Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#981 » by City of Trees » Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 pm

KF10 wrote:Dončić.

Impressive. I don't have that kind of dedication.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#982 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 16, 2018 10:02 pm

tyguy wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
tyguy wrote:The same thing was said about 2011. The clippers tossed their pick away as most were convinced it was weak, but then it produced Kawhi, Klay, Kyrie, Butler. Kemba Walker is also a good player that was in that draft. It may end up being poor, but we really don't know for certain.

There will be good players every draft has them but you can tell in high school if anyone in the class has generational talent ability nobody in next years class does.

That isn't always the case. Leonard and Butler are top 5 and top 10 players respectively and neither were pegged as superstars from high school. Kawhi Leonard is most definitely a superstar.

Also, just because you can't get a superstar doesn't mean you can't get a very good player. No matter how hard we try and rationalize this it hurts bad. The kings aren't in a position not to collect on young talent when they can.

Dude we finally got some luck moving into the top 2 and you're still harping about a trade we all know and agree was bad. Go sit in a corner with your pessimistic attitude and let us he happy for a few months.

It's also laughable you've made the assessment that nobody from this draft class is a star but we can't be too sure about next year. Lol
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#983 » by sacking123 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm

jazanetti wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:This is an easy one, just draft Luka. And anyone that thinks Fox, Buddy, Bogi and Luka don’t fit brilliantly are kidding themselves. These four can even spend time on the floor together. Joerger better be researching how to coach a free flowing, tons of ball movement offence because these guys are going to have a ball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Who will defend agaist Davis, Aldrige, Durant, Millsap in this lineup?

Sent from my MI 3W using RealGM mobile app

They don’t have to be on the floor do they? Ok I will play, Giles.
They will also be saying who do we put on Fox, Bogi, Buddy, Luka.
We can’t keep up.
I didn’t say they would be out there together for most of the game, they can and would see time together though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#984 » by No-Man » Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 pm

I like the idea of Aaron Gordon if you draft Doncic, he can check some bigger wings, like the LeBron/Giannis/Simmons etc, and you can hide Doncic in some shooter or non-threatening big, creating enough space for him gotta be difficult and I am not sure if you want to max him, but I'd be targetting that type of 4 to go with Fox-Bogdanovic-Doncic

for the Center just continue evaluating WCS, Giles and Skal, if one pans out, great, if not, you can get a guy down the road.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Re: RE: Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#985 » by KF10 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 pm

City of Trees wrote:
KF10 wrote:Dončić.

Impressive. I don't have that kind of dedication.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

Google is amazing!
No-Man
RealGM

Post#986 » by No-Man » Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 pm

KF10 wrote:If the Kings draft Dončić, I could really see this lineup really flourishing:

De'Aaron Fox
Bogdan Bogdanović
Luka Dončić
Harry Giles
Willie Cauley-Stein

6th man: Buddy Hield

The big x-factor would be Harry Giles. Is he fully healthy enough to make an impact in the NBA? Yeah, I heard the reports that he is 100% healthy and has been killing it in practice. But I still have my doubts. That being said, somehow, he turns into the player he should be, boys, we may have something special going on in Sacramento real soon!

Another variation of the lineup above is that the Kings use their cap space and sign a FA i.e. Aaron Gordon, Jusuf Nurkić, (or Julius Randle...who many here really like). I would love to get Jusuf Nurkić. I think him and Giles would compliment so well together:

De'Aaron Fox
Bogdan Bogdanović
Luka Dončić
Harry Giles
Jusuf Nurkić

6th man: Buddy Hield

Beautiful mix of attacking talent and defense.

That team has no shooting, Giles if anything is a Center, why in the world would you want to pair two Centers?

the Kings if they draft Doncic need a PF that can get bigger wings in defensive assignments, run the floor, finish, switch and shoot at least avg 3-ball for his position

that team would be a disaster both on D and O
kingjawn100
Senior
And1: 106

Post#987 » by kingjawn100 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
codydaze wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:Not to kill the vibe but there already is chatter of 'what if Luka doesn't want to play in Sacramento'. He hasn't exactly said he's definitely playing in the NBA next year and he is still under contract overseas and Sac isn't exactly the most desirable destination.

If we have no firm guarantee that he'll come over what then? We could always draft him, hope he comes over right away and if he doesn't then trade his rights.

Better option in that doomsday scenario would be to trade down a spot or 2 and take JJJ or MPJ but we'd really have no leverage.

I'd hate to have to move additional assets to trade up to 1 if Luka didn't want to come here.

All speculation at this point.

Where? Luka is close friends with Bogdan, I don't see this being a realistic possibility at all.

It sounded more like Givony and Woj were talking about going to a team that isn't winning right away. Honestly, if Joerger continues to coach the way he did with the young guys later in the year and ditch the Willie post ups, clear the paint, and use more catch and shoot game then this team might be the best fit for him. They play a very team oriented style.

I'm not totally unsure Bagley doesn't have a shot to be number 1 or if another situation like with Philly and Boston last year happens.

