ImageImageImage

Any hope for our young wings?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Any hope for our young wings? 

Post#1 » by Arsenal » Wed May 16, 2018 4:12 am

With all the talk about getting a MAX free agent to match the Celtics, we should realize that a lot of their success is from guys they've drafted and developed.

We have a trio of young wings on the team that got marginalized this year in favor of veterans so we could make a playoff push.

1) Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot 22 years old
2) Justin Anderson 24 years old
3) Furkan Korkmaz 20 years old

Does anyone have any faith that these guys will develop into contributors?

Personally I think we need to shed Anderson's $2.5M salary next year to help clear space for a MAX free agent, so I don't think he's in the plans. If we strike out he may be back though. I thought his 3 point stroke was improved, but he didn't play enough with his series of injuries to make a real impact.

I still think TLC has a chance. He's going to be 23 next year so it is critical for him to make the jump then. Our depth may get stripped so we may need him to play a bigger role. He was promising as a 21 year old rookie, but seemed to take a step back this year. I heard some rumblings he was dealing with injuries though.

As for Korkmaz, I'm not sure what to think. He needs to get a lot stronger to handle the physicality of the NBA. Perhaps in a couple of years he could become a contributor. I don't expect him to do much except warm the bench next year.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,340

Re: Any hope for our young wings? 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 am

No comparison against Tatum or Jaylen.

JA is most likely. Shooting can be learned while TLC/Korky doesnt have the physical tools, both have physical limitations
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#3 » by Mik317 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:08 am

not really.

Korkmaz by virtue of him not playing much and being a toothpick...but thats all he has on his side right now.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,561

Post#4 » by FireMorey » Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 am

Yeah, why not? I can see them being contributors. Maybe not elite contributors, but I can see them being quality players.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#5 » by kingofthecourt67 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:13 am

JA is the most promising of the 3. He's got good physicality, and the improvements on his release and accuracy from 3 were very encouraging.

Korkmaz was part of that unit that almost blew 20 point leads on multiple occasions with 7-8 minutes left in the game. He just looked overmatched. Sure maybe he will be more comfortable next year, but I didn't really see much to think that is going to happen.

TLC...he got enough opportunity the last 2 years IMO. He made some 3s once in a while and while he projects to be a good defender, his value is torpedoed by his absolutely terrible decision making and brutal turnovers on the offensive end. I hope he is better next year as I am sure they won't cut bait so quickly, but like with Korkmaz, I have trouble seeing it.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 709

Post#6 » by Kova » Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 am

Arsenal wrote:With all the talk about getting a MAX free agent to match the Celtics, we should realize that a lot of their success is from guys they've drafted and developed.

We have a trio of young wings on the team that got marginalized this year in favor of veterans so we could make a playoff push.

1) Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot 22 years old
2) Justin Anderson 24 years old
3) Furkan Korkmaz 20 years old

Does anyone have any faith that these guys will develop into contributors?

Personally I think we need to shed Anderson's $2.5M salary next year to help clear space for a MAX free agent, so I don't think he's in the plans. If we strike out he may be back though. I thought his 3 point stroke was improved, but he didn't play enough with his series of injuries to make a real impact.

I still think TLC has a chance. He's going to be 23 next year so it is critical for him to make the jump then. Our depth may get stripped so we may need him to play a bigger role. He was promising as a 21 year old rookie, but seemed to take a step back this year. I heard some rumblings he was dealing with injuries though.

As for Korkmaz, I'm not sure what to think. He needs to get a lot stronger to handle the physicality of the NBA. Perhaps in a couple of years he could become a contributor. I don't expect him to do much except warm the bench next year.

First of all, if we are talking about guys they've drafted and developed, than we are talking about Smart, Brown and Tatum.

These guys were 6th, 3rd and 3rd picks in the draft.

To compare them to TLC, JA and Kork (24th, 21st, 26th picks) is completely wrong. Even Rozier was a 16th pick if you want to consider him a steal in the draft (and he would never have developed like this if Thomas/Kyrie were healthy most of the time).

So you are comparing their top picks to our stash picks.

We should be comparing those guys to Simmons, Embiid, Fultz, Saric who are on the same level. I think we are doing a pretty damn good job developing those players. The jury is still out on Fultz I guess, but the other three are right there.

So when you say that we are looking to add another star to match Celtics (they already have Kyrie, Horford and Hayward), while our core guys are the aforementioned three.
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#7 » by JojoSlimbiid » Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 am

I still think TLC is gonna be good, just probably not here. He needs or needed to learn how to prepare to play basketball effectively coming off the bench. There shouldn't be this huge dichotomy between his play as a starter vs his play off the bench the last two years. His lack of preparedness shows a lack of maturity.

JA is fine and Korkmaz needed to come over at his age 23.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#8 » by Foshan » Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 am

I like the poster who pointed out the draft position of these guys. These guys are not ever going to be Tatum/brown type players. That said:

I love JA's physical size and improving shooting. If he hadn't been so injured, I think he would have played a much better role in the playoffs. I think he will have a career as a strong second string guy. Probably not here as we wouldn't want to pay him going forward. If we did some kind of deal where RoCo was on the way out, i might look into keeping him.

