ImageImageImageImageImage

Marc Spears (The Undefeated) - African-Americans dominate executive roles with Knicks

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Marc Spears (The Undefeated) - African-Americans dominate executive roles with Knicks 

Post#1 » by Phish Tank » Tue May 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Marc Spears of The Undefeated published two concurrent articles today regarding the Knicks being the only team to have African Americans occupy the top front office positions in the NBA. Something that's innovative and that has been never done. There's a second article which is a Q&A with Craig Robinson, the VP of Basketball Operations. I know we've discussed this a bit over the course of the past year, but it's good to see some positive press coverage for once.

The links to both are below and it's worth a read:

https://theundefeated.com/features/african-americans-dominate-executive-roles-with-new-york-knicks/
https://theundefeated.com/features/craig-robinson-helps-shape-next-generation-of-knicks/
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Re: Marc Spears (The Undefeated) - African-Americans dominate executive roles with Knicks 

Post#3 » by F N 11 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm

When I said this was a thing even before Fiz was hired people said I was doing too much. Good ish though!! Shouts to Craig Robinson tho.

Burke
Kornet
Hicks
Mayes
Someone else I forgot
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Re: Marc Spears (The Undefeated) - African-Americans dominate executive roles with Knicks 

Post#4 » by Huey Freeman » Tue May 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Symbolically this is cool but...doesn't mean schit if they don't produce wins and success.
Revolution starts in the mind...
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#5 » by fatalogic » Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:Symbolically this is cool but...doesn't mean schit if they don't produce wins and success.

I think it puts a lot of extra pressure on the Knicks to at least be viewed as a competent team. If they mess this up like past FO it could really set back progress for black executives.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,579

Post#7 » by Capn'O » Tue May 15, 2018 5:24 pm

fatalogic wrote:
Huey Freeman wrote:Symbolically this is cool but...doesn't mean schit if they don't produce wins and success.

I think it puts a lot of extra pressure on the Knicks to at least be viewed as a competent team. If they mess this up like past FO it could really set back progress for black executives.

I think that's stretching it for a few reasons.

- The incompetence aura surrounding the Knicks transcends race
- There are other models for success for black execs around the league, notably Ujiri

So I don't think this is going to be some model that reflects on future hires like that. At a base level, we know Fizdale and Perry are more serious hires than, say, Isiah was. Mills is probably well suited for his role as well if he delegates well to Perry, which he seems to be able to do. Everything about what they've done as a tandem exudes competence. If they stick to their guns about building deliberately (not skipping steps with desperate moves as many Knicks regimes have done) they should also achieve at least modest success.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#8 » by blueNorange » Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 pm

fatalogic wrote:

no, it just means they failed to put a winning team.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#9 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 pm

nice intelligent, civil conversation so far. i am pleased.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#10 » by fatalogic » Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Capn'O wrote:
fatalogic wrote:

- There are other models for success for black execs around the league, notably Ujiri

So I don't think this is going to be some model that reflects on future hires like that. At a base level, we know Fizdale and Perry are more serious hires than, say, Isiah was. Mills is probably well suited for his role as well if he delegates well to Perry, which he seems to be able to do. Everything about what they've done as a tandem exudes competence. If they stick to their guns about building deliberately (not skipping steps with desperate moves as many Knicks regimes have done) they should also achieve at least modest success.

If the Knicks do well they could have a fairly significant effect in pushing progress. They are basically opening the door wider for more blacks in higher positions because they are opening up the talent pool to people who normally wouldn't be getting looked at. I don't think the Knicks went into this saying we want to make a black FO it's just that they their network probably skews more minority than it does white.
Senior
And1: 404

Post#11 » by 1999 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Props to Dolan. While he’s our much maligned owner he’s always been loyal to the people he trusts. Mills has been around for ages. Let’s see if that trust to build the team the way he sees fit is more beneficial than trusting an outsider to do it.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#12 » by magnumt » Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Phish Tank wrote:Marc Spears of The Undefeated published two concurrent articles today regarding the Knicks being the only team to have African Americans occupy the top front office positions in the NBA. Something that's innovative and that has been never done. There's a second article which is a Q&A with Craig Robinson, the VP of Basketball Operations. I know we've discussed this a bit over the course of the past year, but it's good to see some positive press coverage for once.

The links to both are below and it's worth a read:

https://theundefeated.com/features/african-americans-dominate-executive-roles-with-new-york-knicks/
https://theundefeated.com/features/craig-robinson-helps-shape-next-generation-of-knicks/

Not only that they're Black, but I love the unity you get from them. Mills & Perry get along well, the guys below them like Fizzy get along with them. The other Execs get along with each other.

It may seem like insignificant, but for those who have worked in Corporate environments, you know how important and impactful the idea of a conflict lessened workforce can be. :nod:

That's just my agenda-less take on it tho. :D

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#13 » by j4remi » Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 pm

My optimism never lasts with this team and I end up disappointed...but this crew feels like they've got something. The cohesion and shared philosophies to go with resumes that are not just qualified but high quality is something you can only hope for on most occasions. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle this offseason as last season Perry's hands were pretty much tied and I'm really hopeful that this can turn into the culture and image change we've been hoping for because the early signs are really promising.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by Capn'O » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 pm

fatalogic wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
fatalogic wrote:I think it puts a lot of extra pressure on the Knicks to at least be viewed as a competent team. If they mess this up like past FO it could really set back progress for black executives.

If the Knicks do well they could have a fairly significant effect in pushing progress. They are basically opening the door wider for more blacks in higher positions because they are opening up the talent pool to people who normally wouldn't be getting looked at. I don't think the Knicks went into this saying we want to make a black FO it's just that they their network probably skews more minority than it does white.

Agreed with this. But I don't think the door shuts much if they don't succeed.

I've always figured that Dolan is genuinely starstruck (particularly) by black icons. I.e. looking at some of his hires and his adoption of the blues persona. The current group and approach seems more grounded in reality than some of his other efforts.
BAF Clippers

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#15 » by Greenie » Tue May 15, 2018 11:58 pm

Capn'O wrote:
fatalogic wrote:

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#16 » by Capn'O » Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 am

Greenie wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
fatalogic wrote:I think it puts a lot of extra pressure on the Knicks to at least be viewed as a competent team. If they mess this up like past FO it could really set back progress for black executives.

:D I'm glad somebody picked up on that.
BAF Clippers

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#17 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed May 16, 2018 12:40 am

Capn'O wrote:
fatalogic wrote:

Not to mention, If Isiah can't set things back for black executives, no one can. He gave a good effort tho
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#18 » by vallen » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 am

Jim Dolan dont know basketball but hes a PR machine.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#19 » by Billy Goat » Wed May 16, 2018 1:01 am

vallen wrote:Jim Dolan dont know basketball but hes a PR machine.

He's neither. He just owns the most lucrative piece of real estate in NYC.
ohboy109
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#20 » by ohboy109 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 am

Exactly i dont trust Mills or Perry they have not done nothing special in the nba yet, i even question the Fix hire guy has a 50-51 carerr record smh

Return to New York Knicks