ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,645

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#3021 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 am

Here's an excellent read from Metsblog on the present state of the Mets and what looms as we attempt to assess this quality of this team.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/where-mickey-callaway-stands-after-a-rough-week/276728596
Free Palestine
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#3022 » by Mecca » Tue May 15, 2018 6:05 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Here's an excellent read from Metsblog on the present state of the Mets and what looms as we attempt to assess this quality of this team.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/where-mickey-callaway-stands-after-a-rough-week/276728596

Here’s the short version.

You need Rosario to live up to the hype and run more. Wheeler needs to become a reliable #3. Conforto needs to get his weight back. Alonso needs to come up by ASB.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3023 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue May 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Mecca wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Here's an excellent read from Metsblog on the present state of the Mets and what looms as we attempt to assess this quality of this team.

You need Rosario to live up to the hype and run more. Wheeler needs to become a reliable #3. Conforto needs to get his weight back. Alonso needs to come up by ASB.

... for starters! :lol:

DeGrom needs to get healthy
Thor needs to be Thor again
Bruce needs to hit
Matz needs to pitch
etc., etc., etc.
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#3024 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Mecca wrote:

Rosario has to get on base to be able to run
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#3025 » by blueNorange » Wed May 16, 2018 12:54 am

alonso mashed #10
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3026 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 16, 2018 4:34 am

blueNorange wrote:alonso mashed #10

They said he can't really field.

Does he strike out a lot?
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#3027 » by blueNorange » Wed May 16, 2018 5:08 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
blueNorange wrote:alonso mashed #10

They said he can't really field.

Does he strike out a lot?

he cant but has improved some so far

no he doesn’t, also he hit another one so 11 on the year. he’s deserving of a call up.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,066

Post#3028 » by Jeffrey » Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Alonso has improved. He only has 2 errors so far, I need to check it again.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3029 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Alonso has improved. He only has 2 errors so far, I need to check it again.

I think he's lacking in range.
Free Palestine
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#3030 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Mecca wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:
Mecca wrote:You guys are right. Severino is no where near as good as DeGrom or Noah.

On a good day he's maybe better than Vargas, but even that's pushing it. Severino is having a good year so far no doubt, like I said all along he has filthy stuff. My beef has always been in baseball is that no one values consistency, for me that''s key with pitchers. Coming into this year look at Berrios in Minnesota, he was supposed to be the next absolute ace in baseball and he's had an up and down year thus far. Aside from Reub it's not like anyone really expected the Mets to be better than the Yankees this year, but lets not act like DeGrom and Thor just got traded for a bag of peanuts. DeGrom is having a good year aside from the injury and Thor is having a good year, just not a god like year in which we we're expecting.

Oh well, Severino got a taste of what it's like playing for the Mets with a quality start going to waste.

I'd counter that by saying after Noah and DeGrom's first 200 inning seasons, you were more than confident that they were aces. Berrios pitched what, 140 innings to an ERA in the mid-high 3's last year? I'm as big on Berrios as anyone, but his stuff isn't as strong as Severino's and he never showed the glimpses that Sevy did over a season.

A better comp would be the pitcher your Mets faced tonight. Luis Castillo was my sleeper pitcher this year that I projected to break out. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case for him. Even then, Castillo had 120 innings last year. Sevy had 200+ the playoffs. I'm just a believer that Severino, despite playing on the Yankees, gets so under looked by the average baseball fan for whatever reason and it blows my mind. Especially when his stuff is as good as any pitcher in the league.

To your Mets, not being able to come through with the bases loaded really hurt you guys. Didn't like going Nimmo vs. Amir Garrett there. I like the Merasco move, but at some point the Mets are going to have to inquire about a starter. I'll keep saying go get Colon as he'd be cheap and eat innings to an ERA under 4 which is all you need.

Don't think he's gonna get overlooked much longer.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3031 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 17, 2018 2:13 am

We got clubbed today. Wheeler sucks. Has shown no consistency whatsoever. I'd get rid of him at the trade deadline if he doesn't turn it around immediately. I'm tired of his act.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,933

Post#3032 » by Stannis » Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 am

Wheeler won't net you anything. Just give him 2 more starts.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3033 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:49 am

Stannis wrote:Wheeler won't net you anything. Just give him 2 more starts.

I'm sure he'll get two more starts, at least. Nobody's making deals now anyhow. Ain't nothing happening until the trade deadline in July.
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#3034 » by blueNorange » Thu May 17, 2018 3:59 am

at some point you've got to make a bold move and callup alonso, he's improved in every category.

