a pick.

And what team is going to give you their superstar for Noah’s expiring contract?

Or will you be happy with another Ariza & Penny for Francis type trade? Because that’s what that kind of thinking gets you when you overestimate the worth of an expiring contract.

If you need a more recent example, ask the Lakers how their attempts to trade Deng have worked out. And he actually has something to offer on the court, unlike Noah.

If the Cavs were in a full rebuild rather than competing, they likely would have taken an EC rather than Crowder/IT. It really depends on our teams needs in two years. Hypothetically, we could be using the salary to match a John Wall or Dame Lillard. We won't know what is available until we get there. Since it's not certain, it's important that we don't blow our load. There also may be no deal to be had, but the following year perhaps a max-worthy player will be available. It is just unwise to paint ourselves into a corner of guaranteed stupidity. Also Noah may actually be a better C than Deng is a PF next season.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#127 » by King of Canada » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:56 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:For who?
Why pay him past 2019?

Do not stretch Noah.

Just ride the damn contract out. Stretching him is boneheaded.

The ONLY reason to stretch Noah is if your #1 target FA wants to join the team and that is the only way to sign him.

I meant dangerous to us :x
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#128 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:05 am

King of Canada wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

The ONLY reason to stretch Noah is if your #1 target FA wants to join the team and that is the only way to sign him.

I meant dangerous to us :x

Oh I agree with you!
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#129 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 am

Wonderllama wrote:Why do we create bad contracts of our own free will. Why can't we take bad contracts from other teams along with their first round picks?

A lot of bad contracts were given out that offseason. The Knicks wasn't the only dufus.
Free Palestine
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#130 » by PeoplesChamp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:10 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

If the Cavs were in a full rebuild rather than competing, they likely would have taken an EC rather than Crowder/IT. It really depends on our teams needs in two years. Hypothetically, we could be using the salary to match a John Wall or Dame Lillard. We won't know what is available until we get there. Since it's not certain, it's important that we don't blow our load. There also may be no deal to be had, but the following year perhaps a max-worthy player will be available. It is just unwise to paint ourselves into a corner of guaranteed stupidity. Also Noah may actually be a better C than Deng is a PF next season.

This board’s undying devotion for Noah & Jeff Van Gundy is something I will never understand.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#131 » by GEOLINK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:For who?
Why pay him past 2019?

Do not stretch Noah.

LeBron’s finally nutting up and coming here?
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#132 » by GEOLINK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:28 am

Would be a Knicks move to clear cap and give Kyrie a max with his knee injuries.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#133 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:09 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

This board’s undying devotion for Noah & Jeff Van Gundy is something I will never understand.

JVG = B+ coach
Noah = someone who can play C for 20 MPG.

I don't consider that undying devotion. I think Deng is a PF that can play maybe 8-16mpg. Noah is capable of being in a serviceable platoon with a younger big. Those are my specific thoughts.

We have not had a coach as good as JVG since JVG. I would argue Lenny Wilkins was much better than we give him credit for, but pretty much the rest of our coaches were a complete mismatch with the teams they were given aside from the Expendables with Woody.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#134 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:10 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

Is he 45 yet?
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#135 » by GEOLINK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:00 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

Is he 45 yet?
He looks 45.

Have we seen his birth certificate?
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#136 » by PeoplesChamp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:54 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:LeBron’s finally nutting up and coming here?

Is he 45 yet?
He looks 45.

By Knicks law we can only sign him when he's too old to be effective and is only looking for one more payday.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#137 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:LeBron’s finally nutting up and coming here?

Is he 45 yet?
He looks 45.

Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#138 » by Boarder Patrol » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Why? Who are we going to sign with the cap space this frees up? Why would you do it unless there's a plan in place to sign someone?
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#139 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Adelheid wrote:The Knicks FO cant be trusted yet with how to spend surplus cap. For whom are they freeing the cap for? Unless they are planning on using the space to absorb expirings for pick, just let Noah finish his contract.

I see no reason for this team to sign any players to multi year contracts past two years when we're still so far away from having a legit team. We need to keep J.Noah and play the guy a good 20-25 minutes a game or however many minutes he's able to play and let his contract run out along with C.Lee's contract which is after the 2019/20 season. We'll have added two lottery picks to this team and whatever 2nd round picks we have to this team by then and then see where this team is at. This team needs at least 2 years and most likely 3 or even 4 years of adding young players before we're close to to being a legit team and if KP doesn't wanna stick around for this rebuild then look into trading him. Hopefully he'll buy into a true rebuild and wanna stay a New York Knick and will still only be 24-25 years old by the time we're ready to add legit free agents to go with KP, Frank and whoever we add in those 2-3 years in the drafts.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#140 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Are you guys related? I found it interesting that there were back to bak llama usernames posting.

Return to New York Knicks