ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2018 Off-season Discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Re: Mavericks 2018 Off-season Discussion 

Post#41 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 am

Pinkyring wrote:For me im simple. I think we draft in the 3-5 range and i want a big,mpj is actually my preference if his bag checks out, main reason i wanted top 3 wasn't so much about the player but the flexibility of being able to move back, so if u get 3 and mpj or bamba are who u want and will go 5 or 6, if sac or chi wanna get up there and u can still get your guy, flip picks to dump wes or for future assets. But I'll do my off season based on a simple pick

Draft mpj or bagley
2nd round josh okogie and jevon carter

Let all the free agents walk except seth if we can get him reason 3/12-15

Try to dump wes if a team like philly doesnt want to reassign reddick long term we can flip wes for bayless

Stay as far away from randle as possible and semi far from gordon

Throw max at dmc, if he doesnt accept then pursue favors 14m per and kcp 11 per and call it an offseason, maybe a 40 win team with another lotto pick next season and 27m more off the books with wes, barea, and dirk expiring as well as hopefully barnes walking or if he stays, getting him down to 16-18 where he belongs

Roster would be
Dsj/barea/carter
Kcp/wes(or Bayless)okogie
Barnes/dfs
Porter or bagley/Powell/maxi
Favors/dirk/powell/maxi

We'd have a good mix of vets and youth with another 30m in room next summer, 12m roughly if we are stuck resigning barnes long term

I would do that. Both parts, move from 3 to 5 and the trade. I don’t know about Favors or Cousins. I don’t want any part of Cousins and Favors does play some Center but he’s really a PF. If cap space is what they want and Randle, Gordon, Capela, and Nurkic are off the table I would just save the cap space and resign Salah for 2 more seasons at a really low salary. They would go into next off season with a lot more than 30 mil. And by going 3 to 5 you could get a top 5 protected pick from Sac or Chi.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#42 » by Lord Cuban » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Read on Twitter
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#43 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 am

Lord Cuban wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree with most of the article and think DFS, McDermott and Yogi could have key roles on this team going forward.

If we have 30mil available hopefully we can lure all-star material in FA.

Either way our draft pick and/or FA will need to be our 1st or 2nd best player 3 years from now.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#44 » by fuller4379 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Mavs 1st round pick plus Wes Mathews for Kawhi Leonard.

Mavs get a stud plus keep some salary cap space to add a piece. Spurs get a cornerstone to rebuild around and dump a player who is turning into a headache and needs a fresh start.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#45 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree with most of the article and think DFS, McDermott and Yogi could have key roles on this team going forward.

Either way our draft pick and/or FA will need to be our 1st or 2nd best player 3 years from now.

There is no reason to bring back much of anything on this loser thats not already signed, yogi is a 3rd string pg we shouldn't be wasting cap on, id pick up dfs option and only keep doug in the 5m per neighborhood
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#46 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:
Read on Twitter

There is no reason to bring back much of anything on this loser thats not already signed, yogi is a 3rd string pg we shouldn't be wasting cap on, id pick up dfs option and only keep doug in the 5m per neighborhood

Yogi >> McBuckets
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#47 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I agree with most of the article and think DFS, McDermott and Yogi could have key roles on this team going forward.

Yogi >> McBuckets

No, mcbuckets has a legit high level nba skill, yogi is average at everything and undersized
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#48 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:There is no reason to bring back much of anything on this loser thats not already signed, yogi is a 3rd string pg we shouldn't be wasting cap on, id pick up dfs option and only keep doug in the 5m per neighborhood

Yogi >> McBuckets

No, mcbuckets has a legit high level nba skill, yogi is average at everything and undersized

I'll take Yogi.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#49 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Yogi >> McBuckets

I'll take Yogi.

I personally think we need to let both of them walk, shooters are everywhere and yogi is a 3rd point guard u can get those in 2nd round of every draft and pay them 500k, there's a reason he went undrafted
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#50 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I agree with most of the article and think DFS, McDermott and Yogi could have key roles on this team going forward.

Yogi >> McBuckets

He’s also played more than DFS. No need wasting cap space on a guy that barely plays.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#51 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Mr B wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:There is no reason to bring back much of anything on this loser thats not already signed, yogi is a 3rd string pg we shouldn't be wasting cap on, id pick up dfs option and only keep doug in the 5m per neighborhood

Yogi >> McBuckets

He’s also played more than DFS. No need wasting cap space on a guy that barely plays.

Dfs is still on a cheap deal i couldn't careless whether we keep him or not but yogi will probably get in 3 or 4 million range and even know thats nothing, we still have jj and I'd like seth back, we can replace yogi with a second round 500k guy
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think you under rate Yogi but I do agree we shouldn't over pay him when there should be some nice options to replace him late in the draft.
Devonte Graham or Jevon Carter would be nice potential replacements and would come pretty cheap.

I also think Svi Mykhailiuk would be a cheaper version of McDermott and should be available with our first 2nd pick.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#53 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

I think you under rate Yogi but I do agree we shouldn't over pay him when there should be some nice options to replace him late in the draft.
Devonte Graham or Jevon Carter would be nice potential replacements and would come pretty cheap.

I also think Svi Mykhailiuk would be a cheaper version of McDermott and should be available with our first 2nd pick.

How do i underrate him, He's a small pg not a defender, not a playmaker or scorer he's just decent all around, on a good team he's a sparkplug guy but if we get good and dennis goes down he's not a fill a guy there's literally no point in keeping him
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:01 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Yogi >> McBuckets

Dfs is still on a cheap deal i couldn't careless whether we keep him or not but yogi will probably get in 3 or 4 million range and even know thats nothing, we still have jj and I'd like seth back, we can replace yogi with a second round 500k guy

Yogi at 3 or 4 mil would be just fine. JJ is the guy we need to move and I think Seth will be costly too.
Not sure why you'd rather keep a 34 and 28 yo that will most likely cost more than a 25 yo who still has an upside.

I think Yogi will get offered more from another team so I do agree we should let him go. I'd use that 2nd pick on a possible replacement just to have some leverage and insurance.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

How do i underrate him, He's a small pg not a defender, not a playmaker or scorer he's just decent all around, on a good team he's a sparkplug guy but if we get good and dennis goes down he's not a fill a guy there's literally no point in keeping him

How do you figure he isn't a good defender?
He is always the quickest guy on the court and nobody can get around him. He pesters the hell out of opposing pgs and often gets them frustrated and out of their games. You put too much emphasis on size and only seem to see him have trouble when other teams post him.
That is all on the coach....no reason to play him with Barea and/or DSJ and playing guys like Powell and Dirk at center with no rim protection or weak side help is a problem as well. He is the perfect replacement for Barea.

I'm fine with letting Yogi go if we draft Doncic because there would not be as much need and we'd need as much cap space as possible for front court FAs.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#56 » by Pinkyring » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yogi at 3 or 4 mil would be just fine. JJ is the guy we need to move and I think Seth will be costly too.
Not sure why you'd rather keep a 34 and 28 yo that will most likely cost more than a 25 yo who still has an upside.

I think Yogi will get offered more from another team so I do agree we should let him go. I'd use that 2nd pick on a possible replacement just to have some leverage and insurance.

Id prefer to dump jj but he only has a year left so whats the point and if we are aiming for the playoffs he's much better than yogi, as far as seth he has shown to be a knockdown shooter and could provide a good 15 off the bench in limited minutes i see him as a jet type 6th man and i wouldn't even pay him more than 5 per. But what yogi provides any 2nd round pick pg can provide there's just no reason to lock up a 3rd string point for 4m per when we have so many other needs. I dont hate yogi but he doesn't have the talent to be a quality backup point on a good team so why pay him anything more than a minimum?
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#57 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Dfs is still on a cheap deal i couldn't careless whether we keep him or not but yogi will probably get in 3 or 4 million range and even know thats nothing, we still have jj and I'd like seth back, we can replace yogi with a second round 500k guy

Id prefer to dump jj but he only has a year left so whats the point and if we are aiming for the playoffs he's much better than yogi, as far as seth he has shown to be a knockdown shooter and could provide a good 15 off the bench in limited minutes i see him as a jet type 6th man and i wouldn't even pay him more than 5 per. But what yogi provides any 2nd round pick pg can provide there's just no reason to lock up a 3rd string point for 4m per when we have so many other needs. I dont hate yogi but he doesn't have the talent to be a quality backup point on a good team so why pay him anything more than a minimum?

I see JJ and Wes as our two best trade pieces this season so I'd rather have Yogi in place as DSJ's backup...not his backcourt mate which is where Rick seems to like to play him.

Yogi is a two-way player, smart, good fit, confident, tenacious defender and has the ability to score. I'll agee that he isn't the best play-maker but he is the all-time assist leader at Indiana so he has it in him. He would be better than any PG we draft in 2nd round if we are looking to be in POs next season.

I won't be upset if Yogi isn't on the roster next season but at 3 or 4 mil he'd be worth every penny. Now if someone offers him a crazy deal like Powell got that is another story. I think the argument is probably moot though because someone will likely offer him more than 4 mil.

If we were in a position to sign legit star caliber FAs in their prime then I'd be more inclined to agree with you about Yogi to save cap space but it isn't going to kill us to sign him to 3 or 4 mil when he is able to produce and still has an upside. The guys who will sign here are not worth the max so I don't see Yogi being a burden to our cap situation in that regard.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#58 » by JamesConway » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wow. Can't believe how hard this is blowing up in the faces of the Bucks. Jabari is as gone as any player can be.

I seriously like the idea of signing him if he checks out medically but all these interviews are a terrible look. Makes him look absolutely terrible the way he is handling this situation.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#59 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 am

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wow. Can't believe how hard this is blowing up in the faces of the Bucks. Jabari is as gone as any player can be.

I seriously like the idea of signing him if he checks out medically but all these interviews are a terrible look. Makes him look absolutely terrible the way he is handling this situation.

He's a terrible fit here next to barnes two iso forwards that don't shoot playmake rebound or defend at an above average level
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#60 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:00 am

Read on Twitter

We can try to add Randle with a 4 years/64 millions contract
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks