ImageImageImage

MIN at HOU Gm 2: How does the team respond?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Re: MIN at HOU Gm 2: How does the team respond? 

Post#41 » by CP1981 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:30 pm

I think they will be fine. They just have to get off to a better start. The slow starts can kill you against a team like the Rockets

Like myself and another member mentioned in the other thread, when Anderson returns, stick a guy on him and tell him dont leave him. Force Anderson to pass, take a contested shot, or attack off the dribble. The only thing the defender should concern himself with is Anderson. His 3's in the regular season game sparked almost all of their runs.

I also liked what Klomp said earlier, let Harden get his but limit the role players. We all know Harden is going to score a ton but if you can limit the others then it gives you a better chance to win

This is the strategy the Hawks used against the Magic some years ago in the playoffs. When we played the Magic under Mike Woodson ( I'm a Hawks fan for those that dont know) he had us double team Dwight on dang near every catch. Dwight would just wait for the double to come and kick out for the open 3's. They absolutely killed us. I think they won a few games by like 50 points. It was ugly. Everyone and I mean everyone saw that doubling Dwight was killing us but Woodson refused to adjust. It was embarrassing.

Well Larry Drew took over and we faced the Magic again in the playoffs. LD adjusted what we were doing previously and we stopped doubling Dwight. He pretty much said let Dwight get whatever he wants but stay home on the shooters. Dwight had a big series but the role players didn't do much of anything. They weren't getting those open 3's and they didn't really have guys that could create off the dribble. We ended up winning that series.

So yea let Harden get his but stay home on those shooters, force them to beat you off the dribble, give up the rock, or make tough contested shots. Limit those other guys and it gives the Wolves a better chance at winning.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#42 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:44 pm

CP1981 wrote:I think they will be fine. They just have to get off to a better start. The slow starts can kill you against a team like the Rockets

Like myself and another member mentioned in the other thread, when Anderson returns, stick a guy on him and tell him dont leave him. Force Anderson to pass, take a contested shot, or attack off the dribble. The only thing the defender should concern himself with is Anderson. His 3's in the regular season game sparked almost all of their runs.

I also liked what Klomp said earlier, let Harden get his but limit the role players. We all know Harden is going to score a ton but if you can limit the others then it gives you a better chance to win

This is the strategy the Hawks used against the Magic some years ago in the playoffs. When we played the Magic under Mike Woodson ( I'm a Hawks fan for those that dont know) he had us double team Dwight on dang near every catch. Dwight would just wait for the double to come and kick out for the open 3's. They absolutely killed us. I think they won a few games by like 50 points. It was ugly. Everyone and I mean everyone saw that doubling Dwight was killing us but Woodson refused to adjust. It was embarrassing.

Well Larry Drew took over and we faced the Magic again in the playoffs. LD adjusted what we were doing previously and we stopped doubling Dwight. He pretty much said let Dwight get whatever he wants but stay home on the shooters. Dwight had a big series but the role players didn't do much of anything. They weren't getting those open 3's and they didn't really have guys that could create off the dribble. We ended up winning that series.

So yea let Harden get his but stay home on those shooters, force them to beat you off the dribble, give up the rock, or make tough contested shots. Limit those other guys and it gives the Wolves a better chance at winning.

Similar thing did the rockets. They were switching on everything, baiting KAT on a miss match in the post, then swarming KAT, forcing to kick out and move the ball, which wasn't a strong point for us (the spacing, the ball movement or the 3pt shooting) all season long.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,842

Post#43 » by life_saver » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Rewatched the final play...Teague was open...why couldn't Jimmy pass instead of taking an extremely tough shot like that? Teague was asking for the ball the moment Jimmy shot
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#44 » by vagelis » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:22 pm

The next game is important if we want to stay in the series.
I think that we will win at least one game of the first 2 in our home but before of that we need to take the win in the upcoming in Houston.
Time is with our side and as the playoffs continue we will get better.

My opinion is that Thibs maybe should try a smallball lineup with our best players
Rose, Teague, Wiggins, Butler, Towns

I think Houston plays smallball too, for some parts of the game
I also think that Rose should be the pg of this team for more minutes and run the offense. He can destroy defenses easily when he has the ball in his hands.

The biggest problems that were obvious in first game was defense on Harden and rim protection when the oponents drive to the basket.
Somehow we need to give more help defense on Harden and focus more when he gets screens.

I know that it will not happen but I think that there could be a possibility that Patton could give some better rim protection with his 7'1 height and his quick feet. But I cannot be sure about that because I have not see him against nba competition
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#45 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 pm

im on board with the letting the star player get his. also with Wiggins taller and faster than Jimmy, lets try putting him on Harden to start the game...I remember the last few years Harden having horrendous shooting nights vs the Wolves when Andrew guarding him.

This is all easier to defend when we discuss it on message boards, and its annoying to read the posts about KAT needing to be benched...this is a historic offense. one guy isnt going to stop it. we can only hope to slow it down. The 90% shots to capella need to be reduced majorly
life_saver
General Manager

Post#46 » by life_saver » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Regarding KAT's defense..there were many instances where Harden was driving to rim and KAT also had Capela behind him. If KAT tries to stop Harden, then he will just pass it to Capela...if instead KAT tries to stick with Capela, then it's an easy layup for Harden. So, what exactly KAT can do here? I mean KAT has his faults defensively but I seriously don't know what he can do here.
Bucketgetter
Pro Prospect
And1: 197

Post#47 » by Bucketgetter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 pm

We need major changes if we want to win. If Houston continues to defend by switching every pick and roll, we need to exploit that. They are basically taking the pick and roll out of the game, but letting us have whatever matchup we want. So every time, as soon as we get down the court, you run a pick and roll with KAT and the guy you want guarding KAT (Harden, Paul, Gordon, Green, Anderson, etc.). When they switch, you clear out and give the ball to KAT. Obviously they will double, because if they don't KAT would score 150. So when they double, KAT finds the open man, and now you have 4 on 3. Work on that every single time in practice. Hopefully, Houston will be forced with trying to defend the pick and roll properly and not be able to switch because this works. Then you're able to run the offense you want.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#48 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Read on Twitter
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#49 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:46 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:
Read on Twitter

It was obvious at game speed. And its even more obvious that there is a different set of rules for harden. I dont blame harden, but I do blame the refs because they are openly bias in favor of harden.

He's allowed to create unreal separation with that move and the illegal stiff arms he gives when driving to the rim.
Ranger
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#50 » by Ranger » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Houston will not shoot this poorly again from three. Either we figure out a way to score about a billion more points, or we're going to get death star'd.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#51 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:20 am

upriser7 wrote:Rewatched the final play...Teague was open...why couldn't Jimmy pass instead of taking an extremely tough shot like that? Teague was asking for the ball the moment Jimmy shot

Because Jimmy is confident in his abilities....guess that's a bad thing now.

People are begging for Towns to demand the ball, but are furious when Butler wants to take command. It makes no sense.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 am

vagelis wrote:My opinion is that Thibs maybe should try a smallball lineup with our best players
Rose, Teague, Wiggins, Butler, Towns

He ran a small ball lineup for about 10 minutes last night.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

RazorC
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#53 » by RazorC » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 am

Klomp wrote:
upriser7 wrote:Rewatched the final play...Teague was open...why couldn't Jimmy pass instead of taking an extremely tough shot like that? Teague was asking for the ball the moment Jimmy shot

People are begging for Towns to demand the ball, but are furious when Butler wants to take command. It makes no sense.

It's one thing to take command but its another to look off your teammates and force up a shot like he did. Especially when it's not the first time. I like his approach in general but that was over the top.
RazorC
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#54 » by RazorC » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 am

Klomp wrote:

It's one thing to take command but its another to look off your teammates and force up a shot like he did. Especially when it's not the first time. I like his approach in general but that was over the top.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 am

And if he passed to Teague who missed, a bunch of people would be roasting Jimmy for not having the balls to take the last shot.

southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

MIN at HOU Gm 2: How does the team respond? 

Post#56 » by southern wolf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 am

The main two things I want to see are us being more physical with Harden on d and making an effort to get Towns going early. I don’t care if Harden shoots a bunch of free throws, but at least make him earn them.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#57 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:50 am

southern wolf wrote:The main two things I want to see are us being more physical with Harden on d and making an effort to get Towns going early. I don’t care if Harden shoots a bunch of free throws, but at least make him earn them.

You cant be physical on harden without getting called for a foul. The refs have dictated in game 1 on how they are going to call anything related to harden. Now our genius defensive minded coach needs to adjust.

https://streamable.com/8uq0q
life_saver
General Manager

Post#58 » by life_saver » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:56 am

Klomp wrote:

Being confident in your abilities is fine but when we have already seen so many times this season that Jimmy hero ball in clutch time hasn't worked, why still keep pursuing it every time instead of looking for some other play or atleast looking for an open teammate?
life_saver
General Manager

Post#59 » by life_saver » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:57 am

Some Wolves fans on twitter have some irrational hate towards Rose lol
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 am

upriser7 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Being confident in your abilities is fine but when we have already seen so many times this season that Jimmy hero ball in clutch time hasn't worked, why still keep pursuing it every time instead of looking for some other play or atleast looking for an open teammate?

Again, the double standard.

People say Towns should be demanding the ball in a game he shot 33%. Being confident in your abilities is fine but when we have already seen so many times this game that going to Towns hasn't worked, why still keep pursuing it every time instead of looking for some other play or atleast looking for an open teammate?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves