ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Want What?!

Guard?
9%
Forward?
50%
Center?
5%
Trade Down?
10%
Trade Up?
10%
Hire KnicksTape?
7%
Fire Cap?
4%
Trade GONYK?
5%

Total votes: 105

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Re: 2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL) 

Post#1581 » by whocares1 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:42 pm

spree8 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:Trae is a better fit with Frank than Sexton.

Hate to break it to ya, but Trae is dookie and Mikal > Miles.

Haven’t heard that term since like 10 years ago and that’s okay. You’re entitled to your opinion. Be happy that the Knicks want your boy.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,722

Post#1582 » by spree8 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
spree8 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:i think bamba is great but i dont think i would take him over ayton/bagley/doncic IMO. he is right after them for sure though.

I had Doncic and Bagley (not Ayton) ahead of him back in January, but now I’m not so sure. Them 2, Bamba and Mikal are my favorite players for this team, but picking between them would make my head explode.

I like bamba but he does have some flaws that make me hesitant to pick him over the three guys I listed. he does have an inconsistent motor, he easily gets pushed around, not consistent on making reads out of the post.. etc

i can see why you’re very high on him due to his potential though. but I feel like ayton can be the best center in the league if he fixes his motor, bagley can be a very unique player if he gets a consistent jumper, doncic can be a multiple all star if he fixes his defense and puts his athleticism doubts to rest.

i feel like those 3 guys have higher floors than bamba and would most likely reach their ceiling than him imo

Thing I always hated about Ayton is his heart (dunno if that’s really fixable)... he’s got a lot of talent but I wouldn’t want someone who would leave my team hanging in the playoffs. I don’t think Bamba has a motor issue tho... he’s not Bagley, but he puts in work and enjoys playing defense.

Mo is a smart dude who seems to really wanna expand his offensive game even further. I think he could be a KG/Gobert hybrid when it’s all said n done... that’s scary. I dunno if Ayton will ever even be as good as Embiid is right now tho.

Doncic and Bagley have some concerns...not many, but I really don’t have any about Bamba.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#1583 » by N Y K » Thu May 17, 2018 12:03 am

i beat trae up a lot... he is pretty dynamic on the offensive end, but he is a MAJOR liability on the defensive end. That coupled with his size/measurables is just far too much risk imo. i wouldn't want to pair him with frank.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,285

Post#1584 » by RHODEY » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 am

To anyone in the know. How does Sexton compare to D'aeron Fox? Do they have similar games? I just read that post article comparing Sexton's quickness to Kevin Johnson and his athleticism to Russ Westbrook.If that is true it would be tough for me to not pick him...even if Mikal is still on board
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#1585 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 am

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1586 » by HEZI » Thu May 17, 2018 12:37 am

N Y K wrote:i beat trae up a lot... he is pretty dynamic on the offensive end, but he is a MAJOR liability on the defensive end. That coupled with his size/measurables is just far too much risk imo. i wouldn't want to pair him with frank.

Wouldn't a good coach be able to turn him into a solid defensive player? I think his size/measurements are just fine. How big is Mike Conley again? Tony Parker? If Fizdale is the coach we hope he is, brings the things to the table we hope he does, then he should be able to work with a kid like Trae Young without a problem.

But, I don't think Trae Young will be available at 9 anyway so eh I'll just monitor the kids career from a distance
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#1587 » by Illightinati » Thu May 17, 2018 12:38 am

RHODEY wrote:To anyone in the know. How does Sexton compare to D'aeron Fox? Do they have similar games? I just read that post article comparing Sexton's quickness to Kevin Johnson and his athleticism to Russ Westbrook.If that is true it would be tough for me to not pick him...even if Mikal is still on board

He's not faster than or as fast as Fox,
Similarties:
Attacking the rack
Clutch
Uses speed to advantage in attacking
Likes Big Moments
Aggression
Not Perimeter Shooters
Need to work on 3 point-shooting
Similar height, wingspan

Differences:
Fox is faster
Fox is a way better playmaker
Fox is a better defender

I actually would love to see them matchup after writing this.

