ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Want What?!

Guard?
9%
Forward?
50%
Center?
5%
Trade Down?
10%
Trade Up?
10%
Hire KnicksTape?
7%
Fire Cap?
4%
Trade GONYK?
5%

Total votes: 105

levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Re: 2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL) 

Post#1621 » by levendis » Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

dude is bringing the ball up from his knees. Wtf. I don't get the hype with this dude. I get he's crazy athletic. But all of his offense was posting up dudes and dunking. He hasn't actually showed any sort of guard skills.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#1622 » by N Y K » Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 am

HEZI wrote:
N Y K wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Nah, he's shown he can play really good defense if he locks in. His strategy has been to stay out of foul trouble so many times you will see him avoid picking up any fouls in the first half and then play more aggressive in the 2nd half. Basically trying to make sure he's always on the floor knowing his team desperately needing him out there. With him still only being 19 years old, if he lands in the right situation where a coach is willing to work with him and hold him accountable and demand more out of him then I have no doubt he can turn into a solid defender. It would also help if he plays on a team that actually has a rim protector unlike that Oklahoma team which basically had no bigman whatsoever.

i simply did not see that last season. to me, defensively he is lazy, has poor instincts, and would be absolutely terrible to KP if he were on this team. god help that rim protector he plays with, because he couldn't keep anyone in front of him last year.

Nah, none of this is true. I just recently came across some of his quotes about his strategy and it confirmed everything I was seeing from him back when he was still playing.

lol come on, hezi... that's wild convenient for him to say... "i only suck defensively, because i HAVE to"

he's a nice enough kid, so i hope he gets it together. but like you said, he probably won't be available anyway. but if it were me, I'm absolutely passing on that excuse and going with someone that actually has two-way potential.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#1623 » by Jose7 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 am

levendis wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

dude is bringing the ball up from his knees. Wtf. I don't get the hype with this dude. I get he's crazy athletic. But all of his offense was posting up dudes and dunking. He hasn't actually showed any sort of guard skills.

release is super slow too..may have trouble getting shots off in the pros..
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#1624 » by jermsknicks » Thu May 17, 2018 2:51 am

Sexton has that Scary Terry swag and I would draft him if available. His jumpshot looks a little funny though, but his shot does fall.

He reminds me of a lil Collison and a lil John Wall. We need that penetrating PG that can finish strong. Fiz will teach him about spacing and locating the spot up shooters.
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#1625 » by AllanHoustonFan » Thu May 17, 2018 2:51 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

His shot looks like buns. Has a weird hitch to it like Mudiay.
#MKGA
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,220

Post#1626 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 am

Read on Twitter
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#1627 » by N Y K » Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Top 5 pick?? Idk.

he was a favorite of mine last year and was overshadowed by bags. his lack of athleticism was always a bit of a turn off to me for this knicks team.

kid is going to make some team VERY happy.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,778

Post#1628 » by spree8 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:54 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
spree8 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I like bamba but he does have some flaws that make me hesitant to pick him over the three guys I listed. he does have an inconsistent motor, he easily gets pushed around, not consistent on making reads out of the post.. etc

i can see why you’re very high on him due to his potential though. but I feel like ayton can be the best center in the league if he fixes his motor, bagley can be a very unique player if he gets a consistent jumper, doncic can be a multiple all star if he fixes his defense and puts his athleticism doubts to rest.

i feel like those 3 guys have higher floors than bamba and would most likely reach their ceiling than him imo

Thing I always hated about Ayton is his heart (dunno if that’s really fixable)... he’s got a lot of talent but I wouldn’t want someone who would leave my team hanging in the playoffs. I don’t think Bamba has a motor issue tho... he’s not Bagley, but he puts in work and enjoys playing defense.

Mo is a smart dude who seems to really wanna expand his offensive game even further. I think he could be a KG/Gobert hybrid when it’s all said n done... that’s scary. I dunno if Ayton will ever even be as good as Embiid is right now tho.

Doncic and Bagley have some concerns...not many, but I really don’t have any about Bamba.

i mean i don't think ayton is a lost cause. remember he led arizona to the pac 12 championship. he played like a mad man in that tournament. so it's not like he was a no show all year long, he showed up for a lot of big games too. i was sold on ayton from that tournament tbh. he looked like the #1 pick by far. so if you can get ayton to play with that same mentality in the NBA, that's a really special player we're talking about.

bamba does have an inconsistent motor (not as bad as ayton though). it's one of the main reasons why he's not viewed as a top 3 pick, along with his skinny frame. i personally have bamba #4 on my board, so i still think he's a great player. i just don't think he is a good enough prospect to take him over ayton. but i totally understand why you have him ahead of ayton. i guess it comes down to whether you think ayton's motor is fixable or not.