TLC... i really want to like this guy, but i'm way less hopeful than i once was. :( Would not mind moving him in a bayless deal. maybe he figures it out down the road... just not convinced.

Willing to give Korkmaz some more time. Really think he could be a sharpshooter for us... but we'll see.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#9 » by PLO » Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 am

Anderson is the only guy who got some minutes late in the season and in the playoffs because he's physically up to the task. TLC is 200 lbs, Korkmaz significantly lighter than that. Anderson is 230 lbs. Even a guy as advanced as Jayson Tatum was just totally pawned in yesterday's game against the Cavs just because physically he's very easy to run over at around TLC's weight.

This is the major thing that gives me pause with Mikal Bridges but makes me warm to someone like Miles Bridges. Miles Bridges weighs almost as much as Anderson and he'll put up a lot more of a battle against some of the stronger guys in the league compared to Mikal, T Rex arms and all.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#10 » by Sixersftw » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Simba can play. Assuming we don't go all superteam next year, he should get plenty of run and I expect some solid improvement.

Furkan is too young to say but there is some potential there. Dude's stroke is pure.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#11 » by PhilasFinest » Wed May 16, 2018 12:27 pm

I have not seen anything that gets me excited about any of them tbh.

I though TLC could have been a Thabo Sefolosha during the draft. He’s yet to display good defense, has a poor IQ,his shootings streaky as hell and he simply doesn’t have the finishing ability/vertical explosion to help as a slasher. He’s meh.

I’m fine with giving Korkmaz another development year, but I don’t really see anything special.

JA is an energy guy who doesn’t really bring much else. There’s guys in the 2nd round/G-league that can do what he does every single year.

I wouldn’t hesitate to replace any of them in a heartbeat.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#12 » by Black Mage » Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm

I have minimal hope for TLC. He really regressed this year. The only time he seemed to play well was when he was forced into the starting rotation due to injuries. There are some guys who don't play well off the bench, but I don't think he will be good enough to justify a starter's role. So he's kinda stuck.

JA has been in the league for several years and his jumper has looked shaky at best until early this year. Even then it was still a weakness. While he matches up body type and physicality with Tatum/Brown I don't think he'll ever have a good shot or offensive skill set. He's horrible off the dribble.

Korkmaz has probably the purest stroke, flashed some vision and awareness on both ends but rivals Ingram for player most in need of a week long binge at a McDonald's.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#13 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Each of them has a trait or two that makes them appealing and can probably contribute on the court in some way, but I don't think any of these guys can really ball in the sense.

I think we should definitely try to move 2 of the 3 to free up roster space so we can make new, hopefully better picks.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#14 » by mithrandir17 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm

If only we could combine all three players into one player.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#15 » by rzzzzz » Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm

i assume we're drafting a Bridges, unless the pick goes towards acquiring a world class wing. JA looks like a keeper IF he can make the kind of shot improvement we're seeing out of Saric. TLC and Korkmaz need to go somewhere they can play.
ILikeLollies
Junior
And1: 221

Post#16 » by ILikeLollies » Wed May 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Korkmaz will be fine.

Had a broken foot halfway though the year which would have set him back. And he finished the year shooting well.

Don't write him off.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#17 » by Kolkmania » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

I think TLC played with tendinitis in his knee all season (first reports were in the summer when he got injured playing for France), apparently he's recovering now. He's incredibly raw, BBIQ-wise, but also from a skillset perspective. But if he settles down and adds some weight to his frame there's potential there.

Justin Anderson played really well this season and I don't understand why he didn't get a longer leash. Most likely it's his three point shot, if he can get that up to a 35% he'll be a really valuable rotation piece.

Personally I'm not big on Korkmaz, I've watched a fair amount of him playing in Turkey, and he's always been a big liability on the defensive end. He needs to study Korver intensively, because he needs the work ethic and defensive positioning to hide his weak frame and lateral quickness.

So hope? Sure, but it depends on your expectations.
jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#18 » by jsa » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Interesting topic. Anderson made some contribution this year. I think his real abilities can be of some value with this roster. Additionally he improved his shooting, but I wouldn't want him to shoot too much. If Bellinelli re-signs, Korkmaz is a weaker redundancy. TLC has to use his speed and athleticism to better advantage to be useful, especially defensively. If there are no re-signs and no excellent wings taken in the draft, a good summer league and pre- season would help Korkmaz and TLC.It is a real wait and see.
jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#19 » by jsa » Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Interesting topic. Anderson made some contribution this year. I think his real abilities can be of some value with this roster. Additionally he improved his shooting, but I wouldn't want him to shoot too much. If Bellinelli re-signs, Korkmaz is a weaker redundancy. TLC has to use his speed and athleticism to better advantage to be useful, especially defensively. If there are no re-signs and no excellent wings taken in the draft, a good summer league and pre- season would help Korkmaz and TLC.It is a real wait and see.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#20 » by Stanford » Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 pm

JA will be in the league for another decade, although probably always as a bench guy. I can't see Furk and TLC sticking around, but who knows. I'm just some idiot.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers