ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who's Your Daddy?!

Capn'O
35%
DK
6%
KoC
3%
NLR
6%
GONYK
15%
Moocow
12%
Remi
6%
KT
15%
Thorn
No votes
Thugger
3%

Total votes: 34

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: 2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.) 

Post#1761 » by br7knicks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 am

Fat Kat wrote:
br7knicks wrote:if kanter and paul george opt out, what else do the knicks have to shed to give PG a realistic offer?

i know knicks have .33% chance of george wanting to come to NY, but hes one of the few players out there that i like

it looks like projected salary cap is about $101 million. knicks are at just about ~$100 million. if kanter, baker, and koq opt out, that puts knicks at just under $73 million. that enough for PG? or am i missing something? contract of 2018 rookie?

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams

RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1762 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:10 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:I got a name.
He’s 25-ish. He’s a natural small forward that plays power forward and center. Former first round pick.
Lefty. Had good stints for a championship organization a few years back...I think he ended up in China.
A regular old Scott Perry bring-em-back from the dead reclamation project. I’m sure he’ll take the minimum.

No, not Michael Beasley.
Terrence Jones. I never understood his career.
He always played well when I saw him.
He improved his range and added to his game but he could never stick. He’s not the scorer Bucket is (who is?) but he’s a better defender (who isn’t?) for sure.
We aren’t trying to break the bank and we aren’t gonna blow our draft wad on a four (unless you consider Miles a four—which he isn’t) so why not take a flier on a skilled, experienced, versatile 25 year old ex-Caliparian forward? I think he’d be a good placeholder at the four til
KP makes it back. And maybe he carves out a role for us going forward.

I really liked TJ. I’d bring him In for a camp invite for sure. He’s probably making more in China though.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#1763 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:32 pm

knicksh20b wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
This.

Giving Hardaway a 17 mil contract was already a mistake. We need to better manage our money and save it for a real star or at least draft another star and look to add role players later.

We have a cheap version of Jeremi Grant in Troy Williams. No reason to toss 10 million on another role player when we are still paying Lance/Lee/Baker/Noah/Hardaway/Oquinn?/Kanter?/Beasley?

Have enough role players here. Just need another game changer or two before we start tossing out more money.

Oquinn is great for the locker room. I think he’s worth bringing back. Beasley on a Lance type of contact is worth bringing back also. Then fill in the pieces and look to move Lance/Lee to make up for Oquinn and Beasley’s contracts or wait for them to expire.

Year 2020 we should be looking to add a big free agent or two when Noah/Lee/Lance/Baker/Kanter are all off the books.

fans have become accountants

sad and boring

Accounting and winning is more fun than spending foolishly and losing.

And false equivalency is more fun than reality apparently

All the accounting we see here hasn’t lead to anything

Cap space doesn’t win games
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#1764 » by NYKHardKnock » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Another one of my fantasy off season..

Fired Jeff Hornacek (check)
Hire Jerry Stackhouse

Let Enes Kanter walk.

Trades:
Phoenix receives:
9th Overall Pick
Emmanuel Mudiay
Lance Thomas
New York receives:
16th Overall Pick
31st Overall Pick
2019 2nd Round Pick
Alex Len
--------
Minnesota Receives:
Courtney Lee
36-37 Overall Pick
New York Recieves
22nd Overall Pick
48th Overall Pick
Cole Aldrich
----------
2018 NBA Draft
16th Pick: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (PG/SG)
22nd Pick: Keita Bates-Diop (SF)
31st Pick: Isaac Bonga (SG/SF/PF)
48th Pick: Aaron Holiday (SG)

***We draft our Mitchell (SGA) AND Kuzma (KBD)
----------
2018 Free Agency
Kyle O'Quinn - 3yrs/36m
Julius Randle - 4yrs/80m
Wilson Chandler - 2yrs/20m

Our roster looks like to begin season w/o KP
~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 New York Knicks
Head Coach:Jerry Stackhouse
G:Trey Burke
G:Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
F:Wilson Chandler
F:Julius Randle
C:Kyle O'Quinn