I don’t agree with the inconsistent motor label... can he improve his conditioning? Sure. And like he said himself, without having to keep up with classes and maintaining good grades, he can focus 100% on being the best athlete he can be. It’s not as much mental as it is physical with him... the opposite can be said about Ayton.

But you don’t average 4 blocks per game and 1 steal with an 89 defensive rating and 9.0 defensive box plus/minus with a bad motor. That dude puts in work. As far as his frame, people said the same about KG, AD, and KP... he will grow.

Ayton was impressive in the pac 12 tourney (despite no real competition), but what happened that last game/elimination? I just think the guy needs a heart transplant. Maybe a certain coach can challenge him/light a fire under him enough to bring it out, but I just don’t see it. Going against these centers in the NBA, he’s gotta step up big time.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#1629 » by dakomish23 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Idk why I’m intrigued by this guy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,248

Post#1630 » by Clyde_Style » Thu May 17, 2018 2:57 am

spree8 wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting.

I don’t understand the concern about playing Sexton with Frankie provided they both improve their shooting.

Teams have multiple facilitators nowadays and Frank can still do his thing in the p&r often enough. They also don’t have to play every single minute together... throughout the course of the game, Fiz can structure their minutes to where one or the other is almost always in the game...have Frank with Trey a good amount too.

As far as the defensive end, we can still have Frank take on the opposing teams pg, and Sexton can guard sg’s no problem with his wingspan and strength.

I don’t see a reason why Sexton wouldn’t buy in and play within a system on this level... he won’t have to carry this team the way he did Alabama.

Dude is like a young Bledsoe with Westbrook’s mentality/aggression... def star potential.

That's pretty much why I was asking earlier. I had a first impression that Sexton might be a guard in the draft still available at # 9 with legit star potential whose game would translate to the NBA.

Avery was very aggressive about promoting Sexton's intensity, saying it was like something you'd see in players like the original Isiah Thomas. Zeke was a nasty HOF guard with the Pistons regardless of his weirdness as a Knick exec. He was one of the bad boys.

Anyway, what you're saying is more or less what I was wondering about him, i.e. is he coachable? and could he be a team player who becomes a legit defender under Fiz? Does he have enough natural IQ to mold for cohesive team ball?

from the sounds of some of the feedback here, maybe, maybe not. Seems some think he's mediocre on D and may never be a good defender, but

if he is coachable and is a Mitchell type pick, I was wondering about a Sexton-Frank backcourt with Trey being our 2nd unit PG.

Sure, that would probably consign Mudiay to the trash heap as he'd get no time then, but outside of that the real issue is actually Timmy and Lee.

After reading comments here and considering the backcourt situation, it just seems unlikely they'd pick Sexton unless they can line up trades for BOTH Tim and Lee.

They could theoretically sit Lee, but Tim? I don't see it.

So somebody would have to be moved to even consider Sexton IMO.
ImageImageImage
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#1631 » by NoLayupRule » Thu May 17, 2018 3:01 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
vallen wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:oh lord

I really don't want him here

man if he falls to #9 idk how you pass. i think hes going to become a great pro. I think hes built for this city. he wants to come here and he wont be afraid. lets do this!

I think people are worried about how much of the offense he was at Okl and all the shots he took and everything else but he's not gonna be that guy in the NBA when he's playing with other good/great players and veterans around him. He's not gonna be the player he was in college cause other players and the NBA coaches won't let him do everything he did at Okl.

Nah

I’m worried he can’t guard anyone and we have thjr next to him so we will have to play frank with him and hardaway at the 3 and we’re just undersized and terrible on defense all over the backcourt

That’s what I’m worried about
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#1632 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
spree8 wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting.

I don’t understand the concern about playing Sexton with Frankie provided they both improve their shooting.

Teams have multiple facilitators nowadays and Frank can still do his thing in the p&r often enough. They also don’t have to play every single minute together... throughout the course of the game, Fiz can structure their minutes to where one or the other is almost always in the game...have Frank with Trey a good amount too.

As far as the defensive end, we can still have Frank take on the opposing teams pg, and Sexton can guard sg’s no problem with his wingspan and strength.

