ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,949

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#3001 » by Manhattan Project » Wed May 9, 2018 1:40 am

Mecca wrote:You guys are right. Severino is no where near as good as DeGrom or Noah.

On a good day he's maybe better than Vargas, but even that's pushing it. Severino is having a good year so far no doubt, like I said all along he has filthy stuff. My beef has always been in baseball is that no one values consistency, for me that''s key with pitchers. Coming into this year look at Berrios in Minnesota, he was supposed to be the next absolute ace in baseball and he's had an up and down year thus far. Aside from Reub it's not like anyone really expected the Mets to be better than the Yankees this year, but lets not act like DeGrom and Thor just got traded for a bag of peanuts. DeGrom is having a good year aside from the injury and Thor is having a good year, just not a god like year in which we we're expecting.

Oh well, Severino got a taste of what it's like playing for the Mets with a quality start going to waste.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3002 » by Manhattan Project » Wed May 9, 2018 1:40 am

mpharris36 wrote:is mickey an idiot? Did he just pinch hit a lefty vs a lefty with a righties on the bench?

wow this dude showing his true colors now...

When all you got is trash, does it really matter?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Post#3003 » by mpharris36 » Wed May 9, 2018 1:45 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:is mickey an idiot? Did he just pinch hit a lefty vs a lefty with a righties on the bench?

nimmo's 0-6 with 5 k's vs lefties.

Lagares starts vs lefties because he hits them well...exactly why does that take a brain surgeon to make that call?
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3004 » by Manhattan Project » Wed May 9, 2018 1:50 am

mpharris36 wrote:

Lagares starts vs lefties because he hits them well...exactly why does that take a brain surgeon to make that call?

He's done it before with Conforto and Gonzo back to back against a lefty as pinch hitters. I think at this point in time Callaway has already been infected with Mets-itis. Frazier to the DL, we're getting cut to death with stupid nagging injuries and our pitching staff thus far hasn't performed to expectations AND on top of that we can't hit. Put simply batting Lagares would've made sense, but again this team is starting to play to it's actual level.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Post#3005 » by mpharris36 » Wed May 9, 2018 2:06 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

He's done it before with Conforto and Gonzo back to back against a lefty as pinch hitters. I think at this point in time Callaway has already been infected with Mets-itis. Frazier to the DL, we're getting cut to death with stupid nagging injuries and our pitching staff thus far hasn't performed to expectations AND on top of that we can't hit. Put simply batting Lagares would've made sense, but again this team is starting to play to it's actual level.

thats fair...im not asking him to turn water into wine...just make average coaching decisions.

Like pinch hit righties vs lefties...

and when are the mets going to cut hansel robles?

why is vargas allowed to continue to pitch in the rotation? But Lugo can't get a chance to start?
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3006 » by Manhattan Project » Wed May 9, 2018 2:13 am

mpharris36 wrote:
thats fair...im not asking him to turn water into wine...just make average coaching decisions.

Like pinch hit righties vs lefties...

and when are the mets going to cut hansel robles?

why is vargas allowed to continue to pitch in the rotation? But Lugo can't get a chance to start?

Mets don't even have a glass of water right now to turn into wine. I think Callaway tends to think outside the box a little to often for his own good, but again it's still early so I won't get on him to much. Robles will always get a chance just because on the days he's good, he's really good. However with his latest DL stint looming, it wouldn't shock me if he gets sent down to triple A.

As far as Vargas goes, I have to assume we'll get the he's still pitching his way into shape type answer. I wasn't even expecting much from Vargas, really thought he'd be a good fifth starter but he hasn't even given us that much yet. It's only a matter of time before Lugo and Gsellman make a move into the rotation, especially since Vargas has looked like crap and we're going to get the inevitable Matz injury and the Wheeler innings limit. Hell maybe even Tebow will make a start at pitcher if we can have leprechauns make starts for us.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#3007 » by Mecca » Wed May 9, 2018 5:24 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
Mecca wrote:You guys are right. Severino is no where near as good as DeGrom or Noah.

On a good day he's maybe better than Vargas, but even that's pushing it. Severino is having a good year so far no doubt, like I said all along he has filthy stuff. My beef has always been in baseball is that no one values consistency, for me that''s key with pitchers. Coming into this year look at Berrios in Minnesota, he was supposed to be the next absolute ace in baseball and he's had an up and down year thus far. Aside from Reub it's not like anyone really expected the Mets to be better than the Yankees this year, but lets not act like DeGrom and Thor just got traded for a bag of peanuts. DeGrom is having a good year aside from the injury and Thor is having a good year, just not a god like year in which we we're expecting.

Oh well, Severino got a taste of what it's like playing for the Mets with a quality start going to waste.

I'd counter that by saying after Noah and DeGrom's first 200 inning seasons, you were more than confident that they were aces. Berrios pitched what, 140 innings to an ERA in the mid-high 3's last year? I'm as big on Berrios as anyone, but his stuff isn't as strong as Severino's and he never showed the glimpses that Sevy did over a season.

