ImageImageImageImageImage

Mills: Dolan Wants Us To Be Patient With Knicks' Rebuild

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,912

Re: Steve Mills: James Dolan Wants Us To Be Patient With Knicks' Rebuild. per espn ian begley 

Post#141 » by god shammgod » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:what viable veterans did brett brown have to play ? he didn't have any. that's the point. they dug up the bones of elton brand for leadership.

Thad Young, Evan Turner, and Spencer Hawes still on the roster. All viable rotation players at some point in their careers.

they were there for the 1st year of the rebuild (13-14) until they expired (thad young) or were traded during that year (tuner & hawes).
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,372

Re: Steve Mills: James Dolan Wants Us To Be Patient With Knicks' Rebuild. per espn ian begley 

Post#142 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 pm

the worst case scenario this offseason for us would be

1.resigning kanter
2. drafting trae young
3. hiring mark jackson

and i could totally see this happening cause we're the knicks.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#143 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
i get you. but the minutes he kind of always got (in the 20s consistently) would indicate that the plan was for him to always split with a vet.

I don't really think there was a plan to be honest. Jeff coached to win and Perry and Mills were fully aware he was going to do that and even encouraged that he do that. Just like with WHG, if they were really committed to him then they wouldn't have kept adding more centers and they would have encouraged Jeff to play him more. They traded him for a reason, not just because he asked to be traded but because they never really were sold on him. Remember these guys attend the practices as well, so it's not like they are just watching games like us to evaluate these players. They probably see these guys way more often than us. So just like with WHG, if they really cared about Frank's playing time like that, they would have sent the message to Jeff and let him know what he should do differently. That's why I say they have no plan, no vision and no direction.

if they weren't high on billy, then i really like the trade.

and we got kanter because we needed to move melo. wasn't nothing personal. billy should have played that cool. maybe he'd inherit a starting spot. instead he popped off like a star player, which also was concerning to me.

all that said, as much as i like billy, i am very much concerned about a frontcourt of he and KP in an NBA that is so fast and spaced. saying billy struggles on defense is putting it nicely. KO the only true center from the lot worth keeping, and even he might have to go.

They had a plan. They stated what they expected this year. W/L record didn't matter. It was about defense, youth movement/player development. They stated that they trusted Jeff and would let him do his thing....with those low expectations. Jeff failed. They fired him.

They are basically still on that page. Nothing has changed. They are now letting everyone know what they want from the next regime. Up front. Who they hire is as important as KP healing 100%.

I am anxiously awaiting this decision. I want Stack/Sheed(if that rumor is true). Stack and whoever...that's my choice.
:beer: RIP mags
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#144 » by HEZI » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
i get you. but the minutes he kind of always got (in the 20s consistently) would indicate that the plan was for him to always split with a vet.

I don't really think there was a plan to be honest. Jeff coached to win and Perry and Mills were fully aware he was going to do that and even encouraged that he do that. Just like with WHG, if they were really committed to him then they wouldn't have kept adding more centers and they would have encouraged Jeff to play him more. They traded him for a reason, not just because he asked to be traded but because they never really were sold on him. Remember these guys attend the practices as well, so it's not like they are just watching games like us to evaluate these players. They probably see these guys way more often than us. So just like with WHG, if they really cared about Frank's playing time like that, they would have sent the message to Jeff and let him know what he should do differently. That's why I say they have no plan, no vision and no direction.

and we got kanter because we needed to move melo. wasn't nothing personal. billy should have played that cool. maybe he'd inherit a starting spot. instead he popped off like a star player, which also was concerning to me.

all that said, as much as i like billy, i am very much concerned about a frontcourt of he and KP in an NBA that is so fast and spaced. saying billy struggles on defense is putting it nicely. KO the only true center from the lot worth keeping, and even he might have to go.

For sure! That's what I'm saying though, it's not just Jeff who saw it like that, they saw it like that as well. Their actions also speak about how they view Frank too. They aren't sold on him either and lets be real they don't exactly have a reason to be sold on him right now. He's a project and we all know this. We're at a point where we are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,204

Post#145 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 pm

The Knicks were always planning to fire Jeff after the season. He never had a chance. If anything he probably exceeded expectations if we are looking at record.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#146 » by Sark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:The Knicks were always planning to fire Jeff after the season. He never had a chance. If anything he probably exceeded expectations if we are looking at record.

Then they should have fired him before the season started.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#147 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm

HEZI wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
HEZI wrote:

For sure! That's what I'm saying though, it's not just Jeff who saw it like that, they saw it like that as well. Their actions also speak about how they view Frank too. They aren't sold on him either and lets be real they don't exactly have a reason to be sold on him right now. He's a project and we all know this. We're at a point where we are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

You do realize there are more than 1 PG on a team right? The only **** they threw at a wall was Mudiay. Perry giving Burke a chance at redemption isn't quite the same...but Yeah...they are looking to fill out a young roster. They only had Baker and Frank to work with. You're over thinking this. Frank was not coached by the FO. They have to fill out the team around what they already had. If Frank turns it out in thr future...and Mud shows anything...the team is that much better. Burke has 6th man value right now with a chance to improve that status. It's a solid way to build from the bottom up. It in no way is any sort of indictment on Frank. They have said as much. Patience dude.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#148 » by HEZI » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

You do realize there are more than 1 PG on a team right? The only **** they threw at a wall was Mudiay. Perry giving Burke a chance at redemption isn't quite the same...but Yeah...they are looking to fill out a young roster. They only had Baker and Frank to work with. You're over thinking this. Frank was not coached by the FO. They have to fill out the team around what they already had. If Frank turns it out in thr future...and Mud shows anything...the team is that much better. Burke has 6th man value right now with a chance to improve that status. It's a solid way to build from the bottom up. It in no way is any sort of indictment on Frank. They have said as much. Patience dude.

