ImageImageImageImageImage

NFL Watch Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Re: NFL Watch Thread 

Post#2601 » by DowNY » Tue May 1, 2018 12:41 am

E-Balla wrote:Back to the main point though... The Giants made a good decision since they aren't yet good enough to win with a young QB at the helm. Their defense and running game can't match Philly so why get the QB this year and put a timer on their championship window already?

If that's the main point then I agree. Lol
I always thought them choosing Barkley was smart to pair with OBJ & I still think they should sign Dez. Maximize their offenseive output.

I was just making the argument for Sam being a legit option for them at #2 because contrary to what you believe, there's no Sam Darnold in the next draft. Might not be a Darnold, Baker or Rosen in the next draft. Allen too.
Trubisky would've been 4th or 5th QB in this draft class.
To overlook that is type foolish. That's it.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#2602 » by E-Balla » Tue May 1, 2018 12:55 am

DowNY wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Back to the main point though... The Giants made a good decision since they aren't yet good enough to win with a young QB at the helm. Their defense and running game can't match Philly so why get the QB this year and put a timer on their championship window already?

I always thought them choosing Barkley was smart to pair with OBJ & I still think they should sign Dez. Maximize their offenseive output.

I was just making the argument for Sam being a legit option for them at #2 because contrary to what you believe, there's no Sam Darnold in the next draft. Might not be a Darnold, Baker or Rosen in the next draft. Allen too.

I think Shea Patterson is pretty good. You're right that 2019 is a weak QB draft but I think you hold on a QB until you have the one. Philly clearly felt Wentz was the one. The Texans felt Watson was the one. If you're not feeling them like that improve something else.

And I must've misread your first post because I thought you were saying the opposite of that (that you always take the QB over even a great RB).
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#2603 » by DowNY » Tue May 1, 2018 1:38 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jamal is my guy. Gotta be my fav on the team.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#2604 » by taj2133 » Tue May 1, 2018 3:52 pm

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,751

Post#2605 » by Rich Rane » Tue May 1, 2018 4:45 pm

I don't think they had anywhere near the capital to trade that high.
taj2133
General Manager

Post#2606 » by taj2133 » Tue May 1, 2018 4:52 pm

The Giants shopped OT Ereck Flowers during the draft, but found no takers at their asking price of a middle-round pick.

It's hardly surprising considering how poor Flowers' on-field play has been, and how bad his attitude has been off the field. One team told ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan the middle-round asking price was "significantly too steep." It doesn't help that Flowers' $2.4 million salary for 2018 is fully guaranteed. Flowers did not report to the Giants' pre-draft offseason workouts.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23368103/new-york-giants-had-hoped-trade-ereck-flowers-draft
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/375842/g-men-couldnt-get-mid-round-pick-for-flowers?ls=roto:nyg:topheadlines&rw=1
taj2133
General Manager

Post#2607 » by taj2133 » Tue May 1, 2018 4:53 pm

Rich Rane wrote:

I don't think so either but i found it interesting that they would called the giants for the number 2 pick but i don't think anything would have gotten done.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#2608 » by HEZI » Tue May 1, 2018 4:56 pm

taj2133 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

I don't think so either but i found it interesting that they would called the giants for the number 2 pick but i don't think anything would have gotten done.

The agent just trying to get Browns fans to feel better about Mayfield
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#2609 » by cuyankees » Tue May 1, 2018 5:27 pm

HEZI wrote:
taj2133 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Exactly, when’s the last time BB drafted a QB in 1st? Combine that with Gettleman stating that he didn’t listen to offers and critics out in full force on Baker @ 1 and you got an agent performing damage control...
taj2133
General Manager

Post#2610 » by taj2133 » Tue May 1, 2018 6:26 pm

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,195

Post#2611 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 1, 2018 6:32 pm

cuyankees wrote:
HEZI wrote:
taj2133 wrote:I don't think so either but i found it interesting that they would called the giants for the number 2 pick but i don't think anything would have gotten done.

Exactly, when’s the last time BB drafted a QB in 1st? Combine that with Gettleman stating that he didn’t listen to offers and critics out in full force on Baker @ 1 and you got an agent performing damage control...

Unless BB traded himself in that deal there is no way the Pats had enough ammo to make that trade... :lol:
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
taj2133
General Manager

Post#2612 » by taj2133 » Tue May 1, 2018 6:48 pm

Cody Latimer was working with the first-team during the Giants' voluntary minicamp.

Signed in March, the former second-round pick was working in the spot normally occupied by Odell Beckham. He will obviously cede that job once Beckham is healthy, but it looks like Latimer is the front-runner for the No. 3 role after the Giants failed to add any help in the draft. Still only 25, Latimer has some breakout potential.
http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?ls=roto:nfl:gnav&rw=1

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/05/could_cody_latimer_breakout_after_giants_pass_on_d.html#incart_river_mobile_index
taj2133
General Manager

Post#2613 » by taj2133 » Tue May 1, 2018 7:17 pm

Louielou
Junior
And1: 154

Post#2614 » by Louielou » Tue May 1, 2018 7:19 pm

DowNY wrote:

The Vikings offense last year had 45% targets go to their top 2 receivers, with Engram in the fold and Barkley expected to contribute getting Dez would be a waste unless they didn't think highly of Shepard.

At this point we can only hope that Eli plays more efficiently within this new offense and behind this offensive line. I'm with you on the QB talk, even without a 3rd receiver Eli has a top 5 skilled position players cast around him he should be very good or else they're squandering something really good here.
Louielou
Junior
And1: 154

Post#2615 » by Louielou » Tue May 1, 2018 7:27 pm

E-Balla wrote:
DowNY wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:An elite running back doesn't even guarantee a team the playoffs. A slightly less than elite QB does. Positional value folks

That's all I'm saying

Let's say the elite QBs are the MVP type guys: Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Brees, Wentz (last year), Wilson, Luck (when healthy), Cam (when healthy), and Ben. Right outside of them the best QBs are Stafford (missed the playoffs), Cousins (missed the playoffs), Carr (missed the playoffs), and Rivers (missed the playoffs). Franchise QBs that are short of being able to play at an elite level aren't getting you to the playoffs. I'd rather have a well balanced team than get a QB that isn't THAT guy because QBs that aren't THAT guy can't win you the big one without a squad but they'll get paid too much for a squad.

Cowbell backs are overrated though in terms of making your offense effective. Committees like NE and Philly can get the job done as well without overly relying on one guy and using up all those resources on that one guy. Overpaying your running backs doesn't really help you and in the long game, running the ball well is one of the things that least correlate with winning over the past several years.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#2616 » by E-Balla » Tue May 1, 2018 7:34 pm

DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jamal is my guy. Gotta be my fav on the team.

LSU baby!

(Yeah I'm an LSU fan... My Grandma is from New Orleans metro and I got uncles that played football there - one of em even made it to the Jets as a RB for a year).
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#2617 » by E-Balla » Tue May 1, 2018 7:54 pm

Louielou wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
DowNY wrote:That's all I'm saying

Let's say the elite QBs are the MVP type guys: Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Brees, Wentz (last year), Wilson, Luck (when healthy), Cam (when healthy), and Ben. Right outside of them the best QBs are Stafford (missed the playoffs), Cousins (missed the playoffs), Carr (missed the playoffs), and Rivers (missed the playoffs). Franchise QBs that are short of being able to play at an elite level aren't getting you to the playoffs. I'd rather have a well balanced team than get a QB that isn't THAT guy because QBs that aren't THAT guy can't win you the big one without a squad but they'll get paid too much for a squad.

Cowbell backs are overrated though in terms of making your offense effective. Committees like NE and Philly can get the job done as well without overly relying on one guy and using up all those resources on that one guy. Overpaying your running backs doesn't really help you and in the long game, running the ball well is one of the things that least correlate with winning over the past several years.

You bring up NE and Philly but including the playoffs Dion Lewis averaged about 65 YPG and Ajayi averaged about 75 YPG. Both guys have workhorse talent even if they aren't in workhorse roles. Barkley doesn't need Leveon Bell touches to be worth it. 15 touches a game should be enough for him to completely take over games (ala Kamara).
taj2133
General Manager

Post#2618 » by taj2133 » Tue May 1, 2018 8:23 pm

Baker Mayfield - QB - Browns
ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss confirms the team was interested in Baker Mayfield during the pre-draft process.

Per Reiss, the Pats requested a meeting with Mayfield's agent, but he turned it down on account of the Pats having just the No. 31 pick. Once the Pats acquired the Rams' selection at No. 23, Mayfield's rep gave the go ahead. He met with OC Josh McDaniels the Monday before the draft. Ultimately, the Pats didn't select a quarterback until the seventh round, LSU non-spect Danny Etling
http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?ls=roto:nfl:gnav
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23375688
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#2619 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue May 1, 2018 8:33 pm

Damn, seems like most teams really coveted Mayfield. Sounds like he killed it in the interviews/workouts
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#2620 » by Oscirus » Tue May 1, 2018 8:39 pm

I wonder if Allen would've gone 1 if he didn't have all that nonsense on his twitter.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid

Return to New York Knicks