ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Want What?!

Guard?
9%
Forward?
50%
Center?
5%
Trade Down?
10%
Trade Up?
10%
Hire KnicksTape?
7%
Fire Cap?
4%
Trade GONYK?
5%

Total votes: 105

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Re: 2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL) 

Post#1641 » by Phish Tank » Thu May 17, 2018 3:42 am

Mecca wrote:KOQ on Desus and Mero right now. Sounds like he’s going to be back the way he’s talking. Didn’t know where to post this.

The interview is funny as ****. I was dying hahaha

Sent from a ntillmatic state of mind (or my phone)
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,458

Post#1642 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 am

Read on Twitter
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,607

Post#1643 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

im tellin yall dude is gonna be a major steal. just watch..
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#1644 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:48 am

Drafting Sexton instead of Mikal Bridges would be a huge mistake imo.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#1645 » by Clyde_Style » Thu May 17, 2018 3:50 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
What? Start Sexton and Burke and bring Frank-Mudiay off the bench?

Waiter! I'll have whatever Green Arrow is smoking

:lol: i meant sexton&frank starting with burke and mudiay as the backups.

Aight, keep puffing that corncob pipe son
ImageImageImage
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1646 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:52 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Drafting Sexton instead of Mikal Bridges would be a huge mistake imo.

I really don’t know anymore.

.....aaaand Game Of Zones juts got us.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#1647 » by spree8 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
spree8 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:i mean i don't think ayton is a lost cause. remember he led arizona to the pac 12 championship. he played like a mad man in that tournament. so it's not like he was a no show all year long, he showed up for a lot of big games too. i was sold on ayton from that tournament tbh. he looked like the #1 pick by far. so if you can get ayton to play with that same mentality in the NBA, that's a really special player we're talking about.

bamba does have an inconsistent motor (not as bad as ayton though). it's one of the main reasons why he's not viewed as a top 3 pick, along with his skinny frame. i personally have bamba #4 on my board, so i still think he's a great player. i just don't think he is a good enough prospect to take him over ayton. but i totally understand why you have him ahead of ayton. i guess it comes down to whether you think ayton's motor is fixable or not.

I don’t agree with the inconsistent motor label... can he improve his conditioning? Sure. And like he said himself, without having to keep up with classes and maintaining good grades, he can focus 100% on being the best athlete he can be. It’s not as much mental as it is physical with him... the opposite can be said about Ayton.

But you don’t average 4 blocks per game and 1 steal with an 89 defensive rating and 9.0 defensive box plus/minus with a bad motor. That dude puts in work. As far as his frame, people said the same about KG, AD, and KP... he will grow.

Ayton was impressive in the pac 12 tourney (despite no real competition), but what happened that last game/elimination? I just think the guy needs a heart transplant. Maybe a certain coach can challenge him/light a fire under him enough to bring it out, but I just don’t see it. Going against these centers in the NBA, he’s gotta step up big time.

there was a couple of games where i watched bamba and he was kinda just floating around. i've seen plenty of people talk about his inconsistent motor as well. it's not ayton bad, but he doesn't always bring that intensity.

maybe it's just me, but i'm not going to hold that one game against ayton when right before that he was going off like every night. bamba also lost in the 1st round so there's that.

we'll see what happens i guess

All players take some plays off... Bamba battling in the paint with that frame is tough work. I’m not worried about his effort, especially as he gets stronger. Ayton has no excuse with his size imo...it’s more mental for him.

Ayton got blown out by 20+ with everything on the line... Bamba fouled out in a 4 point overtime loss.

But yea, we can revisit this in a year or two... who knows what can happen.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#1648 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:56 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
What? Start Sexton and Burke and bring Frank-Mudiay off the bench?

Waiter! I'll have whatever Green Arrow is smoking

:lol: i meant sexton&frank starting with burke and mudiay as the backups.

Aight, keep puffing that corncob pipe son

Hey, try this crack pipe instead. Great way to pass the time until the draft. But don't bogart.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
spree8
RealGM

Post#1649 » by spree8 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:57 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Drafting Sexton instead of Mikal Bridges would be a huge mistake imo.

I don’t think anyone has suggested that, have they? I like Sexton, but only if Mikal is gone.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1650 » by Clyde_Style » Thu May 17, 2018 3:58 am

spree8 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
spree8 wrote:

I don’t understand the concern about playing Sexton with Frankie provided they both improve their shooting.