11 homers
33 rbi's
.685 slg
1.163 ops

he has 25 walks already after only having 27 all of last season. let him improve his defense in the majors.

mah man raking.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3035 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 17, 2018 4:35 pm

blueNorange wrote:at some point you've got to make a bold move and callup alonso, he's improved in every category.

11 homers
33 rbi's
.685 slg
1.163 ops

he has 25 walks already after only having 27 all of last season. let him improve his defense in the majors.

mah man raking.

Without the pitching, everything else is pretty irrelevant. No reason to rush him at this point.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/5/17/17364246/mets-degrom-syndergaard-rotation-matz-wheeler-vargas-harvey-new-york

The Mets have two aces, and their rotation is still a complete mess
Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard are among the very best pitchers in the game, but the rotation as a whole has a 4.51 ERA.
By Chris McShane@chrismcshane May 17, 2018, 6:30am PDT

As the Mets have struggled over the past month, they’ve had issues on all parts of their roster. But when it comes to the team’s starting rotation, things have gone really poorly overall, despite the fact that the team has a pair of aces in that rotation.

At the moment, Jacob deGrom has a 1.83 ERA that ranks fifth among qualified starting pitchers in Major League Baseball. His last start was his first since his hyperextended elbow, and it was a weird one, but he’s been outstanding. Noah Syndergaard hasn’t been quite as dominant or pitch as late into games as everyone would like in the early going this year, but his 3.14 ERA is still the 29th-best mark in the game.

Because of the way the season has played out thus far, those two pitchers have thrown 96 innings—47.1 percent of all innings pitched by Mets starters. And the rotation still has a 4.51 ERA that ranks 20th in baseball. The starting pitchers other than the two aces have combined to pitch 107.2 innings with a 6.27 ERA.

Among the rest, Steven Matz has clearly been the best. He’s thrown 32.2 innings in seven starts and has a 3.86 ERA. Whether or not that’s sustainable is questionable, as he’s also the owner of a 5.50 FIP thanks to a sky-high rate of 1.93 home runs allowed per nine innings and a 10.8 percent walk rate that is much higher than his career norms.

After his start yesterday, Zack Wheeler has a 5.92 ERA on the season. And Jason Vargas looked so bad as he racked up his 13.86 ERA in his first three starts with the Mets that the team skipped him on this last turn through the rotation. Matt Harvey struggled mightily before the team designated for assignment and traded him to the Reds.

There aren’t any particularly easy answers at the moment, either. The Mets chose to approach starting pitching as a minor issue in the offseason, but what they’re getting out of the rotation right now isn’t really surprising. Maybe Seth Lugo or Robert Gsellman get a shot in one of those back three slots in the rotation and things improve. Maybe Chris Flexen or Corey Oswalt get called up at some point and put up better numbers than would be expected—or at least better numbers than the current members of that part of the rotation.

But there’s no blatantly obvious solution at hand. The Mets were comfortable rolling with the roster they brought into the 2018 season, and this is what that starting rotation looks like.
Free Palestine
Mecca
RealGM

Post#3036 » by Mecca » Thu May 17, 2018 9:14 pm

If Yankees come out and offer

Frazier/Andujar/Sheffield for DeGrom, are you considering that offer?

That’s 3 plug and play players in 2018 for the middle of your order.
Brooklyn Nets
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3037 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Mecca wrote:If Yankees come out and offer

I thought Sheffield was a LH pitcher. No?
Free Palestine
Mecca
RealGM

Post#3038 » by Mecca » Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

I thought Sheffield was a LH pitcher. No?

Yeah, but he’s almost MLB ready
Brooklyn Nets
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,582

Post#3039 » by mpharris36 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 pm

nope the mets/yankees tax for Degrom would be Torres. If we are watching Degrom win a WS (which he would because he is one of the best big game pitchers out there). It would cost you your prize possession.

those are good prospects bet they aren't headlining a deal for the one of the best pitchers in the game.

Frazier is an good prospect (plays left field so he doesn't play prime position) - strikes out way too much
Andujar is an overrated prospect in my eyes. He swings at everything. Once major league pitchers realize that he wont get anything good to hit.
Sheffield is probably the most interesting out of the 3...but still not a A prospect in my eyes.

For 2.5 years of control a top 10 pitcher in baseball...I need A prospects...not your B prospects.

I need the trade to HURT yankee fans almost to a point you don't want to do it. Only way i'm gifting you a WS title. Those 3 guys don't hurt you.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#3040 » by blueNorange » Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 pm

no,

degrom has shown he can still get outs with a 92 mph fastball(see his 2016 season) so his baseball longevity in terms of success will go on for awhile.

but i could see why you'd want someone that can pitch in the postseason, since severino can't(so far) ;)
LOL Y U MAD THO?

Return to New York Knicks