ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Want What?!

Guard?
9%
Forward?
50%
Center?
5%
Trade Down?
10%
Trade Up?
10%
Hire KnicksTape?
7%
Fire Cap?
4%
Trade GONYK?
5%

Total votes: 105

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Re: 2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL) 

Post#1661 » by RHODEY » Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 am

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:I dont see how we can go wrong all of mikal, miles, knox, wendell, sexton are good players in there own ways either 1 is fine with me on draft night @ pick 9

Yep honestly with all these choices it feels more like a #5 pick than a #9....
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#1662 » by earthmansurfer » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:I dont see how we can go wrong all of mikal, miles, knox, wendell, sexton are good players in there own ways either 1 is fine with me on draft night @ pick 9

I sort of agree. We have to remember how great players look before the draft and how crappy most are after the draft.
I do like the guys you mentioned however, just saying, we really have to get this right.
I really think Sexton can be a star, Mikal is a complete player. Miles might have that IT factor as well.
Some great names there, trust in management.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,960

Post#1663 » by Besart19 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 am

If we dont have a shot at Kawhi as a free agent we have to draft up to take Mikal

Though I would "gamble" on Bamba and do the best to sign a superstar in 2019 FA class

Bamba, KP, Kawhi, Ntilikina, 2019 1st, THJ, Burke, O'Quinn, Bonga, Mudiay and Williams... Two veterans and two mid-level role players and you have a contender in the East
Strength and Honour!
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#1664 » by Triple C » Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 am

Read on Twitter
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1665 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 am

I really like this kid as a 2nd round/undrafted FA. Long PF at 6’9. LED nation in blocks and has all around skills. Sort of a Draymond Lite without the muscle/attitude.

This game shows his entire arsenal. He almost had a quad double. His passing ad vision are really good and he can handle a bit for a PF. He’s long too (7’5 wing span) and plays defense. Also a good spot shooter, idk why he isn’t getting more attention as a prospect. He’s projected to go undrafted right now.

BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1666 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:I really like this kid as a 2nd round/undrafted FA. Long PF at 6’9. LED nation in blocks and has all around skills. Sort of a Draymond Lite without the muscle/attitude.

This game shows his entire arsenal. His passing ad vision are really good and he can handle a bit for a PF. He’s long too and plays defense. Also a good spot shooter, idk why he isn’t getting more attention as a prospect. He’s projected to go undrafted right now.

Intriguing talent, for sure.
Like AK 47 meets Kyle Anderson.
Scott said it’s talent acquisition time.
He will definitely have his opportunity to prove on that.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1667 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 am

Not sure how anyone can look at Bridges and see Tatum. I’m one of the biggest fans of Bridges and have been since last year, as everyone can attest to, but that’s just off.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,960

Post#1668 » by Besart19 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:34 am

Burke / Mudiay
Ntilikina / Dotson
Mikal / Hardaway
Williams / Bonga
O'Quinn / Kornet

Good enough not to get a top3 pick next season
Strength and Honour!
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#1669 » by whocares1 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 am

FrontOfficeEye wrote:Not sure how anyone can look at Bridges and see Tatum. I’m one of the biggest fans of Bridges and have been since last year, as everyone can attest to, but that’s just off.

He’s more Brown than Tatum.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1670 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 am

whocares1 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:Not sure how anyone can look at Bridges and see Tatum. I’m one of the biggest fans of Bridges and have been since last year, as everyone can attest to, but that’s just off.

I don't see that either. He's really nothing like either, IMO. Like, at all.
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#1671 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Does Mikal remind anyone of Al Horford?

He kinda reminds me of the other Celtic...Tatum.

I'll allow it

If Mikal is there at number 9, you pick him and run. I hope this dosent turn like Steph Curry with us missing by 1 and picking up some crappy big man
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#1672 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:46 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:I really like this kid as a 2nd round/undrafted FA. Long PF at 6’9. LED nation in blocks and has all around skills. Sort of a Draymond Lite without the muscle/attitude.

This game shows his entire arsenal. His passing ad vision are really good and he can handle a bit for a PF. He’s long too and plays defense. Also a good spot shooter, idk why he isn’t getting more attention as a prospect. He’s projected to go undrafted right now.

Intriguing talent, for sure.
Like AK 47 meets Kyle Anderson.
Scott said it’s talent acquisition time.
He will definitely have his opportunity to prove on that.

He can hang out with our 2nd rounder last year, Onions!
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#1673 » by AllanHoustonFan » Thu May 17, 2018 11:50 am

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Classic Knicks RealGM board; setting unrealistic expectations on X player only to be disappointed.
#MKGA
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1674 » by malik959 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:50 am

spree8 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
spree8 wrote:

I don’t understand the concern about playing Sexton with Frankie provided they both improve their shooting.

Teams have multiple facilitators nowadays and Frank can still do his thing in the p&r often enough. They also don’t have to play every single minute together... throughout the course of the game, Fiz can structure their minutes to where one or the other is almost always in the game...have Frank with Trey a good amount too.