Teams have multiple facilitators nowadays and Frank can still do his thing in the p&r often enough. They also don’t have to play every single minute together... throughout the course of the game, Fiz can structure their minutes to where one or the other is almost always in the game...have Frank with Trey a good amount too.

As far as the defensive end, we can still have Frank take on the opposing teams pg, and Sexton can guard sg’s no problem with his wingspan and strength.

I don’t see a reason why Sexton wouldn’t buy in and play within a system on this level... he won’t have to carry this team the way he did Alabama.

Dude is like a young Bledsoe with Westbrook’s mentality/aggression... def star potential.

That's pretty much why I was asking earlier. I had a first impression that Sexton might be a guard in the draft still available at # 9 with legit star potential whose game would translate to the NBA.

Avery was very aggressive about promoting Sexton's intensity, saying it was like something you'd see in players like the original Isiah Thomas. Zeke was a nasty HOF guard with the Pistons regardless of his weirdness as a Knick exec. He was one of the bad boys.

Anyway, what you're saying is more or less what I was wondering about him, i.e. is he coachable? and could he be a team player who becomes a legit defender under Fiz? Does he have enough natural IQ to mold for cohesive team ball?

from the sounds of some of the feedback here, maybe, maybe not. Seems some think he's mediocre on D and may never be a good defender, but

if he is coachable and is a Mitchell type pick, I was wondering about a Sexton-Frank backcourt with Trey being our 2nd unit PG.

Sure, that would probably consign Mudiay to the trash heap as he'd get no time then, but outside of that the real issue is actually Timmy and Lee.

After reading comments here and considering the backcourt situation, it just seems unlikely they'd pick Sexton unless they can line up trades for BOTH Tim and Lee.

They could theoretically sit Lee, but Tim? I don't see it.

So somebody would have to be moved to even consider Sexton IMO.

He seems to have a good bball IQ from what I’ve seen, and appears to be coachable considering Avery’s always singing his praises. We just see him having to score at will to carry his team (20ppg while basically taking 1/3 of the teams shots), but I don’t think the idea of him playing within a system is inconceivable.

His defense is good tho... dunno who said it wasn’t, but that’s crazy. With Fiz coaching him... shyt, and alongside Frank, with KP protecting the rim? Cmon... that defense would be nasty. There’d be a lot of transition buckets from forced turnovers that’s for sure.

People are freaking out because the backcourt is crowded. Welp, there’s always the option for trades....we aren’t married to these players. Timmy can stay at the 3 for now and CLee can back him up. Burke can be the main guard off the bench/6th man, and Mudiay can stick around to play some minutes and get more pt in the event of injury. If the Celts have Kyrie/Rozier and Brown/Smart in their backcourt... we can manage Frank/Burke and Sexton/Mudiay.

Even if you could sell me on this, I still hate the idea of Timmy/Lee being the depth chart at the 3. That's not small ball by choice.

And you left out Dotson and Baker too. The backcourt is glutted as hell, so I simply do not see any of this being possible unless they trade some guards and use the loot to get another pick.

We do have Troy to develop on the frontline, but Timmy at the three ain't a good solution though unless the logic is its just a throwaway/developmental year so it doesn't matter.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1651 » by Clyde_Style » Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:

I really don’t know anymore.

.....aaaand Game Of Zones juts got us.

Big Snacks forever

They had Clyde talking like a cranky English librarian sitting on brass knuckles
ImageImageImage
spree8
RealGM

Post#1652 » by spree8 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:19 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
That's pretty much why I was asking earlier. I had a first impression that Sexton might be a guard in the draft still available at # 9 with legit star potential whose game would translate to the NBA.

Avery was very aggressive about promoting Sexton's intensity, saying it was like something you'd see in players like the original Isiah Thomas. Zeke was a nasty HOF guard with the Pistons regardless of his weirdness as a Knick exec. He was one of the bad boys.

Anyway, what you're saying is more or less what I was wondering about him, i.e. is he coachable? and could he be a team player who becomes a legit defender under Fiz? Does he have enough natural IQ to mold for cohesive team ball?

from the sounds of some of the feedback here, maybe, maybe not. Seems some think he's mediocre on D and may never be a good defender, but

if he is coachable and is a Mitchell type pick, I was wondering about a Sexton-Frank backcourt with Trey being our 2nd unit PG.