A better comp would be the pitcher your Mets faced tonight. Luis Castillo was my sleeper pitcher this year that I projected to break out. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case for him. Even then, Castillo had 120 innings last year. Sevy had 200+ the playoffs. I'm just a believer that Severino, despite playing on the Yankees, gets so under looked by the average baseball fan for whatever reason and it blows my mind. Especially when his stuff is as good as any pitcher in the league.

To your Mets, not being able to come through with the bases loaded really hurt you guys. Didn't like going Nimmo vs. Amir Garrett there. I like the Merasco move, but at some point the Mets are going to have to inquire about a starter. I'll keep saying go get Colon as he'd be cheap and eat innings to an ERA under 4 which is all you need.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,596

Post#3008 » by Stannis » Wed May 9, 2018 9:07 pm

I didn't watch the game... but I'm trying to support Callaway but now the Mets had to end an inning because they were batting out of order??

Harvey gone, Vargas so terrible, Blevins has been struggling, Robles is still Robles, Matz and Wheeler have shown no improvements. Thought Callaway's sales pitch for his hiring was that he's a great pitching coach....

I'm not giving up yet. The team needs a miracle though..... like Conforto playing at his potential, Lugo becoming a worthy starter, Cespedes carrying the team like he used to, the new catcher actually looking good.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#3009 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 9, 2018 11:33 pm

Stannis wrote:I didn't watch the game... but I'm trying to support Callaway but now the Mets had to end an inning because they were batting out of order??

Harvey gone, Vargas so terrible, Blevins has been struggling, Robles is still Robles, Matz and Wheeler have shown no improvements. Thought Callaway's sales pitch for his hiring was that he's a great pitching coach....

I'm not giving up yet. The team needs a miracle though..... like Conforto playing at his potential, Lugo becoming a worthy starter, Cespedes carrying the team like he used to, the new catcher actually looking good.

... and Bruce, and Gonzalez (or whoever eventually replaces him), and Rosario, and Frazier. Oh and we need catching help. Oops, my bad, didn't we get some guy named Monsanto or Monserate who Sandy got in the Harvey trade?

Ugh

EDIT: Oh, we lost this afternoon. I did not know that. Thought we were playing tonight. Oh well. We lost 2 of 3 to the worst team in baseball?
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3010 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 10, 2018 9:11 am

Calloway let the Mets bat out of order on the top of the first. Then we lost.
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#3011 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:31 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Calloway let the Mets bat out of order on the top of the first. Then we lost.

Smh. He’s learning how to manage on the fly.
It’s still relatively early but I’m starting to worry.
Noah can’t miss bats. DeGrom’s got a hyperextended throwing arm. Wheeler (though better yesterday) still struggles with consistency. Vargas is throwing batting practice out there. Our best starting alternatives are relievers now in Gsellman and Lugo. We have no arms in the minors of immediate consequence. And our offense has been putrid outside of Cabbie. Smh.

I see Sandy stepping down soon.
Probably handing the keys back to Omar “Zeke” Minaya.
And I wouldn’t hate that.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#3012 » by Mecca » Thu May 10, 2018 4:00 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

He did it with Nimmo against Garrett the other day when Castillo got pulled as well. Bases were loaded. Puzzling decision.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3013 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 10, 2018 5:26 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Calloway let the Mets bat out of order on the top of the first. Then we lost.

Smh. He’s learning how to manage on the fly.
It’s still relatively early but I’m starting to worry.
Noah can’t miss bats. DeGrom’s got a hyperextended throwing arm. Wheeler (though better yesterday) still struggles with consistency. Vargas is throwing batting practice out there. Our best starting alternatives are relievers now in Gsellman and Lugo. We have no arms in the minors of immediate consequence. And our offense has been putrid outside of Cabbie. Smh.

I see Sandy stepping down soon.
Probably handing the keys back to Omar “Zeke” Minaya.
And I wouldn’t hate that.

POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3014 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 10, 2018 5:30 pm

American league guys don't know how to figure this shyt out.
POSTING POLICIES:
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#3015 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:04 am

Whew! We needed that.

This Meserasco guy is great at framing pitches.
RShahNyC89
Junior
And1: 404

Post#3016 » by RShahNyC89 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:30 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Whew! We needed that.

This Meserasco guy is great at framing pitches.

Yeah the improvement in catcher is noticeable. Framing pitches and pitch sequence-wise.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,596

Post#3017 » by Stannis » Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 am

The Meserasco era is upon us
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3018 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Yay Mets!
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3019 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 14, 2018 10:18 pm

So, according to my calculations, after going 11-1 we're 8-17.
POSTING POLICIES:
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#3020 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:So, according to my calculations, after going 11-1 we're 8-17.

Reminds me of the Melo/Rose/Noah Knicks season. Started with so much promise and then completely fell apart with barely a third of the season gone by.
But just like that season, even during the winning there were signs.

Return to New York Knicks