I'm 100% against Bagley going top 2 or to a team that needs a #1 scoring option. His defense is so horrendous that he'll end up being a minus player no matter how good he is offensively (and his defense will be even worse once he has to play man to man next year). And the scary thing is that 90% of the shots i saw him make last year were either dunks or layups. Once he plays against similar athletes in the NBA his he won't be able to just out-athlete everyone.

I do think the perfect situation for him is memphis. They have a rim protecting center and he's be the 3rd option offensively where he could put up some pretty good numbers.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#988 » by KF10 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Fischella wrote:I like the idea of Aaron Gordon if you draft Doncic, he can check some bigger wings, like the LeBron/Giannis/Simmons etc, and you can hide Doncic in some shooter or non-threatening big, creating enough space for him gotta be difficult and I am not sure if you want to max him, but I'd be targetting that type of 4 to go with Fox-Bogdanovic-Doncic

for the Center just continue evaluating WCS, Giles and Skal, if one pans out, great, if not, you can get a guy down the road.

I like Aaron Gordon too.

I like the step he took where he improved his shot to the 3PT line. It is still a work in progress but it's getting better and better every year.

I still like my idea more where the Kings target Nurkić at C and let Giles play at the 4.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#989 » by KF10 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Fischella wrote:That team has no shooting, Giles if anything is a Center, why in the world would you want to pair two Centers?

the Kings if they draft Doncic need a PF that can get bigger wings in defensive assignments, run the floor, finish, switch and shoot at least avg 3-ball for his position

This is under the assumption that the reports of Giles' offensive game has expanded. There are reports that he is an amazing passer, creator and has a sweet J. The reports coming out of the Kings is that the kid is an absolute stud at both ends of the floor. That is what I'm going by with.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#990 » by No-Man » Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 pm

KF10 wrote:
Fischella wrote:That team has no shooting, Giles if anything is a Center, why in the world would you want to pair two Centers?

This is under the assumption that the reports of Giles' offensive game has expanded. There are reports that he is an amazing passer, creator and has a sweet J. The reports coming out of the Kings is that the kid is an absolute stud at both ends of the floor. That is what I'm going by with.

still, if he is that great, that's much better if he is a C than he is a PF, and the threshold of level to get through in terms of skill level is much higher for a 4 than a C too

you think Giles is a high volume high 30% 3pt shooter? no right? you think willie would be that? well, then you can't play them together with, and esp not with Fox
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#991 » by KF10 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Nurkić has range from the mid range too. So, there are shooting abilities from the bigs.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#992 » by No-Man » Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 pm

KF10 wrote:
Fischella wrote:I like the idea of Aaron Gordon if you draft Doncic, he can check some bigger wings, like the LeBron/Giannis/Simmons etc, and you can hide Doncic in some shooter or non-threatening big, creating enough space for him gotta be difficult and I am not sure if you want to max him, but I'd be targetting that type of 4 to go with Fox-Bogdanovic-Doncic

I like Aaron Gordon too.

I like the step he took where he improved his shot to the 3PT line. It is still a work in progress but it's getting better and better every year.

I still like my idea more where the Kings target Nurkić at C and let Giles play at the 4.

Nurkic? like why? what in the world?
No-Man
RealGM

Post#993 » by No-Man » Wed May 16, 2018 10:32 pm

KF10 wrote:Nurkić has range from the mid range too. So, there are shooting abilities from the bigs.

Please, look at the playoffs in the last 5-10 years, find me an example of a quality team without a big that can shoot 3s in a high volume
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#994 » by KF10 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Fischella wrote:still, if he is that great, that's much better if he is a C than he is a PF, and the threshold of level to get through in terms of skill level is much higher for a 4 than a C too

you think Giles is a high volume high 30% 3pt shooter? no right? you think willie would be that? well, then you can't play them together with, and esp not with Fox

I'm in the camp that defining players via positions is becoming out-dated. It is all about what a player can defend against. I believe Giles can defend the 4s and the 5s. On offense, sure, he can abuse the 5s more than he can do against the 4s. Still, he's gonna be a handful regardless who he is up against, imo.

Do I believe Giles become a high volume 30% 3PT shooter? I have no idea. It would be a good idea that Giles extend his range to 3PT range but I don't have enough current data about him to see if he can do it. All I heard that his offensive game i.e. passing, creating has been unearthed and he looks amazing. Very high IQ player from what I've heard.

Willie has shown that he can hit the mid-range J but it is still a work in progress. Even then, I don't see him becoming a threat at 3PT range. He's more of a rim-runner and lob threat who can show a bit of skill in the post.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#995 » by KF10 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Fischella wrote:

A big who has success scoring in the post, has shown mid range game and protects the rim at a high level. He may not have 3PT range, but everything else, he excels. The biggest problem I can think of is that he can be stuck on an island if he is brought in the perimeter off from a defensive switch. His lateral quickness is a concern. That's is why I think Giles picks up the most of the difficult defensive assignments to minimize Nurkić deficiencies.

