ImageImageImageImageImage

Daryl Morey on the Knicks

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

SpikJagger
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Re: Daryl Morey on the Knicks 

Post#21 » by SpikJagger » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Dolan Dolan Dolan. I hate him - you hate him - even his bandmates probably hate him. But is he the defacto scapegoat for our issues since the Phil hire?

I actually still remember when people thought Dolan forced the Melo trade and refused to believe anything else other than that he forced Walsh to gut the team so Dolan can have a star money maker.

I mean, i hate the dude just as much as the next but i also look at all the facts objectively. Dolan is definitely the root of alot of problems but those problems have been few and far between since the Phil hire.

Three things that Dolan has stepped in on from my Knowledge since the Phil hire.

- Hiring Steve mtherfcking Mills
- Not allowing Phil to select his medical/training staff or w.e that debacle was about
- Firing pmfjb
- Treating Oakley like he found him and his momma in bed together

I'm not saying that there's nothing going on behind the scenes, because i don't know; nobody knows. I can only speak objectively on the facts as they appear in the press or media. If i'm missing anything feel free to correct me.
Louielou
Junior
And1: 154

Post#22 » by Louielou » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Dantares wrote:
Louielou wrote:
Dantares wrote:Lol that is funny but Dolan hasn't been the problem for years now.

He didn't hire this majestic front office?

I don't blame him for hiring Donnie Walsh who was supposed to be the 2nd best GM after Jerry West and I don't blame him for hiring Phil Jackson either. Phil's the greatest basketball mind in the world and he had a lot of influence on the Lakers roster composition especially after Jerry West left and they won the two titles in 2009 and 2010. Nobody knew he was going to be so bad.

I actually like the tandem of Mills and Perry. They are doing things the right way so far.

If you feel that way then I don't have to much to say. It's probably the Deep State that is keeping the Knicks down then not Dolan.
Louielou
Junior
And1: 154

Post#23 » by Louielou » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:40 pm

SpikJagger wrote:Dolan Dolan Dolan. I hate him - you hate him - even his bandmates probably hate him. But is he the defacto scapegoat for our issues since the Phil hire?

I actually still remember when people thought Dolan forced the Melo trade and refused to believe anything else other than that he forced Walsh to gut the team so Dolan can have a star money maker.

I mean, i hate the dude just as much as the next but i also look at all the facts objectively. Dolan is definitely the root of alot of problems but those problems have been few and far between since the Phil hire.

Three things that Dolan has stepped in on from my Knowledge since the Phil hire.

- Hiring Steve mtherfcking Mills
- Not allowing Phil to select his medical/training staff or w.e that debacle was about
- Firing pmfjb
- Treating Oakley like he found him and his momma in bed together

I'm not saying that there's nothing going on behind the scenes, because i don't know; nobody knows. I can only speak objectively on the facts as they appear in the press or media. If i'm missing anything feel free to correct me.

I get that, but I feel we'll never really know how much influence Dolan, Mills, PJax has had in this organization over the last 5 years.

If we assume that Dolan actually doesn't meddle and that he actually acknowledges the mess this team has been since he took over then why do the decision makers here stay relatively the same?
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#24 » by MP4LIFE » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Dantares wrote:
Louielou wrote:
Dantares wrote:Lol that is funny but Dolan hasn't been the problem for years now.

I don't blame him for hiring Donnie Walsh who was supposed to be the 2nd best GM after Jerry West and I don't blame him for hiring Phil Jackson either. Phil's the greatest basketball mind in the world and he had a lot of influence on the Lakers roster composition especially after Jerry West left and they won the two titles in 2009 and 2010. Nobody knew he was going to be so bad.

I actually like the tandem of Mills and Perry. They are doing things the right way so far.

Steve Mills has been around from the Layden era.

Phil Jackson had 0 experience as a GM. Giving $12 million to Phil Jackson to be your GM instead of someone who is an actual basketball mind like an RC Buford or Sam Presti is something you should be blaming for.

He also fired Grunwald, hired Mills, demoted Mills, and hired Phil within a year and a half period.

He was forced into hiring Walsh by David Stern and forced him to resign 3 years later after the Melo trade.

Stop making excuses for terrible ownership.
Isiahthomass
Bench Warmer
And1: 819

Post#25 » by Isiahthomass » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:00 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
Dantares wrote:
Louielou wrote:

Steve Mills has been around from the Layden era.

Phil Jackson had 0 experience as a GM. Giving $12 million to Phil Jackson to be your GM instead of someone who is an actual basketball mind like an RC Buford or Sam Presti is something you should be blaming for.

He also fired Grunwald, hired Mills, demoted Mills, and hired Phil within a year and a half period.

He was forced into hiring Walsh by David Stern and forced him to resign 3 years later after the Melo trade.

Stop making excuses for terrible ownership.

Dolan's issues go way beyond all this. The Sprewell issues, the whole Isiah Thomas fiasco. You know Dolan usurped Walsh during the Melo trade and that was why Walsh stepped down. I think Dolan meddles just as much as before, he's just much more lowkey with who knows what he does. He keeps himself insulated.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#26 » by PeoplesChamp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:

Joke post?

He hasn't been.
kenneyy88
Junior
And1: 96

Post#27 » by kenneyy88 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Toxic owner, toxic fans, toxic media.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by MP4LIFE » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

Joke post?

He hasn't been.

I would say being almost 300 games under .500 as an owner says otherwise.

You can chalk it up to bad luck. I chalk it up to terrible decision making by an impulsive owner who only values big names with no experience and yes men for management positions.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#29 » by Greenie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 pm

He owns the team.
He will always be the problem.

If something breaks down in your house and no matter what you do, you can’t get it fixed and don’t know how to go about getting it fixed? Then you don’t need a house, you need a landlord.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#30 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:40 pm

When will people realize the Knicks are not really integral to the NBA except for the teams worth.

Winning is not required at all, and never will be. if you expect that some day, you're likely believing Santa and the Easter bunny too.

The Knicks role is cash cow and a hot ticket in NY.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,973

Post#31 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Dolan used to be a micromanager but he hasn't been that recently. He's not out there telling Perry to look for 2nd rounders for Willy Hernangomez or anything.

That said - He certainly has overarching principles that his managers must adhere to. For example, Donnie Walsh wasn't brought here to do a ground up rebuild. He knew that he couldn't start making moves to that extent instead of chasing stars. He also has had a mandate in the past to "never lose a player over money."

I think some of these principles have adapted in recent years. Particularly since he had McKinsey and Co do a report for him. But the culture and approach has always come from him.

Thugger HBC wrote:When will people realize the Knicks are not really integral to the NBA except for the teams worth.

Winning is not required at all, and never will be. if you expect that some day, you're likely believing Santa and the Easter bunny too.

The Knicks role is cash cow and a hot ticket in NY.

""it's unfortunate we're not winning (games) but it's not integral to the strategy right now to do that." - James Dolan
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by PeoplesChamp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
Joke post?

He hasn't been.

You can chalk it up to bad luck. I chalk it up to terrible decision making by an impulsive owner who only values big names with no experience and yes men for management positions.

The post was about the last few years, not his entire tenure. He’s been in pure sign the checks mode for several years.

Phil Jackson is the one to blame for the last few years. And Melo.

Phil turned out to largely suck as an exec. If/when the Knicks finally do start winning, there will be no rush to give Dolan the credit. You’ll give that to the players on the court.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by MP4LIFE » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:28 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
He hasn't been.

The post was about the last few years, not his entire tenure. He’s been in pure sign the checks mode for several years.

Phil turned out to largely suck as an exec. If/when the Knicks finally do start winning, there will be no rush to give Dolan the credit. You’ll give that to the players on the court.

Who hired Phil Jackson?

Who pushed to acquire Melo?

Dolan is the root of all failure. Not acknowledging that is just not living in reality.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by PeoplesChamp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:58 am

MP4LIFE wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

Who hired Phil Jackson?

Dolan is the root of all failure. Not acknowledging that is just not living in reality.

Ok, Jerry Krause.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#35 » by Mecca » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 am

Good CEO's hire good managers that produce good results.

Dolan is the worst Owner in basketball. I don't care that he's hands off. He still picked Phil Jackson as our President.

Thankfully, I'm a huge fan of Perry, so I feel like the end of misery is near.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by MP4LIFE » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:13 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

Who hired Phil Jackson?

Ok, Jerry Krause.

What?

Ok, Ed Tapscott.

Let’s start calling each other old general managers. It will be fun.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#37 » by Adelheid » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:25 am

Greenie wrote:

He owns the team.
He will always be the problem.

If something breaks down in your house and no matter what you do, you can’t get it fixed and don’t know how to go about getting it fixed? Then you don’t need a house, you need a landlord.

Or perhaps a butler to do the management for yah...
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#38 » by Garbagelo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 am

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,051

Post#39 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:40 am

Drdownvotes12 actually liked JD and the Shyt Shot??? WTF?

Morey is 100% correct. Now....Phil had autonomy and lost his fkn mind!!! Dolan vowed to step away...he did as far as we know until Phil went bonkers. I recall many begging Dolan to step in. Its only been THREE years since he backed off and 2 of them were wasted on Phil. The franchise is finally on the right path...partially and initially because of Phil. Seeing how this is only the stalled beginning...I'm not gonna cry about Dolan because...he hasn't been a problem in 3 years. It will take time to move past all of the prior disasters. Hopefully...Perry can get it done. We'll all have a better idea when they announce the next HC. I'M SO NERVOUS!!!
:beer: RIP mags
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#40 » by Phish Tank » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:47 am

I'm pretty sure Isiah was given full reign to do whatever he wanted while he was around.... it just ended up that Larry Brown messed with him that one season he was with us.

Donnie also had full control 2 of the 3 years.... that is until the Melo trade, supposedly. Though Walsh seems to take full credit for everything.....

Grunwald was a CAA puppet more than a Dolan puppet.

Mills was a placeholder until Phil.

Phil had full control until he decided he wanted to buy out Melo.

Mills/Perry seem to have full control.

Don't really see where Dolan has meddled much recently outside of what I mentioned...

Return to New York Knicks