Bench:
G:Frank Ntilikina
G:Tim Hardaway Jr.
F:Keita Bates-Diop
F:Isaac Bonga
C:Alex Len

Aaron Holiday start in Westchester.

~~~~~
A quick summary with KP returning

Trey Burke | Frank Ntilikina
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander | Tim Hardaway Jr
Wilson Chandler | Keita Bates-Diop | Issac Bonga
Julius Randle | Kyle O'Quinn | Issac Bonga
Kristaps Porzingis | Alex Len | Kyle O'Quinn
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#1765 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:fans have become accountants

sad and boring

Bad signings lead us away from wins. Even good signings, that don't fit into the plan, have a chance to hurt our team. Good signings, combined with good team building, lead us to sustainable long-term winning. Your ideas? They were bad. I can tell, because when people called you out on your bad idea, you resorted to complaining about "accounting" as opposed to defending the idea of signing Jerami Grant or Hezonja. It's funny that you're arguing that accounting doesn't lead to anything, when you're advocating signing mediocre players. Has anything else led us as far away from wins as signing mediocre players? Cap space doesn't win games but using cap space irresponsibly sets a franchise back.

Yea, it's time for fans to be accountants, so that we don't have this dumb stereotype that "you can't rebuild in New York." Eff that.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1766 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:54 pm

knicksh20b wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:

Bad signings lead us away from wins. Even good signings, that don't fit into the plan, have a chance to hurt our team. Good signings, combined with good team building, lead us to sustainable long-term winning. Your ideas? They were bad. I can tell, because when people called you out on your bad idea, you resorted to complaining about "accounting" as opposed to defending the idea of signing Jerami Grant or Hezonja. It's funny that you're arguing that accounting doesn't lead to anything, when you're advocating signing mediocre players. Has anything else led us as far away from wins as signing mediocre players? Cap space doesn't win games but using cap space irresponsibly sets a franchise back.

Yea, it's time for fans to be accountants, so that we don't have this dumb stereotype that "you can't rebuild in New York." Eff that.
its funny because the reason I suggested grant and hezonja was because both are cheap prospects with major upside and won’t be breaking the bank

It’s unfortunate that you resort to such aggressive and unpleasant posting responses

My ideas weren’t bad. I stand by those two as good young options that are realistic.
I just don’t feel the need to defend that to you
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#1767 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:13 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:And false equivalency is more fun than reality apparently

its funny because the reason I suggested grant and hezonja was because both are cheap prospects with major upside and won’t be breaking the bank

It’s unfortunate that you resort to such aggressive and unpleasant posting responses

My ideas weren’t bad. I stand by those two as good young options that are realistic.

Yea, you were right. It was unpleasant, and I apologize for that. I did escalate.

From my end, I felt your posts were dismissive and passive-aggressive in the way you responded to others' arguments, especially after they put forth compelling points. Maybe it was not your intent but it was there. You don't need to defend yourself to me, in terms of your basketball arguments or your posting, though, and I guess you don't even need to respond to others' points in whatever they want. Let's end it here, and just get back to basketball.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1768 » by knickstape4ever » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Hypothetically, if KP were to be traded, what would the return be? For the right price I would definitely consider it based on his injury history/injury history of players his size
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,162

Post#1769 » by drekwins » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:32 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:And false equivalency is more fun than reality apparently

The thing is... cheap projects rarely ever work. Once guys get a reputation in the NBA, it's really hard to get their value back. The NBA is all about dynamic players. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against cheap projects but we need a better long-term plan. That's more of a crap shoot hail mary scheme.

Today, teams need players with length, speed, the ability to put the ball on the floor, the ability to shoot high percentage from behind the arc and a versatile defense. The Knicks really need to spend all of their time/resources on on finding a 2-way wing that fits this mold that can defend both the 3 and 4. If they can get this via Kawhi, Klay, Giannis, Georga or another guy who fit that mold, I think they'd give up a kings ransom.