Sure, that would probably consign Mudiay to the trash heap as he'd get no time then, but outside of that the real issue is actually Timmy and Lee.

After reading comments here and considering the backcourt situation, it just seems unlikely they'd pick Sexton unless they can line up trades for BOTH Tim and Lee.

They could theoretically sit Lee, but Tim? I don't see it.

So somebody would have to be moved to even consider Sexton IMO.

He seems to have a good bball IQ from what I’ve seen, and appears to be coachable considering Avery’s always singing his praises. We just see him having to score at will to carry his team (20ppg while basically taking 1/3 of the teams shots), but I don’t think the idea of him playing within a system is inconceivable.

His defense is good tho... dunno who said it wasn’t, but that’s crazy. With Fiz coaching him... shyt, and alongside Frank, with KP protecting the rim? Cmon... that defense would be nasty. There’d be a lot of transition buckets from forced turnovers that’s for sure.

People are freaking out because the backcourt is crowded. Welp, there’s always the option for trades....we aren’t married to these players. Timmy can stay at the 3 for now and CLee can back him up. Burke can be the main guard off the bench/6th man, and Mudiay can stick around to play some minutes and get more pt in the event of injury. If the Celts have Kyrie/Rozier and Brown/Smart in their backcourt... we can manage Frank/Burke and Sexton/Mudiay.

Even if you could sell me on this, I still hate the idea of Timmy/Lee being the depth chart at the 3. That's not small ball by choice.

And you left out Dotson and Baker too. The backcourt is glutted as hell, so I simply do not see any of this being possible unless they trade some guards and use the loot to get another pick.

We do have Troy to develop on the frontline, but Timmy at the three ain't a good solution though unless the logic is its just a throwaway/developmental year so it doesn't matter.

I didn’t leave out Baker and Dotson. I’m not going to draft a lesser talent at a position of need because of Baker and Dotson, who played less than half the season at 10 mpg each.

I’m not trying to sell you on this... I was just addressing other posters complaints about a crowded backcourt. And again... you can trade players. CLee should’ve been traded already... so regardless of who we draft, that needs to be on the top of the priority list because his contract takes away from our 2019 FA money.

Tim played at the 3 this season so I dunno why he can’t play there again in a season where we aren’t even going to be competitive. Should be lookin to trade him too anyways.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,606

Post#1653 » by stuporman » Thu May 17, 2018 5:18 am

Was Olapido a guy who Perry drafted while with the Magic?

Maybe he can spot good guard talent.....Although he did give up the better player along with a pick to get Scrubiay.

I'm skeptical of him still.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,062

Post#1654 » by RHODEY » Thu May 17, 2018 5:48 am

spree8 wrote:

I don’t think anyone has suggested that, have they? I like Sexton, but only if Mikal is gone.

Im tornbut would be thrilled to get either....

Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1655 » by Clyde_Style » Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 am

RHODEY wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Does Mikal remind anyone of Al Horford?
ImageImageImage
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,062

Post#1656 » by RHODEY » Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
spree8 wrote:

He kinda reminds me of the other Celtic...Tatum.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1657 » by Clyde_Style » Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 am

RHODEY wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Im tornbut would be thrilled to get either....

He kinda reminds me of the other Celtic...Tatum.

I'll allow it
ImageImageImage
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#1658 » by Fat » Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 am

I dont see how we can go wrong all of mikal, miles, knox, wendell, sexton are good players in there own ways either 1 is fine with me on draft night @ pick 9
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#1659 » by Polk377 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 am

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:I dont see how we can go wrong all of mikal, miles, knox, wendell, sexton are good players in there own ways either 1 is fine with me on draft night @ pick 9

We can't. Either way all will be good to great players. Knicks will have the option of either the #2 SF, #2 PG, #2 SG, #2 PF or #3 C. I trust by the end of the process Mills, Perry and Fiz will make the right decision.........Miles :wink:
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#1660 » by DaGawd » Thu May 17, 2018 7:56 am

If Miles shoots the ball well in workouts.... I can easily see him hooking teams in with his elite athletic ability to go with that.
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks