ImageImage

NBA Draft - Win the Lottery (5/15/18) or #11?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SeanBobcats
Senior
And1: 172

Re: NBA Draft - Win the Lottery (5/15/18) or #11? 

Post#61 » by SeanBobcats » Wed May 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Miles to me is a boom or bust type guy. I think in the right situation he's gonna be a very solid player. He seems like a guy Mitch could like, but who knows
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#62 » by Diop » Wed May 16, 2018 12:36 pm

LofJ wrote:SGA is the kind of player every coach dreams of having. He has one of the highest floors in the lottery in my opinion. Here's a great article on him that explains why he has the potential to be special:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4583889

That article really sucked me in, especially all the praise on his work ethic
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#63 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

LofJ wrote:Miles Bridges reminds me of McDermott. Thankfully Cho isnt the GM anymore, so I'd be surprised if he's the pick. I think the Knicks will take him.

Didn't Cho pass on McDermott for a guy who was the complete opposite?
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#64 » by LofJ » Wed May 16, 2018 1:17 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
LofJ wrote:Miles Bridges reminds me of McDermott. Thankfully Cho isnt the GM anymore, so I'd be surprised if he's the pick. I think the Knicks will take him.

According to Zach Lowe Cho was all on on McDermott, but the Hornets war room voted in favor of taking Vonleh when he fell. He ended up being a complete bust as well, but we hid that and ended up smartly trading him before the rest of the league caught on.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#65 » by Diop » Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm

SWedd523 wrote:

Brother Dave never forgave them for not taking him
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#66 » by fatlever » Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm

My initial completley uninformed opinion about who I like for our pick is z Smith.

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#67 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 3:11 pm

catch20two wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I haven't watched much of Miles Bridges, but I wouldn't mind the pick based on what little I know so far. It's interesting how polarized opinion is on him though.

Catch, what specifically do you dislike about him?

He’s a undersized PF (not really a SF at all in today’s NBA) that’s a questionable scorer who turn the ball over a lot and not much of a defender who stay in foul trouble (don’t block shots, don’t steal the rock).

Had a better freshman year than his sophomore campaign where he returned to college to try to increase his draft stock and help Michigan State win a championship but got bounced in the 2nd round.

Advanced stats don’t favor him. His body language during games can be demoralizing to fans.

If he wasn’t a former McDonald’s All-American coming out of high school with enough wealthy connects to keep him sitting courtside at NBA games for face value he would be a 2nd round pick.

I'm not nearly as hung up on PF/SF differentiation as I used to be. The league seems to be favoring guys who can defend multiple positions and he strikes me as potentially being able to do that.

The not winning a championship thing doesn't bother me at all. Winning and going deep is a plus, but losing early really isn't a minus in my book. With one and done anything can happen. The lack of year to year improvement is more telling, but it's hard for someone like me to differentiate issues like lack of work ethic and changes in team composition affecting his play - one of which is bad but the other being completely not his fault. Most guys need to be the right situation to work out.

Advanced stats not favoring him is the most compelling argument for me. Not getting steals is important - though team defensive philosophy can mitigate low rates for teams that emphasize not taking risks. Where are you getting your advanced stats analysis of these guys from? That's been one of my biggest frustrations this season without DraftExpress and some of the other guys I used to follow not posting as much draft stuff.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm

This entire thing is worth reading:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23515949/zach-lowe-2018-nba-draft-lottery-phoenix-suns-sacramento-kings

But this jumped out at me:
Buzz Peterson, the Hornets' assistant general manager and drawing room rep, told me he received a simple and blunt text message before the event from Michael Jordan: "You better move up." Gulp.

:D
My picks:
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#69 » by Braggins » Wed May 16, 2018 3:46 pm

catch20two wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I haven't watched much of Miles Bridges, but I wouldn't mind the pick based on what little I know so far. It's interesting how polarized opinion is on him though.

He’s a undersized PF (not really a SF at all in today’s NBA) that’s a questionable scorer who turn the ball over a lot and not much of a defender who stay in foul trouble (don’t block shots, don’t steal the rock).

Had a better freshman year than his sophomore campaign where he returned to college to try to increase his draft stock and help Michigan State win a championship but got bounced in the 2nd round.

Advanced stats don’t favor him. His body language during games can be demoralizing to fans.

If he wasn’t a former McDonald’s All-American coming out of high school with enough wealthy connects to keep him sitting courtside at NBA games for face value he would be a 2nd round pick.