You can't have just "blah" players anymore in your lineup. Offenses are way too productive. Every player has to, at a minimum, play tough defense and add at least 1 elite offensive skill (shooting, dribble penetration, great finishers, something). Without it, there's no way to keep up with the top tier teams. If we can get one more two-way all-star caliber talent next to KP and Frank, we'd be in great shape on the defensive end and keep getting better offensively. I really like Bridges because I think he fits this mold perfectly. But, I can see the Knicks trying to make a run at someone like Klay

When looking at Hezojna, he can be a good shooter but he'll never by dynamic on either end. I can't imagine him ever being a plus defender... and he'll never be a top 3 offensive option. Therefore, there's really no place for him in today's NBA. Grant on the other hand is a signing that I could get behind. His length, athleticism and defensive instincts are elite. His offense is also getting better. He'll never be a great at putting the ball on the floor but if he can develop a 3 point shot, he'll be an elite finisher, elite versatile defender and able to stretch the floor. That's a big time player in today's NBA.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1770 » by NoLayupRule » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm

drekwins wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:

The thing is... cheap projects rarely ever work. Once guys get a reputation in the NBA, it's really hard to get their value back. The NBA is all about dynamic players. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against cheap projects but we need a better long-term plan. That's more of a crap shoot hail mary scheme.

Today, teams need players with length, speed, the ability to put the ball on the floor, the ability to shoot high percentage from behind the arc and a versatile defense. The Knicks really need to spend all of their time/resources on on finding a 2-way wing that fits this mold that can defend both the 3 and 4. If they can get this via Kawhi, Klay, Giannis, Georga or another guy who fit that mold, I think they'd give up a kings ransom.

You can't have just "blah" players anymore in your lineup. Offenses are way too productive. Every player has to, at a minimum, play tough defense and add at least 1 elite offensive skill (shooting, dribble penetration, great finishers, something). Without it, there's no way to keep up with the top tier teams. If we can get one more two-way all-star caliber talent next to KP and Frank, we'd be in great shape on the defensive end and keep getting better offensively. I really like Bridges because I think he fits this mold perfectly. But, I can see the Knicks trying to make a run at someone like Klay

When looking at Hezojna, he can be a good shooter but he'll never by dynamic on either end. I can't imagine him ever being a plus defender... and he'll never be a top 3 offensive option. Therefore, there's really no place for him in today's NBA. Grant on the other hand is a signing that I could get behind. His length, athleticism and defensive instincts are elite. His offense is also getting better. He'll never be a great at putting the ball on the floor but if he can develop a 3 point shot, he'll be an elite finisher, elite versatile defender and able to stretch the floor. That's a big time player in today's NBA.

its not all or nothing
its not a waste if its not a superstar

real teams are built out of many pieces
if Mario becomes a high attitude shot maker we could really use that
If Grant becomes a solid defensive and versatile forward we could use that

you have to develop players

people seem to think we can just draft finished products

were not in a position to do so
deal with it and look for talent wherever it is including in guys like Burke who want a second chance or Mario or Grant
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#1771 » by drekwins » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
drekwins wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:its funny because the reason I suggested grant and hezonja was because both are cheap prospects with major upside and won’t be breaking the bank

its not all or nothing

deal with it and look for talent wherever it is including in guys like Burke who want a second chance or Mario or Grant

As I said, Grant fits in today's game. He's long, athletic, a finisher, elite on D and only a 3 ball away from being a big-time contributor in today's game. Hezojna has far too many holes and doesn't have the physical gifts to ever be "good" on D. It's not all about supperstars. It's about only getting guys that fit. Long, versatile defenders with foot speed and offensive potential are what I'd rather spend roster spots on. Don't waste any playing minutes or salary on someone that's not in the right mold.
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#1772 » by drekwins » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:Hypothetically, if KP were to be traded, what would the return be? For the right price I would definitely consider it based on his injury history/injury history of players his size

Equally as concerning is that he's so "closed minded" on playing the 5. Physical SFs are the new PF. In today's NBA, there's only room for one true big.

KP doesn't have the footspeed to play those guys and the league is only going to go in that direction more and more. If he doesn't accept playing the 5 and continues to have some injury issues, I'd be fine parting with him. It would have to be for a lot though.. hopefully a really good PG.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1773 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:17 am

drekwins wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
drekwins wrote:

its not all or nothing

As I said, Grant fits in today's game. He's long, athletic, a finisher, elite on D and only a 3 ball away from being a big-time contributor in today's game. Hezojna has far too many holes and doesn't have the physical gifts to ever be "good" on D. It's not all about supperstars. It's about only getting guys that fit. Long, versatile defenders with foot speed and offensive potential are what I'd rather spend roster spots on. Don't waste any playing minutes or salary on someone that's not in the right mold.

You’re gonna love it when we draft Trae young.

Lol

Suicide watch
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#1774 » by drekwins » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:23 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
drekwins wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:its not all or nothing

You’re gonna love it when we draft Trae young.

Lol

Suicide watch

You're right about that loll The kicker with him is if he shoots at a high clip from deep, his TS%/PPS will make up for a lot of his holes. With that said, he didn't shoot amazing percentages in college. His in-conference 3pt % was only 32.6% in 18 games. if he doesn't shoot 36%+ beyond the arc and keeps turning the ball over like he did in college (6 per game in-conference), it'll be ugly. Personally, I'm a Bridges/Sexton/Khyri guy but even I admit that I wouldn't pass up on Young's potential. He's far from a slam dunk prospect but 8 assists per game and 9.3 FT attempts at 86.3% shooting for a 19 year old are just flat out impressive... especially when he's most known for his deep shooting.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1775 » by knickstape4ever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Really like the proposal that was floated sending Lee to the TWolves for Aldrich and their 1st; tho we'd probably have to include #37 too (which I'd do). The Jazz were able to jump into the lottery pretty easily sending just Lyles (who was coming off bad year) and #24 to get #13. If we were to score another 1st, I'd try to trade cup to the back of the lottery to get a guy like Knox or Williams
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,805

Post#1776 » by Spree2Houston » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 pm

What happened to the Mod Moocow?
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#1777 » by NYKHardKnock » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Sign Fizdale

Knicks/San Antionio Blockbuster

Tim Hardaway Jr.
Frank Ntilikina
Lance Thomas
9th Pick
2019 1st round pick (top-3 protected)

For

Kawhi Leonard
Bench Player

Also:
Trade Courtney Lee to Min for 22 pick
Trade 22 + 36 pick for 16 pick
Draft SGA
Buy out Noah
Should have room to sign Paul George 3 year max deal
Sign Mario Hezonja
Sign Corey Joseph 3 year / 24 m per

Joseph | Burke
Hezonja | SGA
Kawhi |
George |
Porzingis | O'Quinn
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#1778 » by GONYK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:Sign Fizdale

Knicks/San Antionio Blockbuster

Tim Hardaway Jr.
Frank Ntilikina
Lance Thomas
9th Pick
2019 1st round pick (top-3 protected)

For

Kawhi Leonard
Bench Player

Also:
Trade Courtney Lee to Min for 22 pick
Trade 22 + 36 pick for 16 pick
Draft SGA
Buy out Noah
Should have room to sign Paul George 3 year max deal
Sign Mario Hezonja
Sign Corey Joseph 3 year / 24 m per

Joseph | Burke
Hezonja | SGA
Kawhi |
George |
Porzingis | O'Quinn

That is an expensive trade for a 27 year old player who has not proven to be healthy and is due major money
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,979

Post#1779 » by Besart19 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 pm

KP, Timmy, Noah and 2020 first rounder for Kawhi, Gasol and Anderson

DMC / KOQ / Gasol / Hicks
Harkless / Williams / Lance
Leonard / Anderson / Bonga
Doncic / Dotson / Teodosic
Frank / Burke / Baker / Jack
Strength and Honour!
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1780 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:04 am

KP to Boston for either Brown or Tatum? would you do it?

Last summer when the KP to Boston trade was floated, it would've been Brown + #3

Return to New York Knicks