ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#381 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Some mock drafts have the Rangers taking 6'0" 18 year old Center-Forward, Oliver Wahlstrom with the 8th pick. He's a big American with a statue of liberty shot. Two problems: 1. Enrolled at Harvard. 2. He was 1/10 players cut from World Junior Summer Showcase development camp.

I really, really hope Gorton has more imagination than that. He has a filthy amount of draft picks and cap space. GO for the Future iconic cornerstone for the future NOW.

Don't half-a$$ it like the Knicks.
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#382 » by NYKnicksFTW » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Some mock drafts have the Rangers taking 6'0" 18 year old Center-Forward, Oliver Wahlstrom with the 8th pick. He's a big American with a statue of liberty shot. Two problems: 1. Enrolled at Harvard. 2. He was 1/10 players cut from World Junior Summer Showcase development camp.

I really, really hope Gorton has more imagination than that. He has a filthy amount of draft picks and cap space. GO for the Future iconic cornerstone for the future NOW.

Don't half-a$$ it like the Knicks.

"with a statue of liberty shot"

What does that mean?
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect

Post#383 » by NYKnicksFTW » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:43 pm

I'd be shocked if Kovalchuk and James van Riemsdyk don't wind up as Rangers

And I wouldn't be surprised either if the Rangers are in on Erik Karlsson
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#384 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 pm

NYKnicksFTW wrote:"with a statue of liberty shot"

What does that mean?

It means like all mock drafts, they make EVERY single guy look like a #1 pick but in reality, they're not sure. What we DO know, as previously stated...he's committed to Harvard (so won't see him for 3 seasons) and he didn't make the cut at the Juniors. Both of which, make what is already a high risk/high reward situation into an even higher risk.

NYKnicksFTW wrote:I'd be shocked if Kovalchuk and James van Riemsdyk don't wind up as Rangers

And I wouldn't be surprised either if the Rangers are in on Erik Karlsson

Karlsson just lost a kid. I don't know if he's ready for a big city and a rebuilding team. It wouldn't surprise me if he re-signed with Ottawa.

That leads me to my next pondering: Kovalchuk and the Rangers have been talking for a while. I mean, this rumor started back in December. Kovalchuk has said, he'd come back to a contender. Rangers aren't contenders yet. What I'm thinking, Gorton is throwing money at Kovalchuk in order to get attention from the TOP stars in the KHL. This reminds me a lot of how Red Wings Ken Holland lured a ton of Russians to Detroit which led to their Dynasty.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#385 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:57 pm

Apparently the New York Media might have misled us. Kovalchuk released a statement, saying he hasn’t spoke to anyone.

I can go either way with Kovalchuk. I think the Rangers have huge needs defensively. None of those kids look ready. Gonna take 2-3 seasons before they ignite.

At the same time, foolish for the Rangers to tank after they screwed it up so badly.
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#386 » by The_Special_One » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Sad day for the Rangers family as John Amirante has passed away. Farewell, John. You were the voice of the Garden.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#387 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:24 pm

Blueshirtbanter is starting to make me question their expertise when they gave Staal evaluation, B-
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#388 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:26 am

Rangers closing in on signing 5'11" Michael Lindqvist. With 5'9" Ty Ronning as well as the undersized 6'0" (really looks 5'9" up close) Neal Pionk...I'm starting to worry about where Gorton's head is at. The trend in the NHL is bigger, faster, and more athletic.

When AV tried to pull a stunt by putting the undersized guys in the first two lines, it didn't work because it allows guys to screen Henrik, never mind the undersized guys don't have the strength to move a big forward out of the way. Ultimately it didn't translate to more wins but huge blow outs. AV was axed for stupidity.

We're seeing how a small guy like Jimmy Vesey is at best a 3rd line. He hasn't hit 20 goals in 2 full seasons. How do you substantiate a place for a kid like that?

Meanwhile the Rangers are on the fence on a guy like Kevin Hayes who is a gritty, two-way Center/Forward and can play on any line. His stats are modest because AV often put him on the 3rd line but he's produced and come up with many key goals. As much as I'd like to keep Hayes, if the Rangers are interested in building a super team then they have to package him with a first rounder to trade up and get a top 3 guy in the draft...so be it.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#389 » by ChaosHamster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:05 am

I'am not fallowing NHL that closely this year..

Can someone link me some articles or explain what are some thoughts in the community, how the hell Vegas is doing it?

They freaking collected 9th~ best player from every team.. but somehow are crushing everyone. Seven freaking zero against the Sharks tonight..
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#390 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:29 am

The Golden Knights are a team that is fast...and a former Pens goalie playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Disappointing night for the NY Rangers. They finished 8th worst, bungling their attempt to tank and they are rewarded by drafting NINTH. :lol:

Gorton...you better offer Tavares ALL of the free agent cap space because I just don't see it.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#391 » by NYKHardKnock » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:34 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:The Golden Knights are a team that is fast...and a former Pens goalie playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Disappointing night for the NY Rangers. They finished 8th worst, bungling their attempt to tank and they are rewarded by drafting NINTH. :lol:

Gorton...you better offer Tavares ALL of the free agent cap space because I just don't see it.
I'd rather not offer someone 12m+ for over 8 years even if its JT.

