Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain career?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Bill Russell career vs Wilt Chamberlain career

Bill Russell's career
76%
Wilt Chamberlain's career
24%

Total votes: 66

Archaeon
Freshman
And1: 2

Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain career? 

Post#1 » by Archaeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Do keep in mind that this is not about who better between those two. If you play in NBA, would you prefer to have career like Bill Russell where you are multiple NBA champions but with average ppg stats or Wilt Chamberlain career with only two NBA rings but with amazing ppg stats?
colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Re: Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain career? 

Post#2 » by colts18 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Russell
Better player
better winner
Only negative is slightly less money made
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#3 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Do I get to have sex with over 10,000 women too . . . otherwise Russell.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Mr MoJo Risin
Banned User
And1: 474

Post#4 » by Mr MoJo Risin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:35 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Do I get to have sex with over 10,000 women too . . . otherwise Russell.

How is your stamina? Wilt had a lot of energy :lol:

My answer would be Russell for career, but he was on better teams too.
colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Post#5 » by colts18 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:43 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Do I get to have sex with over 10,000 women too . . . otherwise Russell.

Good point. I'm sure there are a lot of guys here who would take 20,000 women instead of having an NBA career like Russell but having to stick with 1 woman.
MacGill
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#6 » by MacGill » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:39 pm

All athletes play the game for one reason and that one reason is what Russell and team accomplished 11 times, so BR.
BattleTested
Veteran
And1: 529

Post#7 » by BattleTested » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Is this a joke? Russell or Jordan is an argument, but 13 of the 16 seasons that Russell played in as an adult his team won the championship. He beat his greatest rival almost every time they played and won the last game he ever played against the same guy on his own floor.

If I'm Wilt, I'd be absolutely haunted by some of those Game 7's. Especially 69. Mentally I'm more like Jerry West in that losing hurts way, way more than winning feels good. Honestly I don't think I could find happiness for a long time if I dedicated my entire life to basketball and lost in such an agonizing way so many times. It would stick with me forever.

Yeah, it'd be cool to be a 7 foot millionaire and play volleyball on the beach and all, but ultimately Wilt will be remembered in history as somewhat of a loser. I'd have a very hard time getting over that.
Lakers fan since 99.

PCProductions wrote:NBA has probably the most parity of any pro sport.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#8 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 pm

You're a popular pro athlete. You can get a full bed of women every night with minimal effort. It's on you to do that though.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,709

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Im still confused by the notion that Russell is not supposed to also have had an impressive statistical career. I get 15 ppg (which is the only stat OP thinks matters I guess) isnt all that impressive but its not chopped liver especially when you add to it the 22.5 rebounds and over 4 assists a game from a guy people want to claim sucked offensively..... Oh and of course up those numbers to an absurd 16/25/5 in the PS.

Oh yeah and he's only the greatest defender of all-time but since there isnt a pretty little stat for that lets just call him a guy who scored a measly 15 ppg with poor TS% who lucked into playing on a superteam to win all those rings.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Post#10 » by The Infamous1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:15 am

Wilt is a better player russell had a better career.

What sealed wilt>Russell to me was wilts 1967 and especially 1972 seasons. He was asked to just play defense,rebound, block shots, and don't worry about scoring. Pretty much let the other guys carry that load, which is also pretty much bill Russell's job description his entire career.

And it resulted in one of the best teams of all time and a championship. What that told me was if wilt was put in that role his entire career like in Boston he could've done that same thing. Instead he was asked to carry the team offensively from day one which is what his coaches asked him to do.
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
Mr MoJo Risin
Banned User
And1: 474

Post#11 » by Mr MoJo Risin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:22 am

I think Wilt was the better player, but Russell has a goat career. I would choose Russell career over anybodies in NBA history.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#12 » by JordansBulls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Having sex with that many women, I am sure nowadays you would easy have some type of life threatening disease.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#13 » by mrsocko » Thu May 17, 2018 2:51 am

The Infamous1 wrote:Wilt is a better player russell had a better career.

What sealed wilt>Russell to me was wilts 1967 and especially 1972 seasons. He was asked to just play defense,rebound, block shots, and don't worry about scoring. Pretty much let the other guys carry that load, which is also pretty much bill Russell's job description his entire career.

And it resulted in one of the best teams of all time and a championship. What that told me was if wilt was put in that role his entire career like in Boston he could've done that same thing. Instead he was asked to carry the team offensively from day one which is what his coaches asked him to do.

He wasn’t asked to carry nothing. There are a million quotes about his stat padding or giving up so he wouldn’t foul out of a game. He was the biggest stat hog in NBA history.

And his teams lost because of it. Took him till 72 to see that Russell’s way was the best way.
Dick expectation level 0/5
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#14 » by JordansBulls » Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am

What a bump!
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#15 » by Pg81 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 am

colts18 wrote:Russell
Better player
better winner
Only negative is slightly less money made

No, not by a long shot. As to better winner, questionable since we have no idea how it would have played out if their roles would have been reversed.

mrsocko wrote:

He wasn’t asked to carry nothing. There are a million quotes about his stat padding or giving up so he wouldn’t foul out of a game. He was the biggest stat hog in NBA history.

And his teams lost because of it. Took him till 72 to see that Russell’s way was the best way.

Nothing but blatant exaggeration and outright lies.

BattleTested wrote:Is this a joke? Russell or Jordan is an argument, but 13 of the 16 seasons that Russell played in as an adult his team won the championship. He beat his greatest rival almost every time they played and won the last game he ever played against the same guy on his own floor.

If I'm Wilt, I'd be absolutely haunted by some of those Game 7's. Especially 69. Mentally I'm more like Jerry West in that losing hurts way, way more than winning feels good. Honestly I don't think I could find happiness for a long time if I dedicated my entire life to basketball and lost in such an agonizing way so many times. It would stick with me forever.

Yeah, it'd be cool to be a 7 foot millionaire and play volleyball on the beach and all, but ultimately Wilt will be remembered in history as somewhat of a loser. I'd have a very hard time getting over that.

Only by ignorant people.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#16 » by scrabbarista » Thu May 17, 2018 6:03 am

I wish i could see who voted Wilt, so i could know who to never be teammates with in anything.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#17 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu May 17, 2018 6:39 am

Then what happened between 67 and 72?

The sixers and lakers were more stacked than any team russell ever played with, and bill still beat them. wilt chamberlain didn't have to carry anything, he literally was a stat padder. he thought that breaking all the stats and stuff would do more for his legacy than winning, why anyone feels pity for him and his teams are beyond me.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#18 » by euroleague » Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 am

Voted wilt

I'd rather be known as the most dominant ever than have the most rings... by a thin margin.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#19 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu May 17, 2018 9:14 am

euroleague wrote:Voted wilt

I'd rather be known as the most dominant ever than have the most rings... by a thin margin.

Bill Russell doesn't have the most rings, he has the most rings as the best player on his team
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#20 » by 70sFan » Thu May 17, 2018 10:59 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:

Then what happened between 67 and 72?

The sixers and lakers were more stacked than any team russell ever played with, and bill still beat them. wilt chamberlain didn't have to carry anything, he literally was a stat padder. he thought that breaking all the stats and stuff would do more for his legacy than winning, why anyone feels pity for him and his teams are beyond me.

Bolded is wrong. We've done this before so many times, why people still say the same old stuff?

Return to Player Comparisons