Getting younger is not a plan or a direction. What is our identity? Don't tell me youth :lol:
DENVER NUGGETS
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,412
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#149 » by E-Balla » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:The Knicks were always planning to fire Jeff after the season. He never had a chance. If anything he probably exceeded expectations if we are looking at record.

Only because 8 other teams tanked. They probably cared way more about how we looked as a team and Jeff failed there.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#150 » by whocares1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Sark wrote:

Then they should have fired him before the season started.

Would’ve been tough to find a new GM and a new coach in the off season, and they would’ve been killed by the coach’s association if they let Jeff go like that. They probably wanted to fire Jeff if he got off to a cold start but then they started playing well. KP probably saved him for the whole season.
RealGM
And1: 39,189

Re: Mills: Dolan Wants Us To Be Patient With Knicks' Rebuild 

Post#151 » by 2010 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Y'all ain't gonna like it but I don't particularly think you ever gonna see Perry field a team with 15 men on the roster all under 25. Thats just not his philosophy. It's not how he is wired to think. He believes in rebuilding with a young core supplemented with sprinkles of veteran leadership to establish the culture and promote accountability. He has said this many times. And he implemented this plan in Sacramento.

If you guys consider it a prerequisite that rebuilding means doing it by tanking shamelessly the Philly way, then you may as well just quit watching now and save yourselves the gray hairs.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#152 » by whocares1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm

HEZI wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Getting younger is not a plan or a direction. What is our identity? Don't tell me youth :lol:

I think the plan is to acquire young talented players no matter the source(free agency, draft, trade,etc). The identity is supposed to be a gritty blue collar defensive team that plays hard. They’re obviously failing but I think that’s what they’re trying to sell.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#153 » by Sark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Scott Perry gave out big contracts to Zach Randolph, Vince Carter, and George Hill before leaving Sacramento. I don't think he knows how to build a roster with veterans nor with youth.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,476

Post#154 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 pm

2010 wrote:Y'all ain't gonna like it but I don't particularly think you ever gonna see Perry field a team with 15 men on the roster all under 25. Thats just not his philosophy. It's not how he is wired to think. He believes in rebuilding with a young core supplemented with sprinkles of veteran leadership to establish the culture and promote accountability. He has said this many times. And it implemented this plan in Sacramento.

If you guys consider it a prerequisite that rebuilding means doing it by tanking shamelessly the Philly way, then you may as well just quit watching now and save yourselves the gray hairs.

which is probably the reason why perry probably wasn't the right choice...but mills chose him and I don't have much confidence in what Mills does either.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
HEZI
RealGM

Post#155 » by HEZI » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

whocares1 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

I think the plan is to acquire young talented players no matter the source(free agency, draft, trade,etc). The identity is supposed to be a gritty blue collar defensive team that plays hard. They’re obviously failing but I think that’s what they’re trying to sell.

So in other words "throwing shyt at the wall to see what sticks". We're basically following the Nets blueprint :nonono:
DENVER NUGGETS
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,394

Post#156 » by dakomish23 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

god shammgod wrote:then tank next year you stupid motherf*cker. he's giving you an out to suck for a minute. take it dummy.

If they did this, it would be great.

But the first 3 game winning streak, that approach is going out the window.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#157 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:22 pm

its theoretically possible that this is actually true and people who are complaining about not being able to be patient and rebuild are just complaining yet again for the sound of their own voices

or its all BS and we trade KP for Al Horford
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#158 » by camillepd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Sark wrote:Scott Perry gave out big contracts to Zach Randolph, Vince Carter, and George Hill before leaving Sacramento. I don't think he knows how to build a roster with veterans nor with youth.

But if you recall, when he did these signings last off season, they were widely lauded throughout the league as solid moves.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#159 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm

HEZI wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Building around KP is our direction right now. Getting players that fit his timeline. That means getting younger. Developing youth and a defensive identity is the plan. This isn't 2k here. You have to actually use a thought process other then selecting names from a list and pressing a button.

We have SEVERAL young players to work with now. Finding out who sticks and filling in the gaps is the next phase. The HC will determine the actual identity around the roster they JUST STARTED putting together.

Frank/Burke/Timmy/Dotson/Baker/Troy/Kornet(?)/lottery pick/ high 2nd rd pick/KP healing. That's your foundation right now. Kanter is anyone's guess. The rest of the team we hope to contend with isn't here yet. Crawl...walk...run. That's the process. Patience.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#160 » by camillepd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 pm

HEZI wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

So in other words "throwing shyt at the wall to see what sticks". We're basically following the Nets blueprint :nonono:

The Nets blueprint is not bad one. It's just that they have their own draft picks.

Return to New York Knicks