As far as the defensive end, we can still have Frank take on the opposing teams pg, and Sexton can guard sg’s no problem with his wingspan and strength.

I don’t see a reason why Sexton wouldn’t buy in and play within a system on this level... he won’t have to carry this team the way he did Alabama.

Dude is like a young Bledsoe with Westbrook’s mentality/aggression... def star potential.

That's pretty much why I was asking earlier. I had a first impression that Sexton might be a guard in the draft still available at # 9 with legit star potential whose game would translate to the NBA.

Avery was very aggressive about promoting Sexton's intensity, saying it was like something you'd see in players like the original Isiah Thomas. Zeke was a nasty HOF guard with the Pistons regardless of his weirdness as a Knick exec. He was one of the bad boys.

Anyway, what you're saying is more or less what I was wondering about him, i.e. is he coachable? and could he be a team player who becomes a legit defender under Fiz? Does he have enough natural IQ to mold for cohesive team ball?

from the sounds of some of the feedback here, maybe, maybe not. Seems some think he's mediocre on D and may never be a good defender, but

if he is coachable and is a Mitchell type pick, I was wondering about a Sexton-Frank backcourt with Trey being our 2nd unit PG.

Sure, that would probably consign Mudiay to the trash heap as he'd get no time then, but outside of that the real issue is actually Timmy and Lee.

After reading comments here and considering the backcourt situation, it just seems unlikely they'd pick Sexton unless they can line up trades for BOTH Tim and Lee.

They could theoretically sit Lee, but Tim? I don't see it.

So somebody would have to be moved to even consider Sexton IMO.

He seems to have a good bball IQ from what I’ve seen, and appears to be coachable considering Avery’s always singing his praises. We just see him having to score at will to carry his team (20ppg while basically taking 1/3 of the teams shots), but I don’t think the idea of him playing within a system is inconceivable.

His defense is good tho... dunno who said it wasn’t, but that’s crazy. With Fiz coaching him... shyt, and alongside Frank, with KP protecting the rim? Cmon... that defense would be nasty. There’d be a lot of transition buckets from forced turnovers that’s for sure.

People are freaking out because the backcourt is crowded. Welp, there’s always the option for trades....we aren’t married to these players. Timmy can stay at the 3 for now and CLee can back him up. Burke can be the main guard off the bench/6th man, and Mudiay can stick around to play some minutes and get more pt in the event of injury. If the Celts have Kyrie/Rozier and Brown/Smart in their backcourt... we can manage Frank/Burke and Sexton/Mudiay.

How is it that when we watch a video of Perry he is refusing to tip his hand on any player but then these guys come out and say "oh Scott Perry likes this guy and says he can play next to Frank because Frank can play off the ball?
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1675 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:53 am

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Classic Knicks RealGM board; setting unrealistic expectations on X player only to be disappointed.

I mean, I love Middleton and think he’ll be a high level two way player (more perimeter oriented Middleton, but Mikal has a post game even if it is all predicated on going to middle), but Tatum was a much better offensive player. From footwork to isolation, posting up, etc, Tatum had the full repertoire scoring the ball.

As for Brown, he’s more aggressive going to the paint and has always been like that. I don’t see that comparison (or relatable skill set) either.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1676 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#1677 » by N Y K » Thu May 17, 2018 12:26 pm

whocares1 wrote:

I really wanted to ignore this one, but...

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,568

Post#1678 » by Fat Kat » Thu May 17, 2018 12:32 pm

tuna108 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
He kinda reminds me of the other Celtic...Tatum.

I'll allow it

If Mikal is there at number 9, you pick him and run. I hope this dosent turn like Steph Curry with us missing by 1 and picking up some crappy big man

Yep

Pretend to go another direction, and grab Mikal and run.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Post#1679 » by WajaBawl » Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Besart19 wrote:If we dont have a shot at Kawhi as a free agent we have to draft up to take Mikal

Though I would "gamble" on Bamba and do the best to sign a superstar in 2019 FA class

Bamba, KP, Kawhi, Ntilikina, 2019 1st, THJ, Burke, O'Quinn, Bonga, Mudiay and Williams... Two veterans and two mid-level role players and you have a contender in the East

Bamba wouldn't be a "gamble". Arguably the guy with the highest upside in the draft, and IMO I'd take him over Ayton. Might as well stop discussing him as a potential draft choice because he isn't going to be nowhere near our range.
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Post#1680 » by mpharris36 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

I mean, I love Middleton and think he’ll be a high level two way player (more perimeter oriented Middleton, but Mikal has a post game even if it is all predicated on going to middle), but Tatum was a much better offensive player. From footwork to isolation, posting up, etc, Tatum had the full repertoire scoring the ball.

As for Brown, he’s more aggressive going to the paint and has always been like that. I don’t see that comparison (or relatable skill set) either.

I see parts of Middelton, Otto Porter, and a shorter but better defensive version of Rashard Lewis. Good 3 point shooter, has a bit of a post game and can catch and shoot through screens. Lewis wasn't the defensive player Mikal will be but there offensive games are similar before Lewis moved to a small ball 4.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ

Return to New York Knicks