I share your concerns about Miles Bridges, but the hype hes been getting from respectable draft insiders has kind of thrown me off. I figured the hardcore draft guys would bearish on his potential for the same reasons some of us are, but it doesn't seem to be the case at all.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#70 » by LofJ » Wed May 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Miles is really slow footed, he won't be a good defender in the NBA. I'm fine with taking a weak defender if the player is a guard (Monk), but no thanks to a hybrid forward that can't defend. To be a lottery pick at his position you need to project as a 2 way player.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#71 » by Braggins » Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Spoiler:
catch20two wrote:

I'm not nearly as hung up on PF/SF differentiation as I used to be. The league seems to be favoring guys who can defend multiple positions and he strikes me as potentially being able to do that.

He seems like the bad kind of tweener that isn't quick enough to guard faster perimeter players and not long enough to guard bigs, but idk. The lack of length probably won't be a major issue as long as he is quick enough to guard the top perimeter players.
StitchJones
Senior
And1: 233

Post#72 » by StitchJones » Wed May 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Personally, I think Miles Bridges is the best hi ceiling pick we can make at number 11. I understand what some of the detractors are saying but no pick at 11 is going to be perfect. You have to look at what the player is capable of and I think Bridges has the ability to be a nice scoring PF. He's got the same body type as Draymond Green and while he doesn't have the same motor, I do think he has more scoring potential than Draymond. Decent handles, athleticism, range and the physical ability to improve defensively.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#73 » by Eoghan » Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Diop wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:

Brother Dave never forgave them for not taking him

Ha ha, I don't think I've forgiven them for taking anybody not named Kemba. Dougie wouldn't have been an awful pick in hindsight though, at least it would've been less likely that he got in Clifford's doghouse as quickly as Vonleh.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#74 » by DY_nasty » Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 pm

StitchJones wrote:Personally, I think Miles Bridges is the best hi ceiling pick we can make at number 11. I understand what some of the detractors are saying but no pick at 11 is going to be perfect. You have to look at what the player is capable of and I think Bridges has the ability to be a nice scoring PF. He's got the same body type as Draymond Green and while he doesn't have the same motor, I do think he has more scoring potential than Draymond. Decent handles, athleticism, range and the physical ability to improve defensively.

Draymond Green is a tank and actually fluid.

Miles is a stiff. Dude is short Jae Crowder
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#75 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Not a miles bridges fan as of now. He went back to school and didn’t seem to get much better. Keep seeing him listed as 3/4 but dude is 6’6’’. Not great at anyone thing and seems to be a tweener.
LUpside not worth the potential downside.

Also not a Gilgeous fan either, he is seems like MCW.

Right now, I’m praying either Porter Jr. falls. If not I like Robert Williams and Lonnie Walker. Walker seems like a Donovan mitchell clone.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#76 » by yosemiteben » Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Not a miles bridges fan as of now. He went back to school and didn’t seem to get much better.

This is my main hangup, but I haven't decided whether that's fair to him.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

NBA Draft - Win the Lottery (5/15/18) or #11? 

Post#77 » by TheKingofSting » Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 pm

If Mitch hadn't made the catching up and getting a handle on the modern day NBA comment I could have totally seen him drafting Robert Williams. Maybe he still will, it just depends on what our long-term plan is.

I'm Team SGA but I could see Mitch picking someone out of the blue (no pun intended) and the board or draft chat goes nuts on draft night because he wasn't a top 5 bpa on the ESPN ticker but whoever it is everyone falls in love with before the regular season starts. My thoughts would be the same with a trade down and then everything still panned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 am

Robert Williams wouldn't be a terrible pick at 11. No range, but a solid defensive center? That's an OK modern pick in that range. Now who I would pick, but hey.
My picks:
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#79 » by catch20two » Thu May 17, 2018 1:19 am

Braggins wrote:
catch20two wrote:

I share your concerns about Miles Bridges, but the hype hes been getting from respectable draft insiders has kind of thrown me off. I figured the hardcore draft guys would bearish on his potential for the same reasons some of us are, but it doesn't seem to be the case at all.

They’re getting paid to keep him in lottery projections because I know damn well he’s not buying those courtside seats he’s been having to all those big games.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,516

Post#80 » by Bassman » Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 am

LofJ wrote:Miles is really slow footed, he won't be a good defender in the NBA. I'm fine with taking a weak defender if the player is a guard (Monk), but no thanks to a hybrid forward that can't defend. To be a lottery pick at his position you need to project as a 2 way player.

Completely agree. Miles is like that guy you bring off an NBA bench that can play a bit but never is really good at anything. Undersized, relatively slow, etc. Let somebody else try that experiment.

SGA has high upside and ceiling potential. Others around that spot or below are, at best, plug-in guys with clear deficiencies. I (unfortunately) believe he will rise higher than our pick by draft night.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.

Return to Charlotte Hornets