I hope one of Boqvist, Wahlstrom, or Dobson falls to 9.

We can move up with the 2 late firsts, 2 2nd round picks, and 2 third round picks.

Rangers are in great position.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#392 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 am

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:I'd rather not offer someone 12m+ for over 8 years even if its JT.

I hope one of Boqvist, Wahlstrom, or Dobson falls to 9.

We can move up with the 2 late firsts, 2 2nd round picks, and 2 third round picks.

Rangers are in great position.

Anyone watch the Bruins vs Tampa Bay today? Basically, you had the size and strength of Boston vs the Speed of the Lightning. Boston destroyed the Lighting 5-2. Why? They manhandled the undersized Lightning forwards, making Stamkos look invisible and then proceeded to wear out the TB defense (nevermind the Lightning goaltending was atrocious).

Here's the thing.

The Rangers prospects are very much undersized. Andersson is a candy a$$ getting back on defense. Chytil is really good on face off and looks to be a solid player but he's gonna need another 2 seasons before he reaches his potential. The defense looks laughable. O'Gara is the BEST defender. Pionk is great offensively but often a victim of odd man rushes, gets manhandled in the crease, and has zero intercept speed.

The Rangers are full of second and third line guys. They are missing FIRST line guys.

NONE of the current roster are go-to guys. I almost recommend trying to sign Rick Nash back because he's the only guy who can create a shot for himself.

So no, I disagree. The Rangers are in a spot where this rebuild can be 1-2 season thing or 3-4 seasons.

Gorton signing Ty Ronning who is 5'9" is their BEST scorer in the minors.

Gorton NEEDS to trade up and find his cornerstone. Without an identity, this era of Rangers will resemble the past ones where they had to raid the Lightning for St. Louis, Richards, etc in order to compete...and gave up a bunch of prospects.

So we'll see how Gorton plays but so far, I'm not impressed.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#393 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:41 am

If I were Gorton, I would offer a first round swap, two second rounders, and a prospect or two for a top 3 draft pick. GET your franchise guy to build around now.

Do NOT do that dumbsh#t Knick thing of being passive then rebuilding every 2-3 seasons.
egelband
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#394 » by egelband » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:03 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:If I were Gorton, I would offer a first round swap, two second rounders, and a prospect or two for a top 3 draft pick. GET your franchise guy to build around now.

Do NOT do that dumbsh#t Knick thing of being passive then rebuilding every 2-3 seasons.

Who is that guy, is the question. I’m not convinced, based on what I’ve been reading, that there’s a game-changer out there aside from Dahlin. After Dahlin there are a couple very good forwards with boom potential then like seven or eight guys with similar value. So it’s either getting into the top three or sticking it out at nine. Just my opinion. I’m no draft expert.
I dunno.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#395 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:42 pm

After Dahlin, I think Filip Zadina and Brady Tkachuk can also be one of those go-to guys.

I still say the Sabres can be bought. They are years away from competing. Rangers can score huge.
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect

Post#396 » by NYKnicksFTW » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:After Dahlin, I think Filip Zadina and Brady Tkachuk can also be one of those go-to guys.

I still say the Sabres can be bought. They are years away from competing. Rangers can score huge.

I don't see how the Sabres trade away a potential generational talent like Dahlin. They can have Eichel be the face of the Forwards and Dahlin be the face of the Defense.
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect

Post#397 » by NYKnicksFTW » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:After Dahlin, I think Filip Zadina and Brady Tkachuk can also be one of those go-to guys.

Seems like Svechnikov will go #2 to Carolina, but maybe they get cold feet after the Semin disaster. Who knows.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#398 » by ChaosHamster » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:37 pm

Happy for the Sabres.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#399 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:46 pm

NYKnicksFTW wrote:
I don't see how the Sabres trade away a potential generational talent like Dahlin. They can have Eichel be the face of the Forwards and Dahlin be the face of the Defense.

Want to know how stupid the Sabres can be? They traded great prospects to Winnipeg for Evander Kane. Those prospects contributed to why Winnipeg went from a cream puff to being 1-1 against the Predators in the playoffs.

Evander Kane didn’t get them that much in the trade to San Jose.

Hence they would be wide open to someone replenishing their prospect bin but again, let me re-emphasize this trade has to be an all-in offer.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#400 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The Golden Knights are a team that is fast...and a former Pens goalie playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Pretty much the same thing that happens annually with the Knicks lottery. Move down a place instead of winning the lottery.

Return to New York Knicks