I don’t see a reason why Sexton wouldn’t buy in and play within a system on this level... he won’t have to carry this team the way he did Alabama.

Dude is like a young Bledsoe with Westbrook’s mentality/aggression... def star potential.

That's pretty much why I was asking earlier. I had a first impression that Sexton might be a guard in the draft still available at # 9 with legit star potential whose game would translate to the NBA.

Avery was very aggressive about promoting Sexton's intensity, saying it was like something you'd see in players like the original Isiah Thomas. Zeke was a nasty HOF guard with the Pistons regardless of his weirdness as a Knick exec. He was one of the bad boys.

Anyway, what you're saying is more or less what I was wondering about him, i.e. is he coachable? and could he be a team player who becomes a legit defender under Fiz? Does he have enough natural IQ to mold for cohesive team ball?

from the sounds of some of the feedback here, maybe, maybe not. Seems some think he's mediocre on D and may never be a good defender, but

if he is coachable and is a Mitchell type pick, I was wondering about a Sexton-Frank backcourt with Trey being our 2nd unit PG.

Sure, that would probably consign Mudiay to the trash heap as he'd get no time then, but outside of that the real issue is actually Timmy and Lee.

After reading comments here and considering the backcourt situation, it just seems unlikely they'd pick Sexton unless they can line up trades for BOTH Tim and Lee.

Sexton-burke
Frank-mudiay
Timmy
Thomas
Kanter

Run timmy at the 3 until you find a sutiable deal for him. Whether its at the trade deadline or next summer.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,248

Post#1633 » by Clyde_Style » Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Sexton-burke
Frank-mudiay
Timmy
Thomas
Kanter

Run timmy at the 3 until you find a sutiable deal for him. Whether its at the trade deadline or next summer.

What? Start Sexton and Burke and bring Frank-Mudiay off the bench?

Waiter! I'll have whatever Green Arrow is smoking
ImageImageImage
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#1634 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu May 17, 2018 3:14 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Sexton-burke
Frank-mudiay
Timmy
Thomas
Kanter

What? Start Sexton and Burke and bring Frank-Mudiay off the bench?

Waiter! I'll have whatever Green Arrow is smoking

:lol: i meant sexton&frank starting with burke and mudiay as the backups.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#1635 » by Mecca » Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 am

KOQ on Desus and Mero right now. Sounds like he’s going to be back the way he’s talking. Didn’t know where to post this.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1636 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 am

spree8 wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting.

If he’s that good there’s no way he makes it to nine with a couple point guard starved teams picking ahead of us.
We need a forward. We need a guy that starts day one. Unless it’s Michael Porter Jr and we “trust his process” for a year while his back gets right. Either Bridges kid starts here day one.

But honestly bro? At this point, we have no idea what a Scott Perry team looks like or what his vision is here.
So maybe he doesn’t see Frank as the guy or even KP.
It wouldn’t shock me and quite frankly he needs to shake things up in a sensible way.

What cool about this draft is that even the guys I’m not clamoring for in Carter or Sexton are SOLID prospects. A guy like Lonnie Walker, Mitchell Robinson, Robert Williams, etc might land in the right situation and end up contending for ROY.

Scott got THIS job based a lot off the draft and summer he had in Sacto. It was an accomplishment getting a top collegiate guy in Deaaron Fox to not just meet with them but actually be enthused about playing for the organization. This is a team that couldn’t get guys to workout out for them.

The trade back looked genius too. Well maybe not genius but he turned Zach Collins to the upside of Harry Giles, and Justin Jackson (whom a lotta people were high on and if the former can get healthy he can be a player).

Then a few respected vets signed with them in Zbo, ol’ Vince and Hill. It was a money thing sure but it was a solid swing at credibility for the team that had to be applauded at the time. It didn’t work but it made sense. It was what that team needed at that time: credibility as a landing spot.

So we know he:
1. Ain’t afraid to trade back
2. Likes long shifty PGs
3. Isn’t afraid to select a high upside injury risk
4. Likes upper classmen later in the draft
5. Really liked something on Fiz’s resume; either on the development side or game planning. Cuz he hired him.

So yeah.
We’re gonna trade for John Wall.
Lol
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,378

Post#1637 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 am

spree8 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Thing I always hated about Ayton is his heart (dunno if that’s really fixable)... he’s got a lot of talent but I wouldn’t want someone who would leave my team hanging in the playoffs. I don’t think Bamba has a motor issue tho... he’s not Bagley, but he puts in work and enjoys playing defense.

Mo is a smart dude who seems to really wanna expand his offensive game even further. I think he could be a KG/Gobert hybrid when it’s all said n done... that’s scary. I dunno if Ayton will ever even be as good as Embiid is right now tho.

Doncic and Bagley have some concerns...not many, but I really don’t have any about Bamba.

i mean i don't think ayton is a lost cause. remember he led arizona to the pac 12 championship. he played like a mad man in that tournament. so it's not like he was a no show all year long, he showed up for a lot of big games too. i was sold on ayton from that tournament tbh. he looked like the #1 pick by far. so if you can get ayton to play with that same mentality in the NBA, that's a really special player we're talking about.

bamba does have an inconsistent motor (not as bad as ayton though). it's one of the main reasons why he's not viewed as a top 3 pick, along with his skinny frame. i personally have bamba #4 on my board, so i still think he's a great player. i just don't think he is a good enough prospect to take him over ayton. but i totally understand why you have him ahead of ayton. i guess it comes down to whether you think ayton's motor is fixable or not.

I don’t agree with the inconsistent motor label... can he improve his conditioning? Sure. And like he said himself, without having to keep up with classes and maintaining good grades, he can focus 100% on being the best athlete he can be. It’s not as much mental as it is physical with him... the opposite can be said about Ayton.

But you don’t average 4 blocks per game and 1 steal with an 89 defensive rating and 9.0 defensive box plus/minus with a bad motor. That dude puts in work. As far as his frame, people said the same about KG, AD, and KP... he will grow.

Ayton was impressive in the pac 12 tourney (despite no real competition), but what happened that last game/elimination? I just think the guy needs a heart transplant. Maybe a certain coach can challenge him/light a fire under him enough to bring it out, but I just don’t see it. Going against these centers in the NBA, he’s gotta step up big time.

there was a couple of games where i watched bamba and he was kinda just floating around. i've seen plenty of people talk about his inconsistent motor as well. it's not ayton bad, but he doesn't always bring that intensity.

maybe it's just me, but i'm not going to hold that one game against ayton when right before that he was going off like every night. bamba also lost in the 1st round so there's that.

we'll see what happens i guess
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,778

Post#1638 » by spree8 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:24 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
spree8 wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting.

He seems to have a good bball IQ from what I’ve seen, and appears to be coachable considering Avery’s always singing his praises. We just see him having to score at will to carry his team (20ppg while basically taking 1/3 of the teams shots), but I don’t think the idea of him playing within a system is inconceivable.

His defense is good tho... dunno who said it wasn’t, but that’s crazy. With Fiz coaching him... shyt, and alongside Frank, with KP protecting the rim? Cmon... that defense would be nasty. There’d be a lot of transition buckets from forced turnovers that’s for sure.

People are freaking out because the backcourt is crowded. Welp, there’s always the option for trades....we aren’t married to these players. Timmy can stay at the 3 for now and CLee can back him up. Burke can be the main guard off the bench/6th man, and Mudiay can stick around to play some minutes and get more pt in the event of injury. If the Celts have Kyrie/Rozier and Brown/Smart in their backcourt... we can manage Frank/Burke and Sexton/Mudiay.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1639 » by HEZI » Thu May 17, 2018 3:28 am

N Y K wrote:
HEZI wrote:
N Y K wrote:i simply did not see that last season. to me, defensively he is lazy, has poor instincts, and would be absolutely terrible to KP if he were on this team. god help that rim protector he plays with, because he couldn't keep anyone in front of him last year.

Nah, none of this is true. I just recently came across some of his quotes about his strategy and it confirmed everything I was seeing from him back when he was still playing.

lol come on, hezi... that's wild convenient for him to say... "i only suck defensively, because i HAVE to"

he's a nice enough kid, so i hope he gets it together. but like you said, he probably won't be available anyway. but if it were me, I'm absolutely passing on that excuse and going with someone that actually has two-way potential.

Was more along the lines of "can't afford to pickup fouls when my team needs me on the floor". That was college though and that pathetic team absolutely needed him on the floor every second of every game. Those things should change for him in the NBA if he lands in the right situation.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1640 » by HEZI » Thu May 17, 2018 3:32 am

levendis wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

What kind of shyt is this? I don't get it, who's teaching this kid to shoot like that?
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards

Return to New York Knicks