ImageImageImage

Fire SVG

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Re: Fire SVG 

Post#201 » by MrBigShot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Drummond DID take the game more seriously this season. He upped his scoring efficiency, improved his FT% significantly, improved by leaps and bounds as a passer/decision maker and improved on the defensive end. His effort was more consistent.

Our season was disappointing but Dre was a bright spot, and if things hadn't gone downhill he'd have made one of the all NBA teams.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,667

Post#202 » by Cowology » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:37 pm

I honestly believe that IF Reggie was healthy the entire season we finish around a 4/5 seed. The obvious problem is that the dude is never healthy, and even when he is our ceiling is capped.

How much do you penalize SVG for that? It was a solid trade in terms of value. The value on his new contract isn't even terrible in today's market.

It's all the crap bench players we keep overpaying and his reluctance to develop anybody that really bothers me. Our drafting has been pretty spotty as well.

Overall I don't think he's terrible, but i do think its time for a new voice and someone who can hopefully usher us into the modern era in terms of gameplay.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#203 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:46 pm

Cowology wrote:I honestly believe that IF Reggie was healthy the entire season we finish around a 4/5 seed. The obvious problem is that the dude is never healthy, and even when he is our ceiling is capped.

How much do you penalize SVG for that?

You really think a healthy Reggie Jackson moves this team up five positions in the standings?

How much do you penalize SVG? All of it. This team is his creation, the credit is his if they succeed, the egg is on his face when they fail. And, they guy has enough egg on his face to serve this whole sub omelettes at this point.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#204 » by bstein14 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:07 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Cowology wrote:I honestly believe that IF Reggie was healthy the entire season we finish around a 4/5 seed. The obvious problem is that the dude is never healthy, and even when he is our ceiling is capped.

How much do you penalize SVG for that?

You really think a healthy Reggie Jackson moves this team up five positions in the standings?

How much do you penalize SVG? All of it. This team is his creation, the credit is his if they succeed, the egg is on his face when they fail. And, they guy has enough egg on his face to serve this whole sub omelettes at this point.

We didn't have a good third string PG this year. Ish is a top 5 backup PG but in a starting role he's bottom 5 in the league for sure. There is a huge drop off from Reggie to our 3rd stringers this year. Stan's biggest coaching mistake this season was not letting Luke play backup PG after the Reggie injury.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#205 » by Crymson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:54 am

Joe Berry wrote:This is so true. SVG needed almost 4 years to maximise Drummond's output offensively, and all that was destroyed with the Griffin trade. They took the ball out of Drummonds hands and gave it to Griffin.
Drummond's passing ability is nullified, he is forced to occupy the post-up space around the basket with Griffin handling the ball, making the spacing worse for everyone on the court. With Drummond handling the ball at the top of the key there was space under the basket for cuts, Drummond could drive to the basket or make a hand-off play to a guard, all that is not possible with Drummond & Griffin on the court together.
Griffin needs a stretch 5 next to him for optimal fit. All that talk about Griffins great abilities and they basically sabotaged their other franchise player, this is as stupid as it gets.

Well said. This trade made the organization's franchise player into a sideshow just as he was really coming into his own, made a team that had suffered major injuries three years in a row even more injury-prone, got rid of shooting that the team desperately needed, and raised total cap hit to only just short of the luxury tax despite the team having numerous unaddressed needs. The recompense is "OMG WE GOT A STAR. OMG BLAKE GRIFFIN." Yeah, great.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#206 » by Crymson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 am

How much do you penalize SVG for that? It was a solid trade in terms of value. The value on his new contract isn't even terrible in today's market.

The trade was perfectly fine. Is that what you're asking?

It's all the crap bench players we keep overpaying and his reluctance to develop anybody that really bothers me. Our drafting has been pretty spotty as well.

Overpaying bench players isn't the problem, though it has undoubtedly hurt. The problem is that we've got a terribly-constructed roster that's near the luxury line. Even if Galloway and Leuer vanished into the ether tomorrow, the Pistons would still be at or around the salary cap. They've got $75 million invested next season into a much crappier version of the Clippers' big three, with two overlapping bigs, two ball-dominant players, and ZERO good shooters. That's absolutely dreadful value, and that doesn't even get into the fact that two of them have major health concerns.

Overall I don't think he's terrible, but i do think its time for a new voice and someone who can hopefully usher us into the modern era in terms of gameplay.

As both coach and GM, he's made numerous major decisions that have run totally counter to logic.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,094

Post#207 » by The Moose » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 am

Anyone else think we could've waited and possibly tried to trade the same package for Kawhi.

Something like
Tobias
12th pick
Stanley Johnson
Kennard
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#208 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:29 am

The Moose wrote:Anyone else think we could've waited and possibly tried to trade the same package for Kawhi.

Something like
Tobias
12th pick
Stanley Johnson
Kennard

Well the clippers have already said there going after him. If we see something like both those 1st T.Harris and a future pick or two get him then we know that we missed out. I still think the celtics top that offer with a Tatum or Brown + kings pick style offer.

Though one thing is for sure we've seen over recent years that the price of a star like Butler/Cousins/Irving/PG13 is attainable. So maybe that offer + a future 1st actually could of got us Leonard. Would of been nice to save our resources and cap space for a guy like Kiwi or the prior 4 I mentioned rather then jump the gun for a injured overpaid Blake that no one else in the league wanted. I wouldnt want Cousins either despite him being more valuable then Blake but a Irving/PG/Butler/Kiwi would of been worth using some resources.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#209 » by Crymson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:48 pm

The Moose wrote:Anyone else think we could've waited and possibly tried to trade the same package for Kawhi.