The Rockets starts Capela and he can't shoot a lick. The Warriors plays Zaza and McGee a good chunk almost every game.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#996 » by codydaze » Wed May 16, 2018 10:46 pm

KF10 wrote:
Fischella wrote:still, if he is that great, that's much better if he is a C than he is a PF, and the threshold of level to get through in terms of skill level is much higher for a 4 than a C too

I'm in the camp that defining players via positions is becoming out-dated. It is all about what a player can defend against. I believe Giles can defend the 4s and the 5s. On offense, sure, he can abuse the 5s more than he can do against the 4s. Still, he's gonna be a handful regardless who he is up against, imo.

Do I believe Giles become a high volume 30% 3PT shooter? I have no idea. It would be a good idea that Giles extend his range to 3PT range but I don't have enough current data about him to see if he can do it. All I heard that his offensive game i.e. passing, creating has been unearthed and he looks amazing. Very high IQ player from what I've heard.

Willie has shown that he can hit the mid-range J but it is still a work in progress. Even then, I don't see him becoming a threat at 3PT range. He's more of a rim-runner and lob threat who can show a bit of skill in the post.

I'd have to agree with Fischella here that I'd prefer either Randle or Gordon at the 4 next to Giles at 5 than bringing in Nurkic and I even really like Nurkic. The league is going smaller and smaller every year and we still have Koufos (for this year at least) and WCS to slide in at 5 next to Giles at 4 if we ever want to go big.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#997 » by No-Man » Wed May 16, 2018 10:46 pm

KF10 wrote:
Fischella wrote:

A big who has success scoring in the post, has shown mid range game and protects the rim at a high level. He may not have 3PT range, but everything else, he excels. The biggest problem I can think of is that he can be stuck on an island if he is brought in the perimeter off from a defensive switch. His lateral quickness is a concern. That's is why I think Giles picks up the most of the difficult defensive assignments to minimize Nurkić deficiencies.

The Rockets starts Capela and he can't shoot a lick. The Warriors plays Zaza and McGee a good chunk almost every game.

what are you even talking about? Nurkic is a terrible finisher and post player, you are getting this all wrong, Giles picking up the most difficult assignment? Giles defending LeBron? Durant? Giannis? thsoe are the guys that play the 4 in the playoffs, it's either that or having Giles defending shooters, and yeah, who is Nurkic defending? he cant cover any explosive rim-runner nor he can defend a stretch five

as for the last point, the Rockets start Capela yep, with 4 guys that can shoot lights out around him man
The Warriors plays Zaza and McGee some, with 3 of the best shooters ever around them

What are you even trying to argue about?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#998 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
codydaze wrote:
Where? Luka is close friends with Bogdan, I don't see this being a realistic possibility at all.

It sounded more like Givony and Woj were talking about going to a team that isn't winning right away. Honestly, if Joerger continues to coach the way he did with the young guys later in the year and ditch the Willie post ups, clear the paint, and use more catch and shoot game then this team might be the best fit for him. They play a very team oriented style.

I'm not totally unsure Bagley doesn't have a shot to be number 1 or if another situation like with Philly and Boston last year happens.

I'm 100% against Bagley going top 2 or to a team that needs a #1 scoring option. His defense is so horrendous that he'll end up being a minus player no matter how good he is offensively (and his defense will be even worse once he has to play man to man next year). And the scary thing is that 90% of the shots i saw him make last year were either dunks or layups. Once he plays against similar athletes in the NBA his he won't be able to just out-athlete everyone.

I do think the perfect situation for him is memphis. They have a rim protecting center and he's be the 3rd option offensively where he could put up some pretty good numbers.

Saying he was horrendous is a bit exaggerative. I have less concerns about him than Ayton since Ayton will be expected to own the paint defensively.

Bagley is a quick jumper, but I wouldn't say he out athletes anyone. Go back to that highlight vid a few pages back and you'll see his mobility and craftiness with the ball is where his real talents are.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#999 » by No-Man » Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm

codydaze wrote:
KF10 wrote:

I'd have to agree with Fischella here that I'd prefer either Randle or Gordon at the 4 next to Giles at 5 than bringing in Nurkic and I even really like Nurkic. The league is going smaller and smaller every year and we still have Koufos (for this year at least) and WCS to slide in at 5 next to Giles at 4 if we ever want to go big.

Randle is another 5, he has thrived at that position, the ideal 4 for this team has to be able to check elite wings for long periods of time, Julius can't do that, he can switch on dudes for stretches, but not stick to a Simmons, Giannis, etc, for a whole game

Gordon makes sense
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#1000 » by codydaze » Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Fischella wrote:
codydaze wrote:
KF10 wrote:

Randle is another 5, he has thrived at that position, the ideal 4 for this team has to be able to check elite wings for long periods of time, Julius can't do that, he can switch on dudes for stretches, but not stick to a Simmons, Giannis, etc, for a whole game

Gordon makes sense

Gordon would probably fit better but I'd be fine with either, I just think Randle is a more realistic option. Lakers will have a decision to make whether to match an offer sheet or not but I don't think there's a chance Orlando doesn't match any offer for Gordon.

Return to Sacramento Kings