He's more Westbrook without the same leaping ability, but has a better shooting form and a little more smarts at scoring.
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#1588 » by Triple C » Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 am

Read on Twitter
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#1589 » by fatalogic » Thu May 17, 2018 12:41 am

Have the combine measurements been released yet?
nykinoz
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#1590 » by nykinoz » Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 am

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

"Enes, we are drafting Carter if he is there to pair with KP, if you opt in, expect a reduced role"
Knicks fan since 1991
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#1591 » by vallen » Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 am

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

to talk about that extension.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,134

Post#1592 » by Fat Kat » Thu May 17, 2018 12:53 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,636

Post#1593 » by DaGawd » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 am

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

"Look man.. we're trading up for Bamba.. your services are no longer needed here"
BaF
Washington Wizards
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#1594 » by Dantares » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 am

RHODEY wrote:To anyone in the know. How does Sexton compare to D'aeron Fox? Do they have similar games? I just read that post article comparing Sexton's quickness to Kevin Johnson and his athleticism to Russ Westbrook.If that is true it would be tough for me to not pick him...even if Mikal is still on board

guys like De'Aaron and John Wall are taller and maybe a little longer so they can finish above the rim better. But Sexton is going to be just as fast in the open floor. I think Sexton is lower to the ground and has a stronger lower body/base at 19 yrs old so when he dribbles he might actually be able to change direction better in the open floor someday. He's only 19 yrs old and a couple months so he will get even more explosive the next few years.

Look how fast he is on the breakout out 1:32. Look at the guy behind him, he nearly loses his balance and falls because Sexton is so quick.

Now look how fast he is at the 5:24 mark with the push dribble here. He's like an elite wide reciever or elite striker in soccer that gets ahead of the pack with that crazy intital burst of speed.

and he can obviously get up as well.

"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#1595 » by newyorker4ever » Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

They have mikal going 8th....

That sounds very Knicks like for the kid that most of us want to go one pick before we pick.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#1596 » by N Y K » Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 am

HEZI wrote:
N Y K wrote:i beat trae up a lot... he is pretty dynamic on the offensive end, but he is a MAJOR liability on the defensive end. That coupled with his size/measurables is just far too much risk imo. i wouldn't want to pair him with frank.

Wouldn't a good coach be able to turn him into a solid defensive player? I think his size/measurements are just fine. How big is Mike Conley again? Tony Parker? If Fizdale is the coach we hope he is, brings the things to the table we hope he does, then he should be able to work with a kid like Trae Young without a problem.

But, I don't think Trae Young will be available at 9 anyway so eh I'll just monitor the kids career from a distance

good coaching could correct that, but not only is he a bad defender, he's a lazy defender. It doesn't bode well in my opinion. Thankful that someone else will bet on improving that...
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1597 » by reub » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 am

reub wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Ringer has MPJR going fifth, way ahead of Mikal Bridges and even ahead of Bagley.
Not bad for a scrub.

MPJr's pluses:

"
Sweet shooting stroke with a high release and soft touch, both off the catch and off the dribble.
Good ball handler in the open floor; can take the ball coast to coast.
Effective off-ball player who moves well on cuts and knows how to get himself open for catch-and-shoot 3s.
Plays with confidence offensively; never lets mistakes get in the way of making the next play.
With solid length and quickness, he’s potentially a versatile defender if his fundamentals improve.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#1598 » by newyorker4ever » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

damn, we'd miss out on both bridges. I think thats the worst case scenario

I don't know how long the Ringer has been around and doing these but i'd love to see what they said about S.Curry before he was drafted and see if it's close to anything they're saying about T.YToung and the same with W.Carter and match his to what they said about A.Horford.

Does anyone know if they were even doing these long enough to have one on Horford or Curry??
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#1599 » by whocares1 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:08 am

There’s only a handful of people that have Westbrook’s athleticism and Sexton isn’t one of them.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,285

Post#1600 » by RHODEY » Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 am

Dantares wrote:

guys like De'Aaron and John Wall are taller and maybe a little longer so they can finish above the rim better. But Sexton is going to be just as fast in the open floor. I think Sexton is lower to the ground and has a stronger lower body/base at 19 yrs old so when he dribbles he might actually be able to change direction better in the open floor someday. He's only 19 yrs old and a couple months so he will get even more explosive the next few years.

Look how fast he is on the breakout out 1:32. Look at the guy behind him, he nearly loses his balance and falls because Sexton is so quick.

Now look how fast he is at the 5:24 mark with the push dribble here. He's like an elite wide reciever or elite striker in soccer that gets ahead of the pack with that crazy intital burst of speed.

and he can obviously get up as well.

Thanks ... this kid will be way better than Dennis Smith..I think we may pick him if he's available.

Return to New York Knicks