Something like
Tobias
12th pick
Stanley Johnson
Kennard

That's nowhere near enough. A year of Tobias, a year of Stanley, a mid-first and Kennard for Kawhi Leonard? Not a chance. He's one of the best players in the league. He'll draw a massive package. He's the franchise cornerstone for whichever team he goes to.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#210 » by DCintheD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Something like
Tobias
12th pick
Stanley Johnson
Kennard

guarantee this coulda gotten us something wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than Blake. Blake is a$$
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,094

Post#211 » by The Moose » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Crymson wrote:

Something like
Tobias
12th pick
Stanley Johnson
Kennard

That's nowhere near enough. A year of Tobias, a year of Stanley, a mid-first and Kennard for Kawhi Leonard? Not a chance. He's one of the best players in the league. He'll draw a massive package. He's the franchise cornerstone for whichever team he goes to.

Eh, star players never get an equal return. If he does get traded, it will probably be for less than people predict online
Crymson
Rookie

Post#212 » by Crymson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 pm

The Moose wrote:Eh, star players never get an equal return. If he does get traded, it will probably be for less than people predict online

Sometimes true, but irrelevant to this particular example. That package is pitifully small.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#213 » by pistonsbball » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Would've happened by now if it was gonna happen. Multiple teams are already interviewing coaches.

Think we'll see how next season pans out. I think SVG leaves anyway unless we're a genuine contender.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#214 » by Kilo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:39 pm

If SVG is brought back I'd want a few conditions - one being all future FRP's are not allowed to be traded. Another one being we need a new back-up PG brought in because Ish Smith has proven he cannot start in the league and Reggie Jackson has missed huge chunks in each of the last two seasons now. Third we have to pay the tax and spend the full MLE on somebody other than Tolliver.

Ish and Johnson for a PG upgrade and then sign a 2/3 swing with the full MLE.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Crymson
Rookie

Post#215 » by Crymson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:16 am

Kilo wrote:If SVG is brought back I'd want a few conditions - one being all future FRP's are not allowed to be traded.

SVG has traded one first-round pick, and that was undoubtedly on a win-now directive from Gores.

Another one being we need a new back-up PG brought in because Ish Smith has proven he cannot start in the league and Reggie Jackson has missed huge chunks in each of the last two seasons now.

Hogwash. The team would easily have made the playoffs in 2016-2017 had he started the entire campaign. The drop-off was so immense this season for two reasons, both native to this particular team rather than his own qualities as a player. The first is that the Pistons were a horrible shooting team. Ish must be surrounded by players who can shoot the ball reasonably well if he's to be successful; he isn't a good shooter himself, but he is an excellent playmaker. In the event, he had a horribly-slumping Avery Bradley and a non-shooting Andre Drummond, thus endowing him with a whopping two good shooters in Harris and Bullock. This got even worse when Harris was moved for Griffin, as that number was reduced to one.

The second was Van Gundy's putrid coaching. As he is wont to do, he was unable to properly adapt to Jackson's absence. His solution was to throw offense to a tremendously underperforming and altogether undeserving Avery Bradley whilst simultaneously misusing the very reliable Tobias Harris on inefficient two-point plays. The result was a team that couldn't score.

Though he's not preferable as a starter, Ish can be a serviceable one. Just not for this season's team, and not for its coach.

Third we have to pay the tax and spend the full MLE on somebody other than Tolliver.

If we spend the full MLE, we'll be hard-capped at the $129 million Apron. This team currently has about $118 million, and the full MLE will be about $9 million. That'll leave the team with only $2 million with which to address any of its other needs. We'll also be hard-capped at the Apron if we spend any more than about $5.7 million of the MLE. This is barring the divestiture of any contracts.

Except not. This team absolutely, positively needs Johnson to develop, so tossing him away would be rather foolish; moreover, he has far less value to any other team than he has to the Pistons. The roster has zero good small forwards on it; he's got to be it. The org has got no way to replace him, and certainly no way to both replace him and sign a backup small forward with what little cap space is available.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#216 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:27 am

Kilo wrote:If SVG is brought back I'd want a few conditions - one being all future FRP's are not allowed to be traded. Another one being we need a new back-up PG brought in because Ish Smith has proven he cannot start in the league and Reggie Jackson has missed huge chunks in each of the last two seasons now. Third we have to pay the tax and spend the full MLE on somebody other than Tolliver.

I'd make a no more draft pick condition. Hes moved this years lotto pick and what 3-4 future 2nd rounders? Not to mention he tried trading another 1st for Montiejunas that one season. I know there just 2nd rounders but we owe alot of them through 2022.

SVG pistons seem to take the opposite approach of "the process" who stacked 2nd rounders.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#217 » by King Bugs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:25 am

pistonsbball wrote:Would've happened by now if it was gonna happen. Multiple teams are already interviewing coaches.

Think we'll see how next season pans out. I think SVG leaves anyway unless we're a genuine contender.

Pretty much, looks like we're waiting until mid-season for the SVG "lame duck" firing when the team gives up on him (again) and we're out of the playoffs with a worst record than Brooklyn somehow.

We're just wasting seasons for absolutely no reason and it's so frustrating.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,441

Post#218 » by Canadafan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:46 pm

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/bjpbd8/meet-the-defensive-genius-behind-the-rockets-championship-push?utm_source=vicesportstwitter

Can we just get this guy please? Lol wow he would sure get us back on track as a defensive "pistons" type team
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#219 » by detroitKG » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 am

Read on Twitter
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 556

Post#220 » by LaSheed » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 am

Idk whats gonna happen. I dont think Gores fires SVG with 1 year left.

Return to Detroit Pistons