11%

Total votes: 45

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Re: Draft Watch 

Post#21 » by boogiesdad » Wed May 16, 2018 5:22 pm

I cant even begin to explain my disappointment in this lottery. I think we need to get creative and totally reshape this team that is in salary cap hell.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#22 » by VCfor3 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:We have the 4th pick.

My guess is we choose between JJJ and Porter. Ayton, Doncic, and Bagley are likely the three off the board but if one falls I think we'd grab them.

I was not surprise about the result. At this point, I'm thinking of trading down from the pick if the options become available.

Would you trade your pick for picks 7 and 22?

I seriously doubt it.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#23 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I was not surprise about the result. At this point, I'm thinking of trading down from the pick if the options become available.

I seriously doubt it.

Yeah, would probably need some sweetner.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#24 » by VCfor3 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:

I seriously doubt it.

The problem is that at 7 you are probably looking at Bridges, Carter, or Young/Bamba and missing out on Bagley, JJJ, and Porter who fit with the team better I feel like. 22 is nice but I don't know if it is worth it to the Grizzlies especially if they are planning on having Conley/Gasol for the next few years.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#25 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 16, 2018 6:15 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
I seriously doubt it.

The problem is that at 7 you are probably looking at Bridges, Carter, or Young/Bamba and missing out on Bagley, JJJ, and Porter who fit with the team better I feel like. 22 is nice but I don't know if it is worth it to the Grizzlies especially if they are planning on having Conley/Gasol for the next few years.

Yeah i get it. Trading down 3 spots is a big deal.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#26 » by SD2042 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 pm

boogiesdad wrote:I cant even begin to explain my disappointment in this lottery. I think we need to get creative and totally reshape this team that is in salary cap hell.

What ideas do you have in mind?
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#27 » by nymets1 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 am

Ayton, Donocic and Bagley look like they are going top 3 and Bamba might be going 5th to the Mavericks? Grizzles are the wildcard at 4 from the top 5 picks at least. Technically the NBA draft starts at 1st pick but the real draft this year starts at the 4th pick.

i'm guessing the Grizzles are between JJJ or Porter?
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,551

Post#28 » by BarbaGrizz » Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 pm

nymets1 wrote:Ayton, Donocic and Bagley look like they are going top 3 and Bamba might be going 5th to the Mavericks? Grizzles are the wildcard at 4 from the top 5 picks at least. Technically the NBA draft starts at 1st pick but the real draft this year starts at the 4th pick.

IMO is not a done deal that ATL will pick Bagley, as he don't see to complement very well John Collins. So I would be happy with either him or Porter.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Dr Manute
Pro Prospect
And1: 723

Post#29 » by Dr Manute » Fri May 18, 2018 12:29 am

looks like Doncic is content staying in Europe. Might pull a Fran Vazquez and not come to the team that drafts him. Suns are looking to Ayton with #1 pick.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#30 » by SD2042 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:54 am

Dr Manute wrote:looks like Doncic is content staying in Europe. Might pull a Fran Vazquez and not come to the team that drafts him. Suns are looking to Ayton with #1 pick.

Fran Vazquez is the bane of the Magic's existance. A wasted pick on a player who changed his mind on playing in the NBA.

BarbaGrizz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Ayton, Donocic and Bagley look like they are going top 3 and Bamba might be going 5th to the Mavericks? Grizzles are the wildcard at 4 from the top 5 picks at least. Technically the NBA draft starts at 1st pick but the real draft this year starts at the 4th pick.

IMO is not a done deal that ATL will pick Bagley, as he don't see to complement very well John Collins. So I would be happy with either him or Porter.

To BarbaGrizz, point, the Grizzlies are the wildcard in all of this. This gives me an idea of a thread I will start on this board.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,839

Post#31 » by Domejandro » Fri May 18, 2018 2:14 am

For what it is worth, I fully envision Memphis selecting Michael Porter Jr. with their pick.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#32 » by VCfor3 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:01 am

Dr Manute wrote:looks like Doncic is content staying in Europe. Might pull a Fran Vazquez and not come to the team that drafts him. Suns are looking to Ayton with #1 pick.

Others pointed out in the Doncic thread a good point: Doncic, his mom, and his coach have said he is coming to the NBA at some point this past year. Him now saying he isn't sure could very well just be him saying "I'm not thinking about it. Right now I'm focused on my current team and what we are trying to achieve." Just like one and done players will say they aren't thinking about it/haven't made a decision when clearly they plan on going to the draft.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#33 » by VCfor3 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:02 am

Domejandro wrote:For what it is worth, I fully envision Memphis selecting Michael Porter Jr. with their pick.

I wonder if it would be worth trading back a spot or two if this is the plan. Porter should fall (in theory) so netting another asset as well before taking him would be nice.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst

Post#34 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri May 18, 2018 3:26 pm

IMO The Doncic situation is very simple: he would never say that he's leaving his team while they are still competing.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#35 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:51 am

Porter cancelled his 2nd workout due to hip strain. Wonder how that changes things for our FO.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#36 » by SD2042 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:10 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Porter cancelled his 2nd workout due to hip strain. Wonder how that changes things for our FO.

Smells like a pattern is developing to a history of injuries. This latest injury may devalue his stock in the draft. If the Grizzlies were in complete rebuild mode, I would draft the guy like the 76ers drafted Joel Embied three years ago. Now with the latest news, I still stand on my post and would pass on this guy given where the Grizzlies stand as of right now.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#37 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 am

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Porter cancelled his 2nd workout due to hip strain. Wonder how that changes things for our FO.

Smells like a pattern is developing to a history of injuries. This latest injury may devalue his stock in the draft. If the Grizzlies were in complete rebuild mode, I would draft the guy like the 76ers drafted Joel Embied three years ago. Now with the latest news, I still stand on my post and would pass on this guy given where the Grizzlies stand as of right now.

One of the Memphis beat writers pointed out that the injury could potentially be a smoke screen. If Memphis or someone promised him and they wanted to keep another team from trading up for him then an injury right now would all but guarantee he falls to them. For Porter, he may prefer Memphis or Dallas or whoever over Sacramento. All in all I don't like it and hope Doncic or Bagley falls to us. If we take Porter I hope it is because we traded down and got a decent asset in return for our trouble plus we got a full medical examination of him prior to the draft that looked very good.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#38 » by rtblues » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:32 pm

How about the #7; the #22; Bobby Portis; and Denzel Valentine for the #4?
Would ya?
Or we could take some bad salary in the deal instead...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
BarbaGrizz
Analyst

Post#39 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm

rtblues wrote:How about the #7; the #22; Bobby Portis; and Denzel Valentine for the #4?
Would ya?
Or we could take some bad salary in the deal instead...

If Bagley and Doncic are gone I would do it.

BarbaGrizz
Analyst

Post#40 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Is anyone else here feeling that our FO will screw everything and let us down with some dumb and short sighted move? I can't wait the draft to be over so I can't get rid of this feeling.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies