ImageImageImageImageImage

NYDN: Fiz sees Lance Thomas as his Draymond Green (WTF)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,745

Re: NYDN: Fiz sees Lance Thomas as his Draymond Green (WTF) 

Post#141 » by Adelheid » Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
levendis wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
"He's a Swiss Army knife-type of player that can guard multiple positions and you can run offense through him," the coach said on WFAN. "I think he can push the ball off the break a lot like Draymond Green plays. Obviously the thing I'm going to demand from Lance is to play defense like Draymond. And be a guy that's pushing to be a First Team All-Defender."

He's comparing how he can possibly use him...NOT his skill level.

You're right though...he needs to be careful how he handles the media. Everything he says will have people in the media and, on social media looking to pick it apart. Twist it. Spin it. Exsggerate it. All for clicks or agendas. Zero context. Zero comprehension.

I agree with you, they were innocent comments. The media is going to be looking to tear him down any chance they can. I'm sure the Gasol comments wont be going away any time soon. I do think the idea of even using them the same is ridiculous but whatever.

Oh he very much made the same comments when he was with the Grizzlies and we shook our heads like you guys are now. He called Jamychal Green his Draymond. He, and this is my favorite, said that Parsons had a similar skill set to Lebron and wanted to use him as such. The only thing Parsons and Lebron have in common is they are both on large contracts in the NBA.

The story that came out about him vs Gasol/the team here recently doesn't seem like a big deal, but as a Memphis fan I fully appreciate why Gasol was upset. Fiz was strongly against "GritnGrind" apparently which was our veteran core's identity. He also keep saying "Miami this" and "Miami that" which probably is a bad idea when you're in Memphis.

I can somehow understand why it was a bad idea when he kept on indoctrinating the miami way into your team which is known for its grit and grind style for a long while and is its identity, but the Knicks are not in contention for a considerable amt of time and has no identity so the FO might not mind borrowing cultures from other successful teams.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#142 » by thebuzzardman » Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Kinglee wrote:If I'm a troll wtf is Fizzdale? I did not want this dude.

A better troll than you?

:D
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#143 » by thebuzzardman » Fri May 11, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm all for positivity etc, but Fiz might want to dial some the public part of it back a bit.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,267

Post#144 » by Iron Mantis » Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Adelheid wrote:
2010 wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:Lance can’t dribble though lol.

...or pass lol. Or rebound lol.

cant inbound properly too.

Real question:

What is Lance actually good at? :-?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,616

Post#145 » by mpharris36 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
Adelheid wrote:
2010 wrote:

Real question:

he's actually a super overrated defender too. He's active but he fouls a lot and he seems like one of the dummer athletes to come out of duke.

Take a lot of 3's with his foot on the line
Travels a lot with that pump fake move
Fouls a lot on defense
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,174

Post#146 » by Kampuchea » Fri May 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Lance = Dray
Hardaway = Klay
Frank = Curry
Lee = andre iguodala
KP = Durant
Kanter > McGee
Mudiay = Wade

Let’s go!
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,267

Post#147 » by Iron Mantis » Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

Real question:

he's actually a super overrated defender too. He's active but he fouls a lot and he seems like one of the dummer athletes to come out of duke.

Take a lot of 3's with his foot on the line
Travels a lot with that pump fake move
Fouls a lot on defense

Absolutely.

Unless Fiz is going to get in the lab and tinker with Lance's DNA, there's nothing he can do to even make him remotely effective as Green.

He's just not a good basketball player in any aspect of the game, besides supreme effort.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,956

Post#148 » by Besart19 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:52 pm

O'Quinn / Kornet / Hicks
Grant / Williams / LT / KP
Doncic / Hezonja / Bonga
Hardaway / Dotson / Baker
Ntilikina / Burke / Mudiay
Strength and Honour!
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,998

Post#149 » by god shammgod » Fri May 11, 2018 2:23 pm

does anyone actually even want to see lance thomas play anymore ? are we "developing" him ? he's 30. why is fiz even thinking about or making plans for lance f*cking thomas ?
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#150 » by god shammgod » Fri May 11, 2018 2:25 pm

inb4 courtney lee can be klay thompson and beasley can be durant
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#151 » by mpharris36 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:28 pm

god shammgod wrote:does anyone actually even want to see lance thomas play anymore ? are we "developing" him ? he's 30. why is fiz even thinking about or making plans for lance f*cking thomas ?

there one thing about gassing your players...but you have to be smart about and not dumb.

If the knicks get an expiring for lance his azz should be out the window and that makes the coach look silly gassing up a player that really should have no future here.

I'm not trying to pile on fiz. But his main focus should be about developing the young players. Players like LT, Lee, KOQ shouldn't even be coming out of his mouth at this point.

It should be Frank, Dotson, Burke, Mudiay, Williams, getting THjr back to a respectable player, and whoever we acquire in the draft.

That should be focus #1, #2, and #3 before he starts gassing up any vets.

ROSTER

god shammgod
RealGM

Post#152 » by god shammgod » Fri May 11, 2018 2:31 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:does anyone actually even want to see lance thomas play anymore ? are we "developing" him ? he's 30. why is fiz even thinking about or making plans for lance f*cking thomas ?

there one thing about gassing your players...but you have to be smart about and not dumb.

If the knicks get an expiring for lance his azz should be out the window and that makes the coach look silly gassing up a player that really should have no future here.

I'm not trying to pile on fiz. But his main focus should be about developing the young players. Players like LT, Lee, KOQ shouldn't even be coming out of his mouth at this point.

It should be Frank, Dotson, Burke, Mudiay, Williams, getting THjr back to a respectable player, and whoever we acquire in the draft.

yep. you do wonder what this says about the direction of rebuild when the coach is talking about a prominent role for a 30 year old with no discernible talent whatsoever.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#153 » by mpharris36 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:40 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

yep. you do wonder what this says about the direction of rebuild when the coach is talking about a prominent role for a 30 year old with no discernible talent whatsoever.

it has always been my concern about this regime...they talk about "not skipping any steps". Yet they find it necessary to give prominent roles to vets. The first part about "not skipping any steps" is going through the lumps with young players. Now part of that is on the front office to handle there business. That means not signing KOQ to a long term deal and that is finding any taker for Lee/Thomas for a expiring and whatever pick(s) you can get.

Because I don't trust this organization to have Lee/Thomas/Kanter/KOQ to play limited roles behind young players. Those guys will all play prominent roles if they are on the team next year. And that is skipping steps to me. Because they are missing valuable evaluating and developing time while KP is out.

Kornet and Hicks wont play over Kanter/KOQ
Williams and our Rookie might not player over Lance Thomas
Dotson won't play over Courtney Lee

this should be not happening with a team in our situation...that is my main concern right now.

ROSTER

El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,575

Post#154 » by El Poochio » Fri May 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Lance Thomas gonna look like a brand new player after next year:

Spoiler:

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
Multipe Sources
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#155 » by Multipe Sources » Fri May 11, 2018 3:16 pm

I'm very high on him and he's done decently well under some terrible coaches here, but obviously, this is absurd. A better comparison is like James Johnson or Joe Ingles with a much worse 3 point shot. But either way, I consider Lance a positive value player and he could thrive under a defensive coach like Fizdale.

Man would I love to see us actually have a great defense. I feel like if Fiz can turn us into even a top 10 defensive team next year, I don't care where the offense ranks. I feel like it'll be easy to improve the offense with guys like KP and Tim, we need to establish ourselves as a team with a defensive mentality.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#156 » by mpharris36 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Multipe Sources wrote:I'm very high on him and he's done decently well under some terrible coaches here, but obviously, this is absurd. A better comparison is like James Johnson or Joe Ingles with a much worse 3 point shot. But either way, I consider Lance a positive value player and he could thrive under a defensive coach like Fizdale.

Man would I love to see us actually have a great defense. I feel like if Fiz can turn us into even a top 10 defensive team next year, I don't care where the offense ranks. I feel like it'll be easy to improve the offense with guys like KP and Tim, we need to establish ourselves as a team with a defensive mentality.

ROSTER

RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#157 » by 2010 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
Adelheid wrote:
2010 wrote:

Real question:

Trying really really hard.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
RealGM

Post#158 » by 2010 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Kampuchea wrote:Lance = Dray
Hardaway = Klay
Frank = Curry
Lee = andre iguodala
KP = Durant
Kanter > McGee
Mudiay = Wade

Let’s go!

Besart?

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#159 » by dakomish23 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
Adelheid wrote:
2010 wrote:

Real question:

Not following basic basketball rules?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
RealGM

Post#160 » by 2010 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:42 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

In all honesty, I think he gotta know Lance is ass. He likely tryna win over the locker room and as much as we don't like to admit it, the team seems to respect Lance mightily and I figure he holds great influence in that locker room. Fiz tryna gain his alliance, I think.

Return to New York Knicks